• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Caring for Our 6 Year Old with Possible JD: A Parent's Story

In summary, JD stands for Juvenile Diabetes and is a chronic condition that affects the body's ability to regulate blood sugar levels. Parents of children with JD face challenges such as monitoring blood sugar levels and managing their child's diet and physical activity. Communication with the child's school and access to resources and support groups can help parents ensure their child receives proper care.
quiverfull7
Gold Member
Anyone here have a child with JD?
Our 6 year old seems to have some symptoms so i'm taking her
in tomorrow. Trying not to freak out and also thanking God
that her teacher alerted me to her need for drinking lately that
was such a change in pattern. She's also begun wetting the bed
again lately which she had so proudly overcome.

I'm sorry that I can't relate personally, but I'll be praying for ya'll.

I had a boyfried with JD several years ago. Signs to look for can include excessive thirst, metal taste in her mouth, sweet smelling breath, weight loss, aggressive behavior, or seeming lost and incoherent. Getting her checked is the best thing you can do. I will keep your family in my prayers.

PRAISE GOD with us! Her tests were clear!!!!! There were trace amounts of blood in her urine so they are doing a culture but we are SO thankful to God! We also know that He would see us through if it had not been clear and also that there are so many other things that are worse diagnosis than JD but I'm just so so so thankful! Can't thank all of you enough for your support!!!!!!!!

FYI, Type 1 Diabetes (which used to be called Juvenile Diabetes and is mostly diagnosed in kids) is autoimmune. So, if your kid has been really ill and has diabetic symptoms, go get checked out as fast as possible! It is always a good idea to get checked out no matter what since Type 2 is now being diagnosed more and more in younger kids due to our horrible diet and lack of exercise.

1. What is JD and how does it affect a 6 year old?

JD stands for Juvenile Diabetes, also known as Type 1 Diabetes. It is a chronic condition where the body's immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. This results in the body not being able to properly regulate blood sugar levels, which can lead to serious health complications.

2. How did the parent in the story handle their child's diagnosis?

The parent in the story took their child to a doctor after noticing symptoms such as excessive thirst, frequent urination, and weight loss. They were devastated by the diagnosis but took the necessary steps to educate themselves and their child about JD. They also worked closely with their child's healthcare team to develop a treatment plan.

3. What are some common challenges for parents of children with JD?

Some common challenges for parents of children with JD include constantly monitoring blood sugar levels, administering insulin injections or managing an insulin pump, dealing with potential mood swings and behavior changes, and managing their child's diet and physical activity.

4. How can a parent ensure their child is properly cared for at school?

It is important for parents to communicate with their child's school and teachers about their JD. This may involve creating a care plan, training school staff on how to recognize and handle low or high blood sugar levels, and providing necessary supplies and medication. Regular check-ins and open communication can also help ensure the child's needs are being met.

5. Are there any resources or support groups available for parents of children with JD?

Yes, there are many resources and support groups available for parents of children with JD. These can include online communities, local support groups, and organizations such as the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) and the American Diabetes Association (ADA). These resources can provide valuable information, support, and connections with other parents going through similar experiences.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • vanscootin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jean DeVries
  • leslieprichett
  • General Chat
Replies