• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Politics How Many Would Like Greg to Move All 2008 Election Threads?

In summary, most people seem to want Greg to move all 2008 election threads and results to a 2008 election sub-group and archive them.

How many would like Greg to move/archive all election-related posts?

• Yes, I'm done with the election discussion.

Votes: 83 63.4%
  • No, I think we should still discuss freely.

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • I can't decide.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I really don't care and ignore them anyway.

Votes: 26 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
janetupnorth
Gold Member
How many would like Greg to move all 2008 election threads and results to a 2008 election sub-group and archive them?

This will be a closed poll so your answer will not be seen by others.

I would like for this to happen

I gave multiple option so you can say I don't care and don't view, but still have an opinion about the moving of them.

nikki70563 said:
I would like for this to happen
Poll added/finished...you were too quick for me!

This should have been asked for when everything started up politically anyway. As long as everyone has been having a great time tearing each other down, why close them now?

I am not mad at you, Janet. For the last 2 or more months this site has turned friends into enemies. I would have LOVED to have those threads shut down THEN. However, my thoughts were that people had the right to have these threads. And they still do now.

If there was no push to turn this site back into it's original purpose, why do it now?

baychef said:
This should have been asked for when everything started up politically anyway. As long as everyone has been having a great time tearing each other down, why close them now?

I am not mad at you, Janet. For the last 2 or more months this site has turned friends into enemies. I would have LOVED to have those threads shut down THEN. However, my thoughts were that people had the right to have these threads. And they still do now.

If there was no push to turn this site back into it's original purpose, why do it now?

Interesting viewpoint Ann...I'm not mad at you either. :D

Anyway, I was looking at it from a logic, forum moderation standpoint. I agree we should be free to speak and they should be open UNLESS it becomes personal attacks and gets bad, hence, why I am asking the question to see if anyone agreed. Our "freedom" is subject to the "owner" in this case.

I truly thought all was still good until I read a few select comments last night that were over the edge and sent people reeling.

Greg did state at the beginning that it would be allowed as long as people behaved. So I am wondering if the threshold has been crossed or people still think it is fine. It'll be interesting to see...

Again, with computers, emotion is not always shown so I am saying this as a peacemaker and an observer.

Things have not been ok at all. There have been many that have either left or may not log on for weeks. I am one of many that have been totally turned off from the political discussions.

Those feelings of hurt you had last night is how many have felt everytime they log on here. I have a new consultant I discovered on here. I want her to find the same support and idea sharing that we all have experienced.

There is a time and a place for political discussions but it is not here. If this was labeled a political site this would be different. One would have to take their licks just as their oponent would have to. Instead, I wrote on CS once that political and religious beliefs start forming in the home. We have kindergarten children voting....and you know they didn't watch debates, polls or anything else to form an opinion.

Those that have chosen to talk politics on this site did so out of their belief system and they are passionate about it. Then feelings get hurt, but then they need to come back to get a flyer or a recipe...then they read a thread that just makes their blood boil and they have to state their opinion. Then all hell breaks loose as it has been for the last 3 months or so on here.

The people that voted for Obama are happy and they are told they are "drinking koolaid"? And that is mild compaired to what I am sure has been said. To me? It looks as if those who have been vocal about not liking Obama want the threads closed because it hurts. It does hurt and for many...it has hurt for a very long time. Political beliefs have come before respect of one another. That hurts me more than anything.

I personally wasn't hurt Ann, even though I've been called a hate-talker and other things. I too am normally always described as a peacemaker. I missed the Kool-aid comment and am glad. Because when I heard it originally it was on the other side of things. Sad that it was brought up again and especially when it refers to that crazy lady and her anti-PC spot.I do think we should have had an election sub-group like other forums and like we do for Leadership. Then the Lounge wouldn't have been cluttered. I don't want the threads closed "because it hurts" but because it just won't end. Specific viewpoints get bumped. I closed the side to end it and move on but the same respect wasn't given to the matching thread. Oh well, I cannot control that.Thank you for your perspective Ann, I appreciate reading it.(Oh, by the way, my new recruit doesn't even know of this site yet - I didn't want her distracted either!)

I understand. I have wanted this to end for months but the train wreck just kept on coming. Now, we have to let both sides express their feelings and give them time to wind down. Passions are still high. This election had the most voters since 1908!!! The nation is passionate.

Personally, we have links to missing sites, cat sites, cafe express site...so let's get this off this site and bring it to another link. That's my 2 cents!

Gotta run. I hope we all can start moving on soon but also work together. Some are making people who voted for Obama look like a bunch of morons with no brain and that they will believe anything. Please, folks let's all check our passion before we type. Words can hurt.

baychef said:
Again, with computers, emotion is not always shown so I am saying this as a peacemaker and an observer.

Things have not been ok at all. There have been many that have either left or may not log on for weeks. I am one of many that have been totally turned off from the political discussions.

Those feelings of hurt you had last night is how many have felt everytime they log on here. I have a new consultant I discovered on here. I want her to find the same support and idea sharing that we all have experienced.

There is a time and a place for political discussions but it is not here. If this was labeled a political site this would be different. One would have to take their licks just as their oponent would have to. Instead, I wrote on CS once that political and religious beliefs start forming in the home. We have kindergarten children voting....and you know they didn't watch debates, polls or anything else to form an opinion.

Those that have chosen to talk politics on this site did so out of their belief system and they are passionate about it. Then feelings get hurt, but then they need to come back to get a flyer or a recipe...then they read a thread that just makes their blood boil and they have to state their opinion. Then all hell breaks loose as it has been for the last 3 months or so on here.

The people that voted for Obama are happy and they are told they are "drinking koolaid"? And that is mild compaired to what I am sure has been said. To me? It looks as if those who have been vocal about not liking Obama want the threads closed because it hurts. It does hurt and for many...it has hurt for a very long time. Political beliefs have come before respect of one another. That hurts me more than anything.

Well said Ann. The part I highlighted is exactly where I was. Several times I stated I was done and then I'd come back and read what was posted and I just couldn't help myself but to post - I felt like the other side should have a chance to be heard too - and it started again. I'm not innocent here but neither is anyone who chose to post on those threads. We all hold accountability.

Aside: In defense to why I chose to not close the "What I like..." thread if it was a "What scares me..." or other negative thread (as the title implies to me) but it is meant to be and is mostly a positive thread so I don't feel it's the same thing at all but we are all welcome to our own opinions.

So what about those scraper collections??

baychef said:

I agree wholeheartedly with you Ann. Months ago I begged for these kinds of threads to be closed and locked. I was obviously ignored. I think they should stay open now. Now that you didn't get what you wanted you want to shut it down and say, "let's all stop talking about it", but that is not fair. This can of worms was opened...so be it! I have tried to ignore the threads that I knew would get my blood boiling. Sometimes I was successful, but sometimes I was not. I know that I definitely limited my time here and that's a shame. I think once everyone decides that they are here for their business everything will get back to normal (or our state of normal anyway). Until then you'll have to exhibit individual restraint.

Chef Kearns said:
I agree wholeheartedly with you Ann. Months ago I begged for these kinds of threads to be closed and locked. I was obviously ignored. I think they should stay open now. Now that you didn't get what you wanted you want to shut it down and say, "let's all stop talking about it", but that is not fair. This can of worms was opened...so be it! I have tried to ignore the threads that I knew would get my blood boiling. Sometimes I was successful, but sometimes I was not. I know that I definitely limited my time here and that's a shame. I think once everyone decides that they are here for their business everything will get back to normal (or our state of normal anyway). Until then you'll have to exhibit individual restraint.

I find that viewpoint interesting. Why? You decide...if I state it, it will be skewed.

Anyway, the "other side" as you guys put it did not start with negativity but started with a very positive thread which was quickly trashed and forced the "What scares me thread"...which made someone post the "what I like about thread" that then gave means to tout one as "negative" and one as "positive".

If your open viewpoint holds true, maybe we should reopen ALL of them bump them all and let it be a free-for-all.

(Not that I agree, just playing devil's advocate and analyzing the supposed logic of the argument).

Back to watching the poll again and seeing what people really think when they aren't afraid to vote and not have to say anything or who they are...

Group Hug!!!! :)

colegrovet said:
Group Hug!!!! :)

Ewww...boy cooties! :yuck:

(Couldn't resist that joke!) :p

i had thought it would be nice to have a political subgroup - maybe under the chefs lounge. but - i usually just look at new posts anyway unless i am looking for something specific. & - up until a few months ago, i hardly remember politics being brought up at all. but i think that even if all the 2008 election threads are archived and locked, if someone has something new to say, they will just start a new thread. so why not just keep everything open & free for discussion?? but thats just my opinion :D

My thoughts?
Altho I dont get on here as often as Id like, I do have an opinion ;)I'd rather have not seen ANY political stuff. Religious, either. Its just asking for an arguement. Personal stuff even kept to a minimum.I come to this place to help work my business. Tips, tricks, ideas, products and anything PC wise people would like to share. The rest of it I ignore. But it seems sometimes hard to wade through all of the other stuff.I'd hate to suggest this (cause I've seen it on other boards) but maybe move the personal stuff to another board if you just want to chat with your friends?

i wouldn't mind a political subthread. wading through all the political threads was getting pretty bad there for a while. i know i had to stop reading them all together. i realized it was like watching Britney have her break down last year, it was horrible but it was so hard to look away. the election is over now and it may not have come out they way i wanted, but it might be nice to have a place where we can discuss politically natured topics. a subthread would let us know ahead of time its political. i hope that made sense. JMO
michelle

I don't care if Greg starts a politco forum or not, in fact, in might not be a bad idea. I don't visit several forums because they are of little interest to me, and that's the way people could look at a political forum.And remember, Greg started all this with a thread about Barry. If nothing else, Greg, how about adding some thread flags, like the URGENT flag, that we could add so people can avoid them or get the message. Like:
POLITICAL
RELIGION
HUMOR (for people who don't get the spirit of certain threads, like the Sneaky Cops thread.)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I don't care if Greg starts a politco forum or not, in fact, in might not be a bad idea. I don't visit several forums because they are of little interest to me, and that's the way people could look at a political forum.

And remember, Greg started all this with a thread about Barry.

If nothing else, Greg, how about adding some thread flags, like the URGENT flag, that we could add so people can avoid them or get the message.

Like:
POLITICAL
RELIGION
HUMOR (for people who don't get the spirit of certain threads, like the Sneaky Cops thread.)

i like it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I don't care if Greg starts a politco forum or not, in fact, in might not be a bad idea. I don't visit several forums because they are of little interest to me, and that's the way people could look at a political forum.

If nothing else, Greg, how about adding some thread flags, like the URGENT flag, that we could add so people can avoid them or get the message.

Like:
POLITICAL
RELIGION

I thought it started with the thread about McCain picking Palin...

You are right Linda. TKG I agree with your idea. I think it is a good one and would be very helpful when clicking "New Posts".

When you click on New Post you can see what Forum it is in.

I am all for organization but I think that at some point Greg is going to tell us he is doing enough already and cannot handle all our wishes. Or go up on the annual fee.

One can wish. Especially if we cannot remain civil, which we haven't. Sure it wasn't as bad as some places, but it was pretty darn BAD!

Mwalker said:
I'd rather have not seen ANY political stuff. Religious, either. Its just asking for an arguement. Personal stuff even kept to a minimum.

I come to this place to help work my business. Tips, tricks, ideas, products and anything PC wise people would like to share. The rest of it I ignore. But it seems sometimes hard to wade through all of the other stuff.

I'm new here, but this is my feeling exactly. I'm on several message boards and I'm used to navigating with the "new posts" button - it is the fastest and most effective way for me to see what topics are active and where people have responded to my posts. Here, I find that at any given time, 30% or more of "new posts" are off topic, and frequently political, which can be very off putting. As I type this, 10 of the first 25 posts are not about PC. I don't mind there being a part of the board that is off topic, but I'd prefer not to have to wade through it to get the information I'm coming for.

When you're new and negative threads about something you're passionate about, and which aren't related to the topic at hand, are constantly pushed to the front of "new posts," it can absolutely be enough to discourage membership. It has definitely discouraged me from participating in Chef's Lounge.

Mwalker said:
My thoughts?
Altho I dont get on here as often as Id like, I do have an opinion ;)

I'd rather have not seen ANY political stuff. Religious, either. Its just asking for an arguement. Personal stuff even kept to a minimum.

I come to this place to help work my business. Tips, tricks, ideas, products and anything PC wise people would like to share. The rest of it I ignore. But it seems sometimes hard to wade through all of the other stuff.

I'd hate to suggest this (cause I've seen it on other boards) but maybe move the personal stuff to another board if you just want to chat with your friends?

I LOVE YOU!!!! I suggested this too but it went on.

Janet, this has nothing to do with you personally, AT ALL! I know you were playing devil's advocate, but what you suggested in a joking way is exactly what has been going on. People are reacting and writing...very dangerous.

There are some that can discuss politics with out getting worked up but I know of very few...if any! We come to the polls with sometimes generations of political and religious beliefs. There was a site that Greg created a while back that disappeared. I really suggest that it be opened again and people debate there. We all are trying to convince the other why our party is better than the other hoping to find some agreement. We inherently like to get along (well, unless I am PMSing!!!). But our beliefs are vast. The people that founded our nation came together with their vast beliefs and formed an astounding document that has been followed happily for years. We all need to remind ourselves of that and try to work together.

This county has so many serious issues to deal with. We don't live in a perfect system but improving our country's issues starts with us each one of us individually.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Like:
POLITICAL
RELIGION

I want to add to my list:

TMI

(Check out Leg Aches After C Section etc.)

:D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I want to add to my list:

TMI

(Check out Leg Aches After C Section etc.)

:D

Or we could name it...Things about what women go through that make KG queezy!!

They were mild!!! You must have some great things to share with us given what you have been through with your health!! Come on, KG, let it go...share!! We want details!!:D

Nah, truth be told, I see threads like that and I just skip 'em. I only opened it to make a link.What would you like to hear about? Spending 60 hours in an air compres...nah, you don't want to read about that stuff.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Nah, truth be told, I see threads like that and I just skip 'em. I only opened it to make a link.

What would you like to hear about? Spending 60 hours in an air compres...nah, you don't want to read about that stuff.

Actually, that was quite the interesting read. I found the technology and medical aspects fascinating.

Ann - I was laughing at your PMS comment. I usually don't have any mood swings and stuff (trust me though, DH will verify I'm 100% woman). Anyway, there is a person at work that we all mark our calendars to avoid during her PMS time - she is that bad!!!! ...and then I got thinking...at any one time we have AT LEAST 10% of the CS board PMSing... Oh my! :p

Hasn't that been rather obvious the last few days?Turning, ducking, holding hands over head...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Hasn't that been rather obvious the last few days?

Turning, ducking, holding hands over head...
LOL out loud!:D

Going to bed, I'll respond tomorrow :D

Admin Greg said:
Going to bed, I'll respond tomorrow :D

...and what were you doing up partying at 1 a.m. young man?

(Do I sound like your mother??!??!)

I think it would be a better idea to just lock the current political threads and let them drown. I will make some prefixes in a second.

I think that is kind of sad. It has been a open forum for months now and if people are going to tear each other down, they will do that anyway. This was one of the largest elections of our time and things have been discussed and hashed out.

All religious threads should be shut down too if political ones are shut down. Just my opinion.

janetupnorth said:
Actually, that was quite the interesting read. I found the technology and medical aspects fascinating.

Ann - I was laughing at your PMS comment. I usually don't have any mood swings and stuff (trust me though, DH will verify I'm 100% woman). Anyway, there is a person at work that we all mark our calendars to avoid during her PMS time - she is that bad!!!! ...and then I got thinking...at any one time we have AT LEAST 10% of the CS board PMSing... Oh my! :p

Ummm...wait til you hit 50....you will scare even yourself!! Avoiding yourself is not easy at all!!

And KG...the chamber was facinating...at least for us!! No...we want surgeries, infected wounds...you know this thing that make you go :yuck:

If I may say a small bit about "religious threads."I agree if it's an argument kind of thing ... but most threads with a religious tone are simply prayer requests or posting about their faith as a major part of their life. I, personally, would never get into an argument over religion any more than I would argue with somebody over their spouse or kids.I hope political chatter dies down. I will stay out of them.

I agree with keeping prayer requests.

baychef said:
Ummm...wait til you hit 50....you will scare even yourself!! Avoiding yourself is not easy at all!!

And KG...the chamber was facinating...at least for us!! No...we want surgeries, infected wounds...you know this thing that make you go :yuck:

Oh, I'm sorry, there really isn't anything gross and disgusting in my recent past, if you don't count the scar on my neck that makes me look like I was in a knife fight.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oh, I'm sorry, there really isn't anything gross and disgusting in my recent past, if you don't count the scar on my neck that makes me look like I was in a knife fight.

Well a well healed scar is not :yuck: enough!!! My Dad has two of those on each side. He had a half a lung removed 20 years ago (huge scar from his chest circling to his back)and double knee replacements 2 years ago...he is starting to resemble a quilt!! Just as long as he is happy and still cracking jokes...we'll take him any way we can!

You need to watch more birthing tapes and surgical shows....we have to toughen you up for the C-sections, etc.

Mrmph. I'm never going to have to endure root canal again, either.

The words root canal inflict images of pain and the whine of dental drills...hmmmm...a C-section is starting to sound like a better alternative!!

I'll never have to endure either one. :D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'll never have to endure either one. :D

Me, neither! Another good reason to avoid doctors and dentists - then they can't tell you that you need some expensive, painful procedure.

baychef said:
I think that is kind of sad. It has been a open forum for months now and if people are going to tear each other down, they will do that anyway. This was one of the largest elections of our time and things have been discussed and hashed out.

All religious threads should be shut down too if political ones are shut down. Just my opinion.

My Mamaw used to say that even an old turd would stink just as bad if you keep stirring it. We're beating a dead horse. Let Greg lock the political ones and let's get back to work!

He put some nice tags out there.

pcchefjane said:
My Mamaw used to say that even an old turd would stink just as bad if you keep stirring it. We're beating a dead horse. Let Greg lock the political ones and let's get back to work!

Well I had suggested months ago that these be shut down. The horse has already turned to leather and made into shoes.

I was working the last 3 months when this was going on. It really looks like now that the unpopular candidate on this site won, we don't need to talk about it. My posts on here with politics is how can we come together. When I was beating this drum months ago, it was ignored and the dead horse was being beat all day every day.

My parents and grandparents always suggested not to talk politics and religion.

And I LOVE the tags, Greg, thanks.

I do too... I was a little confused about them and realized what they were. Do we add them or does Greg?

You do, when you create a new thread.Since Greg is all-knowing and all-seeing, he can retrofit the tags to appropriate threads...like if he takes me up on adding a TMI tag and adds it to the pregnancy threads.:D

koima said:
I'm new here, but this is my feeling exactly. I'm on several message boards and I'm used to navigating with the "new posts" button - it is the fastest and most effective way for me to see what topics are active and where people have responded to my posts. Here, I find that at any given time, 30% or more of "new posts" are off topic, and frequently political, which can be very off putting. As I type this, 10 of the first 25 posts are not about PC. I don't mind there being a part of the board that is off topic, but I'd prefer not to have to wade through it to get the information I'm coming for.

When you're new and negative threads about something you're passionate about, and which aren't related to the topic at hand, are constantly pushed to the front of "new posts," it can absolutely be enough to discourage membership. It has definitely discouraged me from participating in Chef's Lounge.

You can subscribe to a thread, and receive email notification when there is a response if that's what you are looking for.

Since you are new, you probably don't realize that it's that way all of the the time - whether it's election time of not. Many of us have been here for a long time, there are myriads of friendships that have been formed, and we aren't going to keep it to just business - that's impossible when talking to friends. Even when I call or email my director, or women on my own team, we don't just talk business. The business relationship is solidified and made stronger by the friendships that are forged.

This is an online community for Pampered Chefs, but it's not all about business. It's really simple to avoid the non-pc threads, just scroll through the areas you are interested int (bookings, sales, etc...) instead of hitting new posts.
LOL - but don't be surprised if those quickly turn off topic too...because that happens alot around here!:D:D

If you are looking for sites that are more strictly business, I know that there are some on YAHOO. They are harder to navigate, though - that's probably why they stay more on-topic.:D

Related to How Many Would Like Greg to Move All 2008 Election Threads?

1. Can I still access the 2008 election threads and results if they are moved to a sub-group and archived?

Yes, the threads and results will still be accessible in the designated sub-group and archive.

2. Will moving the 2008 election threads affect any current discussions or conversations?

No, the move will not affect any current discussions or conversations as they will remain in their respective locations.

3. How long will the 2008 election threads and results be kept in the sub-group and archive?

The threads and results will be kept indefinitely in the sub-group and archive for future reference.

4. Can I still participate in discussions about the 2008 election in the sub-group?

Yes, the sub-group will still allow for discussions and conversations about the 2008 election.

5. Who can see the results of this poll?

The results of this poll will only be visible to the person conducting the poll and will not be seen by others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Admin Greg