• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Am Totally Freaking and Grossed Out!!!!

In summary, Debbie's new neighbors brought roaches to her condo and she is disgusted and plans to get rid of them. Kristen suggests calling the condo management and using roach balls, boric acid, or Raid.
chefkristin
Gold Member
:eek: So late this past summer we got this letter from out condo management. There was a roach problem. Yes ****ROACHES!!!! Well the condo management had the exterminator come in and I don't think he did much. I feel like killing the new neighbors who brought them here in there moving boxes. My husband put out the roach motels and it really seemed like we fixed the issue. At first there was a lot then they were getting less and smaller and soon we weren't getting any. Well guess what??? THEY ARE BACK!!!!

HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE THINGS--It makes me feel so gross and disgusting. I saw a MONSTER in my dishwasher!!!!

I AM TOTALLY FREAKING!!!!!!:eek: :( :eek: :(

I'm sorry Kristin! I have no idea but what I would do is call the condo mgmt first thing tomorrow morning!!!

RoachesI hate roaches and my husband would be the first to tell you that I will scream if I see one.
Here in Texas they are as big as hamsters and they fly!!!! It's horrible!! I am so grossed out by them too. It's winter so we don't have any right now. In the summer they come out. We are getting an exterminator since we have only been in this house for 8 months and haven't had an issue with them yet. I am glad. :p

I once had one crawl on my arm while I was sleeping in our old house and it was so scaly and scary, I woke up and screamed. :eek:
My husband grabs it with his hands and flushes it down the toilet without flinching!!! :eek:
He's my hero!!!

DEBBIE :D

YUCK!!! I have never dealt with roaches but did have a HUGE ant problem once. They are all gross!!!!

I believe it's called copper sulfate. You get it at the hardware strore.

Kristen,
I use to live in New Mexico and the roaches there were like Debbie described...HUGE (they are actually water bugs but look like roaches that have been injected with steroids) Anyway, you can get something called "roach pruf" and it works great! Here is also a recipe that I found on a website for you as well. I don't know how well it works but I know the roach pruf is great. Hope this helps until you get the exterminator out again.

Roach Balls

1 cup borax
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

Make a paste of the ingredients and roll the paste into little balls. Place two or three balls into a sandwich-size plastic bag and leave the top open. Place the bag anywhere you have a roach problem. The roaches will eat the balls and carry them away. The bugs die at home, out of sight, and other roaches eat those carcasses and so on. The onion scent draws them in. This recipe makes about 50 balls for about 10 applications. There is one caution. Hide these bags carefully so that children and pets can't get at them.

I think I am sending my husband to the hardware store today to get some Boric Acid. I read that you can put the powder in the holes and crevices where they come out of. I am also having my husband pull out the stove today to CLEAN behind it. I am so DISGUSTED!!! If there is even one little crumb on the counter they come out. EEEWWWWW!!!!!:(

You can mix the boric acid with powdered sugar (guess it attracts them) make sure it is not where your kids can get to it I think the boric acid is very poisonous.
You may ahve to check into to a hotel or stay with granny for the weekend and bomb it. We only have the water bugs near our pool& around the flower beds around my gazebo they like the rotting mulch.
I hate to be planting or weeding and one crawl out and raise up into a huge thorny branch of my roses.

I WOULD MOVE!! I didn't even know what one looked like til I saw the TV show "how clean is your house". I couldn't live with creepy things I'd go insane. We have spiders that sometimes come in when doors and windows are open in warmer months and I go crazy:eek: Twice a day we do spider protol in the summer look in all corners up and down. GOD I HATE BUGS.:(

UGHH! Sorry! Here is my Roach Tale From The Crate...& what we didI am grossed out for you! I used to cry if I saw a bug now, I kill it, spray and don't sleep.

I did a show where the host had roaches crawling everywhere in her kitchen! When I pointed one out(for her to kill) she shrugged her shoulders and said "We can't do anything about it. The 4H is practically in our backyard." Huh? I decided I would wash my dishes there rather than taking any bugs home in my crate. I went to the sink and FREAKED!! It was inundated with ants! Oh, and there was a tornado actually going on at this time. We were in a small home with no basement. As I am watching the TV and doing my demo we see the twister. I saw a REAL tornado! I didn't care! I was more scared of the roaches than of the twister! I flew through the demo, had people tell me what a great show it was and how they couldn't believe how much fun it was! UGHHH, by now I was ready to throw up but that would mean I'd have to see her bathroom. I wasn't taking chances.
When I finally made it to my car I called my dad in a PANIC! His friend is an exterminator and they know what a freak I am. While I was waiting for his friend to call back I called my husband crying because by now I felt them crawling up my legs and back. UGHH! They weren't but like I said, I was freaking! His friend called me back and said Don't park in the garage. I had to empty all the dishes out of my crate, inspect them and hand them individually to my husband to clean. We emptied and shook out my bookbag, TTA, and the Show-To-Go making sure there weren't any hiding. All the while it is still storming outside. I was drenched. After all of that we had to spray it all, pack it back in my car (which I sprayed the carpets) and leave outside in the rain.

It took me days to get over that. But, I can now kill bugs with ease.

When we first moved into our house 14 years ago there were roaches. We were told to get rid of any cardboard boxes because that is where roaches like to lay their eggs. I think we sprayed every other week for two months then once a month for 3. Now, I just do it if I see an invader (usually when seasons change). I panic and then spray. Not the whole system again, but the house, once.

Good luck getting rid of them. I know you can. I really will be praying for you.

I would call the professionals. When we moved into our house 17 years ago, the house was vacant for a long time. We had baby roaches! They had to spray twice to get rid of them. The exterminator said even the cleanest people can get them.

But I know what you mean about freaking out!

Ann

ohhhh! Now....I"m feeling all itchy and icky and looking on my counters and ewwww......I HATE BUGS!!!!!

When I lived in Alabama there were these huge roaches that never made it in the house, but they were in the garage...where the washer and dryer were....DH had to do the laundry....I never went in the garage after I saw the first one. Good thing we only lived there for six months. I like Illinois....we don't have huge bugs like in the south, I think I'll stay here.

Well, my husband got the boric acid today and pulled out the stove. I expected him to tell me they were all back there but--NOTHING! Anyway he sprinkled the stuff back there and in under the sink.

What kind of spray do you use???

Chefgirl2 said:
I am grossed out for you! I used to cry if I saw a bug now, I kill it, spray and don't sleep.

I did a show where the host had roaches crawling everywhere in her kitchen! When I pointed one out(for her to kill) she shrugged her shoulders and said "We can't do anything about it. The 4H is practically in our backyard." Huh? I decided I would wash my dishes there rather than taking any bugs home in my crate. I went to the sink and FREAKED!! It was inundated with ants! Oh, and there was a tornado actually going on at this time. We were in a small home with no basement. As I am watching the TV and doing my demo we see the twister. I saw a REAL tornado! I didn't care! I was more scared of the roaches than of the twister! I flew through the demo, had people tell me what a great show it was and how they couldn't believe how much fun it was! UGHHH, by now I was ready to throw up but that would mean I'd have to see her bathroom. I wasn't taking chances.
When I finally made it to my car I called my dad in a PANIC! His friend is an exterminator and they know what a freak I am. While I was waiting for his friend to call back I called my husband crying because by now I felt them crawling up my legs and back. UGHH! They weren't but like I said, I was freaking! His friend called me back and said Don't park in the garage. I had to empty all the dishes out of my crate, inspect them and hand them individually to my husband to clean. We emptied and shook out my bookbag, TTA, and the Show-To-Go making sure there weren't any hiding. All the while it is still storming outside. I was drenched. After all of that we had to spray it all, pack it back in my car (which I sprayed the carpets) and leave outside in the rain.

It took me days to get over that. But, I can now kill bugs with ease.

When we first moved into our house 14 years ago there were roaches. We were told to get rid of any cardboard boxes because that is where roaches like to lay their eggs. I think we sprayed every other week for two months then once a month for 3. Now, I just do it if I see an invader (usually when seasons change). I panic and then spray. Not the whole system again, but the house, once.

Good luck getting rid of them. I know you can. I really will be praying for you.
Ok mine is NOT that bad. I HATE bugs so I think I am making it a bigger deal than I should but one is more than enough. Anyway I called the management company today and he was supposed to have Terminix call us and they never got back to us. I will call them again tomorrow. I hope the BA works!

[Teresa Lynn]You can mix the boric acid with powdered sugar (guess it attracts them) make sure it is not where your kids can get to it I think the boric acid is very poisonous.

Boric acid is NOT very poisonous. It is used in alot of shampoos, lotions etc and a very popular alternative to pesticides. My brother moved out of my moms house and he had a dog with a mild flea problem. After he was gone a few weeks we went into his room and the fleas attacked us. I am not kidding, there were atleast 100 on each of our legs and feet. All the eggs had hatched and those fleas were hungry! The room had wood floors and we poured boric acid all over and left alone. No more flea problem.

luvs2sellit said:
[Teresa Lynn]You can mix the boric acid with powdered sugar (guess it attracts them) make sure it is not where your kids can get to it I think the boric acid is very poisonous.

Boric acid is NOT very poisonous. It is used in alot of shampoos, lotions etc and a very popular alternative to pesticides. My brother moved out of my moms house and he had a dog with a mild flea problem. After he was gone a few weeks we went into his room and the fleas attacked us. I am not kidding, there were atleast 100 on each of our legs and feet. All the eggs had hatched and those fleas were hungry! The room had wood floors and we poured boric acid all over and left alone. No more flea problem.
THANKYOU-THANKYOU-THANKYOU!!! My dad also told me not to get that because it was very poisonous. But I also read that it could be used for diaper rash so I think it will be ok behind my stove and under the sink! I have to admit I am concerned a little though!

Just do a search on Boric Acid on the net and you will find all the info you need. Good Luck!

DebbieSAChef said:
I hate roaches and my husband would be the first to tell you that I will scream if I see one.
Here in Texas they are as big as hamsters and they fly!!!! It's horrible!! I am so grossed out by them too. It's winter so we don't have any right now. In the summer they come out. We are getting an exterminator since we have only been in this house for 8 months and haven't had an issue with them yet. I am glad. :p

I once had one crawl on my arm while I was sleeping in our old house and it was so scaly and scary, I woke up and screamed. :eek:
My husband grabs it with his hands and flushes it down the toilet without flinching!!! :eek:
He's my hero!!!

DEBBIE :D

I hear ya debbie! Same thing here in Houston...we have a lot of pine trees in our yard and around us. They seem to flock to them. EEEEEK! Gives me the willies just thinking about it! How bout those skeeters??? Seems the freezes we have had haven't killed them off yet....

My roach story...I teach. I had a kid a few years ago walk into my room in the morning and begin to unpack his backpack. Next thing I know, everyone is freaking out (4th graders). HELLO! There were roaches EVERYWHERE, big ones, little ones, you name it, they were there. I told the kids, step on them! Then had to have the custodian come vacuum. I have never been so disgusted. There were literally HUNDREDS of them. I'd hate to see what the house looked like!:eek:

Tara1021 said:
I teach. I had a kid a few years ago walk into my room in the morning and begin to unpack his backpack. Next thing I know, everyone is freaking out (4th graders). HELLO! There were roaches EVERYWHERE, big ones, little ones, you name it, they were there. I told the kids, step on them! Then had to have the custodian come vacuum. I have never been so disgusted. There were literally HUNDREDS of them. I'd hate to see what the house looked like!:eek:
Now that is NASTY!!!

KristinIf your looking for a new home, call me I'm a realtor in MA....be glad to help you out.....:D :D

As I'm reading, I'm itching all over, I too can feel your pain. Bugs SUCK....point blank....in Florida, my home had the huge flying ones and they would fly through the door when you opened it, they where looking for a cool spot, and I would SCREAM my lungs out....then the Wolf spiders, well THAT kept me up for WEEKS....arg.....not to mention the stinking ants.....

Keep calling them, squeaky wheel gets the grease.....I would complain complain complain until they get them out....

My parents bought a resturant and when they went up to the storage area in the 2nd floor, well, surprise, they where LOADED with Roaches.....and surprise that roaches LOVE paper goods, how disgusting it was....totally insane, they came in the boxes of napkins that had been delivered from the prior owners and from there, well, they where very LOVING roaches, if ya know what I mean....:eek:

I wish you much success and keep on them, I still can't figure out the GOOD in bugs, ANY of them okay? LOL....

Okay, gotta go itch now.....EEK....

Bengal Roach Spray. The best stuff ever against roaches--large and small!

Ann

Kelley Sells said:
If your looking for a new home, call me I'm a realtor in MA....be glad to help you out.....:D :D

As I'm reading, I'm itching all over, I too can feel your pain. Bugs SUCK....point blank....in Florida, my home had the huge flying ones and they would fly through the door when you opened it, they where looking for a cool spot, and I would SCREAM my lungs out....then the Wolf spiders, well THAT kept me up for WEEKS....arg.....not to mention the stinking ants.....

Keep calling them, squeaky wheel gets the grease.....I would complain complain complain until they get them out....

My parents bought a resturant and when they went up to the storage area in the 2nd floor, well, surprise, they where LOADED with Roaches.....and surprise that roaches LOVE paper goods, how disgusting it was....totally insane, they came in the boxes of napkins that had been delivered from the prior owners and from there, well, they where very LOVING roaches, if ya know what I mean....:eek:

I wish you much success and keep on them, I still can't figure out the GOOD in bugs, ANY of them okay? LOL....

Okay, gotta go itch now.....EEK....
Thanks Kelley but I am not looking to move just yet. I am actually in the process of updating my condo. I just had Bath Fitters come in to insert a new bathtub wall yesterday! It looks awesome! Now I am about to get a brand new bathroom floor installed for $150.00!!!!! My brothers good friend takes care of the family!!! Then I have someone coming out on March 1st to give me an estimate on refacing my cabinets.

I've read somewhere for even distribution of the boric acid mixture to pour it into the condiment squeeze bottles form the dollar store. throw the bottle away so it doesn't get reused.

when I subbed for awhile I had been in a classroom that was very nasty, cluttered and smelly. I went to our local grocery store after class & as I was paying a roach crawled out of my purse I was mortified!!
The cashier laughed and asked which class I had been in (still had my name badge on) I just said kindergarten she immediately daid I bet it was Mrs. ____ class my son had her last year he was always bringing bugs home.
I never subbed for her again.

Related to I Am Totally Freaking and Grossed Out!!!!

1. Why am I freaking out about my food?

It's natural to feel grossed out when you come across something unexpected in your food. It could be a foreign object, an unexpected texture, or an unusual smell. Our bodies have a natural instinct to protect us from potential dangers, which can cause a strong reaction to something that seems off in our food.

2. What should I do if I find something gross in my food?

If you come across something that grosses you out in your food, the first thing you should do is stop eating and remove the offending object. It's important to assess the situation and determine if it is safe to continue eating the rest of the food. If you are unsure, it's best to discard the entire dish to avoid any potential health risks.

3. How can I prevent finding gross things in my food?

While it's impossible to completely eliminate the chance of finding something gross in your food, there are some steps you can take to minimize the risk. Make sure to thoroughly inspect your ingredients before using them, properly clean and store your food, and be mindful of expiration dates. Also, be sure to wash your hands before preparing or eating food to avoid any cross-contamination.

4. What should I do if I accidentally eat something gross?

If you accidentally consume something that grosses you out, it's important to monitor your body for any adverse reactions. If you experience any symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, seek medical attention immediately. It's always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to potential food contamination.

5. Is it safe to continue using the rest of the food after finding something gross?

This ultimately depends on the specific situation and your personal comfort level. If the offending object was a hair or small piece of plastic that was easily removed, then it may be safe to continue using the rest of the food. However, if it was a more concerning object or if you are unsure about the safety of the rest of the food, it's best to discard it and start fresh with a new batch.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefEileen
  • ahammons