• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Tax Claims: Tips for Listing Expenses

In summary, you can claim a portion of your electric, gas, and phone bills as business expenses if you also claim a home office. You can also claim an area for your electric, gas, and phone bills if you use that area for your PC and your business.
Becky0216
I know someone said you can claim lots of stuff on taxes. When doing my expenses, how do I list a portion of my electric, phone (can i do cell phone? its only really used for business), mtg., etc. I am just trying to get this stuff in order before it becomes a big mess.
Thank you.

Save your receipts and bills, and keep them with your tax stuff as documentation.I don't think you can claim a portion of your electric or gas bills unless you also claim a home office. But I'm not a tax professional. Phone is a little easier. Just estimate the percentage of usage that's business and put that percent of your monthly bill as an expense. For example: 50% business usage on a $40/mo. line would be $20 per month expense.I will restate, however: I am not a tax professional. Always get tax information from a tax professional.

thanks Ann, I thought I read that if I had a room designated as an office, I could claim that square footage from my mtg. As well as that area for my elec. etc. I guess I was wrong. I will just save everything for next year and see what happens.

You can - I don't because the space I use isn't used exclusively for PC, and it's a red flag for audits. You can probably find a website or a book at the library about the many, many deductions available. Some are more bother than they're worth, though.

Scanned receipts are now acceptable, because of online filing. Scanned images of receipts are a lot easier to wrangle.ETA: I am not a tax professional, nor do I play one on TV, so you might want to verify that statement.

I claimed a home office for last year since I use the area soley for PC and Chef Success! But it was only 7% of my total square footage of my house. We deducted lot rent, electric, water/waste removal and house phone. My cell phone is primarily business so I was able to deduct 80% of it since I do use it once in a while for personal stuff.

wadesgirl said:
I claimed a home office for last year since I use the area soley for PC and Chef Success! But it was only 7% of my total square footage of my house. We deducted lot rent, electric, water/waste removal and house phone. My cell phone is primarily business so I was able to deduct 80% of it since I do use it once in a while for personal stuff.
sounds like the same boat I am in. I have a room that is just my office. And my phone is used for Pampered chef and maybe a personal call once a week.

Did you use a professional tax person? I did this year because I wanted to make sure what I was deducting was okay. He let me have everything I gave to him.

i will be using a professional next year for sure.

I suppose this year would be your first year - DUH! I usually keep all my bills filed by month so for last year, I just pulled them all out, put them in an Excel document by category and showed just that has my "home expenses". That way he could see the separate. Then I had all my other stuff in PP. Mine asked me what each catagory meant and if it was for business purposes.

My tax guy lets us claim a portion of our utilities. I think he takes the number of rooms in our house & divides by that...

I agree contact an account. We have an accountant. I know many times "home office" deductions are red-flags for the IRS, but talk to a tax pro.

I just found out from my accountant how much I paid in taxes on my PC earnings. I almost died. How do you all work your businesses to make sure they are profitable enough after taxes and expenses to be worth our time? I really the the PC, but am a little discouraged. Any suggestions from this awesome group would be appreciated.

Related to Maximizing Tax Claims: Tips for Listing Expenses

1. What types of expenses can I claim as a Pampered Chef consultant?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you can claim expenses related to your business such as marketing materials, travel expenses for events, and supplies. You can also claim certain household expenses if they are used for your business, such as a portion of your internet or phone bill.

2. How do I submit my expenses for reimbursement?

You can submit your expenses for reimbursement through our online portal or by mailing in a physical expense report form. Make sure to include all necessary receipts and documentation for each expense.

3. Is there a limit to the amount of expenses I can claim?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of expenses you can claim. As a consultant, you are allowed to claim up to 30% of your total commission income as business-related expenses.

4. Can I claim expenses for meals and entertainment?

Yes, you can claim expenses for meals and entertainment if they are directly related to your Pampered Chef business. However, these expenses are subject to a 50% limitation, meaning you can only claim 50% of the total cost.

5. How long does it take to receive reimbursement for my expenses?

Typically, it takes about 2-3 weeks to receive reimbursement for expenses. However, this may vary depending on the volume of expense reports being processed. If you have not received reimbursement after 4 weeks, please contact our expense team for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • jrb0328
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies