• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Large Scale Event.. Has Anyone Ever Ventured There?

In summary, this women's shopping expo and opportunity event is well-established and well-advertised, with celebrity keynote speakers. It is expensive, with a booth rental of $1000, and there is the potential for sales. Sarah did better than I did last year, though, with one online order and one booking. Becca suggests looking at
lfox1028
Hi!

My team and I have the opportunity to participate in a women's shopping expo and opportunity event, with attendance expected around 30,000. The event has been around for several years and attendance has been on the rise. It is well established and well advertised, with celebrity keynote speakers. Everything about it sounds great!

The booth itself costs $1000 and of course, that does not include materials that would be needed. My question is... has anyone ever done an event this size? What should I expect?

I have done smaller events and don't expect too much in sales, as I'm always looking for leads. However, at this type of event and of this size, should I expect sales?? Or is this a giant lead pool?

I want my team to be as informed as possible when making the decision to do this, so any input would be great!
Thanks!

That sounds very expensive. If it's 2-3 days, then it could be worth it. If you want to explore it further, break it down into hours and how much per consultant with 2 consultants working per hour. More than $60-75/hour and it's not likely to fly. Plus, I would strongly suggest getting commitments, even some payments, from consultants before signing a contract and paying the booth rent.

I did a Food Expo thing last year. It had celebrity chefs doing workshops/presentations. There were plenty of booths. I did not do well. One online order. One booking this summer was a lead from it.

Becca, you did better than I did, then!! It was fun, though.lfox, I suggest looking at it as a lead pool. Be prepared to take orders, but don't expect many (or any). Have a drawing to attract people, split up the leads, then be sure to follow-up with EVERYONE, not just those who marked the Yes boxes. My suggestion for a drawing is $25 in free product - then, call everyone and tell them they won, and the $25 will be added to their Host benefits when their show reaches $250 or more. This worked well for me last year. Those who were interested in holding a show were excited about getting extra free product, and those not interested didn't cost me any extra money! By the way, the $25 in Free Product was entered with the host discount, so it didn't cost me $25, and I got commission on it!

I've had the opportunity to participate in an event like this for free. Even at that, it was totally not worth it! Yes, I got tons of leads, but nothing ever came of them. Save your money and get on the phone.

lfox. I have done 2 large events, not nearly the size of 30,000 but in the 10,000's It is a women's weekend. Last year I split the booth with another gal. She took all the bookings (15) and orders, and I sold stuff i had on hand and took orders. I was able to put in about 4 show orders ( I sold 2 skillets with lids and 3 grill pans with presses as their own shows.) My one total show aside from the pans was $900 and that was just my total - the other girl did well too. If you don't have anything to sell at least have things on hand. That is how I sold those pans - I had them out so people could touch and pick them up. Good Luck. Have lots of old catalogs - only give out new ones to people who are booking or that you have a conversation with. Put your info on EVERYTHING and good luck!

Sarah - it sounds like you got bookings from it. I only got the one in July from someone I put on my e-mail list who contacted me.

lfox - Sarah and I did not coordinate the booth we participated in. Someone else did. She is not doing it again this year. She is an AD (not mine) and did not need the leads. She was doing it for her team and very few of them participated. It takes a lot of time coordinating shifts, doing the set-up, etc. Plus, you have to have the time and commitment to do the follow-up with the leads or it's a waste of money. Tread carefully.

I did a large, expensive event before (~$500). So NOT worth it!

Thanks for the advice!

It is a 2-day event and table/chairs, banner etc are all included.

It is being advertised as a shopping event so I was wondering what the percentage of guests stopping by our booth and then the percentage of ordering would be???

The organizer emailed my contact info to the other direct sellers (from other companies) who have participated before and are returning this year. That way I can ask them questions about this specific venue and what they have got out of it.

I love craft fairs and large events if I get to work them the way I want.
I couldn't do them if I depended on PC for my income. The best I usually do is break even. I have spent $500 for a booth, had a large crowd, and not made a penny in return.
Most people that go to these events want something that they can buy and walk away with. I stock up on small items that do not need a warranty. I try to remember what most people are looking for to have it next time. I offer a door prize to help get contact info.

Good insight Bobby. Thanks!

Becca_in_MD said:
Sarah - it sounds like you got bookings from it. I only got the one in July from someone I put on my e-mail list who contacted me.

lfox - Sarah and I did not coordinate the booth we participated in. Someone else did. She is not doing it again this year. She is an AD (not mine) and did not need the leads. She was doing it for her team and very few of them participated. It takes a lot of time coordinating shifts, doing the set-up, etc. Plus, you have to have the time and commitment to do the follow-up with the leads or it's a waste of money. Tread carefully.

No, the bookings I got were from the Home & Garden Show in which I participated in February.

Becca's right, too, about how much effort it is to coordinate a booth at one of these events! I did that for the H & G Show, and it was a huge headache. Bobby's correct, as well, about having cash & carry - the problem is, you never know what people want, so you could sell out or spend a ton of money on inventory and bring it all home. I'm not sure if I want to do the show again this coming February.

I coordinated a PC booth at a Home & Garden Show last Fall. Big waste of time and money for me and everyone else involved. I don't think anyone got any bookings from it or many sales. I saw a bunch of elderly people come through for the craft fair part and all they wanted was a free giveaway like pencils with advertising on them. This kind of event seems to have been hit more by the recession than our cooking shows.That being said, I'm doing a table at a mall this weekend. We'll see if the mall environment is better. Curiosity got the better of me even though I don't really have the time to pull it all together.

Here in Alaska we just got done with our state fair. The fair lasts for 12 days & has tons of people go thru. I am not sure how many years the "Alaska" PC group has had a booth at the fair, but I have purchased shifts for the last three years. The total booth rental is a couple thousand. The cost of the booth & the prize drawing is split between consultants who are interested in purchasing a shift. For my three shifts this year I paid $240, which is a lot of $$$$. I worked 16 looong hours. But, I have over 150 leads with about 2/3 being good-actually interested in some part of PC. I booked 9 cooking shows for October (!!!!!!holy smokes I have never had that many in one month!!!!!). I have two good recruit leads. And $120 in sales. Overall this year was better than year's previous.

My recommendation, if you choose to purchase booth space, is to look at it as a lead gathering opportunity. Do a drawing for a gc or an item. I would not have any cash & carry because you have no idea what people want. If the event is before Christmas, look at putting together some gift ideas with two prices. The first price being if they choose to order the product & put together the gift themself. The second price would be if you put it together for them. For example, a Coffee & More for Two Gift set: Coffee & More Cups, Instant Hot Chocolate (Land o'Lakes?), Instant Coffee (Starbucks?), & Herbal Tea bags. I make it for you: $30 (includes cost of supplies etc..) or DIY:$20

Most importantly would be training before & follow-up after. Yes, it will take time to go thru the leads you get, but the fortune is in the follow-up. Two cd's to listen to would be "Booths Build Business" (great ideas-I have listened 3x & still get new ideas each time) and "The Fortune is in the Follow-up".

Good Luck!

akrebecca said:
Most importantly would be training before & follow-up after. Yes, it will take time to go thru the leads you get, but the fortune is in the follow-up. Two cd's to listen to would be "Booths Build Business" (great ideas-I have listened 3x & still get new ideas each time) and "The Fortune is in the Follow-up".

Good Luck!
Hi Rebecca... nice! Where can we find these CD'S?

JackieB999 said:
Hi Rebecca... nice! Where can we find these CD'S?

I will have to check. I believe I bought BBB off the supply list. The other was from another consultant. I can ask her.

Okay. On Consultant's Corner, go to the Online Training Center (Under the training tab). Under the Resources section, search for Booths Build Business.

I will listen to the Fortune cd tomorrow for the conference date.

Just wanted to chime in...I just finished two large events (4 days, over $500 per booth). Both were, and have been for years (6 years now), fantastic! I had some of my team working at both events and we all booked shows, got recruit leads, took orders. From the first one, I booked 3 Sept shows, one catalog (sales are already over $300), Oct shows, LOTS of follow up and $350 in orders. That's just what I got...
At the second one, I finished with 3 Oct shows, more Sept, 3 recruiting interviews scheduled, and over $500 in orders. It really depends on whether you are ready to put in the time AFTER to do the follow up. I go into the event simply looking for leads...the rest is gravy. This sounds like a targeted event and, personally, I would do it! Split the cost, remember that it's a tax write off, and have fun with it!

Thanks for all the input everyone! We have decided not to do the event this year. The deadline is coming up quick, and there is much needed preparation for this size event. We want to make sure we are at our best when representing ourselves and PC.

1. What types of large scale events does Pampered Chef cater to?

Pampered Chef specializes in providing high-quality kitchen tools, accessories, and ingredients for various types of large scale events such as weddings, corporate events, fundraisers, and holiday parties.

2. How does Pampered Chef handle large scale event orders?

Our team at Pampered Chef is equipped to handle large scale event orders with ease. We have a dedicated events team who will work with you to customize your order and ensure that it is delivered on time and in perfect condition.

3. Can Pampered Chef provide personalized products for large scale events?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers personalized products for large scale events. We have a variety of options for customization, including engraving on kitchen tools, personalized packaging, and custom labels for ingredients.

4. Does Pampered Chef offer discounts for large scale event orders?

Yes, we do offer discounts for large scale event orders. Our events team will work with you to determine the best pricing based on your order size and specific needs.

5. How far in advance should I place my large scale event order with Pampered Chef?

We recommend placing your large scale event order with Pampered Chef at least 4-6 weeks in advance to ensure availability and allow enough time for customization and delivery. However, we will do our best to accommodate last-minute orders as well.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • esavvymom