• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lol, Need Help With Cake That Goes Flop!

In summary, the chocolate show Friday for a friend will be made with a chocolate cake, cake batter, and quick ganache. The cake falls over when practiced, but tastes great. The host has a few ideas for the cake, but is unsure if she should make it on her rectangular stone or a different type of stone. The second time making the cake was easier.
Muppetgal
Silver Member
I'm doing a chocolate show on Friday for a friend.

We decided I'm make some fudge to bring and would make a cake before coming and then do the "baked alaska" cake for the show.

I've just practiced tonight and the thing fell over like the leaning tower of Pisa!

My husband is in histerics...thing is it tastes GREAT it just looks ridiculous. How can I turn the ingredients for this cake into something more manageable?

Or, does someone have some other ideas for me....her oven and stove are shot at the moment...she does have a microwave though.

other thing is I really only have my basic kit along with a large micro cooker, rectangular stone, bamboo set and that's about it!

I haven't ever tried it in the batter bowl (I assume that is what you are baking in) but, I love to do a 1-2-3 chocolate cherry cake. You probably should try it at home first. you use one box of chocolate cake mix, 2 cups of cherry pie filling and 3 eggs. I usually put the extra pie filling in the bottom of the pan, before I add the batter. Mix everything together and put it in the microwave. In the fluted pan it takes about 12 minutes, I would start at about 10 and check it. It is done when it looks just a little moist still, but is starting to pull away from the sides when you tip it. As if it didn't taste good enough already I do the quick ganache which is 1/2 cup cool whip and 1/2 cup chocolate chips, microwave for about a minute, stip well and pour over the top of the cake. This makes a really fudgy yummy frosting.

That micro cake recipe IS great but I don't think she mentioned having the fluted pan. How about making something on your rectangle stone or large round stone instead of the Baked Alaska? Maybe one of the dessert pizzas?
I've never made the Baked Alaska but will ask on another board and see what they say.

I made the baked Alaska recipe for my son's birthday cake. When I took it out, it was quite wobbly, even when it had cooled. But it was the airiest (lol--is that even a real word?), most moist cake I had EVER eaten! After I flipped the cake out of the bowl, I trimmed the bottom so it would sit better. I don't know how well it would have held up if I had sliced it and filled it like the recipe calls for... I just frosted the thing like a pumpkin. I'll have to try sometime.

Okay, here are the answers I got from the other board. Hope they help some :)

I have done the baked alaska cake....LOVE it! My advice: Make sure the cake pieces are flat. When you add the 2nd and 3rd layers of cake over the filling, press down slightly to kind of adhere it to the filling. Also....not sure if she did this, but make sure you trim the top of the cake when you take it out of the batter bowl, so when you turn it over, the bottom is flat. (does that make sense?!? LOL )

and the next:

I only do two layers of filling rather than the 3. Stays more stable that way. Totally agree about making sure the layers are flat. If you cut it a bit crooked, then just add more filling to that side. I also put it in the refrigerator to let it stiffen up.

I've made this twice and the second time was much easier!

and finally:

Thee most important tip here is...

EAT ALL THE TRIMMINGS!! LOL Hey, there'll be less to clean up, right?? And I'm all over fast, easy clean up!! LOL

Have to say after letting it sit in the fridge all night it's not so wobbly....

thankfully the host is a friend of mine who invited people without telling them it was a chocolate night (just that there would be a sweet) so I'm going to try something else I think....the lemon croissant pudding in the vanilla glazed stone sounds like it might be a very good plan because the vanilla stone is what is on special this month anyway!

the cake is gorgeous though, will have to try again sometime and get it right!

1. Why did my cake flop?

There could be several reasons why your cake did not turn out as expected. It could be due to incorrect measurements, overmixing the batter, using expired ingredients, or not following the recipe instructions properly.

2. How can I prevent my cake from flopping?

To prevent your cake from flopping, make sure to measure all ingredients accurately, mix the batter gently, use fresh ingredients, and follow the recipe instructions carefully. It is also essential to preheat your oven to the correct temperature and avoid opening the oven door too often while the cake is baking.

3. Can I save a flopped cake?

It is possible to salvage a flopped cake, depending on the reason for the flop. If it is due to incorrect measurements, you can try adjusting the ingredients to balance out the batter. If the cake is overmixed, you can try adding a little more liquid to the batter to make it smoother. However, if the ingredients are expired or the cake is burnt, it may be best to start over.

4. How do I know when my cake is done baking?

The best way to know if a cake is done baking is by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean or with a few crumbs, the cake is ready. You can also gently press the top of the cake with your finger; if it springs back, it is done baking.

5. Can I use a different pan size for the recipe?

It is not recommended to use a different pan size for a cake recipe as it can affect the baking time and outcome. If you do need to use a different pan size, you may need to adjust the ingredients, baking time, and temperature accordingly. It is always best to follow the recipe as closely as possible for the best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kam
  • kcmckay
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefLoriG
  • ChefBeckyD