• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Your First 30 Days as a Consultant: Tips for Success from Craigslist

In summary, the conversation suggests that the best way to generate business as a consultant is through personal contact and building relationships. Advertising on websites like Craigslist is not allowed by the company's policies and may not be effective. Instead, reaching out to people through phone calls and in-person interactions can be more successful. Other suggestions include participating in local fairs and events, approaching businesses for partnerships, and offering pampering events to potential customers.
ChefParty4U
I am a week old consultant reaching at straws on how to make the best of my first 30 days- which unforunately ends over Easter Weekend.

So I'm planning on putting flyers in laundromats and such, but wanted to know if anything such as Craigslist has been benifical to you?

Thanks for your help!!!

PC's policies prohibit us from posting advertisements on Craigslist and such. Check out the Policies and Procedures on CC for more detail on advertising guidelines:

https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/consultant_policy_guide.pdf

I have not had very great luck with flyers and passive advertising of that sort. The best thing you can do is get on the phone and start calling everyone you know. If they're not interested, ask them for referrals.

I do not think it is okay to post on craigslist....
I would think of other options, as others will report if they see it!!
Best of luck!!
Keep looking for fairs/events on craigslist, that may help!

Laudromats we can do. Craigslist we cannot do, due to no advertising the internet (except our webpage). Your posting will get flagged by HO. I have had success with grocery stores. Some stores require a date on your information, because they empty the bulletin boards of old materials.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for PC. Instead of being the "pc police" I e-mailed the poster and told her that it's not OK to advertise and suggested she take it down before somebody reports her. I haven't checked back to see if she did .... but I'm hesitant now b/c if I do report her she'll know I was the culprit.I do plan to ask about advertising on the local community sign.

If you are a member of Curves (or any other exercise facility) ask the manager if you can have a table, or at least put your catalogs (mini catalogs work too) out for members to take. If you get to do a table (FREE to you as a member at Curves), you might consider having a drawing (prize can be a Season's Best but you don't have to tell them ahead of time what they will win). My displays at Curves were a big boost to getting started in my business.

well shoot

I have kind of a "gray area" question.
I did list my website on there in response to someone's question. Kind of a responding "go here for more information" but it was on the discussion forum.

How do I get it off of there. i don't see a "delete" key!

I have had a success with Pampering a Buisness, last month I did, H&R Block, Made the Chipotle Chili bake, and took it to the workers. Then collected orderes from the workers and some customers. In Two weeks I am doing the local City Hall and firedepartment. Just some ideas.

@purple - Wondering how you approached the businesses about doing this? :) Sounds like a GREAT idea!

ChefParty4U said:
well shoot

You may want to rethink your approach to this business. Most of my bookings and sales have been generated through personal contact with people. Sending out emails and mailing flyers are "extras" that I provide to my "Preferred Customers" and not the way I generate business. I work my business into everyday discussions, and people are genuinely intrigued about our products and want to either buy or book a show once I've talked to them. Sending an email or posting something on a site will not create the "call to action" that you need to move your business forward. I'm not trying to be mean, so I hope you don't take this the wrong way - just trying to be helpful. Good luck!

I find too that Cathy is correct. I get more bookings from personal phone calls or actually talking to people rather than via flier or e-mail. even my past customers have a tendency to NOT book from e-mails I send! A personal phone call works much better. You know why, they can read the e-mail once, shut it, delete and "forget about it"! That can not do that as easily if I call. Plus it makes them feel good when I say, "I was thinking about you and was wondering if I can do anything for you?" Then you ask them if they can help you out by hosting a party.

See if there are any local fairs coming up. This is how I built my initial business. You may have to pay a little for a table at the fair, but if you can get 1 or 2 bookings, you have a new set of customers.

I have never gotten much out of fliers and such. As other have said it is the personal contact and building a relationship that builds a business.

I totally agree about the personal contact. :)

Where I curerently live, Illiteracy and fear of being Educated are extremely high.
People here cannot read.
Those that can, the only ways to advertise in my Community are Craigslist and the Radio.
I don't know what else to do, as I was considering CL; which is the most common and best form of advertising in my Community.

You probably can advertise an event posted on craigslist if it is advertised just as a cooking class - either a kids' cooking class, mom&daughter, couples, girls night out etc; People are willing to pay a nominal fee for an event -- and the PC products/recipes can/will sell itself.

What about hosting your own show and giving the host credit to the first person that RSVP's! Everyone will want the credit, your phone will be ringing off the hook! I would call everyone that you would invite personally and let them know that you would love there support. I am sure you could get at least 10 people! I You could have the show on Saturday, people should know by now if they have plans!

That might work, although am not sure anyone would ever show up.

Re: Craigslist.

I personally would be afraid to just post about my business and go to someone's home without meeting them first. There are a lot of scary people out there.

That said, I am currently searching on it for fund-raising postings. I then respond letting them know about my fund-raising services in the event they are looking to do other fundraisers. I've gotten 2 baseball team fundraisers going for April, which came through this approach.

Sometimes you just have to think out of the box.

