• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Effectively Distribute Catalogs and Order Forms During Your Demo?

In summary, the demo lasts about 40 minutes, and the host expects order forms and catalogs to be taken after the demo.
mommyhugz1978
Gold Member
I am curious how long your demo last? And how early do you arrive at the host house???

When do you hand out catalogs and order forms?? I had a routine down but the past couple of shows..... have been very different and about half way through my demo they want order forms and catalogs becasue someone has to leave......I hand out catalogs and order forms after my demo...... that way their paying attention to me...... BUT I am thinking about going back to the other way....:grumpy: :(

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

I usually get to the host's house about 45 minutes before show time. That gives me time to set up and prep. If I haven't picked up the ingredients, and I need to do ALL the prep there, I aim for 1 hour before show time.

Generally, I pass out my guest folders (manila file folder w/ catalog, order form, and recruiting brochure) at the beginning of the show. It's just easier than putting up with "When do we get a catalog?" questions every 10 seconds. :rolleyes: My demo is usually about 40 minutes, although I've had poorly-attended no-cook shows when I've been done in 20 minutes. And large group demo shows where I'm pushing an hour. It really depends on the crowd and how many times they interrupt with questions and comments.

I hand out catalogs before, but only because i had never thought about them not paying attention. Honestly they do pay attention to me.. i have the occasional "talkers" but it usually goes well. And then if someone mentions and item i dont have to demo, i can say yeah check it out on pg "___" And they all get attention to that product. Try it once and see how they act. If they are wild, take it back. .. Or another thing, before you start ask if there is anyone that will be leaving early.. and ask them to let you know before they have to go, and you can give them a catalog..? hope that helps!! ;)

Ann, How do you make your demo so short.. do you bake/prepare before hand?

Oh and im sorry i didnt include this info, I get there an hr early, with all the ingredients, and I think.. i think my demo lasts usually 45-1hr. . i want to shorten mine though.
So far, i only give the catty and order form.. i wonder if i should start giving a folder?? I hate to waste the ink and paper if they dont take them or pay attention to the extra flyers... hmm.?

Heather,

I hand out the folders so they have someplace to take notes, and have a place to keep receipts. I print labels to put on the folder tabs that have my info on them, so even if they lose a catalog, if they kept the file with their other important papers, they can contact me. It also gives them a place to jot down quick tips, etc. that I share.

I try to have most of the prep done ahead - which is why I like to pick up the ingredients. I can have them washed, and have most of the work already done at my house, leaving a small piece for the demo. I also pre-bake crusts, etc. so they're cooled (and done right). I do ONE recipe, unless there's going to be a large number of people there, or I'm going something really simple. Like my show tomorrow is 30-minute chicken, so I'm also making Apple-Berry Salsa. (Of course, that one is an investment cooking show, and the host is expecting it to be like a class, so it will probably run long.)

The really short shows I've had have been no-demo shows, with 3 or fewer guests. I just never feel like going through my whole shpiel for those (I know, my bad).

The past couple of shows I have demoed the Jerk Chicken Nachos....... I buy the ingredients as well..... But it seems like it is a longer demo........

Thank you very much ann for the info. I appreciate it!!

I give the catalog & order form before I start.

I arrive @ 45 mins before the party.

From the time I start talking until I'm ready to take orders is @ 45 mins. It could go longer if I have chatty people.

I arrive 30 minutes early and have catalogs, pens and order forms placed in chairs. I prep half of my recipe and put it in order so that I don't have to think just grab and talk while i do the demo. I talk a bit first, thank the host, do intros and discuss host benefits and my 30 sec commercial. Then I make the recipe. While it is either cooking or setting I do a game and run through upcoming specials. Then we are finished. It typically takes about 1 hour to do all of this. Then the next half hour is spent with the guests eating and me taking orders. It can definitely go longer with a rowdy crowd or lots of questions but at that point they are keeping me there and not the other way around. I don't find giving out the catalogs in advance to be a problem. I want my guests to have a good time so even if they only hear half of what I say we are doing good! :)

I do exactly what Ann does, and my demo is usually 40-45 minutes. I do alot of prep.....and I try to choose simple recipes that demo the most amount of products in the least amount of time.........I think you get better at choosing those as you get more comfortable with doing shows.

Does anyone ever have kind of a set routine that they do their demo in?? Or particular order in which you talk about products?? I generally have an order that I talk about products... last night I was all over the place becasue everyone was throwing me questions left and right.... and I was having a hard time remembering where I was.

Leah, I don't have a set routine for every show, because it depends on what I am demoing.....but I do write out an outline for every show, so that I can keep track of where I am in the show.....and also, so I can remember the host's name!;) When you are doing 3 shows a week, sometimes they run together a little bit!

ChefBeckyD said:
Leah, I don't have a set routine for every show, because it depends on what I am demoing.....but I do write out an outline for every show, so that I can keep track of where I am in the show.....and also, so I can remember the host's name!;) When you are doing 3 shows a week, sometimes they run together a little bit!

Yeah that would be me this week..........:eek: my head is swimming LOL!!! I am not used to doing three shows a week... but I am getting the hang of it ........... I haven't through about doing a demo outline..... do you have a sample of yours?

I try to start with a "Top 5" list of things you NEED in your kitchen. I list: stoneware, cookware, forged cutlery, cutting boards, and then whatever item is on sale that month. Notice that they're all high-end items. :) That way, you've already mentioned and done a little bit of talking about the bigger things before you lose control of the crowd. We've all been there, done that. :D One wording that my AD uses for the knives is with the Santuko. She tells the crowd that, "You don't just need it - you DESERVE this knife. It will make your life in the kitchen so much easier blah blah blah." Then it sounds like a treat, and not such a drudgery to buy a knife.

That helps a great deal Ann....... it gives me some suggestions........ I mean I must not be doing to bad... becasue between last night's show and the night before I have a total of three bookings........ But I want my demo to go alot smoother....

OK i know many are probally wondering this. What type of recipes do you make that are little prep time, show alot of products??

feather18 said:
OK i know many are probally wondering this. What type of recipes do you make that are little prep time, show alot of products??

I know the jerk chicken nachos are little prep and show lots of products!!! .....

oh and if you could post a sample of your outline would be great thanks!

My outline is more of a checklist for me.....here goes:

This is on 3 4x6 Cards:

PRE-SHOW: (1st card)

Set up check out area
Set up Display of new products
Have host make Brie w/ bread
Prep Pizzas -
slice 1 tomato
chop walnuts
slice 1/2 of pizza dough
grate 1/2 of Parmesan

Set up demo area
Make Cran Fizz
Preheat oven
Get ready to greet guests

SHOW (2nd card)
WELCOME! first timers? You are in for a treat! - outline show
Thank Host! (Insert name) Thank past host! (insert name) give both a gift
Explain Host's other gifts she will receive tonight
Guest Special for the evening
Introduce myself......tell brief story...promising more to come later!
Ask about Brie (they have helped themselves to brie & drinks before the party starts) Briefly explain how it was made.....Bites and Bevs recipe
Tell about other theme choices
Demo Pesto Pizzas
Focus on: Stoneware
UM
Microplane
Forged Cutlery
Put pizzas in oven
Do ice-cube demo...talk again about Host Bonus......leading into talk about Simple Additions
Show SA pieces......talk about great sale in Nov!

CLOSING (3rd card)

Take Pizzas out of oven
Share my story (2-3 minutes)
Now 3 more minutes for Housekeeping items and you can continue eating!
Go over Guest Special again
Go over host bonus for Nov
Fill out together Guest Care Cards
Do drawing for free shipping
Explain check-out procedure
Thank them again for coming and for being such a great group!

Thanks!!!!! Do you find that your show goes alot smoother????

That sounds great Becky! What type of gift do you give the host and past host, and when you talk about the other gifts she will recieve tonight, what do you give her? Or do you mean Host Benifits?
I am going to start doing that, and then that will help me stay on track when i get interupted!

mommyhugz1978 said:
Thanks!!!!! Do you find that your show goes alot smoother????
LOL! I get off track so easily, that if I didn't have an outline, I would just be rambling the whole night......and my demo would be 2x as long with 1/2 the info:rolleyes: !

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL! I get off track so easily, that if I didn't have an outline, I would just be rambling the whole night......and my demo would be 2x as long with 1/2 the info:rolleyes: !

I think I am going to make an outline and see if it helps me with my show tonight........ what type of gift do you give to your host and past host?

feather18 said:
That sounds great Becky! What type of gift do you give the host and past host, and when you talk about the other gifts she will recieve tonight, what do you give her? Or do you mean Host Benifits?
I am going to start doing that, and then that will help me stay on track when i get interupted!

It depends for the gift....sometimes the SB, sometimes for repeat hosts I just let them choose from my gift basket.
Yes - when I talk about the "other gifts" I am talking about our host benefits. I also include the past host in this, letting people know that PC is the gift that keeps on giving for a year after your show!

ChefBeckyD said:
It depends for the gift....sometimes the SB, sometimes for repeat hosts I just let them choose from my gift basket.
Yes - when I talk about the "other gifts" I am talking about our host benefits. I also include the past host in this, letting people know that PC is the gift that keeps on giving for a year after your show!

What kind of gifts do you have in your basket???? I don't' have a basket.. I have a little tote that I have gifts in.....

I have past seasons SB, quik cut knives, twixits, mini-whippers, bamboo tongs, etc.....just stuff off from the supply order. I let my past host also choose a gift, and talk about how much I appreciate my hosts.

Im with leah, what type of gifts? I have a tote too. But i have the cheapest on the supply order(dont have alot of money) like orange peelers, Nylon Scrapers, stuff like that , pairing knifes,

When you talk about the Host benifits as a gift, how do you say it to make it sound like a gift? what would your script be for that?

Sorry Becky to hound you! But thanks for giving the info! It really helps!

ChefBeckyD said:
I have past seasons SB, quik cut knives, twixits, mini-whippers, bamboo tongs, etc.....just stuff off from the supply order. I let my past host also choose a gift, and talk about how much I appreciate my hosts.

that is what I have in mine too......do you give a gift to the person who brought a friend???

I have the same stuff for gifts that you do.

What I say is usually something like this:

Now, this is just the start of the good things that Donna will receive for hosting tonight. The Pampered Chef LOVES to treat hosts to lots of free, half-price, and discounted product! In fact, most of my hosts receive at least $90 in FREE product, 2 1/2 price items, and a 25% off shopping spree - just for inviting friends into their home for a great evening of food, fun, and friends!

ChefBeckyD said:
I have the same stuff for gifts that you do.

What I say is usually something like this:

Now, this is just the start of the good things that Donna will receive for hosting tonight. The Pampered Chef LOVES to treat hosts to lots of free, half-price, and discounted product! In fact, most of my hosts receive at least $90 in FREE product, 2 1/2 price items, and a 25% off shopping spree - just for inviting friends into their home for a great evening of food, fun, and friends!

That's cute!!!! Have you ever heard of the three boxes to entice for bookings??

mommyhugz1978 said:
That's cute!!!! Have you ever heard of the three boxes to entice for bookings??

No - what are the 3 boxes?

Ooh leah Please share the three boxes!! Oh and becky, that is what i figured just wanted to hear how it sounded! Thanks for posting!

Basically what it is... (I got mine at Michaels) their little chineese shaped boxes with poka dots on them. I have a photo of an product in their... IE white kitchen brush, mix n chop.... if they book a party at the show and set the date..... they get to pick a box......what ever is in side is a gift I give to them from me at their show... but they must hold and close their show... in order to receive it....

That is a cute idea! I had heard from someone that they use those wire picture holders, and put the picture of the product on those, but i like the boxes, that i will raise peoples curiosity!! Thanks Leah!

feather18 said:
That is a cute idea! I had heard from someone that they use those wire picture holders, and put the picture of the product on those, but i like the boxes, that i will raise peoples curiosity!! Thanks Leah!
Some people put date... on a piece of paper and tape it to the box..... for the dates that they want to book... But I found that I get more response if they just book a show!!! with out the date taped to the box!!!

Yeah, and make them feel pressured. Thats a good idea. I want to try that too!!

feather18 said:
Yeah, and make them feel pressured. Thats a good idea. I want to try that too!!

That is what I was noticing is they were feeling pressured..... so I took the dates off when I did a fair.... and it worked a lot better...!!! I bought them for a $1.00 a piece!!!

1. When do you hand out catalogs and order forms?

It is best to hand out catalogs and order forms at the end of your demo, once your guests have seen the products in action and are excited about making a purchase. This way, they can focus on your presentation and not be distracted by the order forms.

2. How long does your demo last?

The length of a demo can vary, but typically it lasts around 2 hours. However, it ultimately depends on the number of guests, the size of the group, and how many questions they have.

3. How early do you arrive at the host's house?

It is recommended to arrive at least 30 minutes before the scheduled start time of your demo. This will give you enough time to set up your products and supplies and make sure everything is in order before your guests arrive.

4. Any suggestions for effectively distributing catalogs and order forms during your demo?

One approach is to have catalogs and order forms readily available for guests to look through and fill out during your demo. You can also mention the order forms and catalogs at the beginning of your demo and let guests know they will receive them at the end. This way, they know to pay attention to your presentation and can focus on filling out the forms afterwards.

5. I had a routine down, but the past couple of shows have been different. Any suggestions?

Some shows may have different dynamics, and that's okay. It's important to be flexible and adapt to the needs of your guests. If someone needs to leave early, you can always hand them a catalog and order form and offer to follow up with them later. You can also try handing out catalogs and order forms in the middle of your demo, but make sure to still engage your guests and keep their attention.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• keynibear
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • pampchef.angel
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pamperedchef.jinni