• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Last Minute Cancellation--Arrghh!

In summary, Debbie's experience has been that cancellations are common, but she has found ways to cope with them. She recommends sending a "guilt gift" and setting up a system where hosts are given advance notice if they need to reschedule.
lacychef
I was supposed to have a show tonite with a MK rep, so I figured out of anyone, someone from another direct sell company wouldn't cancel on me at the last minute. Right? Wrong! She called to cancel about 1:00 today. I couldn't believe it. Then, I called later to tell her I had put her copy of her guest list in her mailbox in case she needed it to call people & tell them it was cancelled. And she says, 'oh I thought you were already doing that!' I'm sorry but isn't that her job, if she's the one that cancelled? I said I would be happy to help call, but she said no she'd do it. Now I don't even know if I want to reschedule with her.
Just had to vent! I won't let it get me down though! I'm still too excited for June!

ARRGHH.... I'm sorry!
Yes... you'd think she would be considerate enough to TRY!
What was her excuse for cancelling?
Was she asking you to do a show for her?

Definitely go out there and get shows for JUNE>..... Maybe she'll reschedule for June... and ACTUALLY have the show, and you'll be glad she whimped out on you in May...

Sorry again!

You might want to start her off with an online/catalog show...although she might not do anything with it. At least you won't be out a booking and extra time!

I would go ahead and call her guest list and see if they want to order, maybe you can throw together a quick HWC fundraiser with the orders.

Last minute cancellations are terrible!!!It's a shame that people get so bent out of shape if something goes wrong with appontments they make from day to day. If the doctor, dentist or even the lawyer was to call somebody up to cancel and reschedule their appointment they would be complaining and even thinking about switching to someone new.
Why on earth these people don't feel the same way about cancelling on us at the last minute is beyond me!!
I always explain to my hosts during host coaching that I need at least 1 1/2 to 2 weeks notice if they plan to cancel. Unless an emergency comes up (death, injury, sickness, etc) but that is very rare. I tell my hosts during host coaching that I need this much notice so I can work to replace the show. If they can get me a replacement then rescheduling is fine. I just don't want to lose out on my commission or time and energy I spent putting together games, prizes, etc...
They usually understand fine. I have only had two cancellations this year, but they quickly rescheduled for later in the month. And I actually enjoyed the time off. But when I am in "HIGH SALES" mode, I appreciate the courtesy of getting a call with enough time to replace the show!
Debbie

Debbie,What a great way to approach that! Thanks for the idea!

I used to have about a 50% cancellation rate. I over-compensated by booking a VERY full schedule, but some weeks I'd be working like mad and others I'd be off the entire week. Not very much consistency for my kids or babysitters. I started sending what I call a "guilt gift". I send a letter explaining why they have chosen the best month to have a show, why their guests will be excited to come, and what I am working toward that month, letting them know that their successful show is very important. The closing line explains to please give plenty of notice if they need to reschedule so I can remain employed for the evening, as my job is fun, but my family is counting on the income. With this, I mail a season's best and the labels for them to stick on invitations with their info (date, time, location).

At Christmas, I have even more trouble with cancellations. People don't anticipate being so busy! So, I bump it up by adding a small baggie of the Harvest Spiced Nuts. I guess I'm hoping that they'll feel too guilty to cancel after I send them a gift, so I call it a "guilt gift". My cancellation rate has improved drastically!

Paige Dixon said:
I used to have about a 50% cancellation rate. I over-compensated by booking a VERY full schedule, but some weeks I'd be working like mad and others I'd be off the entire week. Not very much consistency for my kids or babysitters. I started sending what I call a "guilt gift". I send a letter explaining why they have chosen the best month to have a show, why their guests will be excited to come, and what I am working toward that month, letting them know that their successful show is very important. The closing line explains to please give plenty of notice if they need to reschedule so I can remain employed for the evening, as my job is fun, but my family is counting on the income. With this, I mail a season's best and the labels for them to stick on invitations with their info (date, time, location).

At Christmas, I have even more trouble with cancellations. People don't anticipate being so busy! So, I bump it up by adding a small baggie of the Harvest Spiced Nuts. I guess I'm hoping that they'll feel too guilty to cancel after I send them a gift, so I call it a "guilt gift". My cancellation rate has improved drastically!

Paige,
Can you post a sample of your letter?

I was on the other end of the cancellations two weeks ago. I had to call and cancel a show I was doing 1/2 hour before I was supposed to be there. I was sick the week before and fine all weekend (after a trip to the ER) and thought I'd be okay, but I was doubled over with stomach pains by late afternoon. All moms out there know what it's like to push the pain and misery aside when there is work to be done or kids to attend to, but I couldn't even stand up straight, so I knew there was no way I could do a show. :(
Thankfully the host was very understanding and she was only expecting 5 people (which we know actually means 3) so I didn't feel quite as bad. I told her I would still give her the extra $15 she would've gotten for a Cooking Show and I e-mailed her the recipes before the Vicatin (spelling?) kicked in and I got loopy.:D
It was actually to my benefit to make it a catalog show, because it became a June show rather than a May show!

I hope that never happens again. I guess I can consider myself lucky since that's the first I've had to do that in the year and a half I've been a consultant!

I think I would like a last minute cancellation than what happen to me. My Host (co-worker) tells me she will have 10-12 people 1 week before the show. 2 days before the show she says she doesn't know how many she will have. I offer to change it to a catalog show and she says that she sent invites to people in Michagan and would hate for them to show and her Consultant not be there, soooo I go. 45 minute drive for 1 person with a $70.00 order and 3 hours of my time. She appologizes and says she will get outside orders. Several long distance phone calls later to a voice mail system no less, she calls and says, "my party was flop, I don't have any outside orders, just put my friends order on another show you have"?????:confused: What is that all about??? I say, "oh I'm really sorry! Would you still like to place an order?" She says, "no I don't think so". Then to top it off, it was a March show, her guest was getting the party plates free and the only shows I have open are April so then I had to buy her friends party plates because she said she would do a catalog show in July for me and I wanted to make sure she was happy. So needless to say, I was out time, money, gas and PARTY PLATES!! I was depending on that show for my last SS bonus package and almost lost that too!! I ended up gathering up enough orders from my friends and co-workers and an order of my own which I really didn't need, to get enough orders to get my last bonus package. What a way to end SS month #3. I guess I can't really complain, I got what I wanted but it put me out!:mad:

Jayne - That totally sucks! Well, now you know not to have a live show with her again. If she wants to do any more catalog shows, just plan on not getting the orders from her. If she comes through, it will be a pleasant surprise! :)

I have had last minute cancellations too! But sometimes my cancellations are my highest parties!! When I have a host cancell, I call a few friends or past customers and invite them to my house for a spur of the moment mystery host party. I do my demo, pick a winner, and give them a few days to collect outside orders. Most of the time only three people will show up, but the parties usually end up being $600+ shows. It's easy to do, because I usually have the ingredients on hand anyway. This can be thrown together in an hour or two!

What is your policy on last minute cancellations?

Our policy on last minute cancellations is that we require at least 24 hours notice in order to issue a full refund. If you cancel within 24 hours of the scheduled event, we will issue a partial refund or credit towards a future event.

What if I have a last minute emergency and need to cancel?

We understand that emergencies happen and we will do our best to accommodate your situation. Please contact our customer service team as soon as possible to discuss your options.

Can I transfer my ticket to someone else if I can't attend?

Yes, you can transfer your ticket to someone else if you are unable to attend. Please notify us of the change in attendee name at least 24 hours before the event.

Will there be a fee for last minute cancellations?

If you cancel within 24 hours of the event, there may be a fee or partial refund issued depending on the circumstances. We strive to be understanding and accommodating, so please contact us to discuss your situation.

Can I reschedule my event instead of cancelling?

Yes, we would be happy to reschedule your event for a future date if you are unable to attend. Please contact us at least 24 hours before the event to make arrangements.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• slj1229
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
JAE
  • redsoxgirl
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
PurpleAngel
Replies