• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is there too much emphasis on recruitment in the direct sales industry?

lot recently. I think it's great that so many people are good at recruitment, but I don't like the emphasis on it. It feels like it takes the company in a different direction, away from the fabulous products that drew me in in the first place. I'm just trying to get more shows in a month and learn to pick up the phone more, but I don't think the recruitment requirement takes away from that. If I ever did want to pursue directorship, I think I could do it with enough hard work and dedication, but I don't want to feel like I'm under pressure to do so.
Why is that such a difficult concept for corporate managers to understand?

Because that's just common sense and they rely on business and marketing degrees. They're too busy trying to outsmart the average consumer/customer while worrying about the bottom line rather than customer service, which promotes company loyalty. If they worried more about customer service and loyalty, they would never need to worry about the bottom line. It would take care of itself.

I think it also has something to do with performance reviews and empire building. "Look, Mommy! See how many new customers/consultants I brought in!" sounds so much sexier than "Look, Mommy! See how many customers/consultants I kept!"It's all about growth - never mind that growth is pointless if it matches shrinkage.

BethCooks4U said:
Send those comments to HO.
Better to send the entire thread with the salient points highlighted. Those at HO who are really interested (boxes and circles) will read the entire thread but those who won't read the entire thread (triangles and squiggles) need an executive summary.

Maybe I'll do that when this finally tapers off.

I think it would be a great idea to send the thread to HO, because as much as we all like to vent and discuss things on this site, you can be sure there will not be any change if HO doesn't see any of it. If they see it, they at least know that some people are unhappy about the new recruiting requirements, and then they can decide from there if they want to ammend the requirements at all. It's still early in the year, they definately could if they wanted to. But they won't unless they know there is dissatisfaction.

I tried to post yesterday, but my computer did somethign funky and erased my whole post (it was a long one). I will summarize.

There have been alot of great points made on this discussion. I have been having it with a few fellow consultants myself. What I would like to see PC do is start a different success track for people who are not recruiting-minded. People who are working their businesses hard, but are not willing or able to recruit should still have the opportunity to earn wonderful things from the company. Similar to KG's idea.

I have been with PC for 4-1/2 years. For the past few months I have been tettering on leaving the company. It is getting extremely frustrating that I have been unable to reach my goals. I have taken training, done step-up and tried to implement many of the wonderful ideas I've learned over the years. I have just not been successful. I just wish that PC recognized (better) people who have consistent sales (mine have been consistently over $3k for the past 6 months) and bookings (at least 3 at every show). Because without hosts and happy customers there is no PC. Sellers and just as important as Recruiter and I wish that it was reflected by the promotions and incentives.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well stated, CK.
Ditto Sandra and Please Don't leave PC! :(

For the first two years of my business I was a total hobbyist. I even got the "you are about to go inactive" letter three times, but never went inactive. I am way too stubborn for that. By the way, as a hobbyist I never came close to earning level 1.

Even in those years of my business, I offered up the opportunity and had a few takers. I think I recruited one person the first year and two the second year.

I think offering the opportunity to everyone we meet is something we should do because how it truly can change someone's life. When I began this business I had another fulltime career (40 - 55 hours a week), three kids (youngest was four months) and a great husband. Even though my husband and I made great livings, I wanted a little something just for me.

After two years in the business, I decided I wanted to spend more time with my kids and I quit my corporate job. If I was not offered the opportunity, I would still be working fulltime and not spend nearly as much time with my kids. Pampered Chef has truly given me so much for which to be thankful.

Knowing what this business has meant to me, I feel a real obligation to offer it to others. You really do not need to want to recruit (by the way, I hate that word) to offer the opportunity.

If you are having problems with getting those fence sitters to give it a try, I suggest a little role playing with your Director. Go through the entire process with him/her as if he/she showed an interest in the business. I know not everyone on here has a Director with whom you can work. If not, find a friend in the business and do the role playing with your friend.

For all of the new people, your Director can help you with your early recruiting. I encourage the Consultants in my downline to have me help them recruit there first few recruits. That is my job as their Director.

Since I quit my fulltime corporate job, I have earned level 1 the past two years. I came close to the trips, but just was off a little. This has been very exciting, but not nearly as exciting as watching the people on my team work their businesses.

Okay, one more thing to add or it will drive me a little crazy. There does seem to be a little bitterness towards Pampered Chef for changing the requirements. When you let this get to you, it will affect how successful you are with your Pampered Chef because the subconscious mind is very powerful. Try to look at the changes as something to work towards. Make offering the opportunity a true goal and do all of the things necessary to make it happen. I promise you it will make you feel GREAT even if you never wanted to recruit.

Thanks!
Lisa

ChefLisa said:
.......recruit (by the way, I hate that word)
I do too! I've tried to think of a better one, but haven't yet.

PartyLite uses "sponsor". That's not so bad...

ChefLisa said:
Try to look at the changes as something to work towards. Make offering the opportunity a true goal and do all of the things necessary to make it happen. I promise you it will make you feel GREAT even if you never wanted to recruit.

Thanks!
Lisa

This is exactly what I plan to do!

I am a bit frustrated by the new guidelines but I am going to use it as the push I need.

etteluap70PC said:

I am a bit frustrated by the new guidelines but I am going to use it as the push I need.

Paulette! That is AWESOME! Congratulations on your decision and good luck!

Lisa

ChefLisa said:
For the first two years of my business I was a total hobbyist. I even got the "you are about to go inactive" letter three times, but never went inactive. I am way too stubborn for that. By the way, as a hobbyist I never came close to earning level 1.

Even in those years of my business, I offered up the opportunity and had a few takers. I think I recruited one person the first year and two the second year.

I think offering the opportunity to everyone we meet is something we should do because how it truly can change someone's life. When I began this business I had another fulltime career (40 - 55 hours a week), three kids (youngest was four months) and a great husband. Even though my husband and I made great livings, I wanted a little something just for me.

After two years in the business, I decided I wanted to spend more time with my kids and I quit my corporate job. If I was not offered the opportunity, I would still be working fulltime and not spend nearly as much time with my kids. Pampered Chef has truly given me so much for which to be thankful.

Knowing what this business has meant to me, I feel a real obligation to offer it to others. You really do not need to want to recruit (by the way, I hate that word) to offer the opportunity.

If you are having problems with getting those fence sitters to give it a try, I suggest a little role playing with your Director. Go through the entire process with him/her as if he/she showed an interest in the business. I know not everyone on here has a Director with whom you can work. If not, find a friend in the business and do the role playing with your friend.

For all of the new people, your Director can help you with your early recruiting. I encourage the Consultants in my downline to have me help them recruit there first few recruits. That is my job as their Director.

Since I quit my fulltime corporate job, I have earned level 1 the past two years. I came close to the trips, but just was off a little. This has been very exciting, but not nearly as exciting as watching the people on my team work their businesses.

Okay, one more thing to add or it will drive me a little crazy. There does seem to be a little bitterness towards Pampered Chef for changing the requirements. When you let this get to you, it will affect how successful you are with your Pampered Chef because the subconscious mind is very powerful. Try to look at the changes as something to work towards. Make offering the opportunity a true goal and do all of the things necessary to make it happen. I promise you it will make you feel GREAT even if you never wanted to recruit.

Thanks!
Lisa

Gotta love it!!!:) :sing: :sing:

etteluap70PC said:

I should add that just because it is the push I need for my buis. (which is exactly why PC has done this) It does not mean I feel it is a good direction (recruit, recruit, recruit!!!!) for the company to go in. l think that consultants who work hard and have consistent sales should not be penialized because other people can not make up their minds.

etteluap70PC said:
I should add that just because it is the push I need for my buis. (which is exactly why PC has done this) It does not mean I feel it is a good direction (recruit, recruit, recruit!!!!) for the company to go in. l think that consultants who work hard and have consistent sales should not be penialized because other people can not make up their minds.

My glass is feeling half full - As Pampered Chef Consultants we are not penalized for not doing something, we are rewarded for accomplishments!

Hey, if a person like me can do it (sometimes a little lazy, unorganized and not the best with follow-up) anyone can do it!;)

ChefLisa said:
My glass is feeling half full - As Pampered Chef Consultants we are not penalized for not doing something, we are rewarded for accomplishments!

Hey, if a person like me can do it (sometimes a little lazy, unorganized and not the best with follow-up) anyone can do it!;)

Not stirring pot....keeping mouth shut;)

Good point Lisa!!

ChefLisa said:

That's how I feel. To add to your list.. I have never been a great cook and don't consider myself one now! :) The funny thing is these very traits help me recruit with that very reasoning! I earned level TWO strictly because of recruiting (19 last year) My sales did not even hit $15K in the year. BIG difference from my first year when I sold $18K and I started in September! There is no doubt in my mind that my sales suffered because of recruiting but I know that in the long run recruiting pays off even more. Like Colleen says paychecks are better and I do think that as a goal, it is working smarter. With that said... I do feel for those who work their butt off doing shows and have consistent high sales. I admire those who earn trips primarily on sales, my hat off to you. I work full time so I can't dedicate as much time to shows as I would like (hopefully I can quit soon and do that.)

I have read the whole thread and see good points on both sides. KG as always shares his gems of wisdom sprinkled with humor. I think we are all adults and can handle digesting both sides and not agree with everything but use what we can to better our own businesses. If you did not share your frustrations and they were not discussed here how would I know those exist and prepare for those view points when expressed by my own team? As a matter of fact I can bring them up and discuss them so they can express themselves. Sometimes knowing others struggle with things helps us know we are not alone. The great thing about CS is that we find answers and people are willing to share what works.

Lisa...you are a very incouraging woman. Thank you for sharing your wisdom in such a way.

Addie4tlc...congrats on your recruiting skills...wow. It is true that it helps to know what others are feeling. If we don't know, we can't help each other. That is what is so great about having girlfriends to share with...online or in person.

Shawnna said:
Lisa...you are a very incouraging woman. Thank you for sharing your wisdom in such a way.

Addie4tlc...congrats on your recruiting skills...wow. It is true that it helps to know what others are feeling. If we don't know, we can't help each other. That is what is so great about having girlfriends to share with...online or in person.

Thank you!:blushing:

This is a great thread! I have enjoyed seeing both sides of the coin. No one one my team has even mentioned the recruiting necessary for the incentives, so if they do, I have plenty of ammo from this thread!
I think the way you look at this subject is that you need to define for yourself what an "incentive" is. Once you get that thought in your head, if it is something you want to achieve, you will put your best effort forth to do just that. I mean, really, one recruit in a year to earn Level 1 is not unattainable for any of us. I hate to think about how many shows I would have to do to earn the Level 3 trip (my goal) with just sales! I do understand the concern that "why should I have to recruit?" and I love KG's answer to that...you really should send your idea to HO!

Leggy-you sure didn't show that side of yourself at Leadership!!!!

ChefMoore said:
I think it would be a great idea to send the thread to HO....

You all are going to make me sooooo regret posting that photo!

Joking aside, this is a great discussion. I'm too tired to coherently join in tonight, other than to say KG's comment:"..growth is pointless if it matches shrinkage" is one I hope HO takes particular note of.
I'm not a shareholder in the company, but I do have a personal stock in it's future.:)

:chef: leggy

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I've been pointing out since NC that the push on recruiting is eerily similar to Amway and a little scary, IMHO.

We all have different reasons for joining and belonging, and we all have different goals and desires. Not everyone aspires to be a director and a "one size fits all" philosophy just isn't a good idea, at least, in the long run.

Some people are not comfortable recruiting, and maybe they will not be comfortable being a manager. If forced to recruit without the real desire to do so, the result could be disillusioned recruits who leave as potential detractors to the opportunity.

I think there is a way to make this work, though. I'd like to see a way for someone to recruit and earn the perks that go with it, but then have the ability to pass the recruit to a director who loves to be a manager. The result could be a win-win deal for the recruiter, the director and the company, but more importantly, to the recruit.

Just my viewpoint.

I agree, KG. I already have a FT job and need the benes that go with it.
If I am making PC fit my life so I can promote it as my "fun job" then I don't want to feel pressured, or that I am missing out because I don't want to build a team of my own.

MaddyandOwensMom said:
I think the idea of giving yourself 5 years is excellent. I think it can really give you a fair opportunity. I know a bunch af ladies who joined when I did or later that have already thrown in the apron, if you will. I would love to know why. As a friend who had been with another DS company said, the expectations given to her were not something she could live up to. I think it's very important to have goals, but I think they need to be attainable given your situation. One of the ladies was told she could make $500 a month and she was thrilled. Yes I think this is attainable, but for her situation, maybe not-full-time job, a young child, and a husband. I'm just guessing, but when was she going to spend time with her child if she was doing 8 shows a month? I know that's a bit off topic, but some have wondered why the new focus.

BTW, after I left this thread last night, I got an e-mail from my Director about an offer to do intense training with our speaker from the Conference to help promote to director. It only went to five of us in the cluster and I am very flattered, but it is just not where I am right now. My goal is to fill up the calander consistently. I actually did get on the phone these past two nights and booked two catty shows, so I hope to be headed in the right direction! And just so you know, I actually do have a recruit lead that I would be happy to help along. I realize that it is truly all about her and if some points or a gift card should come my way, that's great, but she has to be ready to take the plunge!
Jessica

I decided I would need 5 years when I first signed to build my customer base and learn sales. I never sold anything before. I only work PC part time. I do feel like just in the past 6 months I'm getting to the level I want to consistently be at. It's been a lot of work getting here, but in December I made $300 going out for 3 hours one night! This month I'll be making about $800 going out 4 nights. The hard work is starting to pay off! I'm getting more consistent at getting bookings too!

Congrats on the invite for training. Even if you don't want to recruit now, you may not want to give up the training opportunity. I take any training I can get. I find the more times I hear things the more it sticks. I attended step-up before. I would love to take it again because there are some things I always need to be reminded of and hear again.

One thing I think we all need to remember is we need to know our individual goal. No matter what the company puts in front of us. I know Belinda talks about it on one of her tapes. She gave the example of a recruit who had a sales goal of $2,000 for the month. She reached $2,500 and was so happy and proud of herself. Then she attends the monthly meeting and somene else reached $3,500. She says to herself, "Oh, but she doesn't work another job like I do." Now she is upset, but she exceeded her own goal! She didn't have her goal set at $3,500. This is one of the hardest things to remember when we attend the monthly meetings.

We each need to decide our we going to go for the incentive trip or not. It is early, we have 12 months to get there! I'm shooting for level one!

dianevill said:
PartyLite uses "sponsor". That's not so bad...

I agree, I really hate "recruit" as well... reminds me of the military and (at least to me) sounds very harsh and formal. But "sponsor" makes me thing of AA.

I tried looking online for a better word, but couldn't find anything that sounded good to me. However, I found this really neat thesaurus... Thinkmap Visual Thesaurus

katie0128 said:
But "sponsor" makes me thing of AA.

Ha ha! That is exactly what I thought!!:) :) laughing so hard my husband is looking at me weird!:rolleyes:

How about "teammate"? I'm into teaching, playing, and coaching sports. "Recruit" doesn't bother me, but "sponsor" reminds me of AA, also.

JAE said:
"sponsor" reminds me of AA, also.

I agree...

I call them future consultants (if they haven't signed) or new consultants (if they are...)

JAE said:
How about "teammate"? I'm into teaching, playing, and coaching sports. "Recruit" doesn't bother me, but "sponsor" reminds me of AA, also.

LOL - you're right; never thought of it, but now that you mention it...

finley1991 said:
I agree...

I call them future consultants (if they haven't signed) or new consultants (if they are...)

So simple, yet so appropriate. I love these choice of words.

We offer the opportunity to future Consultants. When she/he joins our team, she/he is a new Consultant.

Thank you Colleen!

Prospective Consultants is another possibility.

When someone joins the team I say that "Current Consultant welcomes "New Consultant" to our team. (Of course I use their NAMES.:p ) - I don't say CC recruited NC.

JAE said:
Hi, I'm KG and I'm a Chefaholic.

Hi, KG!

I thought I could just quit any time and that I could control it, but every time the new catalog came out from TPC, I couldn't help myself and I just had to have one of everything...

BethCooks4U said:
Prospective Consultants is another possibility.

When someone joins the team I say that "Current Consultant welcomes "New Consultant" to our team. (Of course I use their NAMES.:p ) - I don't say CC recruited NC.

When I put out my welcome note when someone signs I say, "Welcome Julie X. Julie was invited to join us by Mary R."

That way it reminds them that they should be INVITING!!!! :)

Hi KG - I'm AC.

I've been where you are and I feel your pain. My downfall is all of those blame "carrots" that TPC offers. I have no self control when it comes to earning free products.

<h2>1. Why is there so much emphasis on recruitment in the direct sales industry?</h2><p>In the direct sales industry, recruitment is seen as a way to build a strong team and advance in the company. It is also a way to increase sales and reach a larger customer base. Many companies place a lot of emphasis on recruitment because it is a key factor in the success of the business.</p><h2>2. Has there been an increase in the focus on recruitment in the past year?</h2><p>Yes, there has been a noticeable increase in the focus on recruitment in the past year. This could be due to the growing popularity of direct sales and the competition among companies to recruit top-performing consultants. Additionally, with the rise of social media and online marketing, it has become easier for companies to reach potential recruits.</p><h2>3. What is the main reason for joining a direct sales company?</h2><p>The main reason for joining a direct sales company varies for each individual. However, many people are drawn to direct sales because of the opportunity to sell and promote products they are passionate about, as well as the potential to earn income and build a successful business. Recruitment is also a factor for those who are interested in building a team and advancing in the company.</p><h2>4. How do recruitment requirements affect consultants' goals?</h2><p>Recruitment requirements can affect consultants' goals in different ways. For some, it may provide motivation to build their team and achieve higher levels in the company. However, for others who may not feel comfortable with recruitment or prefer to focus on other aspects of their business, it can be a source of added pressure and may divert their attention away from their original goals.</p><h2>5. What are your thoughts on the shift in focus towards recruitment?</h2><p>As a consultant, it is understandable that you may have mixed feelings about the shift in focus towards recruitment. While it can be beneficial for the growth of the company and individual consultants, it can also be overwhelming and may take away from the original emphasis on promoting and selling products. It is important to find a balance and focus on what works best for you and your business goals.</p>

1. Why is there so much emphasis on recruitment in the direct sales industry?

In the direct sales industry, recruitment is seen as a way to build a strong team and advance in the company. It is also a way to increase sales and reach a larger customer base. Many companies place a lot of emphasis on recruitment because it is a key factor in the success of the business.

2. Has there been an increase in the focus on recruitment in the past year?

Yes, there has been a noticeable increase in the focus on recruitment in the past year. This could be due to the growing popularity of direct sales and the competition among companies to recruit top-performing consultants. Additionally, with the rise of social media and online marketing, it has become easier for companies to reach potential recruits.

3. What is the main reason for joining a direct sales company?

The main reason for joining a direct sales company varies for each individual. However, many people are drawn to direct sales because of the opportunity to sell and promote products they are passionate about, as well as the potential to earn income and build a successful business. Recruitment is also a factor for those who are interested in building a team and advancing in the company.

4. How do recruitment requirements affect consultants' goals?

Recruitment requirements can affect consultants' goals in different ways. For some, it may provide motivation to build their team and achieve higher levels in the company. However, for others who may not feel comfortable with recruitment or prefer to focus on other aspects of their business, it can be a source of added pressure and may divert their attention away from their original goals.

5. What are your thoughts on the shift in focus towards recruitment?

As a consultant, it is understandable that you may have mixed feelings about the shift in focus towards recruitment. While it can be beneficial for the growth of the company and individual consultants, it can also be overwhelming and may take away from the original emphasis on promoting and selling products. It is important to find a balance and focus on what works best for you and your business goals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
Replies
Views
Hunter Mom
  • MaddyandOwensMom
  • General Chat