• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Is Charging $30 for Hosting Shows Worth Losing Customers? Find Out Here!

In summary, some consultants may charge booking deposits and bring their own ingredients, but charging a $30 fee for hosting is not a common practice in the Pampered Chef business. This consultant's policy of charging for using her own tools is not aligned with Pampered Chef's guidelines and may not be well-received by customers. It is advised to follow the traditional Pampered Chef approach and avoid charging fees for hosting.
Sheila
Gold Member
Okay, so I've heard that some Consultants charge booking deposits (if you cancel at the last minute it's non-refundable) ... but have you ever heard of anyone charging $30 for hosting? One of the consultants on my team is hearing from customers that another consultant (not on my team) is doing that. Not refundable. Supposed to be some sort of "fee" for her using her own tools.

My question: WHO would book a show with her & agree to that???

My advice was to just be patient, she probably won't be in business long and the one on my team can reap the rewards of all the other consultant's lost customers. ;)

Sheila said:
Okay, so I've heard that some Consultants charge booking deposits (if you cancel at the last minute it's non-refundable) ... but have you ever heard of anyone charging $30 for hosting? One of the consultants on my team is hearing from customers that another consultant (not on my team) is doing that. Not refundable. Supposed to be some sort of "fee" for her using her own tools.

My question: WHO would book a show with her & agree to that???

My advice was to just be patient, she probably won't be in business long and the one on my team can reap the rewards of all the other consultant's lost customers. ;)

Hmmm...is she possibly bringing ingredients and charging for that? I can't imagine anyone paying to have her come to do a show...most people are too direct party savvy and know that's not how it works.

Chefbeckyd said:
Hmmm...is she possibly bringing ingredients and charging for that? I can't imagine anyone paying to have her come to do a show...most people are too direct party savvy and know that's not how it works.

That's the only thing I can think of. I know of a few consultants who do it this way. I'd love to know if that's the case with this one.

I had a consultant who was trying to do that. I explained to her that it's NOT PC's policy to charge for shows and that it has never been done and guests and hosts do NOT expect that. The problem with this particular consultants is that she has a VERY low show average. She won't let me attend a show with her so I don't know what she is doing wrong. But I suspect it's something she's saying because no one is buying. (Well, I do know she tells everyone just to come and that they don't have to buy! That could be most of the problem! LOL!)Anyway, I explained that if she wants to charge, she can. It's her business. But PC doesn't charge for cooking shows so she'd have to call it something else and present it differently because that's NOT what we're about.She seemed to get it. She tried her own *cooking class* thing and of course it bombed. Now she's back to doing cooking shows the proper way.I think promoting the $30 as a fee for using her tools is b.s. (personally). My consultant was charging $25-$30 PER PERSON to attend.Why can't some people just keep it simple and follow the plan that PC has put forth? Sheesh!(Stepping down from my soapbox now... ;) )

From what the customers are relaying, it's just a flat fee for coming to their home & bringing her tools. Who knows, maybe her show sales stink & that's the only way she's guaranteed a paycheck? Just sounded weird to me. I've never heard of anyone doing that! IF the guests are right, hopefully she'll get smart to revamp her policy before the consultants doing shows the regular way run her out of business.

I do bring the ingredients and have my host reimburse me $10 towards them. We are very rural and my hosts think this is a big convenience, I never have anyone who says anything about paying the $10.

I can understand the ingredients, after all they are getting the $15 extra in FPV to offset the cost of the groceries. And even though I've never done it, I can understand the theory behind the cancellation deposits. But I'm not really grasping the theory of the host fee. LOL
vogel.gif

Sheila said:

:veryfunny:Love it! And I can not imagine someone charging to do a party especially if they don't help a host get a good party.

I agree. It's just wrong to charge a fee. That's not what PC does and I wonder if it's really even allowed... There are a lot of gourmet stores and such that charge for cooking classes and I think that it's possible she has some qualifications or qualities that she feels she can justify charging for. She's probably implying that she's bringing the PC show up a notch and who knows maybe she is. I did do some cooking classes several years ago. I charged $15 for the class. I used PC products but I made it more about the tips and techniques than the demo then I gave everyone a $10 GC for PC that they could choose to redeem (the other $5 helped cover the cost of food). It they held a party they could double the coupon. Some did, some just redeemed it and a few didn't. One participant joined my team and is still selling. It was a fun series. I really should do that again...

awesome idea Beth... can you share more about how you did that. I want to share that with my team

pcjenni said:
awesome idea Beth... can you share more about how you did that. I want to share that with my team

I did themes for the classes. One was on candy making, one on pies, another on cookies, another on appetizers... I did a couple of recipes and everyone got to taste and take some home. If they wanted to they could help but it was really more of a class. I gave lots of tips and techniques. When I introduced myself I told them I was a Pampered Chef consultant and would be using Pampered Chef tools but that this was not a PC party. When I gave them the GC I did tell them they were not obligated to use them but they did say "redeemable only with (me)". As I said most did redeem but those that didn't said that they felt they got their money's worth.

Doing it this way I didn't make any money off the class but I did get some new customers and more important, new friends.

Beth, If you have the info handy would you mind sharing what recipes you used for the classes? Thanks!

Beth - thank you so much for your post! I have been toying with the idea of offering Gluten Free/Sugar Free/Grain Free Cooking Classes, and wondering how to do it along with my PC business. Now you have my wheels spinning even faster!

cincychef said:
Beth, If you have the info handy would you mind sharing what recipes you used for the classes? Thanks!

Sorry. It was several years ago. It was in the fall so I know the candy and cookie classes were holiday orientated. I know we made apple pie with scratch crusts. Otherwise, I'm not sure of the recipes but I know they were simple but with a wow factor and lots of garnishing ideas thrown in. Like PC recipes, easy but impressive. If I do find notes I'll come back and post them. :chef:

how did you invite people to attend? and who did you invite?

pcjenni said:
how did you invite people to attend? and who did you invite?

I put an ad in the local paper and a blurb in my PC newsletter.

1. What factors should be considered when setting a price for a show?

When deciding on a price for a show, it is important to consider factors such as the cost of production, the size of the audience, the venue rental fee, and any additional expenses such as marketing and promotion. It is also important to research the going rate for similar shows in the area to ensure your price is competitive.

2. How can I determine the appropriate ticket price for my show?

The best way to determine the appropriate ticket price for your show is by conducting market research and analyzing your target audience. Consider the demographic of your audience, their income level, and how much they are willing to pay for entertainment. You can also use online ticketing platforms to track sales and adjust prices accordingly.

3. Should I offer different ticket prices for different seating sections?

It is common practice to offer different ticket prices for different seating sections, with front row seats typically being the most expensive. This allows for a variety of price points to accommodate different budgets and preferences of your audience. However, it is important to make sure the price differences are fair and reflective of the view and experience from each section.

4. How can I encourage people to purchase tickets in advance?

There are a few ways to encourage people to purchase tickets in advance. You can offer early bird discounts or special promotions for those who purchase tickets by a certain date. You can also create a sense of urgency by promoting limited availability or mentioning that ticket prices may increase at the door. Additionally, making the ticket purchasing process easy and convenient, such as offering online ticket sales, can also help drive advance ticket sales.

5. Is it necessary to charge for shows, or can I offer them for free?

It is not necessary to charge for shows, as some artists and organizations choose to offer free shows as a way to gain exposure or give back to their community. However, charging for shows allows for a sustainable business model and can help cover production costs and support the growth of your brand. It is ultimately a personal decision that should be based on your goals and values as an artist or organization.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • baychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
  • sailortena