• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What inspired me to become a Pampered Chef consultant?

In summary, the person became a Pampered Chef consultant after being a loyal customer for 7 years. They met their husband through a mutual friend and were set up as dance partners at a wedding. They were able to balance work and being a new mom by telecommuting, but switched to being a consultant after their company eliminated their telecommuting position. They officially became a consultant in January and have earned $400 in Pampered Chef dollars so far. Although there has been a reduction in income, they are confident in the success of their business and their daughter, "Chef Abigail," has been an inspiration for their decision to become a consultant.
ivykeep
Gold Member
I found the site a couple of days ago and just found the Introduction thread.

I've been a very loyal Pampered Chef customer for about 7 years now (so loyal I recruited two consultants without being one myself -- and as these things go don't have any recruits now that I am a consultant). I LOVE PC -- it was because of attending my first PC party as a guest that I ended up buying my first house (long story short, I had a 90 minute commute so was planning on moving into an apartment closer to my work -- I reconnected with one of my best friends from high school that I'd lost touch with after she got married. She was now divorced and hosting a party (ran into her somewhere while she was planning her invites and she invited me). At the party I mentioned that once I moved I'd be interested in hosting a show. My friend asked me shwhere I was moving, I told her where I wanted to move and she said her grandfather's house was sitting empty so she was sure her dad would rent it to me. She checked and he wasn't interested in renting, but said he'd sell it to me. I wasn't in a position to buy with a traditional mortgage, so I jestingly said sure, if he'll hold my mortgage and to my shock her agreed (and I got a great deal on the house because it needed major cosmetic work). Needless to say, I owe a great deal to Pampered Chef for that.

Additionally, I also met my husband through this same friend (she ended up marrying my husband's best friend and we were both in the bridal party and set up as "assigned dance partners". We met 5 days after 9/11 at their wedding and will be celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary this May. Our beautiful daughter will be one on Saturday.

I'd always known I'd enjoy being a consultant, but the timing just wasn't right (long, irregular hours at work -- even living 8 miles from work it was often a hour plus commute so hard to do weeknight shows, etc.) Last year, my husband and I bought a wonderful house on 5 acres near my parents' house (which meant I was back to the 90 minute commute that had grown to 2 hours each way in the intervening years). I was able to start telecommuting just before the baby was born (I KILLED myself after she was born to make sure the telecommuting was successful -- I had a c-section and still didn't miss a weekly payroll except for the one I was physically in the hospital. Instead of taking ANY maternity leave (I was answering phone calls in the hospital), I was working from home, determined to make it a success, and it was -- I received a raise and a commendation last June as well as being told that my telecommuting was working well (I took calls as needed when the office was closed) and saving the company money and received another raise and commendation in October when we did my 2007 plan. (Sorry, I'm rambling a bit). In any event, I was completely shocked when the day before Thanksgiving my boss called to ask me if I was going to be working back in the office any time soon. She then said they were eliminating my telecommuting position (and admitted they were only changing my position to get me to resign since my boss' best friend has recently lost her job and her second husband), so it I wanted to keep my job I would have to be in the office each day (which was fine, but not desireable), but I would also have to be in the office from 8 to 6 each day to cover the phones (as an exempt employee I wouldn't get overtime, but would be expected to work 50+ hours a week (when I was hired it was a 9-5 position). And the company no longer covered any part of the parking that had increased to $250 a month. By the time I factored in the commuting costs, daycare expenses (which I really didn't want to do anyway), daycare overage costs since in this area you have to pick up by 6 pm or pay late fees, and my husband often works past 6 pm too) and parking. I wouldn't be making any money -- so I did what they expected I would and let them lay me off. (But was expected to train my replacement). (OK, I'm still a lot bitter about this whole situation since I was excelling at making the telecommuting work and the only reason I lost my job was to give it to someone else -- and I saw her offer letter and she only has to work 35 hours a week and isn't doing some of the work I was doing)

So the timing was finally right to become a Pampered Chef consultant and here I am!! I signed up in December, but was able to convert to the new Consultant agreement in January, so the official end of my first 30 days was Feb. 28th. I'm doing well under the new Consultant program (earned $400 in Pampered Chef dollars so far!!)

My darling "Chef Abigail" is the reason I'm a consultant and it's working well for us. There as been a reduction in income, but we are managing that ok and hopefully I'll grow the business up to exceed my past income levels.

Phew -- sorry this was SOOOO long!!

I'm glad I found this site -- seems like a great group of people with lots of ideas, help and support.

Thanks!

Laura
[email protected]
/ivykeep

Welcome Laura!
That pic of your little one is TOO CUTE!!!

Welcome!

Best wishes for a very successful Pampered Chef career.

No one can lay you off from this business!

Lisa

Welcome and good luck - sounds like you have an awesome start already!

Welcome!
Sounds like you and I are on the same time frame, my 1st 30 days was up 2/28 as well!
Good luck in your business, you're going to have so much fun!!:D :D

Good luck and welcome Laura!

Welcome to our little corner of the web! We're so glad you're here! My first SS month was Feb as well. I'm under the older program, though.

Welcome! And thanks for the great introduction! It's great to hear how timing plays such a big part in some people's decision to become consultants....alot of NO's are actually "NOT NOW's.!

Welcome!
It sounds like the stars ligned up just right for you to start. And you're off to a great start!

Welcome to our crazy crew!

Welcome! I loved hearing your story...it is always nice to know how each of us "got here." You have every right to be hurt by what happened to you, but remember this- God only closes doors to move us to one he has opened! Losing your other job may end up being the best thing that has ever happened for your career!

Good luck with your business!
:)

Welcome to PC and our virtual cluster.

1. What inspired you to become a Pampered Chef consultant?

I have been a loyal customer of Pampered Chef for 7 years now. My first experience with the company was attending a party hosted by a friend and it was because of that party that I ended up buying my first house. I reconnected with a high school friend who offered me her grandfather's empty house to rent, but he ended up selling it to me. I owe a lot to Pampered Chef for that opportunity.

2. How did you meet your husband?

I met my husband through the same friend who hosted the Pampered Chef party. She ended up marrying my husband's best friend and we were set up as "assigned dance partners" at their wedding. We met 5 days after 9/11 and have been happily married for 2 years now with a beautiful daughter.

3. How did you balance work, commuting, and being a new mom?

I was able to telecommute before my daughter was born and worked hard to make it a success. However, my company eliminated my telecommuting position after I had my daughter and I would have had to work 50+ hours a week without any overtime pay. This led me to become a Pampered Chef consultant, which has allowed me to have a better work-life balance.

4. What was your experience like transitioning to a Pampered Chef consultant?

I officially became a Pampered Chef consultant in January after signing up in December. I am doing well under the new Consultant program and have earned $400 in Pampered Chef dollars so far.

5. How has being a Pampered Chef consultant affected your income?

There has been a reduction in income, but we are managing it well and I am confident that my business will continue to grow and exceed my previous income levels. My daughter, "Chef Abigail," is the inspiration behind my decision to become a Pampered Chef consultant and it has been a successful venture for us.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kidzmom55
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Christine Hughes
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
tkgraywolf
  • melissaboyd