• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is It Harmful For Your Oven Rack If Your Stoneware Scratches It?

In summary, it is not clear if the scratched rack is a problem or not. There may be some reasons why it is scratched, but it is not clear if they are significant. It is possible that the foil cover may help to protect the rack from damage, but it is unknown if this is the case. If the customer is concerned about the scratched rack, then the e-mail should include information about how to clean the rack.
babywings76
Gold Member
I did a CCC today and my customer said she was wondering if it's bad that her stone is scratching her oven rack. I never thought about it before. But mine has scratched off some of the surface of my oven rack, too. It's from pushing the stone back further on the rack after I set it down. I know to be careful on countertops and smooth surfaces, and glass top stoves, but do we need to be careful in the oven as well?

Hmmm, does it matter? (not trying to be smart alecky - I just really can't think why it would matter with an oven rack?)

I had the same thought. No one will see it & it doesn't affect how the oven cooks.

Those that it bothers are those that are a_al. :) For sure not me. I have scratched my nice gas burner cover thingys b/c I keep forgeting when I take the stone out. One of these days I will be buying replacements. :(

I know I personally don't care that it's doing it. But I felt bad that she noticed it and was concerned. Is it a protective layer on the rack to help it be cleaned easily? Maybe she is concerned about being able to have a clean oven? She did ask me how much spatter occurs when you bake the bacon in the oven. ;)

MG I have a customer that covers her racks with aluminum foil & when that gets dirty she puts a new cover of foil on - NEVER heard of that before. Maybe foil in the bottom but not on each rack.

That's what my customer was thinking of doing! :)

I have silver or stainless steel looking oven racks- I wouldn't know if they were scratched or not. LOL...it's the oven - I could care less...now scratch my glass top and we've got other issues...however I am not worried about the racks inside. Maybe when I buy my new $4000 Viking Range when I'm wealthier I'll worry, but for now my cute little $900 Frigadaire glass top Electrolux model is just fine!

Kitchen Diva said:
I have silver or stainless steel looking oven racks- I wouldn't know if they were scratched or not. LOL...it's the oven - I could care less...now scratch my glass top and we've got other issues...however I am not worried about the racks inside. Maybe when I buy my new $4000 Viking Range when I'm wealthier I'll worry, but for now my cute little $900 Frigadaire glass top Electrolux model is just fine!

NAH - those things are made for institutional use, and you can't do anything to hurt them.....but I have cooked on them alot, and they aren't all that great.....just very solid. You have to bend really low to check in the oven, and it's hard to pull stuff out of the oven. The burner grates are super heavy, and they are hard to clean. Oh - and the ovens aren't self cleaning, so it's a lot of work to clean those too. You're better off with your Frigidaire....unless you are wanting to cook for 100 people a day!:D

kaseydee said:
MG I have a customer that covers her racks with aluminum foil & when that gets dirty she puts a new cover of foil on - NEVER heard of that before. Maybe foil in the bottom but not on each rack.
i was told that when using a stone pan, your recipe won't come out great if there is foil on the bottom of the oven. And, it's an oven!! it's supposed to get used and dirty.

I told her that I'd be sending her an e-mail with some recipes and any information I find out about the rack situation. What do you think I should say? I've got the recipes all set, now to figure out how to say "don't worry about it!"

I typed up an e-mail but didn't send it yet. I'm not sure how to respond to her question. I guess I'm wondering if she's upset that the stone scratched her rack or if she is just curious if having a scratched rack is bad. How would you respond if someone asked you this? I need ideas in wording.

What is stoneware and why is it used for cooking?

Stoneware is a type of ceramic material that is fired at a high temperature, making it very durable. It is used for cooking because it can withstand high heat and distributes it evenly, resulting in perfectly cooked food.

Will stoneware scratch my oven rack?

Stoneware is typically safe to use in ovens, but it can scratch your oven rack if it is not handled properly. It is important to avoid sliding stoneware across the rack and to always use oven mitts or potholders when handling hot stoneware.

How can I prevent scratches on my oven rack when using stoneware?

To prevent scratches on your oven rack, always place stoneware gently on the rack and avoid dragging it. You can also use a layer of parchment paper or aluminum foil between the stoneware and the rack to prevent direct contact.

Can scratches on my oven rack affect the performance of my stoneware?

Scratches on your oven rack should not affect the performance of your stoneware. However, it is important to regularly check for any deep scratches or cracks on your stoneware, as these can compromise its durability and cooking abilities.

Can I still use my stoneware if it has scratched my oven rack?

If your stoneware has caused scratches on your oven rack, it is still safe to use. However, it is recommended to inspect your stoneware for any damage and to use a protective layer between the stoneware and the rack to prevent further scratches.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • kcjodih
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Denarella
  • jesusluvsu2005