• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Much Will You Spend at Conference?

In summary, Becky spent $700 on her trip to Conference last year. This year, her biggest expense will be her airfare and cab fare, as well as food and coffee. She plans to stay at the same hotel, and spends very little money on sightseeing.
Chef Bobby
Gold Member
Last year I over spent big time. I bought some new clothes and shoes before I left. I didn't have a good deal on my flight because I waited too long plus I had to get a room in Indiana on my way home because of an overnight layover. I had a double room with 2 bathrooms at the Chicago Hilton to myself for 3 nights. I bought 3 suprise boxes. I bought a few things at the Merrill shop.
I spent close to $2,000.
This year my flight cost $14 round trip because of a voucher I got last year.
I'm sharing a room with 2 others and it might become 3. Because of the online outlet, I might only buy a suprise box with discontinued PC logo things.
The only splurging that I plan on doing is going to see "Wicked" Wednesday night.

My bus ticket was $18.50 round trip. I'll have to cover cab fare between Union Station and the hotel. Then there's a few meals. I have no intention of buying a surprise box, unless I break down and get a couple packs of mini catalogs for my team (then I'll get a box and use it to ship stuff home). I might get recordings from the featured speaker.

I earned free conference. I also earned a $300 Conference Cash. DH works for Delta, so my flight is free. I'm at the Sheraton with my SED in a suite with @ 5 other new directors, shouldn't cost more than @ $200. I don't buy surprise boxes either. Depends on what Merrill has to offer if I'll buy something. Probably buy stuff at the Director's store since that will be new for me. A couple packs of mini-catalogs. Taxi fare, miscellaneous meals, drinks at the MNG. That's pretty much it.

We always do Conference "on the cheap". We carpool to Michigan City, and then take the commuter train into Chicago. So, around $25 round trip w/ gas & train ticket. We come in the morning of the first day, so only 2 nights in a hotel, which we are sharing 4 ways.
I don't buy alot of stuff while I'm there. My director pays for my meal the first night (her gift to those who go), so I'll have lunch the first day, and lunch on the last day to pay for. I don't buy surprise packs (and I'm wondering how they can do them now with the outlet?) and the only other thing I will probably buy will be some mini catalogs.

We leave as soon as conference is over and head back home, so no sightseeing or shopping either.

Oh - and I'll have my $300 Conference Cash, so that will take care of most of my expenses!:thumbup:

I paid $229 for my airfare, and we will have 4-5 people in our room, so that will be about $140. It will cost about $22 round trip for the limo to and from the airport, and maybe a taxi ride during my stay. Since I bought 2-3 surprise boxes last year, I am all over it for now, and won't need to do that this year. I do need a shirt or two, so I may do a visit at Merrill. I do have $300 conference cash, which should cover the hotel and any meals, and a few other expenses.

I am following Colleen's budget. Hopefully I won't overspend as well. I am really afraid of that too.

Not going this year, but last year, I had just bought a house so funds were tight. I didnt buy anything from Merrill or the "shop" there. The only thing I spent $$ on where the surprise boxes. And in total I splurged probably $100 on the boxes/SH. It became and addiction.

Brought some granola bars with me and snacked on that if I was hungry trying to avoid buying snacks at conference.

In total I spent just $700 (room, airfare, taxis, food, surprise boxes). I did do sightseeing, but again I spent very little.

It can be done.

Oh - last year, I did buy some stuff from Merrill...spent $60 on that, but won't be doing it this year, I don't think. (unless there is something I just can't resist!)

My biggest expense last year was Caribou & Starbucks....needed my coffee!

Becky- most of the Conference hotels have coffeemakers in the rooms. Take a bag of coffee and a thermal mug and make coffee in your room. That's what I did at Leadership this year, and I plan to do it again at Conference.

chefann said:
Becky- most of the Conference hotels have coffeemakers in the rooms. Take a bag of coffee and a thermal mug and make coffee in your room. That's what I did at Leadership this year, and I plan to do it again at Conference.

