• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Traveling for the Holidays Worth the Effort? A Parody with a Deeper Message

The speaker is talking about how she and her husband usually travel to spend Christmas with her family. She says that this year they will be staying home. She has two siblings and her mother who live with her, so she will not be travelling this year.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Look at this - a parody with a real meaning.

I hate traveling at Christmas - although some of you may recall that I was one of about three guests in a hotel last Christmas Eve. Rooms are pretty easy to get.

Hotels are easy to find, but I always hear there is no room in the Inn...

We are staying home this year and enjoying an immediate family Christmas together...nice and quiet.

We do the same thing every year. Christmas Eve at DH's parents, 45 minutes away. Home for the night. Christmas day off to my parents, about an hour and 15 minutes away, and over night. Home by late afternoon on the 26th.

Last time I traveled for Christmas was a couple years ago. We went to my sister's in WI. It was actually fun, because the little ones were a hoot on Christmas morning.But typically, we don't travel for Christmas. This year, DH and I both have time off, but are saving money because we'll both be traveling in January. Me to Leadership, and him to Atlanta for car club meeting.

We'll be home for Christmas & New Years.

I didn't get married until I was in my late 30's and I traveled to be with family every Christmas until then. Now that I am married and have a small child I stay home. I informed all my relatives and DH's relatives too that as long as my child believed in Santa that he would wake-up in his own home and that we would not be traveling for Christmas - if they wanted to see us then they could do the traveling. No-one had argued with me or given me a hard time about it.

Never had to travel anywhere for Christmas (entire family is here in SD) thank goodness!

We're home for the holidays. Farthest we travel is about 20 minutes on Christmas Eve, and we always have the New Year's bash at our house.

My whole family lives 1 town away! No traveling for us.

no traveling for us we will be staying home again this Christmas. I will keep it that way even when we move back closer to family.

Some minor traveling, 6 Christmases to go to - some as close as 5 mintues, a couple 1 hour away. We are visiting all the families within a week! Yikes!

I quit "trippin" a long, long time ago.....;)

I think this is the first Christmas that we aren't going anywhere! My Mom, sister and BIL are coming here for the week. It will be fun!!

This is the last year for quite a while that we will be traveling for Christmas. Every year my DH and I, since we were dating, we have gone home to my parents for Christmas, which is about 4 hours away. All my family is down there - which makes for a crazy busy Christmas day! We're going this year, since Emily is only 10 months, but starting next year - we're staying put! It's time to start our own traditions in our own home. I'm actually very excited about it!

I agree with you, Linda - as long as my DD believes in Santa - we'll be waking up Christmas morning in our own home! :angel:

Today we're going to my grandma's, about 2 hours away. Then tomorrow to my parents' which is only 10 minutes away. Christmas day we actually get to stay home for the first time in a long time & I'm excited!

Since we had our son 8 year ago we stay home on Christmas Day. Christmas Eve is big in my dh family so we go about 25 min. away to dh's aunts house for the "feast of the Seven Fishes". Then Christmas Day we stay home and my mom who lives with us and my brother come here for dinner and we just relax and play with my ds.

Merry Christmas everyone and those of you who are traveling please be safe.

I guess I'm the "oddball" in this group. I grew up in Florida, but married my Ohio guy, and we live here in the north now.
When we got married, I told my mother-in-law that I really wanted to go home for Christmas. She told me that, she didn't feel right asking me to stay here, since "they have me" for all of the other holidays! She didn't want to be selfish.
I've got a really wonderful mother-in-law, and this is just one example of how she is!!

Anyway, my sister-in-law (dh's sis) felt the way some of you do, that she wanted her kids to "wake up" in their own home. I thought about it, but decided that our way works just fine.

Here's what we did...

Travel to Florida, to spend a week or so with my side of the family. Since my in-laws were so understanding, I also wanted to be fair right back, and always made it a point to return by New Year's. "Santa" simply came to our house on January 1st! We opened our gifts that morning, then went to my mil's for the rest of the day, where they had yet another Christmas!
It works for us, as we all have jobs where everyone's off on New Year's Day, so it could be a "set date" for us as well. Also, kids usually go back to school on the 2nd or so, so it works out better than trying to have Christmas here on the 25th, then go to Florida, have it on new year's, and still try to get home by the next day...too crazy that way!!

Now, kids are older, and my parents are both gone, so things aren't the way they used to be...sometimes we stay here and have my sister, who's never married, just come up here. My brother is alot older than me (15 years), and is a grandfather now, so they usually go see their daughter, and we can't all be together every year. It's just how it is, like it or not, you know..?

This year, we ARE going to Florida, but not until after Christmas. My son is a Senior this year, and in the high school band. We're heading to Disney World! The band will perform in the Citrus bowl parade next weekend, as well as the Magic Kingdom on Sunday. On Tuesday, New Year's Day, they'll also now be performing in Universal Studios. We're going to take him home with us, and stop in Jacksonville on our way to visit my siblings and possibly some aunts, cousins, etc. Should be a fun trip.

I don't mean to criticize anyone for how they celebrate. I think it is a personal choice; however, I do highly recommend you be flexible as much as possible, so you will be able to enjoy each year to its fullest!!

I've often joked that, since my husband is the only son, I'm the future "Grandma Lewis", and I can just see it now...All our kids get married, and go to their in-law's house for Christmas, because, after all, don't we celebrate Christmas on New Year's Day in the Lewis family? lol

Anyway,

Merry Christmas, everyone!!
(whatever day you celebrate it!! ha! ha!)

Paula

1. How can I make my holiday dishes stand out?

Adding unique and flavorful ingredients such as herbs, spices, and specialty oils can elevate your dishes and make them stand out during the holidays. Our Pampered Chef seasonings and gourmet oils are perfect for adding that extra touch of flavor.

2. What are some quick and easy appetizers for holiday parties?

Our Mini Tart Shaper is a great tool for creating bite-sized appetizers such as mini quiches, tarts, and stuffed mushrooms. You can also use our Mini Muffin Pan to make mini meatballs or sweet treats like bite-sized brownies or mini cheesecakes.

3. How can I save time on holiday meal prep?

Investing in quality kitchen tools can save you a lot of time during holiday meal prep. Our Food Chopper and Garlic Press are great for chopping and mincing ingredients quickly and efficiently. Our Mandoline Slicer and Julienne Peeler are also great for slicing and shredding vegetables in no time.

4. What are some must-have items for holiday baking?

Our Stoneware Baking Pans and Cookie Sheets are a must-have for holiday baking. They distribute heat evenly, resulting in perfectly baked goods every time. Our Cookie Press is also a great tool for making festive and delicious cookies for the holidays.

5. How can I make holiday cooking and baking easier?

Planning and prepping ahead of time can make holiday cooking and baking a lot easier. You can also use our Quick Cooker and Multi-Cooker to make one-pot meals and save time on clean up. Our Flexible Cutting Mats are also great for prepping ingredients and can be easily washed and stored away.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
baychef
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
Replies