• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making [Blank] for the First Time: Tips & Tricks!

like normal cling wrap.I think it's just one baguette. You can always tell the host to buy some crackers just in case. It's alot of torta!
kcjodih
Gold Member
I'm making this for the first time on Wed night and have NO idea what I'm doing! Any tips from those that have made this would be appreciated. Is it yummy? Was it easy to make?

SO easy and SO good! Just make sure that the host has the spinach defrosted and the cream cheese at room temperature. I don't think there is much that could go wrong with this one (although there's always a first time... I've probably just jinxed myself as I'm doing this at a show on Thursday!).

Don't forget to bring your Greek seasoning (that is probably what I will do... :))! And the spritzer for the bread. When I do this at home I always serve it with crackers (triscuits - YUM!), so I need to make sure I don't forget about the french bread part!

Last edited:
It's very good. I think it was easy. I had a problem with the dried red stuff. Was it tomato or red bell pepper? It really needed to be chopped way more because it was hard to cut through that layer when serving it. I probably just didn't chop it enough. I don't have the recipe in front of me, so I'm wondering if the recipe called for something other than dried red stuff. Hmmm...

My suggestion is to chop it up really well, whatever it is supposed to be.

JAE said:
It's very good. I think it was easy. I had a problem with the dried red stuff. Was it tomato or red bell pepper? It really needed to be chopped way more because it was hard to cut through that layer when serving it. I probably just didn't chop it enough. I don't have the recipe in front of me, so I'm wondering if the recipe called for something other than dried red stuff. Hmmm...

My suggestion is to chop it up really well, whatever it is supposed to be.

You crack me up!:D

It calls for sun-dried tomatoes. I like to use a mixture of those and roasted red peppers. I LOVE this appetizer!

Snort! Dried red stuff... LOL! Good thing I wasn't drinking when I read that :)

Sun dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers. Both good!

Whew! Okay so it doesn't sound so bad after all the testimonials above. Thanks ladies! I work full time days, have a show with the bread bowl artichoke dip tomorrow night 30 minutes away north and then come home, repack, work all day Wed and then have a show an hour away east doing the torta for the first time.

I appreciate everyone's help :) As always, my CS buddies ROCK! :D

Well, I remember for one recipe that I've made, I couldn't find the stuff in the oil so I bought the dried stuff as a substitute. I wasn't sure if this was the recipe I was thinking of or not. And, I can't remember if it was tomato or red bell pepper. I'm too lazy to look up the torta recipe.

The torta is so simple and easy! I usually serve it with crackers instead of bread. Don't forget to use the saran wrap or it won't come out of the bowl really easy. I also like putting it back in the fridge so it has a chance to set. I've made it the night before things and just put turned it out to serve it.

It calls for 32 slices of french baguette. Is that just one long loaf cut thin? Also, since I've never made this before, is there a trick to lining the SBB with plastic wrap and still having the torta look pretty when it comes out AND getting it out easily?

And don't forget to share the pasta tip (ala Chef Ann) for the leftovers. I toss in some diced cooked chicken. It was soooo good!

kcjodih said:
It calls for 32 slices of french baguette. Is that just one long loaf cut thin? Also, since I've never made this before, is there a trick to lining the SBB with plastic wrap and still having the torta look pretty when it comes out AND getting it out easily?
I think it's just one baguette. You can always tell the host to buy some crackers just in case. It's alot of torta!

I take one piece of saran wrap and lay it over my fist and then shove it into the bottom of the bowl. Make sure to have enough saran wrap to wrap over the edge of the bowl. Then I do the same with a second piece and place it crossways across the other one. The fist trick works really good because it helps to hold the saran wrap instead of getting it stuck on itself.

kcjodih said:

Yes, it's one long loaf....

And for the plastic wrap - the wrap itself isn't going to look pretty, but it doesn't affect the look of the torta. Just layer everything in the bowl, and when it's time to flip it out - it comes right out. Peel the plastic wrap away, and there you have it!

Oh - and I often use chopped parsley instead of the pistachios.

It's very good and easy! There is a video demo of it on DVD...I think it is the Spring/Summer 2008 Spring into Success DVD.

I get the baguette from Aldi's. There are two loaves in the pkg. Slice them thin, and brush garlic-infused canola oil on the slices then bake on a stone until lightly browned. You should have a sleeve of Ritz crackers on hand, too, because there is more torta than baguette slices.

One other thing...the salad spinner works great to spin the spinach dry. I line the small basket with a paper towel and spin away! I sold a salad spinner at a show just by doing that demo, and I'm sure I wouldn't have sold it otherwise.

Related to Making [Blank] for the First Time: Tips & Tricks!

1. How do I make a souffle for the first time?

Making a souffle can seem intimidating, but with a few tips and tricks, it can be a success! First, make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature. This will help them incorporate evenly. Secondly, be sure to beat your egg whites until they are stiff peaks to give your souffle its signature rise. Finally, avoid opening the oven door while your souffle is baking to prevent it from deflating.

2. Do I need any special equipment to make homemade pasta for the first time?

While a pasta roller or press can make the process easier, you don't necessarily need any special equipment to make homemade pasta for the first time. A rolling pin and a sharp knife can do the trick. Just be sure to roll your dough out as thin as possible and cut it into your desired shape.

3. How can I prevent my first attempt at making a pie crust from being too tough?

The key to a tender pie crust is to handle the dough as little as possible. Overworking the dough can result in a tough crust. Additionally, be sure to chill your dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out. This will prevent it from becoming too soft and sticky.

4. Can I substitute ingredients when making a recipe for the first time?

While substitutions can sometimes work, it's best to follow the recipe closely when making something for the first time. Different ingredients can have varying effects on the final product, so it's important to use the recommended ingredients for the best results.

5. How can I ensure my first attempt at making homemade bread is successful?

Making homemade bread can take some practice, but there are a few things you can do to increase your chances of success. First, make sure your yeast is fresh and active by proofing it in warm water before using it. Secondly, let your dough rise in a warm, draft-free environment. Finally, don't rush the process - bread takes time to rise and bake, so be patient and follow the recipe's instructions closely.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bakinwithbacon
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ericadboone
  • erinpcmorgan
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
mscharf
  • cochef