• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hp & the Deathly Hallows Discussion - May Contain Spoilers!

In summary, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a great book that ends the series. Neville ends up with the sword of Gryffindor and the sorting hat pulls it out of the ether. The Ministry is recovered and the dementors are brought under control. Luna is found and Harry writes the real story of Albus Dumbledore. Quibbling minds want to know.
I would LOVE to read Hogwarts: A History. It's been nearly as integral a part of the books as anything, seeings as Hermione mentions it at least once every book! :D

Here'sa some updated info about the Today show interview with Rowling. Meredith Vierra his conducting it. They showed a teaser this morning and it looks like it will be a good one. They filmed it in Edinburg Castle and there were some kids there too.

That is Thursday and Friday right?

If it's the Today show, it'll be early morning (7-9 am)

I just finished it! It took me forever because the kids kept interupting!! I liked it all! I hated that so many people had to die!! Did they mention all 5 of Harry and Ginny's kids names? I got Lily, Albus and James. I want to buy the UK version later when I can get all 7 in a set. I heard they are different than the US version since it ours are translated into our english. I met a teacher that read them all and she said that they are better since they are JK Rowlings words. No redone but a US publisher. Don't know if its true or not but still want to see!

Anyway I loved it all!!

Chef_2_Four said:
I heard they are different than the US version since it ours are translated into our english. I met a teacher that read them all and she said that they are better since they are JK Rowlings words. No redone but a US publisher. Don't know if its true or not but still want to see!

Anyway I loved it all!!

Here in Canada our books are published by Raincoast and are the "original" British version. I have books 1 - 3 (I think) in the Scholastic (US) version and there is some differences. I prefer the ones with the "British" English. I mean, they are in Britain after all! The differences are subtle, like "dustbin" instead of "trash can" (that's the first off the top of my head, it's in Book 1 when Hagrid's taking Harry to Privet Drive as a baby I believe). I believe I read somewhere that Scholastic didn't believe American children would understand British colloquialisms and slang.

northern_sunshine said:
I believe I read somewhere that Scholastic didn't believe American children would understand British colloquialisms and slang.
Which is a load of hooey! Kids are smarter than adults give them credit for, and most could either figure it out from context or ask someone.

chefann said:
Which is a load of hooey! Kids are smarter than adults give them credit for, and most could either figure it out from context or ask someone.

Oh, I totally agree!! I think it adds so much to the feel of the books, cause they are in England and they do have different names for things.

I thought Harry only had the 3 kids.

Unfortunately, I was spoiled about Fred and Snape's deaths. (Stupid inconsiderate people on blogs ARGH.) But Dobby made me cry! One thing I was confused about... when did Dumbledore's wand choose Draco as its master? I must have missed that... or it's been too long since I read book 6.

Not *certain* but since the wand was always claimed through violent death, and Malfoy was his killer (Snape did it for him, but it was Malfoy's kill). I think.

jenniferp417 said:
Not *certain* but since the wand was always claimed through violent death, and Malfoy was his killer (Snape did it for him, but it was Malfoy's kill). I think.

Yes, but didn't Harry say the wand chose a new master before Dumbledore even died?

chefmelody said:
One thing I was confused about... when did Dumbledore's wand choose Draco as its master? I must have missed that... or it's been too long since I read book 6.
That was a bluff by Harry to confuse Voldemort.

"I'll see your wand and raise you...oh, heck, I'm all in!"

No the wand was Malfoys. Remember in book 6 and Malfoy had Dumbledore up against the wall. Malfoy forcibly took the wand because he sent it sprawling through the air. Then Harry in book 7 tool Malfoys wand. Confusing.

I like how Rowling had references to something from all the books in this one. A couple oftimes I had to think back and go "oh thats right!"

Harry has 3 kids. Teddy is Tonks and Lupins. and Victoeire is I belives Georges daughter. I forgot who asked the question. Sorry.

I had assumed that Victoire was Bill and Fleur's child because it is a French sounding name.

shano said:
No the wand was Malfoys. Remember in book 6 and Malfoy had Dumbledore up against the wall. Malfoy forcibly took the wand because he sent it sprawling through the air. Then Harry in book 7 tool Malfoys wand. Confusing.
I forgot that - of course, I didn't reread 6 so it's my own fault.

The J.K. Rowling interview is on Thurs and Fri on TODAY, and then on DATELINE Sunday (I think for the full hour). Today's teaser was good -- Rowling said that the most difficult chapter to write was 34 (where Haryy "dies"). They showed her explanation, but I'll let you hear it from the author herself.
I didn't know the US version was altered -- I always figured it was just the cover art (and the title of the first book). I think Americanzing the works would ruin some of its integrity -- not a slight against North America, but I agree that some of the authenticity comes from the language and culture in which it si written.
I must say, there were times I had to ask my father what certain things (ie: treacle) were, as he lived in Edinborough for several years while in Grad School. Even my best friend's dad, and born and bred Scotsman, was unfamiliar with some terms.
And I still liked Dumbledore better in book 6. I guess I had a child-like view if him:) Does no one share that sentiment?!? Fine. I'll reread it and try to gain a new perspective.

peichef said:
And I still liked Dumbledore better in book 6. I guess I had a child-like view if him:) Does no one share that sentiment?!? Fine. I'll reread it and try to gain a new perspective.

No, you're not alone. On the one hand, I liked Dumbledore being more human and flawed... on the other, I *prefer* him being amazing and wonderful.

It's kind of like when I found out that Helen Keller was a communist - or at least had communist sympathies. I grew up in the 80s, communists were BAD. Learning that this person we were taught was so amazing (which she was) had these awful politics... total sucker punch. I've never recovered. Sometimes cold hard reality sucks bad.

I watched the interview this morning. I can't believe who she was going to kill off and then changed her mind! I'm not gonna say who just in case your at work and tivo'd Today so you can watch when you get home. Now they have to hurry up and get the movies out!

Oh by the way does anyway know how to figure out how much american dollars it would be to buy the english version of the books? i have found the currency rate but no way to type in X amount of GB equals X amount of american dollars. the books set is like 120 pounds so what would that be for me?

120 pounds is going to be about $245.57 according to today's rates. I go to xe.com to get the numbers.I don't have a Tivo or a VCR so I couldn't record the show - hopefully someone will post about what happened, or someone writes an article about it somewhere!

The whole interview will be on Dateline Sunday night right?

Oh by the way does anyway know how to figure out how much american dollars it would be to buy the english version of the books? i have found the currency rate but no way to type in X amount of GB equals X amount of american dollars. the books set is like 120 pounds so what would that be for me?

I saw several of the books in the bristish version on Amazon.com and the ones I looked at started at $16.95 plus shipping.

I was looking around Amazon.com and I found some of the books in the British version. The ones I looked at started around $16.95 plus shipping.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting the interview!

Your welcome :) I can't wait to see tomorrow's interview.

I had to ask my father what certain things (ie: treacle) were

So what is treacle tart? I haven't been able to find out.

Treacle: a thick sugary syrup, otherwise known as molasses

Treacle tart
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A treacle tart is a traditional British dessert with a rich, sugary filling in a pastry casing, traditionally with a lattice of pastry strips on top. The name is perhaps misleading in that it is not made with treacle (otherwise known as molasses) but with a mixture of golden syrup and breadcrumbs. Many recipes also add the juice and zest of a lemon to the filling. A treacle tart is normally eaten steaming hot, with custard or ice cream.

It has become quite popular among young American fans who read the internationally popular Harry Potter series, where it is mentioned several times at various meals. In fact, it is mentioned in book five, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, that treacle tart is Harry Potter's favorite dessert.

Recipe (not from Wikipedia, from the BBC)
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour Email this recipe

Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour

Ingredients

For the pastry:
225g/8oz plain flour
110g/4oz butter, chilled and diced
1 medium egg
For the filling:
450g/1lb golden syrup
85g/3oz fresh breadcrumbs
generous pinch ground ginger
1 lemon, zest, finely grated and 2 tbsp of the juice

Method

1. Rub the fat into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Mix in the egg with a knife, then knead to a smooth dough.
3. Use the dough to line a 23 cm/9in loose bottomed tart tin, prick with a fork and leave to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
5. Bake the pastry blind for 10-15 minutes until light golden brown.
6. Mix together the filling ingredients and pour into the pastry case. Bake for about 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

Thanks for the website ladies!!

I think tomorrow's interview will be better it will be Meredith and JK Rowling only...hopefully it will be a little bit longer. You did find out in the interview what Harry, Ron and Hermione end up doing for jobs. So that was neat! I'm recording Dateline too!

Ann, thanks for the recipe. It sounds good. I may have to try it just for the fun of it.

Thank you jenniferp417 -- it's nice to know I'm not alone re:Dumbledore.
Chef2 Four -- why not just buy the CDN version. It's the same text as the UK, and the dollar is on par (for, like, the first time in my lifetime:) )
And how cool was that interview this morning!?! I love the fact the she had a whole detailed epilogue. I wish she'd included it. I'm thinking if there is enough demand, she'll post it on her website. She does, after all, have other deleted chapters and background info on there. And I am SOOOO glad she didn't kill off that character in book 5. But it makes total sense. I remember thinking he was a goner the first time I read book 5, when Harry gets word of what happened at the Ministry. I think the woman is a literary genius. There is nothing in any book that is in there for the heck of it. Everything comes up again somehow at a later point. Makes re-reading all the better. Can't wait to get unpacked so I can start at book 1 all over again.

chefpenny99 said:
I had assumed that Victoire was Bill and Fleur's child because it is a French sounding name.

Your right! I cant believe I typed in the wrong name. lol!! :eek:

I missed the interview on today this morning. I cant wait til Sunday I will watch it all then. Does anyone know what time?

So I just finished the book (finally!)... I had to sneak and read some while at work today, I just didn't want to put it down. I think I am still a little numb about the whole thing. Also, this is the first book that I have read the US version instead of the UK version (I have lucked out and didn't start the series until 2003, when I was living in London, and then was living there again in 2005 when the 6th book came out). I am definitely going to be re-reading the entire series start to finish. All I can say is wow... now time to go watch that interview!

Interesting that they would use John Williams' music under the book cover...as you recall, he got fired after the second movie but that music is still what we all associate with Harry.Take that, you lousy directors, you.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Interesting that they would use John Williams' music under the book cover...as you recall, he got fired after the second movie but that music is still what we all associate with Harry.

Take that, you lousy directors, you.

:eek: I have no idea what you are talking about. Do tell! What happened?

John Williams was the composer for the first two HP movies, but not for the subsequent ones. The last movies just don't have the same touch and feel of the first two - the director did not use Williams' music, and didn't you notice how Dumbledore changed from a quiet, confident and all-knowing wizard into a sniveling wimp? I can hardly wait to see what that bonehead does to the last movies.I am sure that once I see the new HP movie, I will have to find a larger container in which to store my enthusiasm.

I am sure that once I see the new HP movie, I will have to find a larger container in which to store my enthusiasm.

KG- YOu are too funny :)

I know what you mean about Dumbledore. I don't like the way he is being portrayed in the movies. He is not the comical, fun loving, completely understanding man that he is in the books. I don't even think I gave him justice in explaining him. He appears mean and close hearted.

Now the music, I don't know, I like it. I feel it grows up with the characters, but that is my own opinion.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE YET! I tried hard to resist seeing before I went to SD. I had promised my friend and her son that my son and myself would see it with them and not before. That was the hardest thing I had to do. You must be made of steel!

Nah, I've been on the road for work - 3rd shift - and there aren't a lot of early morning showings. Once I get back into a more normal life, I'll go see it.

About Dumbledore, I liked the first actor better than the one that has the role now. Too bad the first one died.

KG, I cant believeyou havent seen the 5th movie yet!! Its good. Doesnt follow the book 100% of course they changed and switched things. Even in this movie Dumbledore backs down from Umbridge. Strange. Now KG, the movie comes out on dvd in nov.

Well, it took a while but DH and I finally finished HP & The Deathly Hallows this month. (We were reading it aloud together as our schedules permitted...so it was slooooow go, especially in September.) Anyway, I've been wanting to read thru this thread for months...but didn't want the spoilers. :)

legacypc46 said:
Well, it took a while but DH and I finally finished HP & The Deathly Hallows this month. (We were reading it aloud together as our schedules permitted...so it was slooooow go, especially in September.) Anyway, I've been wanting to read thru this thread for months...but didn't want the spoilers. :)

So what do you think? Did you like it? My son is almost done with it and loves it!

We thought it was great. Dobby's death was hard, especially coming so soon after his new loyaties and 'self-awareness'...I'm going to bust DH here, but we were both spilling tears when Dobby died.

I liked that Neville and the others ended up playing key roles (thought that was a testiment to Harry's leadership...that it wasn't just him they were rallying around, but what he represented as well.)

It was tough reading it so slowly, but we've read most of the HP series together and really wanted to experience the finale together. (We read a couple books aloud together every year...well, I read and he listens :rolleyes: )

That's great! I am so glad you enjoyed it! I love this series and honestly can't wait for the theme park to open and take my son with me. My friend and I live in different states now but we made a date to go to the theme park in 2010 with our kids.

Okay, I am so out of the US mainstream...what theme park? Where is it going to be?

From the news source, Cinnematical last Spring:
Universal Studios Florida Building 'Harry Potter Theme Park,' Source SaysDeadline Hollywood is reporting an exclusive scoop -- Universal Studios has set a plan to build a Harry Potter theme park inside the grounds of Universal Studios Florida. According to Nikki Finke, this story dates all the way back to 2005, when it was reported that Disney was debating whether or not to create a Harry Potter theme park in Singapore. The company was apparently engaged in "protracted negotiations' with J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros. to secure rights to the project. That plan morphed into the current one, with Universal stepping into the picture and going into negotiations with Warner Bros to build the Universal Studios facilities. According to Finke, the deal is now "set in principle, but terms are still being finalized." Which could mean anything, of course.
I wouldn't be buying any tickets just yet.http://www.cinematical.com/2007/04/14/universal-studios-florida-building-harry-potter-theme-park-so/.

Thanks KG.
I don't think I'd be too interested unless Rowling was heavily involved...wouldn't want it to be just another florida themepark. Have to admit though, I'd love to explore Hogwarts...must be the kid in me. :)

legacypc46 said:
Thanks KG.
I don't think I'd be too interested unless Rowling was heavily involved...wouldn't want it to be just another florida themepark. Have to admit though, I'd love to explore Hogwarts...must be the kid in me. :)

Just come and visit me...the building that DH works at.....some call it Hogwarts!! It is big and old....it used to be the base hospital YEARS and years ago.....LOL!

Oh and I would LOVE to explore Hogwarts!!!!

<h2>1. What is the Deathly Hallows in the Harry Potter series?</h2><p>The Deathly Hallows is a powerful magical object in the Harry Potter series that consists of three objects: the Elder Wand, the Resurrection Stone, and the Cloak of Invisibility. Together, these objects are said to make the possessor the Master of Death.</p><h2>2. Should I skip this thread if I haven't read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yet?</h2><p>Yes, it is highly recommended that you avoid reading this thread if you have not yet read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. This thread may contain spoilers that could ruin your reading experience.</p><h2>3. Is it okay to read this thread if I have only seen the movie version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?</h2><p>No, it is still recommended that you avoid reading this thread if you have only seen the movie version. The books often contain more details and plot points that may not have been included in the movies.</p><h2>4. Can I still participate in the discussion even if I haven't finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?</h2><p>Yes, you are still welcome to participate in the discussion. However, please be aware that there may be spoilers discussed that could ruin your reading experience if you have not finished the book.</p><h2>5. Are there any rules or guidelines for discussing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in this thread?</h2><p>Yes, please be respectful of others and avoid posting any major spoilers in the thread title or description. If discussing spoilers, please use spoiler tags to hide the information from those who have not yet read the book. Additionally, please refrain from posting any inappropriate or offensive content.</p>

1. What is the Deathly Hallows in the Harry Potter series?

The Deathly Hallows is a powerful magical object in the Harry Potter series that consists of three objects: the Elder Wand, the Resurrection Stone, and the Cloak of Invisibility. Together, these objects are said to make the possessor the Master of Death.

2. Should I skip this thread if I haven't read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yet?

Yes, it is highly recommended that you avoid reading this thread if you have not yet read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. This thread may contain spoilers that could ruin your reading experience.

3. Is it okay to read this thread if I have only seen the movie version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?

No, it is still recommended that you avoid reading this thread if you have only seen the movie version. The books often contain more details and plot points that may not have been included in the movies.

4. Can I still participate in the discussion even if I haven't finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?

Yes, you are still welcome to participate in the discussion. However, please be aware that there may be spoilers discussed that could ruin your reading experience if you have not finished the book.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for discussing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in this thread?

Yes, please be respectful of others and avoid posting any major spoilers in the thread title or description. If discussing spoilers, please use spoiler tags to hide the information from those who have not yet read the book. Additionally, please refrain from posting any inappropriate or offensive content.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • National Conferences and Meetings
2 3
Replies
Views
Tenille V.
  • Admin Greg
  • Products and Tips
2 3 4
Replies
Views