• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mammogram Results - Praying for Good News

in summary, Janet's mammogram revealed an area that requires additional imaging. Her mother's cancer was slow-moving, so Janet is hopeful that the new imaging will show nothing. If it turns out to be cancer, her mother's cancer was slow-moving, so Janet is hopeful that the new imaging will show nothing. Her dh is Italian, so Janet jokes that he might shoot her daughters if they ever try to leave her. Stay positive, people!
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So I had a mammogram October 1st. I came home to a letter that it showed an area that requires additional imaging.

Most of these end up benign, but my mom has had breast cancer twice 15 years apart so my heart skipped a beat for a second.

Please pray that when I go in again it turns out to be nothing...

...and if you haven't had a mammogram in awhile or ever GO GET ONE!!!!

oh, honey~I am so praying for you. It will turn out OK....know how I know? They sent a letter and didn't call instead! No worries, OK?

ps-we got the letter and Rachel will write back over the weekend!

I am praying for you now. The great Physician will see to you.

Prayers coming your way.

I'll be praying for you - keep nothing but positive thoughts.

chefmeg said:
oh, honey~I am so praying for you. It will turn out OK....know how I know? They sent a letter and didn't call instead! No worries, OK?

ps-we got the letter and Rachel will write back over the weekend!

Great - Sammie will be excited! I'll tell her to write neater next time though! :D

Actually on the letter they said I should have gotten a call already from the doctor, if not call them.

Oh well, luckily if in the RARE chance it is cancer, my mom's was very slow spreading. Of course, I don't want to ever have to lose the "girls". Well, DH doesn't want them gone.

He offered to examine them tonight to make sure nothing was wrong. :rolleyes:

men.............can't live without them, can't shoot them either!

janetupnorth said:
Great - Sammie will be excited! I'll tell her to write neater next time though! :D

Actually on the letter they said I should have gotten a call already from the doctor, if not call them.

Oh well, luckily if in the RARE chance it is cancer, my mom's was very slow spreading. Of course, I don't want to ever have to lose the "girls". Well, DH doesn't want them gone.

He offered to examine them tonight to make sure nothing was wrong. :rolleyes:

I'm so sorry Janet. I'll be praying for you!

Your dh sounds JUST like mine! Is he italian? :p:p

Okay so I've been sitting here for 15 minutes debating on a comment so here I go.

First Janet, good for you for getting your mammogram in the first place and I don't know the exact percentage but I do know that there is a high number of patients that are called back and it turns out to be okay, so I will keep you in prayer. This is from 20 years of doing mammograms!

I must comment on the letter. It is the referring physicians responsibility to contact the patient with their results. Mammography is the only imaging modality required by the FDA to send a letter to the patient in laymans terms with the results. The reason for this is so that the patient doesn't assume no news is good news and doesn't fall thru the medical cracks and not follow up on a positive study. So even if a radiologist reccommends a biopsy, the patient will get a letter from the facility that performed the mammogram. It is not meant to be taken lightly and is not meant to be "uncaring or unfeeling" in any way. It is still the referring physicians responsibility to notify the patient of the results, the imaging facility has a legal responsibility to send the patient another letter. If the patient choses not to follow up or have a biopsy (and you all would be surprised how many patients get a mammogram but refuse anything else) the facility is required to send 3 letters and then a certified letter by mail to prove that they attempted to contact the patient. They can also call the patient if they get no response and document that. Point is please never assume with mammography that there is nothing to worry about because someone didn't call you and sent a letter instead.

Janet,
I usually have to go back after each mammogram for a followup too It is a tense time wondering is this the time they really found something. I will keep you uplifted in prayer.
I get one yearly and have for 11 years since I turned 30 (my mom is a 24 year survivor)
Stay positive!!
Teresa

PampMomof3 said:

Not one bit, but he's a GUY! :p

That's o.k., I'm used to him. Right after I gave birth to my first child, he walked up to my side and said, "Ready to have another?"

I never saw the nurses back up so fast! They thought I was going to deck him!

I just politely said, "Nope, not yet hun." :)

TammyStar said:
Okay so I've been sitting here for 15 minutes debating on a comment so here I go.

First Janet, good for you for getting your mammogram in the first place and I don't know the exact percentage but I do know that there is a high number of patients that are called back and it turns out to be okay, so I will keep you in prayer. This is from 20 years of doing mammograms!

I must comment on the letter. It is the referring physicians responsibility to contact the patient with their results. Mammography is the only imaging modality required by the FDA to send a letter to the patient in laymans terms with the results. The reason for this is so that the patient doesn't assume no news is good news and doesn't fall thru the medical cracks and not follow up on a positive study. So even if a radiologist reccommends a biopsy, the patient will get a letter from the facility that performed the mammogram. It is not meant to be taken lightly and is not meant to be "uncaring or unfeeling" in any way. It is still the referring physicians responsibility to notify the patient of the results, the imaging facility has a legal responsibility to send the patient another letter. If the patient choses not to follow up or have a biopsy (and you all would be surprised how many patients get a mammogram but refuse anything else) the facility is required to send 3 letters and then a certified letter by mail to prove that they attempted to contact the patient. They can also call the patient if they get no response and document that. Point is please never assume with mammography that there is nothing to worry about because someone didn't call you and sent a letter instead.

I know that being in the medical field partially...and believe me I am calling TOMORROW to make my next appointment. I don't ignore things like this.

Better checked and nothing then not checked and something!

Teresa Lynn said:
Janet,
I usually have to go back after each mammogram for a followup too It is a tense time wondering is this the time they really found something. I will keep you uplifted in prayer.
I get one yearly and have for 11 years since I turned 30 (my mom is a 24 year survivor)
Stay positive!!
Teresa

Will do! My mom is a 5 year survivor, a 20 year survivor and a survivor of skin cancer in between.

I'm hoping it is routine and there was just some dense tissue, but my mother's cancer was fiberous and only seen on a mammogram so I do need to check. I hope I beat the odds though. 1 in 8 women are affected by breast cancer.

janetupnorth said:
Not one bit, but he's a GUY! :p

That's o.k., I'm used to him. Right after I gave birth to my first child, he walked up to my side and said, "Ready to have another?"

I never saw the nurses back up so fast! They thought I was going to deck him!

I just politely said, "Nope, not yet hun." :)

Man, he really does sound like my dh!! IF you've seen the movie Definitely maybe, you;ll know what I"m talking about. My dh said after the movie was over "Do you want to rehearse?" I had to remind him no more babies for me that I'm tied!!! :p

janetupnorth said:
Will do! My mom is a 5 year survivor, a 20 year survivor and a survivor of skin cancer in between.

I'm hoping it is routine and there was just some dense tissue, but my mother's cancer was fiberous and only seen on a mammogram so I do need to check. I hope I beat the odds though. 1 in 8 women are affected by breast cancer.

Especially with the advancements of digital imaging, densities may seem more noticeable than on the last mammographies. It's good to get your additional views done and go from there. (Which I already know you said you were doing.) I have been transcribing mammography reports for the last 18 years and notice the differences in technologies.

Well, just got my mammo 2 weeks ago. They told me when I left that they might call me back for further tests via a letter.. and to not worry if I get a letter in the mail asking me to come back.. it is routine if they can't clearly see everything.. etc. So I wouldn't worry until you have something to worry about.. Up to 20 -30% are recalled. They usually do an ultrasound or re-do the tests. Now I totally understand you being upset because of your mom's history.. I will pray for you.. but relax!!

Janet - you know I'll be praying. Good for you being proactive.:thumbup:

Praying for you here in TN. I was told by a clinic's administrator that mammograms were only needed every 2 years and she refused to authorize one. The next year, I "made too much money" to get one from the Clinic. It's been 4 years for me but I do check them monthly. I had a lump probably 15 years ago and it was there for 2 weeks, went to my gyn...he felt it too...sent me for the mammo...and it WAS GONE! I told the tech it was prayed away and she insisted that I just didn't really have one. I said that the dr felt it too so it was healed by Someone... I know I should go but no money...no mammo!

Janet I will be praying for you.

I will lift you up in prayer! I have my annual girly exam tomorrow,:yuck: I know they are so necessary and they have caught problems for me in the past. I had 2nd stage displasia (sp?) after the birth of my son, it was almost to stage 3 which means cancerous. I have been with the same doctor since and he is so fabulous! He offered me a mammogram last year and I didn't do it, but I'm edging closer to 40 (almost 38) so I think that I will tell him tomorrow to go ahead and get me set up. There is not a history of it in my family but I know a history is not the only factor and that many get it without any history in their family.

I will be praying for you!

Praying for you Janet.
Hopefully, it is nothing, and they are just playing it safe.

OUCH!

Get that follow up, and meanwhile, comfort yourself in the knowledge that 80 percent of lumps are benign.

I promise to get a mamo next year when I turn 40 ... long story, but my insurance won't pay for it til then ... I remember at a Relay for Life training hearing an impassioned plea from a survivor for the American Cancer Society to reccomend lower ages for mamograms ... they said everyone should wait until they turn 40 UNLESS they have a family history ... glad you're getting yours early!

I'm praying for you. Let us know when you get it scheduled so I pray really hard on that day. :)

Hey I'm a survivor--6 years--praying for you now! Way to go getting that mammogram though! So many don't....

Di_Can_Cook said:
OUCH!

Get that follow up, and meanwhile, comfort yourself in the knowledge that 80 percent of lumps are benign.

I promise to get a mamo next year when I turn 40 ... long story, but my insurance won't pay for it til then ... I remember at a Relay for Life training hearing an impassioned plea from a survivor for the American Cancer Society to reccomend lower ages for mamograms ... they said everyone should wait until they turn 40 UNLESS they have a family history ... glad you're getting yours early!

I think I'd better check with my insurance!! Thanks for reminding me of that! Sometimes my insurance does stupid stuff like that too!:grumpy::rolleyes:

I'll be praying, Janet. For the last couple of years I've had to go in for what we call the "extra squish" mammogram. They haven't found anything on the second go-'round. You probably already know, but I find it less uncomfortable if I take an ibuprofen an hour or so before the squish.

I'll be praying for you Janet, positive thoughts

Prayers being sent your way. I've had a few scares in the past that turned out to be nothing. I haven't had a mammo in YEARS and since I turned 40 this year, I'll be calling to make my appointment. Thanks for the reminder.

Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way, Janet! I hope all turns out well.

I"m sure everything will turn out ok, better to know than not know...
I am not old enough for one yet, but I know that as soon as I am I am going to schedule one, my grandma had breast cancer, she survived, but her twin sister died from it. When I went in for my last exam a few months ago I tried to talk my dr into letting me get one and he said not yet.
Keep us posted! Crossing fingers for you!

chefsteph07 said:
I"m sure everything will turn out ok, better to know than not know...
I am not old enough for one yet, but I know that as soon as I am I am going to schedule one, my grandma had breast cancer, she survived, but her twin sister died from it. When I went in for my last exam a few months ago I tried to talk my dr into letting me get one and he said not yet.
Keep us posted! Crossing fingers for you!

How old are you Steph? Check your insurance! I think 40 is too LATE to start them. I had to REALLY push but I at least got them to do mine every 2 years starting at age 28. Granted, there are some imaging issues during childbearing years, but they can get a baseline.

Glad a few more are making those appointments!

Janet, I am praying for you. I went through this the first of the year. I had to have a needle biopsy, but the man doing the procedure said he thought it was just fat. Was he trying to tell me something???:blushing:

krzymomof4 said:
Janet, I am praying for you. I went through this the first of the year. I had to have a needle biopsy, but the man doing the procedure said he thought it was just fat. Was he trying to tell me something???:blushing:

Yuk! I hope it doesn't go as far as a needle biopsy, those can hurt! :cry:

I am far from fat, so they should be able to get decent images.

I have my appt. set for Monday afternoon - they tried to get me in tomorrow morning, but I have a work conflict so couldn't go until Monday.

I asked if they needed clarification images or if she had further information and all she could tell me (in radiation) was that they called for a complete diagnostic mammogram on the rt. side.

I'm still hoping it is all an imaging issue and all will be well! :)

Hi Janet,

I will be thinking and praying for you. Even if it's nothing, it's still a stressful experience.

As soon as I read this thread I called my doctor to schedule my annual mammo. I'm going in tomorrow, so thanks for the reminder!

dianevill said:
Hi Janet,

I will be thinking and praying for you. Even if it's nothing, it's still a stressful experience.

As soon as I read this thread I called my doctor to schedule my annual mammo. I'm going in tomorrow, so thanks for the reminder!

Yeah! That's MAINLY why I shared. I want everyone to go in and check. I figure better to have something and know it and be able to treat it then to be blissfully ignorant and leave my kids without a mom someday!

Thanks for the reminder Janet. I am praying it all works out for you.

I think waiting until 40 is stupid too ... esp. since the women I know with really fast acting breast cancer are always younger ... that said ... only 6 months till I'm old enough anyway ....

Di_Can_Cook said:
I think waiting until 40 is stupid too ... esp. since the women I know with really fast acting breast cancer are always younger ... that said ... only 6 months till I'm old enough anyway ....

Aw just go in now...most insurances cover it.

I'll be praying for you Janet. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm praying for you.