LOL - Last year I didn't make coffee in the room because my Director and clustermate slept until 10 minutes before we were supposed to leave, so I would walk across the street to Caribou for coffee. (I'm an early riser - and didn't want to disturb them!) Then, I usually needed a big shot mid-afternoon, to keep me awake, so I would stand in those awful lines at the Starbucks in the conference center......and this year, I have a gift certificate to Starbucks that I've been saving for Conference!:D

I DO bring my own snacks though! I also usually snag an extra piece of fruit at breakfast to eat later in the morning as a snack. There is usually a ton of leftover fruit.....

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - Last year I didn't make coffee in the room because my Director and clustermate slept until 10 minutes before we were supposed to leave, so I would walk across the street to Caribou for coffee. (I'm an early riser - and didn't want to disturb them!) Then, I usually needed a big shot mid-afternoon, to keep me awake, so I would stand in those awful lines at the Starbucks in the conference center......and this year, I have a gift certificate to Starbucks that I've been saving for Conference!:D

I DO bring my own snacks though! I also usually snag an extra piece of fruit at breakfast to eat later in the morning as a snack. There is usually a ton of leftover fruit.....

Oh, I am so going to have to cash in some points I have. Nothing better than FREE coffee!!!

I have always spent between $500-$600 total. (Transportation: we drive, and I think I paid $60 for my portion of the gas before...God knows what it would have been this year!) and share a 2 bathroom room with 3 other ladies. BUT...I *DO* splurge at Merrill (since I can try on stuff there...I won't buy it otherwise since their sizes are so whack) and when we go to dinner, I buy whatever I want including dessert....it's my little vacation! Last year was fabulous, since $300 of that was paid for by PC cash!!

I think I spent $600ish last year including flight, hotel and food and extra souvenirs.

Okay thinking of how much we are spending- wasn't there a time where there was Early Bird Registration for $175 not $200? Or is my director and I losing it?? We signed on march 25 (first day within an hour of it opening) and we were just going over notes and noticed that. HELP!

Thanks

Let's see:

Paid $225 for registration and the tour.
Paid $139 for my plane ticket (would have paid more for gas, esp. since nobody else from my cluster is driving.)
Hotel is free thanks to the points earned by a clustermate!

So that just leaves meals, MAYBE a surprise box or 2 ... and MAYBE, just MAYBE one Merrill shirt, since I own no logo wear.

what is a surprise box?

It's a box with a whole bunch of retired products in there and they have different prices on them. $15, $30 or $50 I believe. I could be wrong on prices but you get a lot of products for the buck. You then take your box to a table and trade with other consultants if they're willing to trade. Its fun to get and then you ship the box back courtesy of Fed Ex!

Conference used to be $175 but they raised the price to $200 this year.

PampMomof3 said:
It's a box with a whole bunch of retired products in there and they have different prices on them. $15, $30 or $50 I believe. I could be wrong on prices but you get a lot of products for the buck. You then take your box to a table and trade with other consultants if they're willing to trade. Its fun to get and then you ship the box back courtesy of Fed Ex!
Almost. FedEx will handle the shipping, but you have to pay for it through commission adjustment.

Last year I paid the registration fee ($175?) and brought $300 with me. This paid for hotel, cash, food, a couple shirts from Merrill and a suprise box. Along with a few of the new paperwork items that came out so I wouldn't have to get any later and pay shipping. I spent most of the $300 with that.

This year I paid the registration fee plus HO tour ($225) and have $300 conference cash so I plan on bringing very little extra with me just in case.

chefann said:
Almost. FedEx will handle the shipping, but you have to pay for it through commission adjustment.

Yes that is true! Thanks Ann for clarifying that. I knew what I meant but a new consultnat wouldn't!

$200 for Conference, $430 for airfare, $205 hotel and budget of $200 for EL from airport to hotel RT, cab fares, meals (Bubbas, CheesecakeFactory, Millers Pub), surprise boxes and Mini Cats etc.. This is my Vacation.

PampMomof3 said:
Yes that is true! Thanks Ann for clarifying that. I knew what I meant but a new consultnat wouldn't!
I figured you did. But I didn't want anyone getting all mad when they had to sign a commission adjustment form at the shipping counter. ;)

BTW- pop unneeded things into a surprise box and ship them home to lighten your luggage. My upline does that every year with the RUFTH trivet and mini catalogs.

Great idea Ann!!

chefann said:
I figured you did. But I didn't want anyone getting all mad when they had to sign a commission adjustment form at the shipping counter. ;)

BTW- pop unneeded things into a surprise box and ship them home to lighten your luggage. My upline does that every year with the RUFTH trivet and mini catalogs.
We drove last year but the biggest pain was getting the boxes back to our hotel on the bus! We finally just broke down certain items and shoved them into the bags we got last year. I think depending on the shipping I may save myself the hassle of transporting a box again this year and have it sent home!

My room mates have never rode on a subway before so I told them I would ride with them. I did last year from the airport to within a few block of the hotel for $2.00. The only hassel was the flight of stairs to get back to the street and the turn gate that's not hardly big enough for carrying a bag through. It was a creepy adventure since I got off the subway alone about 1 am.

chefann said:

I couldn't agree more!! You'll be very happy to lighten your load at the mccormick center!!:)

Chef Bobby said:
My room mates have never rode on a subway before so I told them I would ride with them. I did last year from the airport to within a few block of the hotel for $2.00. The only hassel was the flight of stairs to get back to the street and the turn gate that's not hardly big enough for carrying a bag through. It was a creepy adventure since I got off the subway alone about 1 am.
I'd say that's a bargain compared to the $50 cab ride each way from the airport to the hotel!:yuck: :eek:

WHAT??? I also took the $2 tram and it was fine.

I will spend a bit less this year (hopefully) because I earned the $300 conference cash. I haven't sat down to do a conference budget quite yet though. My plane ticket alone was $430.

where does the tram take you too? Does it take you near the Hilton conference hotel? That would be so much cheaper than a cab or something.

check out the chicago official website and it has links to the CTA which is the EL train, it should only be a couple blocks from one of the stops. I used the trip planner they have, it's very helpful.

Thank You, I will have to check it out!!

Take the Blue Line from O'Hare or the Orange Line from Midway and you will be within blocks of all conference hotels.

Thanks soo much!!

Is a cab ride really $50?????

Last year we paid about $25 or so for a bus that held around 8 people. The took us to our Hotel and then picked us up on the way back to the Hotel for the one price. We flew into Midway.

We also took a airport shuttle and it cost about $20 roundtrip and they have a discount coupon onn CC so check it out.

I'm bringing a map of the area or a compass this year. I know it's due east to the hotel from the subway. Last year when I got off the subway and got up to the street it was deserted and I took off walking the wrong way.

Chef Bobby said:
I'm bringing a map of the area or a compass this year. I know it's due east to the hotel from the subway.

Depending on which line you're on, which stop you get off at, and which hotel you're staying at....

1. How much should I budget for conference expenses?

The amount you should budget for conference expenses depends on several factors, such as your flight and hotel costs, the number of days you will be attending, and any additional activities or events you plan on participating in. It is recommended to set a budget and stick to it to avoid overspending.

2. How much did you spend at conference last year?

Last year, I spent close to $2,000 at conference. This included expenses such as new clothes and shoes, a double room with 2 bathrooms at the Chicago Hilton for 3 nights, 3 surprise boxes, and some purchases at the Merrill shop. However, this amount may vary for each individual depending on their personal spending habits.

3. How can I save money on my flight and hotel costs?

To save money on your flight and hotel costs, it is recommended to book them as early as possible. This will help you get better deals and avoid last-minute price increases. Additionally, you can also look for discount codes or vouchers that may be available, like the $14 round trip flight voucher mentioned in the example.

4. How can I cut down on conference expenses?

One way to cut down on conference expenses is by sharing a room with other attendees. This will help save on hotel costs and also allow for a more social experience. Additionally, with the availability of online outlets and discontinued products, you can also limit your spending by only purchasing necessary items or opting for more affordable options.

5. Are there any additional expenses I should be aware of?

Aside from the typical conference expenses, there may be additional costs for activities or events outside of the main conference program. It is important to research and plan for these expenses beforehand to avoid any surprises. Also, remember to account for meals and transportation during your stay.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Becca_in_MD
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
ChefCKHall
  • pkd09
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • PampMomof3