• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Many Potatoes for Smashed Potato Soup?

In summary, Ann used 6 potatoes for a double batch and grated onion on top for a more flavorful soup.
smilesarepriceless
Gold Member
For those of you who made the recipe with REAL potatoes, how many potatoes did you use..?

Real potatoes of course sounds better to me personally, but if anyone ever has made this w/ both real, and the already refrigerated mashed potatoes, I'd love your opinion on which is better...of if you can tell the difference..

I'm doing this for a FRIDAY show..

I've made it with real potatoes at home and at shows I used the Idahoan instant. (3 packages for a double batch) I really couldn't tell the difference from regular potatoes and it is so much quicker with the instant. I used 6 baker potatoes for a double batch.

Heather, you do know that the refrigerated mashed potatoes are REAL potatoes, right? I don't have a package here, but I think there are about 3 cups in the 20 oz. package.

Thanks CHEFF ANN!!

I'm excited to see how this goes..

I just scooped out whatever my hosts gave me:p ! LOL! My host on the 30th weighed her potatoes to make sure they were the right weight. I just put whatever they handed over to me into the DCB. The first time I followed the recipe. I thought it was a little bland. The second time I grated some onion on the UM and it really perked up the flavor!!

Chef Kearns said:
I just scooped out whatever my hosts gave me:p ! LOL! My host on the 30th weighed her potatoes to make sure they were the right weight. I just put whatever they handed over to me into the DCB. The first time I followed the recipe. I thought it was a little bland. The second time I grated some onion on the UM and it really perked up the flavor!!
I've always added onion to this recipe too - I can't imagine using carrots and celery in a soup without onion.....the first time I made it, I just assumed there were onions in it until I read the recipe better.It's also really good if you use the refrigerated sour cream & chive mashed potatoes!

Potato purist here....

I used real potatoes, that I cooked and mashed with my own little hands, and my mix and masher of course! I had enough to almost fill the batter bowl when I did a double batch.

I know some will say that the refridgerated ones are real, but for me, they're just not.

And to offer a suggestion to those who find it bland: drop some BACON into it!!! I know this totally blows my "good, healthy whole food cook" image that I try to project, but I can't help myself. I love bacon. Funny thing is that I didn't eat bacon, or other pork, or beef for that matter for 25 years. Then all of a sudden, hormones, or whatever kicked in and I can't resist bacon.

PamperChefCarol said:
Potato purist here....

I used real potatoes, that I cooked and mashed with my own little hands, and my mix and masher of course! I had enough to almost fill the batter bowl when I did a double batch.

I know some will say that the refridgerated ones are real, but for me, they're just not.

And to offer a suggestion to those who find it bland: drop some BACON into it!!! I know this totally blows my "good, healthy whole food cook" image that I try to project, but I can't help myself. I love bacon. Funny thing is that I didn't eat bacon, or other pork, or beef for that matter for 25 years. Then all of a sudden, hormones, or whatever kicked in and I can't resist bacon.

for some reason that struck me as funny, I'm remembering the old Snausages commerical, "I smell BACON":D :D

I made this for my last show and we put in 3 cups....it doesn't have to be exact though.....I also like it better with the potato a little chunky....just tasted better to me.....
Hope that helps!!!

I feel like I am missing out on a great recipe! Where is this recipe for Mashed Potato soup?

I believe it's in the It's Good for You Cookbook. I think someone also posted it here in a thread if you don't have that book.

sddmom2 said:
I feel like I am missing out on a great recipe! Where is this recipe for Mashed Potato soup?

Here's the way Ann did it in the DCB in the microwave and I'm still searching for the original recipe for you :)

I just made this at 2 shows yesterday, but I did it in the DCB in the microwave. Here's what I did.

Peel 1 med. carrot and slice using crinkle blade of UM. Place in DCB.
Thinly slice 1 stalk of celery and place in DCB.
Chop 1/2 med. onion with Food Chopper and add to other veggies.
Cover and Microwave on high 4 minutes.
Add 1 tub (20 oz.) prepared mashed potatoes, 1 can chicken broth and 1 cup skim milk (measured with Easy Read cup). Press in 1 clove garlic. Add some salt and pepper. Whisk everything together with Stainless Silicone whisk.
Cover and microwave 5 minutes. Stir. Cook another 4 minutes.
Measure 1/2 cup low fat sour cream with MAC. Add to soup. Cook 2 minutes.
Snip some parsley in cup of Herb Keeper with Kitchen Shears. Sprinkle into soup and serve. Serve with grated cheddar cheese (DCG) and sliced green onions on the side. (I was going to have bacon, too, but my oven was out yesterday morning and I couldn't cook it.)

I served the soup with garlic bites.

Here's the original recipe...

Smashed Potato Soup
(It's Good For You!...pg 59)

1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrot
1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
1 (1 lb, 4 oz) pkg refrigerated mashed potatoes
1 (14 1/2 oz) can 99% fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 Tbls snipped fresh parsley
Optional toppings: sliced green onions, reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese and crisply cooked, crumbled turkey bacon

1. Coarsely chop carrot and celery using Food Chopper. Place mashed potatoes in Medium (3 qt) Saucepan. Gradually add broth and milk, whisking until mixture is smooth using Nylon Spiral Whisk. Stir in carrot, celery, garlic pressed with Garlic Press, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.

2. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and parsley. Ladle soup into bowls; top with desired toppings.

Makes 4 servings.

To make in the Deep Covered Baker in the microwave:
Saute the carrots, onion, and celery in the DCB - covered - for about 4 minutes. Add all the rest of ingredients, except sour cream & parsley, and heat in microwave for about 8 minutes (covered). Add sour cream, heat for 2 more minutes, and then add parsley. Stir, and serve.

Deannasbiz said:
I made this for my last show and we put in 3 cups....it doesn't have to be exact though.....I also like it better with the potato a little chunky....just tasted better to me.....
Hope that helps!!!
I thought it would have been better with the potato chunky. I think the next time I make it, I'm going to add some small pieces of boiled potatoes in addition to the mashed. I'm not going to cut down on the mashed, because I like my soup thick. BTW, onions help to thicken it, too. I made the soup at 2 shows last weekend, one with onions and one without (one of the guests couldn't eat them). The batch with onions was thicker.

Do you make a single batch of this for your shows or do you double?

About how much onion do you add (1/4 cup?)?

I made this at home using real potatoes. We stirred some sour cream in ours and topped with more bacon ,cheese and green onions. We loved it!!!

chefjeanine said:
Do you make a single batch of this for your shows or do you double?

About how much onion do you add (1/4 cup?)?

When I've made it at shows, I generally double it. And my real scientific measurement of the onion is: enough. ;) Probably one small yellow onion, chopped. (It's soup, not rocket science.)

chefann said:
When I've made it at shows, I generally double it. And my real scientific measurement of the onion is: enough. ;) Probably one small yellow onion, chopped. (It's soup, not rocket science.)

Thanks, Ann. I didn't think a single recipe would be enough but wanted to check with someone who had actually made it (at a show or otherwise). :blushing:

Related to How Many Potatoes for Smashed Potato Soup?

What ingredients are needed for Smashed Potato Soup?

The ingredients needed for Smashed Potato Soup are potatoes, chicken or vegetable broth, butter, milk, sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon, green onions, salt, and pepper.

How do I make Smashed Potato Soup?

To make Smashed Potato Soup, start by boiling and mashing the potatoes. In a separate pot, heat the broth and butter. Slowly add the mashed potatoes, milk, and sour cream to the broth mixture. Stir in the cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onions. Cook for an additional 10 minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Can I make Smashed Potato Soup ahead of time?

Yes, you can make Smashed Potato Soup ahead of time. After cooking, let the soup cool and then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave before serving.

What substitutions can I make for certain ingredients in Smashed Potato Soup?

You can substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth and use non-dairy alternatives such as almond milk and vegan cheese to make this soup vegetarian or dairy-free. You can also omit the bacon or use turkey bacon for a healthier option.

Can I freeze Smashed Potato Soup?

Yes, you can freeze Smashed Potato Soup. Let the soup cool completely and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stove or in the microwave before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• soulsing
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
EfficientPCKitchen
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies