• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Greenstick Fracture in Children: Treatment and Care Tips from a Medical Expert

In summary, Leslie pushed her nephew off a play set and he landed on his face and forearm, fracturing his bone in the process. She needs to go to the ER to make sure he doesn't have any other injuries.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
Okay, you are the resident medical guru:D, so I need your advice.
My 14 yr old took a big fall and we thought he broke his arm. We took him to an urgent care center and they don't have a radiologist on staff, the dr. said she thought it was fractured, but couldn't be sure. So our regular dr. sent us to an ortho dr. He said DS has a greenstick fracture, but opted not to cast it and for him to "be cautious" with it for 4 weeks.
Is that common? I thought if you have any type of fracture of break they cast the arm, no?

krzymomof4 said:
Okay, you are the resident medical guru:D, so I need your advice.
My 14 yr old took a big fall and we thought he broke his arm. We took him to an urgent care center and they don't have a radiologist on staff, the dr. said she thought it was fractured, but couldn't be sure. So our regular dr. sent us to an ortho dr. He said DS has a greenstick fracture, but opted not to cast it and for him to "be cautious" with it for 4 weeks.
Is that common? I thought if you have any type of fracture of break they cast the arm, no?

A greenstick fracture is where the bone breaks but not all the way through. It is most common in younger kids because their bones are still more flexible as they are growing.

Usually they are always cast though or in some type of brace. If your ortho thinks it doesn't need casting, I would still make sure DS doesn't over-use it. No excessive lifting, twisting or other pressure on it.

He should still use/exercise it and elevate it when he can to make sure it doesn't swell.

I would also make sure you do a follow-up appointment to check it in a few weeks.

Did the ortho X-ray it to diagnose it as a greenstick fracture?

Note: I do want to add I too find the "no cast" thing odd and somewhat troubling because greenstick fractures take much longer to heal. I'd feel free to call the doctor back and ask more questions!

He went by the xray that was taken at the urgent care center. He said it was "a very mild greenstick fracture". We see him again in a month.

Hey Greg.....I vote that Greg needs to add another sub-forum to the Chef's Lounge. "Medical questions for Janet" :)

I feel better that there is an X-ray and he is classifying it as mild and you do have a follow-up appointment. Based on that, he probably has a small partial break on one bone that should heal well, rather than a true greenstick which is often a break in one bone and a bend in the other neighboring bone when you are dealing with the radius and ulna.Still, watch his activity. Make sure he uses it but doesn't abuse it and that he elevates if you see any swelling or soreness.

Re: Hey Greg.....
GeorgiaPeach said:
I vote that Greg needs to add another sub-forum to the Chef's Lounge. "Medical questions for Janet" :)

Ha!! That would be great. YOu are so generous with all of your knowledge Janet!! (medical and otherwise!) I love reading your advice. Thanks for all you do!

GeorgiaPeach said:
I vote that Greg needs to add another sub-forum to the Chef's Lounge. "Medical questions for Janet" :)
:blushing:I feel so inadequate...I'm a jack of many trades, but not necessarily a master of all...and medically I am VERY careful what I say because I am not a doctor so I cannot diagnose, only recommend based on personal experience - fine line there...

pamperedbecky said:
Ha!! That would be great. YOu are so generous with all of your knowledge Janet!! (medical and otherwise!) I love reading your advice. Thanks for all you do!

Thanks Becky - that was sweet and appreciated. :D

Oh, and if someone asks a question and I DON'T answer, don't feel offended, nothing personal...I either:1. Didn't have time to even open the thread...I sometimes pick randomly. :)
2. Don't feel like I have something to say on the topic at the time.
3. It's been said already...

Thanks for the advice Janet. I am just skiddish because I am afraid he is going to use it too much or not enough.
Guess he is going to have to stay away from his cousin from now on.
My 5 year old niece pushed him off the top of one of those wooden playsets that have the treehouse on top. Pushed him from behind down the slide and he caught himself with his face and forearm.

Leslie - I personally would get another opinion - At 14 years old - unless he has completed puberty he is still growing - a fracture sometimes is worse then a break and it should be cast. Buckle fractures in younger children aren't cast do to the healing factor (younger heal faster) but are always braced.

I too am no dr or medical expert - I just have dealt with many breaks, fractures, and sprains with my 5 athletic kids ( 3 kids last year from April 28 - May 12 sprain, break, break - all sports related!) and my 22 nieces and nephews. Not to mention my DH who has broken his ankles 9 x's (yes NINE!!) - If you have the insurance coverage, I would get another xray and see if they might have missed anything -

Janet, I think your caution is exactly what makes many of us turn to you for advice. You know enough more than the average person to let us know when we need to freak out and when it's okay not to.

The more people I am talking to the more concerned I am getting. I am going to call his regular doctor in the morning and see what they say.

krzymomof4 said:
The more people I am talking to the more concerned I am getting. I am going to call his regular doctor in the morning and see what they say.

I'd check with another orthopedic doctor that specializes in that. A regular doctor won't know the details.

Express your concerns that you have a 14-yr. old BOY and that as a mother you aren't sure if he'd take proper care of it for 4 weeks.

Don't be too concerned, he's not going to do more damage sleeping...unless he's a really wild child. :D

Relax and call in the morning.

I'd even call the current doctor first, express your concerns now that you are thinking about it more and have him explain the reasons his is NOT putting a cast or brace on. Then you have the information you need to call another doctor.

okay, so here is the latest...
I called his doctor and she wasn't happy with the diagnosis either, so she sent us to another doctor. Which is fine, but I hate driving in a big city, let alone going over a bridge during rush hour. Anyway...we get to the office and they start moving his arm and it is still hurting him. They decided to take another xray, but a little higher up. He has a fracture where the bone meets the elbow joint. So he is now in an arm length cast.
I just can't believe it took 3 doctors to figure it out!

krzymomof4 said:
okay, so here is the latest...
I called his doctor and she wasn't happy with the diagnosis either, so she sent us to another doctor. Which is fine, but I hate driving in a big city, let alone going over a bridge during rush hour. Anyway...we get to the office and they start moving his arm and it is still hurting him. They decided to take another xray, but a little higher up. He has a fracture where the bone meets the elbow joint. So he is now in an arm length cast.
I just can't believe it took 3 doctors to figure it out!

Glad it is in a cast now and he can heal!

Way to be persistent Mom!

Mom knows best....gotta go with that gut feeling!

That's one of the reasons God made moms so persistent. :)

I am actually suprised I handled it this way. I am usually the one who thinks the doctor knows more than I do. Something about this just didn't set well with me.

There's a reason God gave you that little voice. Never ignore it.

Related to Greenstick Fracture in Children: Treatment and Care Tips from a Medical Expert

1. What is "Janet..medical" for Ya?

"Janet..medical" is a line of medical-grade cookware and kitchen tools designed specifically for individuals with dietary restrictions or medical conditions.

2. Are the products in the "Janet..medical" line safe to use?

Yes, all products in the "Janet..medical" line are made with high-quality materials that are safe for cooking and food preparation.

3. Can "Janet..medical" products be used for regular cooking?

Yes, while these products are designed with medical needs in mind, they can also be used for regular cooking and are suitable for all home cooks.

4. What makes "Janet..medical" products different from regular cookware?

The "Janet..medical" line is designed with features such as non-toxic materials and easy-to-grip handles, making them ideal for individuals with medical conditions or limited mobility.

5. Are there any health benefits to using "Janet..medical" products?

While "Janet..medical" products are not intended to treat or cure any medical conditions, their design and materials can make cooking and meal preparation easier and more accessible for individuals with dietary restrictions or health concerns.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • heat123
  • General Chat