• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Living with Plantar Fasciitis: Tips for Navigating NC

In summary, if you have plantar fasciitis, be sure to wear good shoes, and don't avoid your podiatrist. He or she can help you determine if you have heel spurs, and if not, they can give you instructions on how to stretch your feet.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
Okay, so I know this is going to be a weird post.
I have plantar fasciitis. I have been avoiding my podiatrist like the plague so I don't have to have surgery.
Anywhoo....Everybody has said how rough NC is on your feet. What should I do to take care of them? I don't want one of you to have to wheel me around by day 2:eek:

I have actual heel spurs but the pain is the same. Have you had xrays to determine if you have spurs? If not, get them. If you have and you don't have spurs, then I know that the exercise where you stand on a step and flex down and then back up several times daily helps lots of people but I'll tell you the best solution I've found. MERRELL shoes. I was in agony early last summer, bought a pair of Merrell's and walked 9, 11, and 13 miles each day of NC and did fine. I cannot say enough good about these shoes! If I wear others, my pain comes back but when I wear these... I'm great!

Wear good shoes. The walking cannot be avoided.

Is that planters warts? I am not sure....

I don't have spurs according to the xrays. What I have is where the tendons in the archs of your feet are so tight that they don't stretch out all the way. The pain can be excruciating to say the least. I have inserts, my pod recommended New Balance shoes and I do try to stretch them a few times a day. I am not only concerned about the walking, but dress shoes are extremely painful to wear and I know I have to dress up for at least one dinner. I also take Boswellia and am hoping that it will be built up in my system before July. I thought about getting the Prima Crocs for the dress dinner, but I don't know if they are dressy enough.

Well, I like to look as cute as the next girl and realizing that NC is a business meeting.........not being in pain comes FIRST! I personally am not a fan of Crocs ( I think it is because I have Flintstone feet but that is a whole other post!) but I know there are other shoes out there that are great. I personally own many pairs of Doc Martens. I wore my Doc flip flops to the career club luncheon year before last.

Please check out the Merrell's. I went through Croc's, Clark's and made my way to Merrell before I got relief. I don't know how old you are but oddly enough, since I was put on Progesterone Hormone cream ... they are better also. And I do understand the degree of pain, in the morning, when walking and also expecially after sitting... you just need to cry it hurts so badly. I did find when they were very bad, that when I was sitting I would work hard to keep my feet at a 90 degree angle so that when I did stand, they would be as stretched out as I could get them. Have you tried the boot things that you wear while sleeping to keep them at the 90 degree angle?

quiverfull7 said:
Please check out the Merrell's. I went through Croc's, Clark's and made my way to Merrell before I got relief. I don't know how old you are but oddly enough, since I was put on Progesterone Hormone cream ... they are better also. And I do understand the degree of pain, in the morning, when walking and also expecially after sitting... you just need to cry it hurts so badly. I did find when they were very bad, that when I was sitting I would work hard to keep my feet at a 90 degree angle so that when I did stand, they would be as stretched out as I could get them. Have you tried the boot things that you wear while sleeping to keep them at the 90 degree angle?

I have to TOTALLY 2nd the Merrells! They are the absolute best shoes I have ever had - and I've tried them all! My job before PC was as a personal chef, and I was on my feet 10-12 hours at a time, and Merrells were the only shoe that brought relief!
Now, both DH and I wear them for everything! They are worth every penny!

ChefBeckyD said:
I have to TOTALLY 2nd the Merrells! They are the absolute best shoes I have ever had - and I've tried them all! My job before PC was as a personal chef, and I was on my feet 10-12 hours at a time, and Merrells were the only shoe that brought relief!
Now, both DH and I wear them for everything! They are worth every penny!

And you can go to the Little Red Shoe Store in Rockford and get them at a discount can't you?

quiverfull7 said:
And you can go to the Little Red Shoe Store in Rockford and get them at a discount can't you?
LOL - I was just going to post about how fortunate we were to have the Company Outlet so close! Usually, when we go, we also stop for lunch at Arnie's in the Old Mill!:D

When we were kids and our family made our yearly trek back to MI we ALWAYS went there. Now I'm ready to go back!