I love the mall walker story HO sent out today. Find a local park and go for a walk, start a conversation with someone and see where it goes. Use PC logo everywhere you go. I had a lady stop me in MC D's, Sams, Staples....you never know who you'll run into.

You can do it! Get your goals and just go for it!

Great ideas... thanks all

flemings99 said:

That said, I am currently searching on it for fund-raising postings. I then respond letting them know about my fund-raising services in the event they are looking to do other fundraisers. I've gotten 2 baseball team fundraisers going for April, which came through this approach.

Where on Craigslist would you search for fundraisers?

flemings99 said:

I personally would be afraid to just post about my business and go to someone's home without meeting them first. There are a lot of scary people out there.

Sometimes you just have to think out of the box.

I love the mall walker story HO sent out today. Find a local park and go for a walk, start a conversation with someone and see where it goes. Use PC logo everywhere you go. I had a lady stop me in MC D's, Sams, Staples....you never know who you'll run into.

You can do it! Get your goals and just go for it!

- Can you post the email you send to people on craigslist looking to fund raise? I'm not quite sure how to word the email. Thanks!!!!

Just put fundraiser in the search box on the home page.

Karen: I didn't think to save a copy of what I sent them---wish I had.

I think it was something like....hope your fundriaser went well. I wanted to let you know about a fundraiser service I offer in case you were still looking to raise additional funds.

Then go on to explain how PC works + I put in the bonuses I offer.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
thats great barb, next time you do that, pls share what you say

Speaking of craigslist, I just found this post on my local craigslist:http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/hsh/1672115807.htmlNo personal information was given, which makes me think this person knows they are doing a no-no and have covered their steps. Or since this doesn't have personal information, is it allowed?

Definitely get the catalog tote and carry it with you everywhere, I just met someone at a flea market this weekend because of that bag. Also, something else you could try, find out what fundraising events are going on in your area and contact the coordinator to find out if you can help them raise additional funds. I just did this and got a cooking show fundraiser out of it.

pcnm2010 said:
Where I curerently live, Illiteracy and fear of being Educated are extremely high.
People here cannot read.
Those that can, the only ways to advertise in my Community are Craigslist and the Radio.
I don't know what else to do, as I was considering CL; which is the most common and best form of advertising in my Community.

Where do you live?

pcnm2010 said:
People here cannot read.
???

Do you live in the US? If people are illiterate and uneducated...I'm wondering how they would be savvy enough to use Craigslist? That requires reading, spelling, and computer knowledge.

The best way to advertise your business is by word of mouth. Talk to people whenever you are out and about, and host your own party for friends and neighbors.

pcnm2010 said:
People here cannot read.

I've never taken out an ad either in print or on radio. Actually, I don't think I personally have ever seen a PC consultant have an ad in the paper. I've seen Avon, but not PC. So don't worry that you can't do that in your area. It's not something that will make or break your business. ;)

Lots of consultants do remarkably well by just making contacts while they are out and about, or by doing a booth at a fair. Take old catalogs and leave them behind in businesses that you frequent (ask first if they don't mind first.) At your parties, try to get the bookings there. If not, be great with your customer service and those contacts may lead to future bookings.

I would advise against doing anything on Craigslist....I have known alot of consultants who have been reported by advertising on there, even if it's for an open house or anything like that. I just don't think it's good.

Can someone post what they write to people on craigslist about fundraising? I am not quite sure how to approach it

1. How can I make the most of my first 30 days as a consultant?

The key to maximizing your first 30 days as a consultant is to stay focused and organized. Create a plan and set specific goals for yourself, such as reaching out to a certain number of potential customers or hosting a certain number of parties. Use the resources provided by Pampered Chef, such as training materials and mentor support, to help you achieve success.

2. What tips do you have for success during the first 30 days?

One tip for success during your first 30 days is to prioritize building relationships with potential customers. This could include reaching out to your network of friends and family, as well as utilizing social media and other online platforms to connect with new customers. Another tip is to set aside time each day to focus on your business, whether it's planning parties or following up with potential customers.

3. Have you found Craigslist to be beneficial as a way to reach potential customers?

Yes, many consultants have found success using Craigslist to advertise their business and connect with potential customers. Make sure to follow Craigslist's guidelines and be clear about your services and products. You can also consider posting in relevant Facebook groups or on other online classified sites to expand your reach.

4. What other strategies do you recommend for promoting my business during my first 30 days?

In addition to utilizing online platforms like Craigslist, consider hosting a launch party or open house to introduce your friends and family to your business. You can also offer special promotions or incentives for new customers, such as discounts or free products. Networking with other consultants and attending local events or fairs can also help you gain exposure for your business.

5. How can I make the most of my first 30 days if it falls over a holiday weekend?

If your first 30 days falls over a holiday weekend, don't let it discourage you. Use this time to get creative and think of ways to incorporate the holiday into your business. For example, you could offer a special Easter-themed party or promotion, or reach out to your network of friends and family who may be gathering for the holiday. Also, make sure to plan ahead and use any downtime during the holiday to catch up on tasks and plan for the upcoming weeks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • PamperedinAvon
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen