• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do I Handle a Difficult Hostess for My Direct Sales Business?

am...so...upset...everyone....I emailed a hostess for next week's show about working with her to get her guest list started, and she responded back that she had personal and work reasons that she couldn't work. I emailed her back and said do you want to reschedule for next month, and she said she didn't want to talk about it right now. I then emailed her back and said well this is my business and I understand about work and personal reasons, but the show is my source of income and when I don't have a show my bills don't get paid. Then she emailed me back and said, well you showed up 30 minutes late I am supposed to be there an hour before hand not
mommyhugz1978
Gold Member
This is why I am so upset everyone..... I sent out an email to a hostess for next week about a meeting today about her show and working with her to get her guest lsit started.... she emails me back saying she has personal and work reason that she can have a show ..... I email her back and said do you want to reschudle for next month, I get a response back say I dont' want to talka bout it right now I can barely stay focused on work and staying in my chair... then I emailed her back stating Well this is my business and I uundertsand abiout work and personal reasons, but the is my business and I count on my shows becasue tehy are my source of income and when I dont' have a show my bills dont get paid. Then she emails me back saying, well you showed up 30 mins late I am suppsoed to be their an hour before hand not a half and hour.... and I changed the food at the last min, and I didnt' fix what they wanted me to fix for them, I her knwo that I didnt' think it owuld be a problem to change the recipie how ever I was wrong, becasue they wanted me to fix something that I have never fixed before, and I let them know, she put out suggestions on how my business is suppsoed to run, I let her knwo thank you but on the advice of my director I listen to suggestions but if you have not sold pampered chef, it does nto necessairly work for my business when I might have worked with another direct sales company. She sold princess house.... :rolleyes:

WHAT THE HECK DO I DO>>>>>> I killed her with kindess in another email.. with help from my co-worker.

Huh??
I am totally confused - is this a hostess r a past hostess? What did you show up late for?

Kill her with kindness, bless and release and move on...I truly believe if you run your business right, God will bless and take care of that... ...who knows what may happen because it was cancelled...

Pick up the phone...maybe you can fill the date with a fun show!

I'm confused too,
however... not to take sides (or start a new threat bashing me) HA!! BUT, if she said she had something going on and couldn't focus I would have replied I understand please call me at your earliest convenience.
she may be going thru a death, illness, divorce, unpleasant job situation, etc.
Yes, you are "unemployed" for next week use that show time for phone calls or a 2 hour power hour in your office. You'll reap the rewrds.

Pick up the phone and call her. Email is for information only.

Teresa Lynn said:
I'm confused too,
however... not to take sides (or start a new threat bashing me) HA!! BUT, if she said she had something going on and couldn't focus I would have replied I understand please call me at your earliest convenience.
Yes, you are "unemployed" for next week use that show time for phone calls or a 2 hour power hour in your office. You'll reap the rewrds.

Teresa,
I agree 100%! In Direct Sales, we walk a fine line. What is best for them (i.e. hosts, guests, etc) is what needs to be first and foremost in your mind. And, if she was difficult to work with the first time, it may be time to bless and release. Use the time you would have been at the show to do "income producing" tasks at home. If it isn't possible to work at home in the evening (interruptions by DH, kids, etc), take your cell phone, grab some show folders, get in your car, find a place to park and make CCCs. You can turn this lemon into lemonade! Chin up! :D

dannyzmom said:
Huh??
I am totally confused - is this a hostess r a past hostess? What did you show up late for?

She is a past hostess adn was going to hsot a show for me next week... sorry frustations casued me not to write the whole story....

Teresa Lynn said:
I'm confused too,

I Let her know in the email that I understand about work and personal life... but I also let ler know my side as well... and that when she was ready to talk to let me know and we could discuss things.

janetupnorth said:
Kill her with kindness, bless and release and move on...I truly believe if you run your business right, God will bless and take care of that... ...who knows what may happen because it was cancelled...

Pick up the phone...maybe you can fill the date with a fun show!

He has blessed my business a great deal this year!! definatly going to pick up the phone and get something.

chefjenibel said:
Teresa,
I agree 100%! In Direct Sales, we walk a fine line. What is best for them (i.e. hosts, guests, etc) is what needs to be first and foremost in your mind. And, if she was difficult to work with the first time, it may be time to bless and release. Use the time you would have been at the show to do "income producing" tasks at home. If it isn't possible to work at home in the evening (interruptions by DH, kids, etc), take your cell phone, grab some show folders, get in your car, find a place to park and make CCCs. You can turn this lemon into lemonade! Chin up! :D

Thanks that helps a great deal!!

mommyhugz1978 said:
... but I also let ler know my side as well... and that when she was ready to talk to let me know and we could discuss things.

When the HOST is in crisis (her email quoted: I get a response back say I dont' want to talka bout it right now I can barely stay focused on work and staying in my chair... - YOU or anything YOU do or want DOES NOT MATTER.... in their minds anyways.

Be careful of offending her - it sounds to me that she felt you were blaming her (Leah's your email quoted: ...then I emailed her back stating Well this is my business...) and I think at this point she didn't hear(?) read anything else. Do you see what I mean? She just wasn't in the frame of mind to hear what you were saying... We do walk a fine line in direct sales - living in a small community can be a detrement to your business at times as she could kill your future business if she FEELS (notice I didn't say what you did to her) - IF SHE FEELS that YOU somehow made her the bad guy or that your bills were more important than her crisis.

I only say this because it happened to me and it takes forever to get out of that ficious cycle in a small town.

I think in the future you might try calling your host if you detect there is a problem with any part of their show - it is simply more personal and I think you would have better results than responding to an email....

No matter how much YOU think that you are helping HER - let it go until SHE is ready to come to you....

Hang in their kiddo - there is a vast amount of fish in the ocean - throw your pole out and pull in another (bigger) on :D

My .02

DebbieJ said:
Pick up the phone and call her. Email is for information only.
Yes... Give her some time to cool off and give her a call or drop off a baked item to let her know you are thinking of her.

Gina is right--when someone is having a crisis, they tend not to care much about what effect their actions have on those around them. She probably read into your email a lot of meaning that you neither wrote nor intended. I agree that you should let her cool off and give her a call. And ask if there's anything you can do to help her in her situation--sometimes people need a good meal during a crisis, and if you take over a recipe, you'll be her consultant for life (and the consultant of anyone else she tells about the story!).

I had a host whose father-in-law passed away five days before her show, and I took her the recipe for her show on the night of her show anyhow (a day or two after the funeral). She loved it, her family loved it, and she told everyone she knew about it--I've gotten some good business because of that.

Brandie, I just wanted to say how incredibly kind and thoughtful that was. From a business and friendly way it works all the way around.
Mommyhugz, give this lady a few days to cool off and then pick up that phone and call her! Be a friend and a consultant.

Brandie said:
Gina is right--when someone is having a crisis, they tend not to care much about what effect their actions have on those around them. She probably read into your email a lot of meaning that you neither wrote nor intended. I agree that you should let her cool off and give her a call. And ask if there's anything you can do to help her in her situation--sometimes people need a good meal during a crisis, and if you take over a recipe, you'll be her consultant for life (and the consultant of anyone else she tells about the story!).

I had a host whose father-in-law passed away five days before her show, and I took her the recipe for her show on the night of her show anyhow (a day or two after the funeral). She loved it, her family loved it, and she told everyone she knew about it--I've gotten some good business because of that.
That was a kind gesture. Extending the olive branch goes a long way.

Latest Update from my hostessI delated the email.... from here.... but here is what happen she emailed me back applogized for flying of the broom handle on me..... and explained what happend..... I emailed her back and realted some commonatlites... and told her that if she needed a friend that my phone number was on my signauture and if she needed to talk feel free to call me..... Well all have bad days..... dont' we? ALL IN A DAYS WORK...... So all is not lost... at least I think it's not...... and everyone on CS knows something about me that I dont' share at all..........:eek: ~Leah

Last edited:
WHOA! That is a ton of crazy stuff. She must work with a lot of men--no offense to the men here!--my husband works in a very male-dominated field, and he and some of the other guys he works with shout it out and then laugh it off. Women just don't work that way!

I think you did her right with your kind words. Kudos to you!

She is an ad consultant at the newspaper here........

:) Wow, mommyhugz, that was a very deep and personal thing she shared with you and I know that extending that hand to her will help her in more ways than one. Congratulations I think you just met a customer for life.

chefkitty said:
:) Wow, mommyhugz, that was a very deep and personal thing she shared with you and I know that extending that hand to her will help her in more ways than one. Congratulations I think you just met a customer for life.

I read the email response from Leah's host earlier today and have debated whether to post this or not, I feel very strongly about this so have decided that I will share my thoughts.

As a community we share many personal thoughts and feelings with each other. That is fine because they are ours to share. That said, I think we need to be VERY CAREFUL about what we post regarding other people NOT tied to this site. This host shared some VERY private and personal information and I don't feel we (as consultants and cheffers) should break that confidence by sharing it with perfect strangers. I feel uncomfortable now knowing that a girl named [**the personal information has been deleted since the original email is now gone**]. Do you see what I mean? That is an awful lot of personal and private information that shouldn't be shared.

This site is a great place to share our concerns and vent our frustrations about host and customers but we need to make sure we aren't posting private and personal information that could reveal their identity.

I realize that there was no malicious intent in posting the email but it's something we need to think about for next time.

My two cents....

Last edited:
I debated on how I should respond back to your post..... thanks for your two cents... and offending me beyond messure. We all post differnt things on here, about husbands, hostess, children, oursevles..... the point of this thread was to seek advice on what I should do... your timing was poor and so was your wording. I took great acception to it.... and if that is not how it was meant then I am sorry, but to offend to someone means nothing what your intent was but how it was recieved.

My intent was not to offend but to hopefully make us all aware. We are so used to sharing our own personal information and that is fine because it's OUR personal information. When we start sharing other people's personal information we need to be very careful.

Whether you believe it or not, I really debated about even sharing my thoughts because it would probably hit a nerve with someone. But I tried to put myself in that host's place and how I would feel if, without my knowledge, my personal and private struggles were being shared with others, I thought I needed to share what was on my heart.

This thread was started to vent frustrations and look for suggestions. Many of the threads on this site do just that. That is alot of what CS is all about...consultants coming together to share thoughts, look for ideas and suggestions. I don't want that to change....what I'm trying to say is that, in the future, we all need to be careful in what we share about non-cheffers.

ITA with Georgia Peach. If I was your host I would be LIVID.

It was not my intent to start an argument or fight on here... But to share that I turned a negaitive into a postive... when I thought all was lost.... Probley should ahve done it a differnt way. and the intent of this thread was not meant to bash on me... It was with the intent to give suggestions on what I should do to help my hostess in the future (not her nesscarily) ..... I am frustated beyond belife .... but it doesn't matter....

Last edited:
Leah, we rejoice with you that it turned out good...just go delete the thread so the information goes away...

janetupnorth said:
Leah, we rejoice with you that it turned out good...just go delete the thread so the information goes away...

How do I do that?? or can you edited a posting after you have posted it?

Never mind fixed.......

Glad you found how to edit/fix... :)

Leah, maybe just go back and edit your post that contain names & places.
this way your (nice) story can be told and those involved shall remain nameless

reba515 said:
Leah, maybe just go back and edit your post that contain names & places.
this way your (nice) story can be told and those involved shall remain nameless

She did, but GeorgiaPeach needs to edit hers...

you must have been doing that while I was typing!

I delated the whole dang thing to begin with I didnt' want anyone else to bash on me.. .so I just shortened it.

*snugs* leah. We really do use each other to help bounce ideas off of and to vent and that is a lot of what this forum is for. I'm glad to hear that the situation turned around for you. May your hosts' life get better soon.

I think that's fine Leah as long as GeorgiaPeach takes her references out.

I understand your excitement that it worked out and you did a great thing sharing and being open to her. Hopefully it will be a big help.

I understand too though, other's concerns that you shared some "medical" information openly. But, you took the steps to correct it so hopefully they'll forgive and move on.

janetupnorth said:
She did, but GeorgiaPeach needs to edit hers...

Sorry, I took a break to watch the finale for Grease, You're the one that we want! :) I've deleted the personal information too.

GeorgiaPeach said:
Sorry, I took a break to watch the finale for Grease, You're the one that we want! :) I've deleted the personal information too.

Ohhh, I had to watch that too!!! I am so glad that Max and Laura won! I've been rooting for both of them simce the beginning! (I'm a Slacker Backer!)

ChefBeckyD said:
Ohhh, I had to watch that too!!! I am so glad that Max and Laura won! I've been rooting for both of them simce the beginning! (I'm a Slacker Backer!)

My family has watched every show. We have LOVED Laura and NOT Austin throughout the whole process. So we were happy :) Max is okay but I would have liked to see Chad and Laura together.

Is that show any good I havent' ever watched it... Loved the movies but havent' seen that either.

It wasn't bad. What I liked about the format is that America votes and they have the bottom two do a "sing off". Then the judges can "save" one. When it got down to the last three the judges didn't get a say anymore.

I wish American Idol would try that!! Maybe then we could get rid of Sinjaya!!! :D

GeorgiaPeach said:
It wasn't bad. What I liked about the format is that America votes and they have the bottom two do a "sing off". Then the judges can "save" one. When it got down to the last three the judges didn't get a say anymore.

I wish American Idol would try that!! Maybe then we could get rid of Sinjaya!!! :D

The saddest part was when the ones voted off had to sing their "goodbye" song....
I want to see Grease on Broadway! I've seen an off-Broadway version - I'd love to see Max & Laura in action now!

(and GeorgiaPeach - I thought Chad was gorgeous - just a little to gorgeous to convincingly play a greaser......)

Leah, I am so happy that you were able to change a Negative into a positive! That can be a very tough thing to do.

I also need to say I understand what GeorgiaPeach was trying to say. Please do not take offense...

As Someone who has personally gotten into BIG trouble and almost lost friends and ruined reputations for relaying a "funny story" to someone I thought was uninvolved. It is best to omit names. You can still convey the information but once a name is put to it things can get sticky...

I did come into this late and have no idea what this host had been thru. It sounds to me like you were there for her and that is the most important thing.

Again, Please do not take offense. I just wanted everyone to know what can happen with the best of intentions.

ChefBeckyD said:
The saddest part was when the ones voted off had to sing their "goodbye" song....
I want to see Grease on Broadway! I've seen an off-Broadway version - I'd love to see Max & Laura in action now!

(and GeorgiaPeach - I thought Chad was gorgeous - just a little to gorgeous to convincingly play a greaser......)

I've always hated the "goodbye" song (on Grease and AI). Congratulations! America has decided they don't like you...on top of being embarrassed and humiliated...you must now stand in the middle of the stage and sing for us!!

Chad WAS gorgeous! My 17 yr old daughter drooled over him each week (of course, so did her 40+ yr old mother!! :D ) I think it was a great marketing tool to do this audition on TV. Now so many people feel they have a "connection" with Max and Laura and will be more willing to go see the show.

I was so happy Max won! I have a special place in my heart for the underdog. :)

I am glad that everything happened for the better for you. And you are keeping up a relationship with this host.I had a similar thing happen with me, I had a previous host who wanted to have another party, but one of the people she really wanted to come (who was a really big PC fan) got leukemia after recovering from breast cancer years before. With that crisis in mind, I didn't push but kept in touch with her and asked about her family member. She died last month, and my host decided she wanted to have a party in May to cheer the family up, and we are going to do something in memory of this family member during Help Whip Cancer. What I am surprised at right now is how this thread was hijacked in a serious area to talk about something totally non-PC related. Shouldn't that stay in the Chef's Lounge or other off-topic areas? My time is busy like everyone else, and I want to read about PC stuff in a PC thread, not a TV show I never watch.

I am taking offense to something....I hear ya....thread hijacking at it's best..... Tena....

I apologize for commenting on a non-PC topic on a PC thread.

Its a joke... we are all guilty of it!! LOL

Well, these are real conversations. How many times when you talk to friends to you get sidetracked? I do all the time...

Like I said we all do it..... I am the most famous for doing it... My family says' it's a southern thing.... ( grew up in Alabama) but I start a conversation and then go off in another direction .... Oh welll

supergirljennie said:
Well, these are real conversations. How many times when you talk to friends to you get sidetracked? I do all the time...

I agree. Of course, I was one that went off topic so not sure if I'm allowed to agree :D It's a rare thread on CS that DOESN'T go off topic at some point! :) In this particular case, a situation was presented, suggestions were offered, a resolution was shared and the thread was winding down to a natural conclusion when it started to go off topic....kinda like a phone call to a friend. :)

It was a serious topic, with a bit of tension at one point and, I for one, liked that it was going to be able to end on a light note. Sorry for participating in a hijack :(

<h2>1. How do I approach a difficult hostess for my direct sales business?</h2><p>When dealing with a difficult hostess, it's important to remain calm and professional. Begin by listening to their concerns and addressing them in a respectful manner. It may also be helpful to remind them of the mutual benefits of hosting a successful show, such as earning free products and helping you grow your business.</p><h2>2. How do I handle a hostess who cancels or reschedules a show at the last minute?</h2><p>If a hostess cancels or reschedules a show at the last minute, it's important to be understanding of their reasons. However, it's also important to communicate the impact this has on your business and income. You can offer to reschedule for a later date or find alternative solutions, such as hosting a virtual show.</p><h2>3. How do I handle a hostess who is not happy with the products or services I provide?</h2><p>If a hostess is not satisfied with the products or services you provide, it's important to address their concerns and find a solution that works for both parties. This could include offering a refund or exchange, or providing additional support to ensure their satisfaction.</p><h2>4. How do I handle a hostess who tries to dictate how my business should run?</h2><p>If a hostess tries to give you unsolicited advice on how to run your business, it's important to remain professional and assertive. Thank them for their suggestions, but let them know that you have a system in place that works for you and your business. Remind them that each direct sales business is unique and what works for one may not work for another.</p><h2>5. How do I handle a difficult hostess who is also a friend or family member?</h2><p>Dealing with a difficult hostess who is also a friend or family member can be challenging. It's important to maintain a professional relationship and communicate your expectations clearly. Remind them that this is your business and you rely on successful shows for income. It may also be helpful to offer alternative solutions, such as hosting a smaller show or placing an order outside of a traditional party setting.</p>

1. How do I approach a difficult hostess for my direct sales business?

When dealing with a difficult hostess, it's important to remain calm and professional. Begin by listening to their concerns and addressing them in a respectful manner. It may also be helpful to remind them of the mutual benefits of hosting a successful show, such as earning free products and helping you grow your business.

2. How do I handle a hostess who cancels or reschedules a show at the last minute?

If a hostess cancels or reschedules a show at the last minute, it's important to be understanding of their reasons. However, it's also important to communicate the impact this has on your business and income. You can offer to reschedule for a later date or find alternative solutions, such as hosting a virtual show.

3. How do I handle a hostess who is not happy with the products or services I provide?

If a hostess is not satisfied with the products or services you provide, it's important to address their concerns and find a solution that works for both parties. This could include offering a refund or exchange, or providing additional support to ensure their satisfaction.

4. How do I handle a hostess who tries to dictate how my business should run?

If a hostess tries to give you unsolicited advice on how to run your business, it's important to remain professional and assertive. Thank them for their suggestions, but let them know that you have a system in place that works for you and your business. Remind them that each direct sales business is unique and what works for one may not work for another.

5. How do I handle a difficult hostess who is also a friend or family member?

Dealing with a difficult hostess who is also a friend or family member can be challenging. It's important to maintain a professional relationship and communicate your expectations clearly. Remind them that this is your business and you rely on successful shows for income. It may also be helpful to offer alternative solutions, such as hosting a smaller show or placing an order outside of a traditional party setting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcjenkunkel
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • baychef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • LBurke