I have a heel spur as well, just got the x ray back in April to confirm..it STINKS and is the most pain I've ever had...I would suggest GOING to the dr, seeing what treatment they suggest, for me, they want to inject cortisone into my heel, which I am avoiding like the plague! Until I can stomach the idea of a needle going into my heel, I plan on checking out Dr. Schol's brand footwear, I know they sell them at wal mart, and also, check out Birkenstock shoes...those are good as well...

As far as dress shoes, I could care LESS what they look like, I will NOT be in pain to look cute in a pair of heels! I plan on wearing black slacks and a nice top and my shoes will be slip ons if I can find them in with support.
If you do not get good footwear, you will PAY for it when you get home, I did last year and I think that's what ruined my feet. It took me a year to do something about it, but I took SANDALS with me last year and it was excruitiating for me.

Get the shot! It won't last forever but the temporary relief is well with the short term pain of the shot! That said... they have to get the shot in the correct spot...

I have been through the shots, not a pleasant experience, but it did relieve the pain for awhile. He said that my next resort is surgery where they go in there and cut the tendons to loosen them up.
I was told that Berks are not good for your feet.
What kind of Merrells do you have? I usually like to see before I buy. I don't do alot of online shopping because of that. I bought a pair of Crocs online once, but they didn't fit right (I have skis for feet:D ) so I sent them back and didn't bother again.

I have this also. Now I know this isn't telling you what to wear. But my Dr suggests when my feet are bothering me after walking and they are bothering me, to take a golf ball put it on the floor and rub my bare foot around on the golf ball. It really does help make my foot feel better.

HTH-
Kelly :D

I have both heel spurs (both feet) and plantar fasciitis. I've been fighting w/the pain for about 10 years.

I highly recommend the shots. You can have up to 3 in 12 months. My dr. actually recommended I get them as soon as I started having pain again. He said he used to tell people to wait since he can only do 3 a year, but found the more aggressive he was w/treatment the better results patients received. These shots hurt nothing like having a cortizone shot in your tailbone, but that is another story!

My dr. tells me to NEVER go bare foot - not even in the shower (which I do anyway). When at home I have to wear berks. which are great for me. I do find I need to replace them about 1 time a year so they keep support.

I will have to try some of the Merrill shoes. I do think one of our good foot stores recommended them to me, but I just didn't have the money at the time.

When I went to NC I found a very comfy pair of black sandles which I had no problem with. I found them at Kohls. They were dressy, but yet casual enough too. I wore them every day and for the dinner. We drive to NC so I don't like to pack a lot!

You can also purchase a splint that you can wear at night. This spreads your foot out and stretches your tendon. I can't stand sleeping w/the darn thing though! It's like having a cast on!

Good luck!

I have my 13 year old stand on my feet while I am laying on the floor. My doctor was horrified when I told him that it helped relieve the pain. ( My DS is 120 lbs). I have tried the ice, etc. I just don't want to not be able to walk while I am at NC or be worse after I get home.

Merrell's I own right now:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=w&pcid=71537

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=w&pcid=8507

Merrell's I want:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=w&pcid=88868

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=w&pcid=72196

Ooh, I'm going to have to get a pair of the last ones you listed, but I want them in black! Too cute!!!

Can you get these at a store or online only?
Has anyone been to the Good Feet store? What are there shoes like?

Where are you in Indiana? They have some at the Fred Toenges store in Fort Wayne. You would have to call and see if they have the style/size you are looking for.

I am close to Louisville, KY

Oh, way too far to drive:)! Maybe check out the yellow pages for shoe stores in your area.

krzymomof4 said:
I know of at least 3 stores in our closest mall that sells them (I assume you are asking about Merrells?)If you know of a store that sells Hush Puppies - they would probably have Merrells also. Check out stores that sell hiking/outdoor type shoes.Oh - here is a link to a dealer locater - you can find out where to get them in your area!Dealer Locator

They carry them at Bass Pro and Dick's Sporting Goods. Great, now I won't be able to go without my DH :D :D

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - I was just going to post about how fortunate we were to have the Company Outlet so close! Usually, when we go, we also stop for lunch at Arnie's in the Old Mill!:D

Oh, I love Arnies!!! I used to go to the one on 28th St and East Beltline a lot when in college. I even had a blind date there! :eek:

pampchefrhondab said:
I have both heel spurs (both feet) and plantar fasciitis. I've been fighting w/the pain for about 10 years.

I highly recommend the shots. You can have up to 3 in 12 months. My dr. actually recommended I get them as soon as I started having pain again. He said he used to tell people to wait since he can only do 3 a year, but found the more aggressive he was w/treatment the better results patients received. These shots hurt nothing like having a cortizone shot in your tailbone, but that is another story!

My dr. tells me to NEVER go bare foot - not even in the shower (which I do anyway). When at home I have to wear berks. which are great for me. I do find I need to replace them about 1 time a year so they keep support.

I will have to try some of the Merrill shoes. I do think one of our good foot stores recommended them to me, but I just didn't have the money at the time.

When I went to NC I found a very comfy pair of black sandles which I had no problem with. I found them at Kohls. They were dressy, but yet casual enough too. I wore them every day and for the dinner. We drive to NC so I don't like to pack a lot!

You can also purchase a splint that you can wear at night. This spreads your foot out and stretches your tendon. I can't stand sleeping w/the darn thing though! It's like having a cast on!

Good luck!

I forgot, my dr told me not to go barefoot either, I do though at home sometimes, I just can't stand wearing shoes in my own home...I don't know if they make a good pair of slippers that I could substitute...

I never heard that Berks are not good for your feet, my mom has horrible foot problems and she actually told me about them...you can find them for a good price sometimes on HSN or QVC...

According to my dr. the Berks do not correct the foot problem, it acommodates the problem and doesn't correct it, which can in the long run make you worse...or so he says.

Okay so with talk of walking miles upon miles at NC what IS the proper foot attire?? Obviously not heels except maybe at dinners/banquets but if we are walking that much why not sneakers?!! :cry: I know business casual but good exercise! lol:rolleyes:

DebbieJ said:
Oh, I love Arnies!!! I used to go to the one on 28th St and East Beltline a lot when in college. I even had a blind date there! :eek:

My first date with DH was at that Arnies!

I still remember the look of shock on his face when he asked me if I wanted to share a Caramel Cashew Sundae (mmmm, mmmm, good!) for dessert, and I said "Are you kidding - I want my own!"

Must not have bothered him too much - he married me!:D

I have plantar fasciitis too. At least that is the official diagnosis. I think it is more complicated than that and linked to my knee injury, since the knee and the foot hurt at the same time.

I have orthotics, which don't really help. The shots never did much good either.

I have prescription ibuprofen, which I will be refilling before conference and taking religiously. It doesn't do that much good either, but it does help when I take it regularly. It got me through a singing competition last year wearing bad shoes ...

ChefBeckyD said:
My first date with DH was at that Arnies!

I still remember the look of shock on his face when he asked me if I wanted to share a Caramel Cashew Sundae (mmmm, mmmm, good!) for dessert, and I said "Are you kidding - I want my own!"

Must not have bothered him too much - he married me!:D

A girl after my own heart.....I love dessert. :D

I have plantar fasciitis too. Last year at Ledership I could barely walk. Came home went to the Dr and it was diagnosed then. She recommended supports...The Good Feet Store...got them. That day, 70% of the pain was gone, Within 3 days, about 80% of pain was gone. Within about a week98% gone! No problems since. You have to slowly "break" them in by wearing them gradually. I wasn't able to wear them ALL DAY for about 3-4 weeks. So you ought to go now so by conference, you're good! I LOVE my sandal inserts too!

Once the pain goes away...hint, don't stop wearing them. I did ~ pain gone? Heck I don't need to wear these...uhhhh not! Within a couple of days, the pain started to come back.

The inserts are on the pricey side, but WELL worth it...they've got temporaries and permanents. The permanents are much stiffer and not as comfortable. I went with the temps...I don't mind spending $119 twice a year to be painless. Especially with our job....standing! The sandal inserts are permanent and fine.

Last Nat. Conf a cluster mate had feet problems. What she was describing, I told her it sounds like the same thing. She went to the Dr, then The Good Feet Store...within a week she was virtually painless. She was so pleased she sent me a $50 gift card because she was so happy the pain was gone.

PS: I don't have to take any meds either!

krzymomof4 said:

I haven't bought any of their shoes...just put their inserts in MY shoes! Their shoes are pricey! But some swear by them.

Do you know if the inserts work for heel spurs too or just pf?

