• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is there too much emphasis on recruitment in the direct sales industry?

lot recently. I think it's great that so many people are good at recruitment, but I don't like the emphasis on it. It feels like it takes the company in a different direction, away from the fabulous products that drew me in in the first place. I'm just trying to get more shows in a month and learn to pick up the phone more, but I don't think the recruitment requirement takes away from that. If I ever did want to pursue directorship, I think I could do it with enough hard work and dedication, but I don't want to feel like I'm under pressure to do so.
I also want to add that recruiting is NOT part our job. Sharing the opportunity is one aspect of our job. You can share the opportunity 100 times a day and that does not mean that you will recruit anyone. OUR "JOB" IS TO SHARE THE OPPORTUNITY...NOT RECRUIT. There is a difference and you can see the difference when you attend other DS parties. Recruiting is for the Army, not my business.

Again, in my humble opinionAs I started the last thread out, this is just my opinion.

I don't know if you know the reason why there is a push for recruiting from the HO. But we have lost over 10,000 consultants in the past couple years. We were at a high of almost 70,000 consultants and right now we are at 55,000.

I have been on this community to see a lot of posts and I understand that it is a community. But it is just discouraging to come on and see threads like this. Like I said I was looking forward to recommending this site to my team because it helped me so much. But, why would I want my team to come to the site and read negative threads like this one? To let them think that because many can't recruit, the can't. Just like at my meetings, we do not delve into negative thinking.

Again, this is just my feelings and my opinion, like you said it is a communtiy.

A couple quotes for a positive ending!

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." Sir John Lubbock

"Life reflects your own thoughts back to you." Napoleon Hill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"...positive attitudes...come in unlimited quantities. Everybody can have one free!" Harvey Mackay

fruit76loop said:
As I started the last thread out, this is just my opinion.

I don't know if you know the reason why there is a push for recruiting from the HO. But we have lost over 10,000 consultants in the past couple years. We were at a high of almost 70,000 consultants and right now we are at 55,000.

I have been on this community to see a lot of posts and I understand that it is a community. But it is just discouraging to come on and see threads like this. Like I said I was looking forward to recommending this site to my team because it helped me so much. But, why would I want my team to come to the site and read negative threads like this one? To let them think that because many can't recruit, the can't. Just like at my meetings, we do not delve into negative thinking.

Again, this is just my feelings and my opinion, like you said it is a communtiy.

A couple quotes for a positive ending!

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." Sir John Lubbock

"Life reflects your own thoughts back to you." Napoleon Hill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"...positive attitudes...come in unlimited quantities. Everybody can have one free!" Harvey Mackay

Some people are just determined to see their glass as half empty!

Those who do, seem to think they have some inalienable right to share the negative with everyone else......I don't think they even realize how bad it sounds, and how it drives people away.....

When I do my recruiting talk at my shows, if I see a couple eye rolls or lack of interest I simply say "I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't share it with you."

It is a reality that every year people leave...what is that saying...1/3 are leaving 1/3 are coming, 1/3 are staying, something like that. I think all DS companies are seeing the same thing. It is life. Peoples priorities shift, the economy of their area changes, etc.

Some people choose to see their glass half empy...its true. But, sharing their feelings with us does not make them a company basher. Each person knows what they are capable of. If someone reads that I don't feel I can recruit, and thinks if I can't then they can't, they have a problem with their own self-esteem. I don't base my goals or what I can do on anyone else.

People have just shared that they are unhappy that they can't reach an incentive without recruting. I don't think they were saying they can't recruit...just that they don't like the fact that they have to in order to achieve an incentive.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"...this is true. When I read their posts I did not see negativity. I did not see PC bashing or whining. I saw frustration and the need to vent about personal feelings. Negativity comes in when we start telling them they have no right to feel that way or tell us that they feel that way. They did not post anything that wasn't true. If a recruit comes here and sees that someone is upset about having to recruit to receive an incentive, it does not hurt the recruit. It has no bearing on their business what so ever. They have just learned that not everyone recruits and that if they want to earn an incentive then they will have to recuit. That is good information to know...not everyone has the same goals and everyone runs their business the way they want to, and I don't have to depend on them to run mine.

This is a great exchange.... I have seen nothing I perceived as Bashing PC.
I have been a con. for almost 5 years and have not had 1 person sign. I have had many fence sitters and inquiries but none so far. It is not for lack of desire or information. I have also earned level 1 before.
Although I do Love PC for all it's products and opportunities it provides I am having a hard time with the recruiting push. As others have said it feels like it goes against the "your life your way" motto. All I can do is inform, it is ultimately not up to me if others feel that PC is a good fit for them.

ETA: I can see how some would see this as a negative post but I do not. I see it as opinion. I have seen good points made on both sides. My future is to be a director. It will happen for me when the time is right. I will continue to share the PC opportunity because I believe in it. When things like this happen it feels more "Corporate" I wnat PC to continue to feel like a "family".

Last edited:
I have read quite a few of the posts and I agree that there is a stronger focus on recruiting... or sharing the opportunity. I'm only 7 months into this and I think adding the recruiting part to the incentives is just to make sure we are doing our job. I know I haven't been as consistent as I should have been with sharing the opportunity... as a new consultant I wasn't comfortable asking people to join my team... (my TEAM?) - I barely know what I'm doing! But since my AD and my hospitality are both offering more training on recruiting (voluntary) I have realized that it is my responsibility to OFFER the opportunity and then my director can answer the questions that I can't. I know the focus has helped me understand the process better and the responsibility that I have to help others. Ultimately the bottom line for the company is to grow business... it is a business and that is what it is about but we do need to share how awesome this company is and if we also benefit in the process...

Your Life, Your WayYahoo Shawna! :)

The beautiful thing about PC is that EACH Consultant can CHOOSE how to run THEIR OWN business -- Anyone remember 'YOUR LIFE, YOUR WAY'?
If you CHOOSE to recruit, or NOT -- Do 2 or 10 Shows a month -- IT IS UP TO YOU! Recruiting DOES NOT go hand-in-hand with some peoples business AND THAT IS OK! - Run your PC biz the way YOU want because you are your OWN boss.........

.....we are ALL on here because WE LOVE PC - but, as Shawna said, may not ALWAY 100% agree with their choices/promos, etc. Why is that not ok to voice our opinion on this site? No body is BASHING PC by voicing an opinion (negative or not). We all know what 'bashing PC' is or could be - this thread is NOT bashing.......and not everyone's opinion is ALWAYS gonna be positive. Maybe there was a misunderstanding as far as the 'bashing' comment????

Everyone has different goals and agendas for their biz - it is YOUR biz, so run it the way YOU want. :cool:

Shawnna said:
Some people choose to see their glass half empy...its true. But, sharing their feelings with us does not make them a company basher. Each person knows what they are capable of. If someone reads that I don't feel I can recruit, and thinks if I can't then they can't, they have a problem with their own self-esteem. I don't base my goals or what I can do on anyone else.

People have just shared that they are unhappy that they can't reach an incentive without recruting. I don't think they were saying they can't recruit...just that they don't like the fact that they have to in order to achieve an incentive.

My point EXACTLY!

Thanks Shawna!

I don't see this thread as negative, it's a great way to get things out. Just because one person is a great recruiter doesn't mean the next person is. I agree, that's the reason why this company is great, you can do your business the way you want to. Doesn't mean everyone has to fit into the same form. It's like going to a group of people and selecting one person because you think she looks like a generic PC consultant. There is no one consultant out there. We can be women, men, young, old, moms, single, married, full time jobs, etc. I bet there is at least one person in your cluster that you could point out that you would have never thought they would be a consultant if you met them on the street.

Well said, Shawna!

As far as bashing PC...Sorry, I'm not gullible or naive enough to expect everything with every company to be perfect. I do, however, have the right to express my opinion. Ok, I'm going to stop there because the rest of what I was writing is sure to start a fight. lol

In any hierarchical organization, there's always about 10% on the top that is on fire for the cause. They see the company letterhead as valentine, the operation wonderful, everything the company does is just wonderful. The company can do nothing wrong.You have 30% that is always happy but never says much of anything. They just happily do their thing.45% are just there. They do what needs to be done, they get and read the magazine, whatever happens is just fine.The very bottom 5% is comprised of crooks, whiners, and jerks and you needn't really pay attention to them, they're just the bottom feeders that all always just there.The other 10% on the lower end are the ones who point out everything that is wrong. The shipping company is wrong. The prices are too high. The products are all wrong. The catalog looks awful. You roll your eyes when you see them coming because you just don't want to hear it.The Pollyannas in the top 10% say the bottom 10% is too negative, but the fact is, that 10% is just as on fire for the cause as the top 10%. You need to pay attention to them, because they see the problems that the Pollyannas will never see. Maybe the shipping company is wrong. (It is, isn't it? We seem to have proven that here.) Maybe the product line does need some revision. Maybe the catalog could be better. THIS 10% of the group is where the suggestions come from.So listen to them. Constructive criticism is not negativity. If you want negativity, go listen to the bottom 5% while the rest of us talk to the lower 10% of on fire for the cause people.

to be positive or to be negativeIf you are a person who has ALWAYS agreed 100% with HO or who can ALWAYS see the glass half-full - then good for you! (ps, I am envious of you)

Unfortunately, not every message on here is going to be positive. You know, I remember getting a few comments on here a few weeks ago from people saying 'not everyone is so happy-go-lucky' in response to ME being excited over my SAT products - HMMMMM.....I was positive then and was able to annoy people, now I am voicing my opinion in a not-so-positive manner and I am frustrating people. PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO SPEAK THEIR OPINION - the reality of ANY DS biz is that it will be a rollercoaster - and you can not expect to shelter your Team by only exposing them to 'positive' feedback - they are going to have frustrations in their biz - that is inevitable - so let them into the 'real' world.

This is such a fantastic board to have available to solve problems - good or bad! Positive or negative - just let people have a place to go to deal with problems that arise in their biz...................

I'm just watching this whole exchange and really don't have much to say because I am comfortable in my role with PC right now.I am a hobbyist borderline part-time once in awhile with 1 recruit that I give plenty of attention to and maybe there will be more in the future, maybe not. Who knows?If I didn't want to ever be a director or recruiter I am comfortable with the fact I can recruit and tell my director they are hers to care for and she will. However, with my recruit, I CHOOSE to take care of her and I have my ED's support.I guess I look at the incentives plan from a corporate side. They are INCENTIVES. The company doesn't have to offer them but chooses to so they have the right to tie whatever rules they want to them. If they tie recruiting to it, I may or may not make it but it makes me work on what the INCENTIVE is for.If I do a safety incentive at work and a rule is safety, I can CHOOSE as a worker not to go for the incentive or to go for it. It may or may not be an INCENTIVE to me personally. But, the company goal is safety so they are setting the plan for what they want.Get my drift? If you want a trip with PC but don't want to recruit. Sell away and save your commission. You still EARNED a trip! You worked hard for that money and can go where you want.P.S. KG - I do like your recruit and pass on concept. I really wish that could logically happen and be of benefit to consultants without become a "jumping director or upline" thing.

I'm glad somebody noticed. I think it's a viable solution to all of this but the idea just seems to have died without a thud.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm glad somebody noticed. I think it's a viable solution to all of this but the idea just seems to have died without a thud.

Have you ever submitted it to someone of consequence at HO and gotten any feedback on it?

I don't always agree 100% with anyone or anything. I am not a "pollyanna".

I have had many years in leadership and management roles - and I have seen over and over and over again how negative thinking impacts EVERYONE on a team. There is never a time that speaking negatively, or complaining, doesn't start to effect job performance and teamwork.

IF you have an issue with a policy, procedure, supplier, etc....it never does any good to complain or "discuss" sideways. The only way to find a solution to your problem is to talk to someone who can do something about it. Discussing it with peers only fuels a fire and also (as Marlene said) presents a negative viewpoint for new people.

Here is a link to a website and book that is excellent on this very subject:

The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy | by Jon Gordon

stefani2 said:
If you are a person who has ALWAYS agreed 100% with HO or who can ALWAYS see the glass half-full - then good for you! (ps, I am envious of you)

Unfortunately, not every message on here is going to be positive. You know, I remember getting a few comments on here a few weeks ago from people saying 'not everyone is so happy-go-lucky' in response to ME being excited over my SAT products - HMMMMM.....I was positive then and was able to annoy people, now I am voicing my opinion in a not-so-positive manner and I am frustrating people. PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO SPEAK THEIR OPINION - the reality of ANY DS biz is that it will be a rollercoaster - and you can not expect to shelter your Team by only exposing them to 'positive' feedback - they are going to have frustrations in their biz - that is inevitable - so let them into the 'real' world.

This is such a fantastic board to have available to solve problems - good or bad! Positive or negative - just let people have a place to go to deal with problems that arise in their biz...................

Not everyone is going to agree with every rule or incentive PC offers. That's why this thread isn't necessarily negative. The original poster was just trying to vent some frustration. I posted yesterday about being upset with hosts lately but ended the post by pulling my tail from between my legs and making an effort to change my business (since we cannot change our hosts!). I got a lot of positive comments and feedback. So instead of pulling the negativity card, try looking at the situation from the other person's side.

Coming here to vent frustration is just that...venting. If I vent and someone gives me some encouragement it might help me to see things differently. If someone jumps on me and tells me I am being negative and that I shouldn't be, blah, blah, blah, then my perspective doesn't change. I get more fired up because you are telling me I am wrong and you are right.

I can vent here and it helps me to calm down and then if I still feel the same way after someone gives me (nicely) an new perspective, then I might contact HO and voice my opinion or I might say it doesn't really matter in the long run. If I just contact HO immediately without venting here, I might do or say something I wouldn't normally do or say. I am happy to be a sounding board for anyone here. Most of the time all the poster needs is encouragement. So it does do good to vent to your peers.

First of all, KG, very nicely illustrated. That top 10% is what we used to call 'company men'.

As far as this being a negative thread and people shouldn't be on here complaining or whining as some put it, this site is where PC consultants feel comfortable being able to express their opinions and feelings. They know they can expect feedback or encouragement or just someone to validate those feelings. It's a good thing, I believe. If we didn't have this, we'd end up keeping those feelings inside and resentment or unhappiness would build. Our customers would see this and pick up on it. Very few people in this world are 100% satisfied 100% of the time. Just because we don't agree or like the way something is done, does not mean we're ready to throw up our hands and walk away. It also doesn't mean we're bashing the company.

As for discussing it with peers only fueling fires...most people do this to see if anyone else has the same opinion or if they're just being too sensitive. Just like the threads about FedEx. It was started to see if anyone else was having the same problem, not just to complain. If only one person contacts someone who can make changes, it's not very effective but if there are several or lots who feel the same way, it can be. There is power in numbers so don't discredit those who have opinions and voice them as just whiners and complainers. They're just the squeeky wheels that get things rolling. ;)

I wonder if HO has considered doing an exit poll of those 10-15,000 consultants who've left? I would think it would shed some insight on things, good or bad.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I noticed too. It's a great idea in some ways but some directors would try to talk a new consultant (for instance) into giving her the recruit because "you aren't ready" or some such reason. It's a sticky subject.

I have one recruit that was recruited by a downline who refused to sign him. She said she did not want a team and insisted I sign him. I tried to talk her out of it "what if down the line you change your mind" "I will still train him just the same"... She refused and he was fine with me signing him. If a consultant absolutely does not want to recruit (and I can not even start to understand why they wouldn't with the perks we get) they do have that option.

It's all about the ethics of people involved.

DS is a rollercoaster ride - ups and downsTelling your Team about this AMAZING WebSite is great because it provides support for their UPS and DOWNS which is the reality of ANY DS biz. I would feel mis-led to be under the impression that EVERYTHING with this biz is happy-happy. You are going to run into unpleasant experiences and HOW SAD that a New Consultant wouldn't have a place to turn to share their frustration (by NOT knowing about this WebSite).

For the Consultant's who are not ready to begin recruiting and who are not on-board with PC's Recruiting Promos - there is NOTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THAT!

I agree that this thread is not negative - it's people expressing concerns and not liking something.

KG your a very wise man................

And I do feel HO is pushing us to recruit, and no it's NOT my job to do so and NO I'm NOT going to. But when I joined PC I new I wouldn't be in it for the free trips, cars etc that DS companies offer for recruiting. Remember everyone "your business, your way" for those who don't want to recruit hold your heads high and continue doing what your doing. Enjoy the extra money and product!!!

And no I'm not bashing PC and yes I believe people should be able to vent and share there feelings.

u r doing NOTHING wrongThe ORIGINAL post was asking if others felt like PC has switched their FOCUS to recruiting - there is NOTHING negative about that.

People are stating that they are not ready to do that in their business - there is NOTHING negative about that, either.

I agree with you Jenna 100%:)

BethCooks4U said:
I noticed too. It's a great idea in some ways but some directors would try to talk a new consultant (for instance) into giving her the recruit because "you aren't ready" or some such reason. It's a sticky subject.

I have one recruit that was recruited by a downline who refused to sign him. She said she did not want a team and insisted I sign him. I tried to talk her out of it "what if down the line you change your mind" "I will still train him just the same"... She refused and he was fine with me signing him. If a consultant absolutely does not want to recruit (and I can not even start to understand why they wouldn't with the perks we get) they do have that option.

It's all about the ethics of people involved.
This is good news and bad news.

The good news is that I think it's an excellent idea to pass a recruit to someone who wants to recruit and wants to build a team.

The bad news is that the one who passed the recruit doesn't get any credit toward incentives. That just isn't right.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

I have told my new recruits at their first training that it is my job, as the Director, to train and teach....they can stay an FD forever as far as I am concerned! If they are inviting and I am training and answering questions, then we are all doing our jobs!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Here ya go. I just bumped The Acronym Thread for you.

Now you can find out what an Easy Accident Decorator is.

The Kitchen Guy:

You are very entertaining!! Like your sense of humor! :cool:

heather223 said:
WOW!! I have been proven wrong!! Sometimes we are tacky!!! LOL!!!! :chef:

:) Wow, this place is entertaining!!! What a great picture ... LOL :)

First off....Leggy---wow! Love the pic;)

Marlene---nice to "see" you! I hope any negativity you've seen hasn't completely ran you off. You always share great wisdom & insight; I hope to see you here more!

KG, I noticed your opinion also. That would be nice for those that don't want/aren't ready for a team, but still want the incentives.

And, I'm another consultant that really does try to recruit; but only since the past year have I really pursued directorship. I have been very actively trying to recruit. I signed my first in late Sept, & my second in Nov. Both are now going inactive:( I've got several other 'fence-sitters', but the time isn't right for them. They are still leads though; but just because I'm actively recruiting, I"m no director (yet).
I do believe that HO does have our best interests in mind; PC is a fabulous company:)

legacypc46 said:
I beg to differ...
tackyphoto1.jpg

I want you to know that I won the title of "Miss Tacky" that evening...it was a 'tacky party" (Thought this thread could use a little levity!)

What a great picture ... LOL :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
This is good news and bad news.

The good news is that I think it's an excellent idea to pass a recruit to someone who wants to recruit and wants to build a team.

The bad news is that the one who passed the recruit doesn't get any credit toward incentives. That just isn't right.
I did give that recruiter 25 catalogs. She was no where near to on track for any trip (it was in the fall) so the only thing she really lost is that if she changes her mind she will have to recruit 5. She'd probably have to do that anyway since he's in and out of being active.

If she was anywhere near earning a trip I would have forced her to sign him! And I DID point all the positives of HER doing the signing MANY times. lol

legacypc46 said:
I beg to differ...
tackyphoto1.jpg

I want you to know that I won the title of "Miss Tacky" that evening...it was a 'tacky party" (Thought this thread could use a little levity!)
This is exactly how I pictured you, Leggy! :p

Real world?Community? One thing I find funny about this community is that when someone does share a different point of view, everyone jumps on the bandwagon of why that person is wrong. You all chime up saying that you want to express your opinions, and that is fine...but allow me mine as well please.

You see, like I said in all my posts, these are just my opinions. I did not mean for anyone to take offense and yes, I personally do see a lot of these posts as negative. The first post was great, but everyone jumps on the bandwagon of "yes, I agree this is aweful because....." And of course I am generalizing, but not in many posts do I see helpful insight of how this thread is helping.?. And when someone does put in an insightful comment it doesn't seem to get good attention. Like Becky's , Colleen's and Jae's comments for a few.

AND I LOVE Keri Lyn's post comparing this to other jobs. You go girl!!:D Not everyone is going to be able to earn everything. If you are a hobbiest, that is fine, if you are a part timer that is fine....The Pampered Chef has decided to STEP UP the requirements for incentives, trying to help all of us STEP UP with them.

As I was always taught with a business like this, you never complain down the chain or across the chain, you always go up the chain. So, if you are disgruntled or unhappy about the new recruiting requirements, go to your director, your Executive and Home Office. These are the people that can make changes or tell you why the Home Office does what they do.

stefani2 said:
so let them into the 'real' world.

Hmmm... real world??? :grumpy: What is that supposed to mean, really? Is the real world how I was at a point in my business this year where I almost quit because life was throwing too much at me? (Death of best friend in mining accident and my mother-in-law in ICU almost dying) Or is the real world how I share this experience with my team and tell them that there will be highs and lows and without my team I wouldn't have made it through this low. Because of this low (lowest in 5 years) I needed over 19,000 points December 1st to earn Level 4. Did I quit? Nope I showed my team that you can do anything you want to put your mind to. And they all expect a gifr from London~;) :D .

Just so you all know, I am not a fabulous recruiter, my strong point has always been my personnal sales. It took me 2 years to promote to Director, but each year I get better and better at recruiting. It is something that if you don't have the skill when you start, you can learn the skill. This year I am on track for TPC in recruiting. But most exciting is that I have a team that loves what they do. AND yes, they do LIVE IN THE REAL WORLD.:)

So, please if you preach to allow others their opinions, please allow all opinions, not just the ones you agree with. Thanks!:angel:

Hi Lacy! Good to see you too!!

Hi Beth, thanks to your email I got into this discussion! After you emailed me about Chef Success, I thought hmmmm I will go see how it is going...:p ;)

Last edited:
clarifyingWhat I meant by the 'real world' is acknowledging that there are ups and downs in this biz - things you will agree with and not agree with - some unpleasant and some amazing situation - some positive and some negative-- that is life in DS (including PC). Life is not always positive - that to me is my defination of 'the real world'.

To not notify your Team of CS because of this 'negative' post I feel like you are letting the odd 'venting' or 'negative' thread to over-ride the THOUSANDS of positive threads! This Website has SAVED a lot of ppls biz because of the amazing support system, great ideas, etc,. etc,.

IMO, it should be up to a Consultant if they CHOOSE to recruit or not. It should NOT be expected to go hand-in-hand with the rest of the biz.

Everyone's opinions are valued here. But it would be nice that if I don't agree with someone's opinion I don't tell them they are all wrong and negative and company bashing. A better approach would be "I don't see it that way and this is why I disagree" or "this is my take on the situation".

When I am having a problem I vent to my best girlfriend. She listens and then if she thinks I am looking at the situation wrong, she tells me in a nice way how she sees it and why she looks at it differently...and I do the same for her. She doesn't say "well that is just stupid. You are wrong and have no right to feel that way". After our discussion we have either helped each other or agree to disagree. And that is the way it should be here.

It seems that some people want to tell others that they are wrong for being upset or discouraged or whatever, but don't like it when someone else points out that they are not helping the situation...that the person just wants someone to listen to them.

How many times have you come home from work and vented to your spouse about something? If he/she just listens and lets us vent we generally feel better to just get it off our chest. We don't want them to fix the situation, we don't want them to agree with us, and we don't want them to disagree with us. We just want them to listen. Most of the time when we are finished venting and have had time to think we begin to see things in a different light....we may still not agree with it, but we may begin to see how we can make it work for us.

I have never said you shouldn't be able to voice you opinion...good or bad...I am just saying that just because you don't agree or think what I say is negative doesn't mean that you should say "you're wrong, you're negative, you're bashing PC". There are better ways to say things when you disagree with someone.

And, I am using myself for the example because I am not in a position to earn any level because I am very part-time. So, I can see both sides of this issue. I understand why HO is pushing to recruit...lost revenue from lost consultants, want more revenue because we are a corporation and that means money, money, money. But, I also see that for people who work hard at sales to reach level 1 and then don't earn it because they have not been able to recruit anyone, it can feel like a big letdown. What if your sales were enough for level 2 but you didn't recruit and someone else barely reaches sales for level 1 but have a recruit...maybe a last minute recruit...the way it is that 1st level person seems more important than your huge sales. And I realize that is a stretch to be a good example. PC has the right to give incentives however they want, its their company. We have the right to agree or disagree. We have the right to shift our focus along with the company or just keep doing what we are doing...or quit. Nobody is right or wrong. Noone's opinion is more important than any other.

legacypc46 said:
I beg to differ...
tackyphoto1.jpg

Leggy - You are adorable!

My husband rolled his eyes when I posted that photo (he's secretly mortified I think). I was supposed to be pregnant, but the pillow kept sliding done. Just a bunch of gals being silly. :)

legacypc46 said:
My husband rolled his eyes when I posted that photo (he's secretly mortified I think). I was supposed to be pregnant, but the pillow kept sliding done. Just a bunch of gals being silly. :)

Hey, just tell them you were about to give birth...baby dropping...

janetupnorth said:
Hey, just tell them you were about to give birth...baby dropping...

LOL!! :D

don't you just love when the computer tells you your message is too short and you have to add something, even though your original message says it all? :rolleyes:

stefani2 said:
The ORIGINAL post was asking if others felt like PC has switched their FOCUS to recruiting - there is NOTHING negative about that.
People are stating that they are not ready to do that in their business - there is NOTHING negative about that, either.

Thank you Jenna. I can't believe the can of worms I opened up! I really wasn't complaining or whining, it was just that I have been feeling that the focus was shifting and that I am not comfortable with that. Everyone has hers or his goals and recruiting CAN be a part of that. I am not against recruiting in the least and I have a great Director who is wonderful at it and never applies any pressure to me. My reasons for joining PC were because I wanted to help my family financially, earn some great products, and move out of my comfort zone and grow personally. If someone wanted to join me along the way, great, but I wasn't going to be someone who asked everyone at every show. I certainly make mention of it and offer literature because it is part of the job. But it really is up to me how much of my job I make it.
Jessica

I have the same opinion as many of you. I think HO is pushing recruiting a lot. I didn't have a problem with it at first because of the time I've been in the business. I am ready to move to the next level, but I did and have started to worry about the new recruits. I'm not sure how I would have perceived this push when I first started with the business. After all our perception is our reality. Thus the push for recruiting is going to be perceived so many different ways as illustrated in everyone's post here.

Even though I was concerned about the push, I wasn't upset about it until it has now become part of the incentive package. Especially as others have mentioned for level one.

After being in the business for 3 years I feel like I'm finally getting to the business level to reach an incentive and then they make it harder. It does get discouraging. I have the personality to continue striving to get better, but I can see where a lot of people would just see it as unatainable and give up. I think this is a mistake for the business, but then I'm not sitting on the Executive Board. Maybe I can't see the "Big Picture."

I agree with what someone else said, they do need to look at "why" they are losing so many consultants. I have mentioned before how my old director quit. She did get discouraged w/the company because of the incentives getting harder. She always would tell me, we used to get so much more stuff. She would also say how it was better before Doris sold it. I think the perks are part of the reason people like doing direct sales. A perk makes you happy (like receiving flowers from your hubby:)! I know I'm more likely to tell people about the company when I'm earning perks. I'll tell a friend, family member, co-worker how I just received a box from the Pampered Chef with over $100 in products. I'll tell them it's like Christmas all over again. This gives me more opportunity to recruit. If I'm not earning the perks, I may not be as likely to discuss the business.

By HO adding the recruting requirement to the incentive packages, I get the feeling the recruiting push has not been working so far. Just by the way my cluster has dropped since I first joined, I figured the total consultant number was dropping, but I never heard the total number before until the post above. How do we find out the total consultant number?

I still love the Pampered Chef. I'm in it for a minimum of 5 years whether I earn a trip or not. This was the committment I gave to myself when I first started the business. It keeps me going!

Last edited:
Nice post Rhonda, very well said.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
wrote (gently snipped)

I think there is a way to make this work, though. I'd like to see a way for someone to recruit and earn the perks that go with it, but then have the ability to pass the recruit to a director who loves to be a manager. The result could be a win-win deal for the recruiter, the director and the company, but more importantly, to the recruit.

Just my viewpoint.

My viewpoint too. Thanks, Kitchen Guy.

FWIW, I do not want to supervise/ direct, hold group meetings, etc. Have supervised for decades in the corporate world, and it no longer appeals for several reasons.

I love PC products, but am not happy with this push for recruitment. Did not speak up until now, because I am especially annoyed having to recruit to earn trips, etc. I do offer the opportunity.

The situation has made me rethink if I should continue or hang up my apron.

Sadly,

I think the idea of giving yourself 5 years is excellent. I think it can really give you a fair opportunity. I know a bunch af ladies who joined when I did or later that have already thrown in the apron, if you will. I would love to know why. As a friend who had been with another DS company said, the expectations given to her were not something she could live up to. I think it's very important to have goals, but I think they need to be attainable given your situation. One of the ladies was told she could make $500 a month and she was thrilled. Yes I think this is attainable, but for her situation, maybe not-full-time job, a young child, and a husband. I'm just guessing, but when was she going to spend time with her child if she was doing 8 shows a month? I know that's a bit off topic, but some have wondered why the new focus.

BTW, after I left this thread last night, I got an e-mail from my Director about an offer to do intense training with our speaker from the Conference to help promote to director. It only went to five of us in the cluster and I am very flattered, but it is just not where I am right now. My goal is to fill up the calander consistently. I actually did get on the phone these past two nights and booked two catty shows, so I hope to be headed in the right direction! And just so you know, I actually do have a recruit lead that I would be happy to help along. I realize that it is truly all about her and if some points or a gift card should come my way, that's great, but she has to be ready to take the plunge!
Jessica

ChefJoyJ said:
LOL!! :D

don't you just love when the computer tells you your message is too short and you have to add something, even though your original message says it all? :rolleyes:
Yeah.

rzzllbrzt minimums

CookingwithMary said:
My viewpoint too. Thanks, Kitchen Guy.

FWIW, I do not want to supervise/ direct, hold group meetings, etc. Have supervised for decades in the corporate world, and it no longer appeals for several reasons.

I love PC products, but am not happy with this push for recruitment. Did not speak up until now, because I am especially annoyed having to recruit to earn trips, etc. I do offer the opportunity.

The situation has made me rethink if I should continue or hang up my apron.

Sadly,
You, at least, posted your feelings. How many more people are there out there who will not bother to post their feelings? How many of those will just quietly go away? Without an exit interview, how does HO have any idea why they're losing recruits as fast as they get them?

This is just like banks - if they spent half as much money on keeping existing customers happy as they spend on marketing to get new customers, they wouldn't have to spend so much time marketing to get new ones.

