• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Stoneware Too Heavy for Cooking?

In summary, the conversation involved a consultant who had her first Pampered Chef show and encountered a lady who commented on the weight of the stoneware. The consultant responded by highlighting the benefits of stoneware and mentioning that there are lighter options available. Other consultants shared their experiences and tips for handling similar situations. Overall, the consensus was that stoneware is a great product, but it may not be suitable for everyone due to its weight. Some suggestions included using the wire rack or smaller stoneware pieces, and reminding customers of the return policy if they are not satisfied.
jsfergs
This is my first post and last night was my first show. Yea - I'm so excited to be a part of Pampered Chef. This site is awesome.

Anyway, last night at my show a lady mentioned she didn't like to use her stoneware because it is too heavy. Have any of you ever gotten that comment before? And if so how do you respond? :confused: I just said that although it is heavier it cooks much better because it heats evenly instead of heating from the outside in like metal pans.

Still I'm deeming the show a success. Right now the show is at $250 in sales with one booking. And, that's for 5 people. I'm still waiting on a couple of outside orders too. :)

Thanks for your help!

Sara
Independent Consultant

Last edited:
Hi Sara,

I think that you handled it great, giving the benefits for stoneware. As a matter of fact, I have heard this exact comment from my own MIL. There isn't a whole lot that you can do. Just give the benefits and people will decide for themselves what they like.

I just remember - it's lighter than cast iron! :)

Congrats on your first show! That's the hardest, now you are on a roll!!!

Jaye

I always mention that it is heavier and let people try it. I don't lie b/c I know a lot of older women that can not use it d/t athritis and other conditions. I figure there are two types of people, those that love stoneware and those that don't, but you never know until you try!! My grandmother has some and she can not get it out on her own so my grandpa helps her. One woman w/ really bad athritis sold me all her used stoneware dirt cheap and it was already seasoned. Although I was sad she couldn't use it anymore (and she loved it) I was happy to get it. So yes it can be heavy to some people. The wire rack helps make it lighter as well. So if you are selling the pizza stone make sure to mention how it makes it easier to handel.

Thanks for your help! Cast Iron - too funny! :D

Sara
Independent Consultant

Congratulations!!First Congratulations on a successful show! You handled the situation like a pro!! Even veteran PC chefs have some questions and situations thrown at them that they never expected.
I have heard that comment before and yes it is usually from older women, so I tell them the benefits of stoneware and let them know that there are smaller pieces available that are not so heavy but still give the great benefits of stoneware. I tell them that a metal cookie sheet might be light or any other aluminum pan but the performance will never match that of stoneware.

I show them the Small Bar Pan, the Small Round Stone, Small Oval Baker, Mini Baker, and the square baker.

Debbie :D

Some of the pieces are REALLY heavy! But, you are right about cast iron!

My mom says the same thing. She complains about the Simple Additions being too heavy, too. I just tell her that she can cut her workout short that day! It's good for you!

DebbieSAChef said:
I show them the Small Bar Pan, the Small Round Stone, Small Oval Baker, Mini Baker, and the square baker.

Debbie :D

GREAT ideas Debbie - I will have to keep thes in mind for my "well seasoned" cooks :)

I heard the same thing at my last show. I told her about the rack for the large round stone. I also told her the only one that I have trouble with is the large bar pan and I usually only use it when hubby is home anyway (he loves his French fries baked on the stone) so he can help me get it out of the oven if need be. I really hate it that it turns some women off because I love my stones.

Thanks for the tips everybody! :)

Sara
Independent Consultant

I also tell people that if for any reason they are unhappy with the products for whatever reason they can return it to PC.

Before I became a consultant I wouldn't even touch the stoneware because I too thought it was very heavy. Once I decided to join PC I knew that I couldn't lie about it so I went to my mom's house and borrowed about 5 pieces from her (my aunt used to sell PC so my mom has all the stoneware). I practiced all sorts of recipes with it and found out what I'd been missing out on all these years! I am now a stonware junkie and cook with it as much as possible!

I'd try to get all your customers who oppose the stoneware to try the smaller pieces, maybe they'll be a convert like me:)

I have had a few customers say that it's heavy, I let them know yes it is heavy but that means it is rather good quality. I had someone say at my last shwo that she had a piece of stoneware from another company, that it is not as heavy as ours.. and she prefers ours over the other companies.

This is a great topic because my host on Nov. 28 has said she can't use the stoneware because it's so heavy. I'll be sure to point out the superior quality and the rack, and the smaller pieces.

Kris

Related to Is Stoneware Too Heavy for Cooking?

1. How do I prevent my stoneware from feeling too heavy?

One way to prevent your stoneware from feeling too heavy is to properly season it before use. This involves rubbing vegetable oil on the surface and baking it in the oven. This will create a non-stick coating and make it easier to handle.

2. Can I use stoneware in the microwave?

Yes, our stoneware is safe to use in the microwave. However, it is important to note that stoneware retains heat very well, so be cautious when removing it from the microwave and use oven mitts.

3. How do I clean my stoneware?

To clean your stoneware, simply use hot water and a nylon scraper or brush. Avoid using soap, as it can absorb into the stoneware and affect the taste of your food. Do not use harsh abrasives or put it in the dishwasher.

4. Why is my stoneware cracking?

Stoneware can crack if there is a sudden change in temperature, such as placing it in a hot oven after it has been chilled in the refrigerator. It is important to allow your stoneware to come to room temperature before exposing it to extreme temperatures.

5. Can I use metal utensils on my stoneware?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on stoneware as they can scratch or damage the surface. It is best to use nylon, silicone, or wooden utensils to protect the stoneware and ensure its longevity.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • msunn1973
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
BeckyC5830
  • lisasfuncooking