Janet...I pray that the Lord will give you such a sense of calm and peace over this. His hand is on you, and I pray that His touch helps you to deal with no fears and excessive worry. I pray that everything is 100% OK, and that you would have confirmation of that VERY SOON!

Love,
Kelly

So, I called the doctor Friday to get the scoop and there is definitely a nodule on one side that wasn't there last time. So, going in tomorrow for pics and hoping that it turns out to be just fine in the long run. I'm o.k. with it all now that I know exactly what they found and are looking at.

I'll continue praying for peace and wisdom.

PampMomof3 said:

Mine is, and has nominated himself King of the "feel the boobies" campaign. I told him he'd better keep his hands to himself... or myself. :rolleyes:

Just wanted to update that I got a letter last night from the 2nd test - all clear! Yeah! Phew...

Great! I'm so glad you got a good report!

What great news. Good to see all the cheffer prayers worked :)

Yeahhhh Janet! Glad to hear it. I have been thinking of you.....

Yay Janet! I was told I'd get a call by today if there were issues, and so far, no call!

Thanks again for the kick in the butt to go get that done!

Awesome! I'm sure you'll be sleeping easier tonight.

<h2>1. What are the most common reasons for receiving a letter stating that additional imaging is required after a mammogram?</h2><p>The most common reasons for receiving a letter like this are that the mammogram showed an abnormality or an area of concern that needs further examination. This does not necessarily mean that there is anything wrong, as many abnormalities end up being benign. However, it is important to follow up with additional imaging to be sure.</p><h2>2. Is it common for mammograms to show abnormalities or areas that require further imaging?</h2><p>Yes, it is common for mammograms to show abnormalities or areas that require further imaging. In fact, according to the American Cancer Society, about 10% of mammograms require further evaluation. This is why it is important to have regular mammograms and follow up on any abnormalities.</p><h2>3. What are the chances of an abnormality found on a mammogram turning out to be cancer?</h2><p>The chances of an abnormality found on a mammogram turning out to be cancer are actually quite low. According to the American Cancer Society, only about 1 in 10 women who are called back for additional imaging are diagnosed with breast cancer. Most abnormalities end up being benign, but it is important to follow up with further evaluation to be sure.</p><h2>4. How often should women get mammograms?</h2><p>The recommended frequency for mammograms varies depending on age and risk factors, but in general, it is recommended that women start getting mammograms at age 40 and then continue every 1-2 years. Women with a family history of breast cancer or other risk factors may need to start getting mammograms earlier or more frequently.</p><h2>5. What can I expect during a mammogram?</h2><p>During a mammogram, you will be asked to undress from the waist up and put on a gown. The technologist will position your breast on a special platform and compress it between two plates to get a clear image. This may be uncomfortable, but it only lasts a few seconds. You will then be asked to change positions for images of your breast from different angles. The entire process usually takes around 20 minutes.</p>

1. What are the most common reasons for receiving a letter stating that additional imaging is required after a mammogram?

The most common reasons for receiving a letter like this are that the mammogram showed an abnormality or an area of concern that needs further examination. This does not necessarily mean that there is anything wrong, as many abnormalities end up being benign. However, it is important to follow up with additional imaging to be sure.

2. Is it common for mammograms to show abnormalities or areas that require further imaging?

Yes, it is common for mammograms to show abnormalities or areas that require further imaging. In fact, according to the American Cancer Society, about 10% of mammograms require further evaluation. This is why it is important to have regular mammograms and follow up on any abnormalities.

3. What are the chances of an abnormality found on a mammogram turning out to be cancer?

The chances of an abnormality found on a mammogram turning out to be cancer are actually quite low. According to the American Cancer Society, only about 1 in 10 women who are called back for additional imaging are diagnosed with breast cancer. Most abnormalities end up being benign, but it is important to follow up with further evaluation to be sure.

4. How often should women get mammograms?

The recommended frequency for mammograms varies depending on age and risk factors, but in general, it is recommended that women start getting mammograms at age 40 and then continue every 1-2 years. Women with a family history of breast cancer or other risk factors may need to start getting mammograms earlier or more frequently.

5. What can I expect during a mammogram?

During a mammogram, you will be asked to undress from the waist up and put on a gown. The technologist will position your breast on a special platform and compress it between two plates to get a clear image. This may be uncomfortable, but it only lasts a few seconds. You will then be asked to change positions for images of your breast from different angles. The entire process usually takes around 20 minutes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampermejolene
  • ahammons
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
straitfan
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies