• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is it common for corporations to have policies against direct sales companies?

In summary, most companies have a policy against direct sales, although this may change depending on the company. Some employees have been successful in getting around the policy by using indirect methods such as passing out flyers or giving away samples.
augmommychef
Silver Member
Let me preface this by saying that I have a super supportive husband who encourages me in all of my PC endeavors. He helps me prep for my shows and makes sure to come home early to take care of the kiddo so I can get to my shows on time. However, I have asked him nicely several times to leave a catalog in his break room just for his coworkers to browse through during lunch time. He refuses to do so because he doesn't think it is "kosher" and he says it is against company policy to advertise these types of direct sales companies. He works for a very large software company. My question is: is this common for corporations? When I worked at a corporation, I was never familiar with direct sales companies so I never really knew the policies surrounding it. What has your experience been? I can't quite tell if he is telling the truth...

I work at Staples and we have a "no solicitation" on the front door/window. Although that is there, I think it is really up to the management of the store or company because my boss thinks Pampered Chef is great and could care less if I sold it to my coworkers.I've even recruited one of my coworkers. His theory is: as long as work gets done he doesn't care. On the other hand the manager before him was so into company policy that we couldn't do anything of the sort nor would we have EVEN asked him. (I didn't like him much...I was glad to see him fired)I'm supposing that your husband's work may just be picky about that kind of stuff...

Last edited:
My DH is absolutely not allowed to leave a catalog in his break room, either (also a large company). The employees get e-mails regularly saying it is against policy, as is any fundraising (Girl Scout cookies, pizzas, etc.). So I think he's telling the truth.;)

My hubby worked for a huge worldwide known company for years and there was a big policy against that. I think he's telling the truth.

He told me it was because they didn't want the union soliciting, so no one can solicite anything.

Most companies I have worked for have a no-solicitation policy. Currently my day job (a large corporation) revisted the policy, and continued it. For both labor and management, it is a relief not to feel obligated to support the many requests and 'opportunities' presented.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your input! I guess I've heard so many stories of husbands helping their wives out by spreading the word at their work that I thought it wouldn't hurt if he did too! Ok, off to let husband out of the doghouse!

I have asked my DH to leave a catalog in the communications office of the sheriff's department (he's a road deputy). I know there are some very nice people who work there, and basically the way I see it is that if they're interested, they'll contact me via the info on the back. If they aren't interested, I'm only out one catalog. He still won't do it...doesn't want to make people think we're "out for their money" or whatever (which is funny, because I'm possibly the lowest-pressure salesperson out there!). I haven't pushed him on it because it's his job, and I don't want to put him in an awkward position with the people he works so closely with. It's funny though...he's mentioned my consultant status to several of them in conversation, he just won't take a catalog with him.

The company I used to work for had to put a policy into place because so many people were passing around catalogs for parties, selling Avon during non break times, etc. Noboby really still followed it but if he doesn't want to get in trouble or be the straw that broke the camel's back, I don't blame him.

My dh is supportive too but he will not take a catalog into work or even keep one in his car. If someone asks him for a catalog he will take it in the next day for them but he will not let ME follow up. "If they want something they will call." lol So far no calls. He absolutely does not want my business to mix with his - they do have the no solicition policy there too.

One thing he did do was take one of our new Pastry Mats in for a desk pad (he said it's a great surface to write on). Problem is people kept telling him it looked like a target so he turned it over and now you can't see the logo - but there is the chance someone would say "where'd you get the mat".

My DH won't "advertise" my business at work, either. He is in management and even though I don't think they have a policy AGAINST it, he doesn't want to ever make others feel like they are obligated. I totally understand where he is coming from. He is in a professional position and his actions need to reflect that. Now, people DO know me in there...so some approach HIM for my info or a new catty! When that happens, he has no problem taking them a catty...

My DH works for a huge cabinet company called Kraftmaid. He is not allowed to leave my cattys anywhere but he carries them with him and then he has them when someone asks for one. In those types of settings word of mouth is your best friend. People see others looking at them and ask to look to or ask where they got it. I've had quite a bit of business this way... Now if only I could get him to carry a catalog tote! LOL!

My husband would not take a catalog to work either! Your doing better then me my husband doesn't think this will last more then six months. Not because I'm doing it just the whole "home show thing". Like I told him even if it does only work for six months its six months of paying down bills!!! Heck I made back the money for my kit in my first show. I have faith in myself and feel its going to last as long as I want it to!!!! :love:

dianevill said:
My DH is absolutely not allowed to leave a catalog in his break room, either (also a large company). The employees get e-mails regularly saying it is against policy, as is any fundraising (Girl Scout cookies, pizzas, etc.). So I think he's telling the truth.;)

Same deal at the hospital I used to work at. Not even funraisers for the kids.

KellyTheChef said:
My DH won't "advertise" my business at work, either. He is in management and even though I don't think they have a policy AGAINST it, he doesn't want to ever make others feel like they are obligated. I totally understand where he is coming from. He is in a professional position and his actions need to reflect that. has no problem ...

Same thing here. My husband let people know, took a couple of catalogues, but said that if I contacted anyone, it would be like "coersion" because he is a superior to several peole. I even did a fundraiser there (or tried) and was not allowed to follow up with anyone. What a disaster! So even though several of the women there are getting married, I don't even bother. They know I do it and if anyone is interested they will let me know.
Jessica

My hubby works for a large bank and I don't know if they have this policy or not but he is working on his 2nd catty show right now! I wonder if it is against policy and he just doesn't know about it. He came home one night and said... I think it is time for me to take more catty's to work and get orders - people are asking for books. :)

My mother did a catalog show at her work (federal gov't) and since they have sent out an email stating that none of that is allowed even on their break time.

Both my wife and I work for large companys and both of them have "no solicitation rules". In general it is a good rule because before they had it in place it sort of got out of hand. Every week someone was hitting you up for a fundraiser or something.
When I recently "re-activated" my status I send out some emails to my co-workers who had purchased in the past or felt would appreciate it. I ended up getting called into the Compliance Officer's office and given a thorough explanation of the policy. Since I had sent the emails from an outside source and not from my work source it was deemed I was safe, but barely! Yikes!!
Anyway, I would believe him.

In today's culture of corporate layoffs, I could understand him being a bit cautious, policy or no policy.Send a veggie tray on the chilzanne server to the next company picnic, and if they ask where it came from, tell him, "Well, my wife got it from this Pampered Chef stuff she sells ..."

My significant other has taken catties into work and has passed the catties out to the workers. He even has taken it one more step in helping me and went to the business next to his and provided them one in their break room. His son who is seven lives with us and he has told his friends' parents as well as his mother about Pampered Chef. He is so willing to ask if he could give his mom a scraper even though it is used because he quotes "My mom loves Pampered Chef!"
It must depend on the company and their policies. I know my previous job, he could bring a catalog in however you couldn't go around asking anyone but if i was talking to them about other things, i just let them know where the catalog was.
Sorry for the babbling..

I agree with your hubby. It's really not the best way to "sell", anyway, by laying out catalogs. The best bet is to have your Supportive Spouse brag about how great you're doing with your Pampered Chef business when he's at lunch with his co-workers (or whenever they're chatting about non-business stuff - yes, people do that!) ;) My DH took one of his clients skiing last weekend, and they were chatting about what their wives do. When DH told him I sold PC, he said, "OMG, I need a new PC consultant - our old one quit and we LOVE PC!" So, I put together a packet with catalog, order form, specials, etc. and a personal note to him that I'd love to be his new PC consultant. So, the best ways to get new business is by word of mouth - even your hubby's mouth! :D

augmommychef said:
Let me preface this by saying that I have a super supportive husband who encourages me in all of my PC endeavors. He helps me prep for my shows and makes sure to come home early to take care of the kiddo so I can get to my shows on time. However, I have asked him nicely several times to leave a catalog in his break room just for his coworkers to browse through during lunch time. He refuses to do so because he doesn't think it is "kosher" and he says it is against company policy to advertise these types of direct sales companies. He works for a very large software company. My question is: is this common for corporations? When I worked at a corporation, I was never familiar with direct sales companies so I never really knew the policies surrounding it. What has your experience been? I can't quite tell if he is telling the truth...

My husband wasn't able to do that either, and neither was I able to bring a catalog to work once I started working as well.

Your hubby seems to do more than most would in helping their wives with PC...I know it is a bummer that he can't bring a catty to work, or feels strange about doing it but before my hubby switched jobs, he took one into his old work, and his boss bought from me, and it has been an on going nightmare with her!!!, and a couple other people that ordered, and so maybe count your blessings. :)

My dh works for himself and by himself. He's so busy, I doubt he even thinks abuot PC when he's working with customers. He wouldn't talk to anyone if it wasn't required to get business and make money!:)

DH doesn't solicite orders for me at work - and he works with mostly women at a large Assisted Living Center. (nurses, aides, cooks, and housekeepers). His boss doesn't think it's appropriate. She has had a PC show with me in her home, but didn't invite co-workers, and didn't get orders from any of them. They all know I sell though, and will often place individual orders. When they want a catalog, I send a couple to work with some orders forms - but it is all initiated by them.
I have lots of other ways and places to get bookings and orders, so I don't worry about it too much. DH is very supportive, and has no qualms about telling people he meets about what I do. Often, when we are out, he will speak up before I do and tell people, and ask them if they'd like to have a show!

My DH has not been as EXCITED as I have been about me selling PC. He grumbles when he sees a PC box or product. We have had the arguments about him not being very supportive. I have seen so many people say "Oh My DH is so wonderful...he does this and that" I was starting to think I had made a bad decision about selling! I don't want this to come between the 2 of us. The good thing about him is he will take my catalogs to work and I think he is a little surprised of how many people actually love PC! I thanked him profusely for taking them in and getting orders. Well...I think we had a break through last night! YIPPPPPEEE I was closing an open house I had and was choosing my free product and I asked him to be involved in the process. He started flipping through and asking about different products. We stopped at the cookware and he said "Why is it so expensive?" I asked him if he had ever priced "good" cookware? Of course he had not. So I saw an opportunity and ran with it! I explained to him just like I would have at a party and he was sold! He even suggested I spend a little more on my 1/2 priced item and get the Stainless bowls! I was shocked, but very happy! Sorry so long....I am just so happy :p

That's great, Cookin Kristen!

Related to Is it common for corporations to have policies against direct sales companies?

What are some ways to get my husband more involved in meal prep and cooking?

1. Start by discussing with your husband why you want him to be more involved in meal prep and cooking. Explain how it will benefit both of you and the family.2. Give him specific tasks to do in the kitchen, such as chopping vegetables or grilling meat.3. Make cooking together a fun and enjoyable activity. Turn on some music, have a glass of wine, and enjoy each other's company while cooking.4. Show appreciation for his efforts and praise him for his cooking skills.5. Consider taking a cooking class together to learn new skills and techniques.

My husband always leaves a mess in the kitchen after cooking. How can I get him to clean up?

1. Communicate with your husband about your expectations for cleanliness in the kitchen.2. Set specific guidelines for cleaning up after cooking, such as wiping down counters and washing dishes.3. Offer to help him clean up after cooking to make it a joint effort.4. Consider assigning specific tasks to each other, such as one person cooking and the other cleaning up.5. Remind him that a clean kitchen is important for food safety and a pleasant cooking experience.

How can I get my husband to try new recipes and ingredients?

1. Start by discussing with your husband why you want to introduce new recipes and ingredients into your meals.2. Involve him in the meal planning process and ask for his input on what new recipes and ingredients to try.3. Start with small changes and gradually introduce new flavors and ingredients.4. Experiment with familiar dishes by adding new ingredients or trying different cooking methods.5. Encourage him to try new foods by reminding him that variety is important for a healthy and well-rounded diet.

My husband always wants to use the same kitchen tools and gadgets. How can I get him to try new ones?

1. Explain the benefits and features of the new tools and gadgets to your husband.2. Use the new tools and gadgets yourself and show your husband how they make cooking easier and more efficient.3. Involve him in the decision-making process when purchasing new kitchen tools and gadgets.4. Share recipes that specifically call for the new tools and gadgets.5. Encourage him to use the new tools and gadgets by reminding him that they can expand his cooking skills and repertoire.

My husband is not a fan of cooking. How can I make it more enjoyable for him?

1. Start by asking your husband what specifically he dislikes about cooking. Address those concerns and try to find solutions.2. Make cooking a fun and interactive experience. Involve him in meal planning, grocery shopping, and recipe selection.3. Set realistic expectations and don't pressure him to become a master chef overnight.4. Encourage him to choose recipes that he enjoys and make them together.5. Make cooking a shared responsibility and show appreciation for his efforts. This will make the experience more enjoyable for both of you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• finley1991
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
pchefkris
Replies
Views
luvbeingachef
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies