• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Am Going to Get off of Here and Work My Business....

In summary, Kelly is taking the 30 minutes to check her email and Chef Success once a morning and is going to allow herself to check it again after 9 PM. Anyone else want to join in on this?
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
OK all, don't take this the wrong way....

A long while back (towards the beginning of this year) I took off time from here and didn't even check in at all. Then, when Paige disappeared, I came back to see just what the heck was going on. (Which, BTW, I am sooooooo glad Katie emailed me so I could be praying for Paige!!)

Well, I am right back to the same spot I was when I decided that I needed to stay off of Chef Success. I am sure some of you know what I mean. Checking for new posts 50 times a day...checking my email tons of times...all of this is nice BUT NOT NEEDED! I need to focus on $$ producing time, or even time doing PRODUCTIVE things for my family and our home.

Saturday I had some amazing training (again...:eek: ) and I WILL BECOME A DIRECTOR before NC 2008! But, I certainly need to focus on my family and my business. So, I am going to allow myself 30 minutes to check CS and my email first thing in the morning, and then I will not check back again until after 9PM when my little guy is in bed (8) and I have done phone calls from 8-9.

Anyone else need to join me in this? :blushing: ;)

KellyTheChef said:
OK all, don't take this the wrong way....

A long while back (towards the beginning of this year) I took off time from here and didn't even check in at all. Then, when Paige disappeared, I came back to see just what the heck was going on. (Which, BTW, I am sooooooo glad Katie emailed me so I could be praying for Paige!!)

Well, I am right back to the same spot I was when I decided that I needed to stay off of Chef Success. I am sure some of you know what I mean. Checking for new posts 50 times a day...checking my email tons of times...all of this is nice BUT NOT NEEDED! I need to focus on $$ producing time, or even time doing PRODUCTIVE things for my family and our home.

Saturday I had some amazing training (again...:eek: ) and I WILL BECOME A DIRECTOR before NC 2008! But, I certainly need to focus on my family and my business. So, I am going to allow myself 30 minutes to check Chef Success and my email first thing in the morning, and then I will not check back again until after 9PM when my little guy is in bed (8) and I have done phone calls from 8-9.

Anyone else need to join me in this? :blushing: ;)
I would love to join you!!!!

Ok, Kelly, I'm with you! I've been thinking this myself lately. I try to only spend time in the morning while having breakfast & then I end up hitting New Posts every so often! I need to set my little clock timer for 30 minutes & then stay off! I really want to promote to director by NC & would like to have 2 for Leadership so I can go. I'm taking October off to have a baby, so I need to kick it in high gear to get my 2 by Jan! I have NO recruit leads right now, but plenty of shows. Need to work on those shows instead of playing around on here (which IS what I've been doing)!!!

So, starting today I'll be joining you on this! My 30 minutes are up! Off to work my business & take care of children!

I just had a fair that I did yesterday BY MYSELF from 10-3. I have some calling to do tonight for that so I will be back after my son goes to bed.

Yep. I am going to physically SHUT OFF MY COMPUTER in about 10 minutes!

Glad that I am not the only one who struggles with this.
It's amazing how much we can tell others (or our own children) how to work efficiently, but how we need to actually PRACTICE what we PREACH!

I am making baby steps on using FLYlady.net (my sink is shined, my bathroom is clean and I have been doing the swish and swipe in the bathroom about every other day) but I need to keep moving in the right direction with my:
spritual life
housecleaning
working 3-2-1

I am stoked!

KellyTheChef said:
Yep. I am going to physically SHUT OFF MY COMPUTER in about 10 minutes!

Glad that I am not the only one who struggles with this.
It's amazing how much we can tell others (or our own children) how to work efficiently, but how we need to actually PRACTICE what we PREACH!

I am making baby steps on using FLYlady.net (my sink is shined, my bathroom is clean and I have been doing the swish and swipe in the bathroom about every other day) but I need to keep moving in the right direction with my:
spritual life
housecleaning
working 3-2-1

I am stoked!
I need to check out FlyLady!!!! I need help in that area!!!! Ok off for now. Talk to you all tonight!!!!!

Hey, Kelly, this is what I've been doing for the past couple of months. I sometimes get the urge to check in the middle of the day, but I usually don't give in until after I've made my calls.

raebates said:
Hey, Kelly, this is what I've been doing for the past couple of months. I sometimes get the urge to check in the middle of the day, but I usually don't give in until after I've made my calls.
Rae~

I figured that's what you have been doing! You are just two steps ahead of me!!

Darla did our training on Saturday (recruiting) and I already have a lead cuz I actually DID what she taught us!!

God must be moving through all of us. I've had the same thoughts lately. See you all much later today! Thanks for posting Kelly!

Karan Radcliffe always says to ONLY check your e-mail when you can't be making calls... so before 9am and after 9pm. Good guideline! Of course, it's 9:04am right now! :)

I need to limit my computer time too!! I've been better about not being in CS all day, but I'm a bit obsessive when I check my email 90 times a day. I don't always have time to respond to those emails, but I come on and check way too often. I used to do flylady but it overwhelmed me. The only thing I ever worked into my routine was the sink thing, but it didn't last very long.

I have been re-evaluating how I use my time and I know that my business is getting the short end of the stick. I dont' work it like I need to, so this week is a new step for me too. I need to check email in the morning, get my son to the bus stop, come back and start cleaning the kitchen (which usually means doing dishes, unloading the dishwasher, etc). I'm looking at my dishwasher right now and need to do that before I get a bunch of catalogs ready to mail at the post office.

Thanks for starting this thread. I need to be better too, but I will probably do it more gradually. Maybe check CS and email in the am, then around lunch, then in the afternoon before making dinner and after kids are in bed. Although CS I could probably just check twice a day. It's the email I'll need to wean myself off of!!

Good luck everyone!!!:)

finley1991 said:
Karan Radcliffe always says to ONLY check your e-mail when you can't be making calls... so before 9am and after 9pm. Good guideline! Of course, it's 9:04am right now! :)
See-I need to TOTALLY follow that. I've mentioned to my husband that it's all classical conditioning (like Pavlov's dogs). Many times, I check my email and I see that I have an online order (Oh YAY!!), so that makes me want to keep checking it. Or I see that a host has a bunch of outside orders. Or I get an email that is someone wanting to finally host a show. So, it just keeps me coming back for more!!! That's how I get hooked.

How funny Kelly! I have 3 shows this week, and every week until the middle of Nov. right now, and I had decided over the weekend that there would be no CS during the day - just in the morning and maybe evening.........so here goes!

Except I do have to go post my favorite new quote!

this is a very good idea. i stay at home all day with my daughter and i could be doing so many better t hings around the things (housecleaning, spirit cleaning LOL and working my business) instead of sitting in frotn of the computer! thanks kelly!

I had the same problem. I would get home from work and sit down to the computer and just get sucked into this site for hours. For about 2 months now I have stopped doing that and have noticed a huge difference in my ability to focus on the things that really DO need to be done. I do not allow myself to check any threads EVER while I am at home. I browse throughout the day while I am at work but NEVER at home. The only reason I allow myself on at home is for files because I feel that is productive to my business. It really works. I still can get all of your great tips and suggestions but it is not interfering.

I agree, I need to use my time more wisely, not just in my business but in general!!

I am with you all! I spend way too much time checking new posts through out the day. I have a bookkeeping business too so I have to be on the computer for that, but when I am avoiding that work as well as phone calls I end up on here!

I can turn off my email though. I use Outlook and am just trained to open it first thing in the morning and leave it on all day (my computer stays on all day). Now that I'm not working in an office environment where people are always sending emails I certainly don't need to keep it open all day!

So I'm off to read more CS for 5 more minutes, then I need to get the kids ready for Grandma's. While they are there I have to go work at a bookkeeping clients house. Then pick them up and come home to naps and I can make some calls. Sounds like no CS until after they are in bed today!

It's gonna be so hard!!!!!!!:eek:

KellyTheChef said:
Rae~

Darla did our training on Saturday (recruiting) and I already have a lead cuz I actually DID what she taught us!!

Please share what she taught you.

Yes Please share Kelly!!
OK here is my Confession: lol

I have a full time job that i have to be at at 8:30. I wake up, usually.. go to the computer, check email and here..Rush to get ready(because i took to much time checking..) Get to work, Turn the computer on, CHECK email and CS, Play around for a little while.. start working, While im working(i scan documents in..) I check and read in between scanning.. LOL!! Im addicted HORRIBLY!!! I dont get alot of my work done because im stuck on here!!!
I really need to make SPECIFIC times to check. I hate it though, because I love everything on here! The files, and everything else!!
So pretty much, I need to spend less time doing this, and more time WORKING!! And cleaning my house... That fly lady? Is it addictive to? Before i check it out, i wana know!! LOL!!

Thanks for this thread, Kelly! I've been in the same boat too....thought I was alone....guess not!! LOL

It's so easy to get distracted and get off track...making excuses to NOT make those calls (I'm not a big fan of the phone), but if I don't have the shows and the leads, I don't have a business, so time to get myself on track!!

I'm reading a book right now called "Getting Things Done" by David Allen. I highly recommend it. It's getting my office organized, as well as, all my to-do lists!

See you all later tonight! :)

I'm with ya Kelly. I was doing the "check CS once a day" for quite awhile. Then like you, when the Paige situation happened, I've been checking in the afternoon too (yep, it's afternoon now, lol).
Back to only in the AM from 6:45-7:15. I'm sure not going to be making calls then!
We can do it:p :thumbup:

Checking in from work... BAD.... Okay, I'm in too! :)

I am in...but I can check it from work where I can't do anything else really for my business so I will keep checking at work but then not when I am at home except for after 9pm.

Oh I sooo need this!! My computer stays on all the time, PLUS I have IncrediMail which gives me the option of having Notifiers. So everytime I get an email, up pops a notifier...and if the speakers are on...I hear it too!!
Since I'm curious by nature...I MUST check the email...
And I have the CS option of an email when someone posts on a subscribed threat...

AHHH!!! WAAAAAAYYY too much time on the computer.... so hear I sit...reading more posts! and instantly deleting junk/ bulk mail...

I think 8am-9am...then again 9pm-10pm would be MORE than enough time spent...I'm just an email-aholic! And my kids, husband and friends all know it!

I stuck to my twice a day rule. I had several things to take care of this morning, so I got on while the cookies* were baking late this afternoon. Now that I've got all of my other things (including my contacts) done, I'm back.One thing I've learned is that I don't have to read every thread or every post on a thread. With that in mind, if you address me in a thread, and I don't answer, I'm not ignoring you. I just haven't read that thread. We all know that threads take tremendous detours, so please be sure to PM or email me if you want to ask or tell me something.*The Furry Guy is a big cookie eater. A full cookie box is one of the secrets to our very happy 22-year marriage. When the weather isn't too hot/humid, I bake cookies about once a week. This week it was my basic chocolate chip cookie recipe (an adaptation of the Cook's Illustrated recipe) made with mini chips and craisins. Last week I made them with chopped white chocolate and craisins.

Kelly,
I totally agree with all of this thread! I've decided to also read emails in "off-phone" hours, which really does make a difference!
Here's my thinking....I sort of make a deal with myself....no emails until my 3-2-1 "stuff" is done for the day...that is, my 3 contacts, at least!! And, believe me, if I hold myself to it, I thoroughly enjoy my email time so much more, knowing I made my calls first!!

That being said, I have a "flylady question" for you....

I know she always starts out, stressing the importance of a clean sink. I love the idea, but what do you do when it's a "show" night? I don't do dishes at my shows. I bring them home, and sometimes it's late when I get home. I just don't do them that night! I usually wait until the next day, because, when I get home, I'm tired and just want to relax for awhile, you know?
Do you feel this way at all? Or do you go ahead and force yourself to get those dishes done, regardless??
I love the Flylady concept, but her very first instruction is stumping me!! HELP!! lol

Paula

I'm not Kelly... but I have loved Flylady for some time now. I have found that even when I get home and SO do NOT want to do those dishes... I am a MUCH better wife and mom the next morning when I do. On the nights when I have left them, it just screws up the next day. I don't know why but it just seems to work out that way. The other night on my way home, very late, I really thought I would leave them all in the container, but when I walked in and set them down, all I could think of was STARTING my day with those dirty dishes and I gave it... it only took about 10 minutes and it was all done. I find that 15 minutes on the timer has helped me realize just how much I can accomplish in that short time. Hope this helps

quiverfull7 said:
I'm not Kelly... but I have loved Flylady for some time now. I have found that even when I get home and SO do NOT want to do those dishes... I am a MUCH better wife and mom the next morning when I do. On the nights when I have left them, it just screws up the next day. I don't know why but it just seems to work out that way. The other night on my way home, very late, I really thought I would leave them all in the container, but when I walked in and set them down, all I could think of was STARTING my day with those dirty dishes and I gave it... it only took about 10 minutes and it was all done. I find that 15 minutes on the timer has helped me realize just how much I can accomplish in that short time. Hope this helps

Yea, it does....I was afraid someone would be saying that!! lol :eek:

Well, at least my next show isn't until Saturday this week, so I've got a few days to get started on my next "new habit"!! lol:rolleyes:

Thanks alot!!:angel:

Paula

Guess we all better stock up on clock/timer batteries, huh??

Paula

Paula....I sometimes leave mine until the next day, 'cause I feel exactly that way too. But, what I do, is stock pile my dishwasher and there ends up being very few dishes to do by hand. Thank God for PChef's dishwasher safe tools!! :D

I have to admit, there are times when I leave dishes in the sink. But, I totally agree with Diane. When I actually make myself do it, it normally only takes 10-15 minutes and then I feel sooooooooo much better! (Still, there are times when I leave them anyway.) I know I shouldn't!

I always wash my dishes on the Host's host while they are visiting so I do not have to do it when I get home.
I really hate that you guys are not playing online so late or as much due to your new goals. It is lonely out here playing by myself.

1. "Why do you recommend taking time away from Chef Success?"

Taking time away from Chef Success can allow you to focus on other aspects of your life, such as your family and your business. It can also help you avoid getting caught up in non-productive activities, like constantly checking for new posts and emails.

2. "How long should I take a break from Chef Success for?"

The length of your break from Chef Success will depend on your individual needs and circumstances. Some people may only need a few days, while others may benefit from a longer break. It's important to find a balance that works for you.

3. "What should I do during my break from Chef Success?"

Use your break to focus on your business and personal life. This could include attending trainings, making phone calls, or spending quality time with your family. It's also important to take time for self-care and relaxation.

4. "How can taking a break from Chef Success benefit my business?"

Taking a break from Chef Success can help you recharge and refocus, leading to increased productivity and motivation in your business. It can also help you avoid burnout, which can negatively impact your business in the long run.

5. "Do you recommend setting specific times to check Chef Success and emails?"

Yes, setting specific times to check Chef Success and emails can help you stay focused and avoid getting caught up in non-productive activities. This can also help you establish boundaries and prioritize your time effectively.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AlowayFamily
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
kcmckay
  • aried
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • esavvymom