Why is that such a difficult concept for corporate managers to understand?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
This is just like banks - if they spent half as much money on keeping existing customers happy as they spend on marketing to get new customers, they wouldn't have to spend so much time marketing to get new ones.

Why is that such a difficult concept for corporate managers to understand?

Great point. A lot of folks leave the business because of factors outside PC's control....but it would be worth surverying to find out the 'why' for the others. A lot of us are drawn to PC because of the value system it was founded on. I don't mind helping the company grow (in fact, I'm happy to :angel: ), but I wish they would market the whole recruiting campaign differently. I would prefer they ask me to help grow the company, than trying to appeal to the 'what's in it for me' factor. People do amazing things when asked to support something they believe in.

legacypc46 said:
Great point. A lot of folks leave the business because of factors outside PC's control....but it would be worth surverying to find out the 'why' for the others. A lot of us are drawn to PC because of the value system it was founded on. I don't mind helping the company grow (in fact, I'm happy to :angel: ), but I wish they would market the whole recruiting campaign differently. I would prefer they ask me to help grow the company, than trying to appeal to the 'what's in it for me' factor. People do amazing things when asked to support something they believe in.
Send those comments to HO.

<h2>1. Why is there so much emphasis on recruitment in the direct sales industry?</h2><p>In the direct sales industry, recruitment is seen as a way to build a strong team and advance in the company. It is also a way to increase sales and reach a larger customer base. Many companies place a lot of emphasis on recruitment because it is a key factor in the success of the business.</p><h2>2. Has there been an increase in the focus on recruitment in the past year?</h2><p>Yes, there has been a noticeable increase in the focus on recruitment in the past year. This could be due to the growing popularity of direct sales and the competition among companies to recruit top-performing consultants. Additionally, with the rise of social media and online marketing, it has become easier for companies to reach potential recruits.</p><h2>3. What is the main reason for joining a direct sales company?</h2><p>The main reason for joining a direct sales company varies for each individual. However, many people are drawn to direct sales because of the opportunity to sell and promote products they are passionate about, as well as the potential to earn income and build a successful business. Recruitment is also a factor for those who are interested in building a team and advancing in the company.</p><h2>4. How do recruitment requirements affect consultants' goals?</h2><p>Recruitment requirements can affect consultants' goals in different ways. For some, it may provide motivation to build their team and achieve higher levels in the company. However, for others who may not feel comfortable with recruitment or prefer to focus on other aspects of their business, it can be a source of added pressure and may divert their attention away from their original goals.</p><h2>5. What are your thoughts on the shift in focus towards recruitment?</h2><p>As a consultant, it is understandable that you may have mixed feelings about the shift in focus towards recruitment. While it can be beneficial for the growth of the company and individual consultants, it can also be overwhelming and may take away from the original emphasis on promoting and selling products. It is important to find a balance and focus on what works best for you and your business goals.</p>

1. Why is there so much emphasis on recruitment in the direct sales industry?

In the direct sales industry, recruitment is seen as a way to build a strong team and advance in the company. It is also a way to increase sales and reach a larger customer base. Many companies place a lot of emphasis on recruitment because it is a key factor in the success of the business.

2. Has there been an increase in the focus on recruitment in the past year?

Yes, there has been a noticeable increase in the focus on recruitment in the past year. This could be due to the growing popularity of direct sales and the competition among companies to recruit top-performing consultants. Additionally, with the rise of social media and online marketing, it has become easier for companies to reach potential recruits.

3. What is the main reason for joining a direct sales company?

The main reason for joining a direct sales company varies for each individual. However, many people are drawn to direct sales because of the opportunity to sell and promote products they are passionate about, as well as the potential to earn income and build a successful business. Recruitment is also a factor for those who are interested in building a team and advancing in the company.

4. How do recruitment requirements affect consultants' goals?

Recruitment requirements can affect consultants' goals in different ways. For some, it may provide motivation to build their team and achieve higher levels in the company. However, for others who may not feel comfortable with recruitment or prefer to focus on other aspects of their business, it can be a source of added pressure and may divert their attention away from their original goals.

5. What are your thoughts on the shift in focus towards recruitment?

As a consultant, it is understandable that you may have mixed feelings about the shift in focus towards recruitment. While it can be beneficial for the growth of the company and individual consultants, it can also be overwhelming and may take away from the original emphasis on promoting and selling products. It is important to find a balance and focus on what works best for you and your business goals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
Replies
Views
Hunter Mom
  • MaddyandOwensMom
  • General Chat