• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Changed My Mind About Going to Conference ....

In summary, the person is feeling conflicted about attending a business conference because they don't plan on being a consultant past the end of the year, they haven't made enough money to cover the trip expenses, and they will miss out on spending time with family. They also feel guilty about changing their mind and are seeking advice on how to tell their director. The group advises them to be honest with their director and prioritize what is best for their family and business.
sailortena
I have this thing in the back of my head doing this to me:
• You don't plan on being a consultant past the end of the year
• You haven't made enough money to pay for the whole trip, and the rest will be a burden financially.
• You will miss out on seeing family.

While going will let me meet lots of people, get first look at lots of new products and learn new things, I don't think it's viable if I don't plan on being in the business for the long term. (Actually I should have gone last year.)

My parents live half a country away. (They are in PA, I am in AR) If I don't use this time to see them, I won't be able to until NEXT year. They won't be coming to my area of the country for Thanksgiving or Christmas because they can't afford it (and we can't travel then). I have the opportunity to also see other cousins and uncles that same week, and it should be extremely fun.

I think what I am feeling right now is the guilt of telling my director. Because six weeks ago when I registered I was totally enthused, and now I want to do other things with family and friends and not constantly chasing after hosts, past hosts and other people to generate business that I am really only a hobbyist.

How should I approach this in telling my director? We are friends (not CLOSE friends, but friends nonetheless) and I still want to sell and attend meetings, but I just can't afford to spend $300-$400 from my husband and my tight budget to pay for a trip that won't benefit me for a while.

sailortena said:
I removed the first part of the quote because I wanted to highlight this part....I still want to sell and attend meetings, but I just can't afford to spend $300-$400 from my husband and my tight budget to pay for a trip that won't benefit me for a while.

Just tell her this. She should be understanding enough to see that you've had other things come up & you've had time to re-think your decision. :)

That's understandable. We'll miss you, but you have to do what's right for you. If you have to choose, family is more important than Pampered Chef.

Your director will understand. I've probably missed something somewhere, but why won't you be in the business past the end of the year?

It is YOUR business. If you can't justify the time and expense then you should not go. You have to do what is right for your family. Sure your director will be disappointed but if she is truely your friend she will understand. Tell her as soon as you can so she can find someone to take the space in her hotel room.

National Conference is the best way to make your business grow and you have already heard all the reasons. BUT if you are a hobbyist and don't intend to do more than that with your business or you plan on leaving the business then it probably isn't worth your resources.

We all get very frustrated when hosts don't tell us that they changed their mind or didn't get those orders. Don't do that to your director. Be straight forward with her and tell her just what you said here. She'll be disappointed (she wanted the fun of going with you too!) but it will all be okay!

BTW: My DIRECTOR (an Advanced Director) has changed her mind too! she said her daughter has her first camping trip that week and she doesn't want to miss that. Like Rae said, family comes first.

I know that can't have been an easy decision for you. But I agree with the previous posts - just be straight with your Director. That gives her time to find someone to take your place in the room (if you were sharing with the rest of your cluster).

Family comes first, or not, as YOU choose. It's YOUR business, after all!

That's a shame! To be honest, as much as conference did for me last year and as much as I enjoyed it, I wasn't sure if I was going this year or nor, until recently. Everything will work out the way it is meant to be.

That is what is so great about PC it is YOUR business to do what you want with it. I love hearing all the conference tidbits but do not have a desire to go.

Be up front Whit your Director and I am sure she will understand. Do not put off telling her though, let her know immediately. We always want to know changes as soon as possible, so, do the same for her. She may could find someone to take your spot if it is going to affect how much anyone else pays for the room and stuff.

Just tell her in the same way you would want her to tell you. I always say putting yourself in the other person's shoes will show you how to handle things.

I agree w/the others, don't feel bad about not going. I went last year and it was a lot of fun (and not just because I won a shoping spree), but I don't think it changed my motivation for the business. You can get just as much out of listening to training tapes. I do it a lot in the car (I drive 1 1/2 hours a day). It's really cool to go, but it is a lot of money when you just do this part time.

I'm not going this year. I need to save the money for a family vacation this year. Plus my 20th wedding anniversary is in September and I'd like to take a small trip w/my hubby (so much more fun then conference-LOL)!

I know when you're reading the posts on here and hear about everyone going from your cluster it's sad not to go, but it passes very quickly. It's also very exciting waiting for the posts on here!!

If you really want to go next year, sign up for conf. cash. I haven't done that yet, but I think I'm going to this year. If I don't go it's like having money in savings!

1. Can I cancel my registration for Conference?

Yes, you can cancel your registration for Conference by contacting our customer service team at least 30 days before the event. A cancellation fee may apply.

2. Can I transfer my Conference registration to someone else?

Yes, you can transfer your Conference registration to someone else by contacting our customer service team at least 30 days before the event. A transfer fee may apply.

3. Will I receive a refund if I cancel my Conference registration?

If you cancel your Conference registration at least 30 days before the event, you may be eligible for a refund minus a cancellation fee. Refunds are not guaranteed and are subject to our cancellation policy.

4. Can I still attend Conference if I didn't pre-register?

Yes, you can still attend Conference if you didn't pre-register. However, on-site registration may be limited and availability cannot be guaranteed.

5. Is there a dress code for Conference?

There is no specific dress code for Conference, but we recommend dressing comfortably and professionally. Business casual attire is appropriate for most events, but feel free to dress up or down according to your personal preference.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dollfangs
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • esavvymom
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
Melissa78
  • chefcharity