• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Freshness: The Truth About Herb Keepers

In summary, things stay fresh in the herb keeper for a short amount of time, but if you put something in the herb keeper near the light it can last for a longer period of time.
LBurke
How long do things stay fresh in the herb keeper? I only use mine for cilantro and it doesn't last that long at my house cause I'm totally addicted to it! I had a customer ask at my last show.

I've had cilantro keep for 2 weeks. Depends on the condition of the herb when put in it. ;)

Asparagus (sp??) lasts over a week.

I have been so bad about buying it and then tossing it because it's bad that DH asks every night if we're eating it this time when I buy it. The first two times I used the herb keeper for it I had to explain over and over that I needed to know that it would keep. We have kept it in the herb keeper for up to 8 or 9 days with it looking fresh as when purchased.

Oh thanks for bringing that up. I have some asparagus at home right now. Tonight I'm going to put it in the herb keeper.

Like Janet, I've had cilantro last for over 2 weeks. I had a customer approach me just two weeks ago and tell me that she loves the Herb Keeper. She said her asparagus lasts "forever." I'm guessing that's an exaggeration. :)

It's sad that I'm admitting this.... but...

I was planning on canning salsa, and I had bought some cilantro. Well, I got home, threw the cilantro in the herb keeper filled with water in the back of the fridge on the top shelf (not that it is too important, but right by the fridge light). Needless to say I did not get around to canning, and I just threw it out... after a MONTH!!! It was barely browning, and had less than a quarter inch of water still in it. Maybe it kept so well because it was near the light? I don't know but I was very impressed. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I grew parsley in the garden this summer and had so much I forgot I had put some in the herb keeper to bring to a show at least a month later there it was still green & still crisp (may have even been longer!)

Hi there! Thank you for bringing up the topic of herb keepers. As a Pampered Chef consultant, I have used our herb keeper for various herbs and have found that the length of freshness can vary depending on the herb. From my personal experience, I have found that herbs like cilantro, parsley, and dill can last up to two weeks in the herb keeper. However, more delicate herbs like basil and mint may only last a few days. It is important to also properly store the herbs in the herb keeper by trimming the stems and changing the water every few days. I hope this helps and happy cooking!

What is a herb keeper and how does it work?

A herb keeper is a container specifically designed to store and keep herbs fresh for a longer period of time. It works by providing the herbs with just the right amount of moisture and air circulation, preventing them from wilting or drying out too quickly.

How long can I store herbs in the herb keeper?

The length of time you can store herbs in the herb keeper varies depending on the type of herb. Generally, leafy herbs like parsley, cilantro, and basil can last up to 2 weeks, while hardier herbs like rosemary and thyme can last up to 4 weeks.

Do I need to wash the herbs before storing them in the herb keeper?

It is recommended to wash herbs before storing them in the herb keeper. This helps to remove any dirt or debris that may be on the leaves, which can cause them to spoil faster. Make sure to dry the herbs thoroughly before placing them in the herb keeper.

Can I store different types of herbs in the same herb keeper?

Yes, you can store different types of herbs in the same herb keeper as long as they have similar storage requirements. It is best to group together herbs that have similar moisture and air circulation needs to ensure they stay fresh for longer.

How do I clean and maintain my herb keeper?

To clean your herb keeper, simply wash it with warm soapy water and rinse it thoroughly. Allow it to air dry before using it again. It is also recommended to change the water in the herb keeper every few days and trim the stems of the herbs if they start to wilt. This will help to keep your herbs fresh for a longer period of time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kkimpinski
  • wadesgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pattikake
  • cookingwithlove