• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Metal Muffin Pan Cooks Too Dark!

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's struggle with their oven's temperature, causing their baked goods to come out too dark, especially when using their preferred metal muffin pans. They discuss possible solutions, such as getting a new stove or using an oven thermometer, and also mention the benefits of using stoneware pans. They also share personal experiences with their own ovens and how they have had to adjust their cooking methods.
scottcooks
Gold Member
My bride is an awesome bread baker. She was reserve grand champ with 4H in high school. She likes our PC metal muffin pans, but EVERYTHING she makes in them is too dark. (She insists she does turn down the heat)

Blueberry muffins in wrappers? perfect on top, dark dark brown on the bottom and 1/2 inch up the side.

Dinner rolls? Made great dough in the bread machine, right color on top, TOO dark on the bottom.

Our oven does run hot - but what else can we do? Bag it and use the stoneware Muffin Pan?

I pitched the NordicWare ones we used to have - maybe I'm going to the cooking store :(

When I evacuated Japan & moved to TX, I didn't have a stove. My in-laws came up with a donated one and I think the thermostat is broken in it. Everything tries to burn, including things I put on the stones. My advice, get a stove that works right! ;)

Sheila said:
When I evacuated Japan & moved to TX, I didn't have a stove. My in-laws came up with a donated one and I think the thermostat is broken in it. Everything tries to burn, including things I put on the stones. My advice, get a stove that works right! ;)

Agree with this. When I got my new stove, I was AMAZED at how much better everything baked, and without having to worry about the temp, ever.

I told my husband that I was a better cook than he even realized because I'd been able to create meals and baked goods in that oven for so long!

Until you can get a new stove, try an oven thermometer. Shiny metal bakes darker than other pans.

An oven thermometer should be in the middle of the oven, not near the sides.

Is the heat source in the oven at the bottom because it sounds like the rack your wife is using is too close to the bottom if that's where the heat source is. Maybe move the rack up?

My old oven was horrible. I realized I had to let it preheat at least 20 minutes. It would get up to temp then go way over and come back down. If I put things in too early, they would then get the high heat as it continued to overheat before cooling down. It was a joy to get a new oven that took less than 5 minutes to preheat.

Our oven was new when we built this house and is pretty accurate with it's temps. and I also notice what Scott is talking about. I love the MMP, but when making bread/muffin types of things they are always dark where they were in contact w/ the pan. I adjust the temp. as recommended and shorten the cooking time, but this is still an issue with me. I really love the stoneware and sometimes wish we had a mini muffin stone. ;)

1. Why does my metal muffin pan always cook too dark?

There could be several reasons why your metal muffin pan is cooking too dark. One common reason is that your oven may be too hot. We recommend using an oven thermometer to ensure that your oven is at the correct temperature. Another possibility is that your muffin pan may be too close to the heating element in your oven. Try moving the pan to a lower rack or using a baking sheet underneath the pan for insulation.

2. Can I use a different type of pan for baking muffins?

Yes, you can use a different type of pan for baking muffins, such as a silicone or non-stick pan. However, keep in mind that different types of pans may require different baking times and temperatures. We recommend following the recipe instructions and adjusting as needed based on the type of pan you are using.

3. How can I prevent my muffins from sticking to the metal pan?

To prevent sticking, we recommend greasing your metal muffin pan with butter, oil, or non-stick cooking spray before adding the batter. Another tip is to let the muffins cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing them. This will allow them to set and come out more easily.

4. Are metal muffin pans safe to use in the oven?

Yes, metal muffin pans are safe to use in the oven. They are specifically designed for baking and can withstand high temperatures. However, be sure to follow all safety precautions and handle the pan with oven mitts when removing it from the oven.

5. Can I use my metal muffin pan for anything other than muffins?

Yes, metal muffin pans can be used for a variety of baked goods, such as cupcakes, mini quiches, and individual portions of casseroles. You can also use them for non-baking purposes, such as making homemade soaps or bath bombs. Just make sure to clean the pan thoroughly before switching between food and non-food items.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sklay723
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
JennLizFran
  • kewaters
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kewaters
Replies