I had Plantar Fasciatis (sp?) I was healed from it. I told my doctor to make INSERTS for it, wore those daily- and did stretches and feet exercises. Within one year I was healed! :) No surgery. Your podiatrist should be offering you a nice pair of inserts for your shoes made only for your feet. My insurance covered them- they were about $400.00 but they saved me a lot of pain and frustration.

The exercises are sort of hard to explain online, but I'll try. Sit on the floor with your legs extended straight out in front of you. Point your toes forward (like you are pressing on the accelerator of a car, but don't lift your calf muscles off the floor) then point them all the way back. Do 3 sets of 5. From the ankle- point your foot/toes forward, then pull them back as far as they'll go- without lifting your legs from the floor.

The second one is picking up marbles or rolls of dimes with your toes. The curling motion needed to pick the marbles or roll of dimes up strengthens the foot muscles. I did this exercise once per day for about 5 mintues. I did it standing up, and made my foot bring the marble or coins to my hands- it also helped me with balance.

I did the foot/toe stretching one while in the tub because for some reason I'm more flexible in water- who knew? :)

Hope this helps! But if your doctor won't do personalized inserts, most decent shoe repair shops will sell similar ones (they just aren't as drastic of an arch and ball of foot support) for about $12.99 per pair. I also used to sell shoes, and most people should be wearing a half size larger than they are. You might have to go up a half size to get the insert to fit.

Best of luck!

From what my Dr. told me heel spurs are due to pf.

I do have the orthotics (the hard ones made by my POD) which I wear all the time. I took Celebrex at one time, but that is what my gastro dr. said caused my ulcer so I am trying Boswellia to see if that will help. I do the exercises and stretch them in the morning. I also use BioFreeze a few time daily.
We went to the lake yesterday and I could barely walk by the time I got back.

quiverfull7 said:
Do you know if the inserts work for heel spurs too or just pf?

Sorry Diane not sure...

pampchefrhondab said:
From what my Dr. told me heel spurs are due to pf.

That's what my Dr said too.

I have custom orthotics and they are for heel spurs. I wear my burks more and get more relief from them.

Hi!
I have been dealing w/PF for about 3 years now. These last 2 years have been greatly improved due to purchasing a pair of Dansko shoes. After the gulp of the price -I decided it was way better than the surgery option. I rarely wear my brace to bed anymore, only when it feels like its flairing up. I am even able to go barefoot around my house once in a while again!

A few months ago I bought my second pair -they just came out w/cute heels!

One of my Dsisters just graduated w/her LPN -my other Dsister bought her a pair off E-Bay for her grad gift!

Good Luck!

Related to Living with Plantar Fasciitis: Tips for Navigating NC

1. What is plantar fasciitis?

Plantar fasciitis is a common foot condition that causes pain and inflammation in the plantar fascia, a thick band of tissue that runs along the bottom of the foot from the heel to the toes. It is often described as a sharp, stabbing pain in the heel or arch of the foot, especially when first getting out of bed in the morning.

2. How can I manage plantar fasciitis without surgery?

There are several non-surgical treatment options for plantar fasciitis, including stretches, ice therapy, orthotic inserts, and wearing supportive shoes. It is important to consult with a podiatrist for a proper diagnosis and personalized treatment plan.

3. How can I take care of my feet while in North Carolina?

To take care of your feet while in North Carolina, it is important to wear comfortable and supportive shoes, especially if you will be doing a lot of walking. Avoid going barefoot or wearing flip-flops, as these can aggravate plantar fasciitis. Taking breaks to rest and stretch your feet throughout the day can also help prevent pain and discomfort.

4. Are there any specific stretches or exercises that can help with plantar fasciitis?

Yes, there are several stretches and exercises that can help alleviate pain and inflammation caused by plantar fasciitis. These include calf stretches, towel curls, and toe stretches. Your podiatrist can recommend specific exercises that will be most beneficial for your individual condition.

5. Can I still enjoy activities like hiking or running with plantar fasciitis?

While it is important to listen to your body and avoid activities that cause excessive pain, many people with plantar fasciitis are able to continue participating in their favorite activities with proper footwear and stretching routines. It is important to consult with a podiatrist before engaging in high-impact activities to ensure you are taking the necessary precautions to protect your feet.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lmradlein
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
jrstephens
Replies
Views