• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Make Them Be Quiet???

In summary, the conversation revolved around the issue of guests at kitchen shows being rude and talking amongst themselves instead of listening to the consultant. The problem seems to occur when there are more than 7 guests present. Suggestions were made to address the issue with host coaching and setting expectations at the beginning of the show.
pamperedcheermom
I'm sure lots of people have this problem but I would like to know what others do about it. I did a show the other night and most of the people there were family members (aunts, cousins, etc.) A few were non-family members. I started the show and had their attention but then they all started talking to each other about "family stuff". The host, at one point, was standing in front of my table in the middle of the floor talking about something that had happened at work.
Maybe it's just me but this is rude! I was trying to avoid yelling to get their attention but they all continued to talk among themselves. There was one girl who apparently knew they were being rude so she would ask me what this was or what that was. I was explaining everything I was doing as I went along but there was ALWAYS somebody else talking in the room. When I go to a show of any kind I sit there and stay quiet and listen to the consultant.
This has happened several times and sometimes the guests are actually talking about PC. But that night they were talking about everything else BUT PC. When their conversations are about PC and the products, I join in and talk with them and continue to do the recipe as I go along. But when the conversation goes off in a totally different direction it's hard to get them back. A couple of them didn't like the recipe and wouldn't even try it........but they all liked the dessert.
The sales weren't even enough to submit the show so I'm hoping she'll get outside orders.

It's very frustrating when guests do this so I needed to vent. They should have some respect for the person who is taking their time to come and do a show and at least SHUT UP and listen. I talked about the specials, talked about bookings, talked about the products, etc. and everytime there was somebody in the room carrying on a totally different conversation. :mad:

What do the rest of you do when this happens?

I'm interested to hear what others do as well. I've had 'talkers' hijack a show a couple times and it seems very disconcerting. It seems to happen when there's more than like 7 folks at a show... I end up trying to talk above them - then I feel like I'm competing with their conversation and... it's frustrating. They'll have plenty of time after the demo to talk, why can't they just wait? This has delayed my demos and made my shows long too. I've also tried asking 'crowd' questions like "who has this?" with various things and well, I'm open to suggestions too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! It's getting to the point that I would much rather do booths and fairs than try to compete with family drama at the kitchen shows. And you're right, it happens when there are more than 7. There were about 7 or 8 at this one.

I soooo know where you are coming from!!! We all get them from time to time. Do not take it personally! I just did my 3rd show for the same family. 1st was as you described. A bunch of them were not happy with the guest specials. Wanted free stuff from my give away bag. They were horrible. I thought they hated me! Well at each of the next 2 shows it got a bit better. Finally figured it's just them........ take each show as it comes....

Since this show is over best thing to do is get it closed and move on.

I think some of the issues here have to do with host coaching (which I have been terrible at lately) also talking to the host when you arrive and telling her exactly how things will go. I also have started adressing the guests at the beginning and aknowledging (SP?) that I know the biggest reason they came was to see their friends and family. I say " I will do my best not to take up too much of your time, there are a few awesome / important things going on at PC I want to make sure you know about. After all that is why I am here, then you will be free to socialize and catch up with everyone!) This gives them permission to socialize but they know I need the floor for just a bit.

I have not been as eloquent here as I would like but you get mey jist.....

HTH......

I like the idea of telling the guests from the beginning that they can socialize after the show. Maybe that will let them know to be quiet while I do my demo. I have no problem at all with them asking me questions or making comments........having to do with PC. But when there are two on one side of the room talking about something that happened last week and two more on the other side of the room doing the same thing, it gets really frustrating. AND the host used to be in a different type of direct sales company so she's done tons of home shows. She knew what to expect and how things should go. However, I did the host coaching just to be sure and I even sent out her invitations to make sure they went out. She had about 13 RSVP's and only about 7 showed up.
I'm hoping the sales go up, at least to the $150 point.

I just came from posting on my interactive show thread...and my first thought is to try the hands on show!

That way, even if they are talking about family, work, or other things...they are USING the products which will eventually get them to talk about PC.

I have had that happen to me sometimes, and I usually just go on with my show and keep eye contact with those who ARE listening. I have even had guests tell the other ones to be quiet so they could hear!

I have heard others mention to start talking really softly, so they quiet down to hear you....or to come out from behind your table and start looking around on the floor like you dropped something. When someone asks what you are doing, tell them that you have lost control over the party and are looking for it!

Thank goodness this doesn't happen at all of our shows!

I do try talking quiter and that seems to help most of the time. But I'm also one of those people that like to use humor - so this is one of those times when I push it. I'll clear my throat and then say "ummmm, excuse me - but this is all about ME right now, remember? You'll have your chance to chit chat but I want to be the center of attention right now!" Something like that. It usually gets a rise out of them and doesn't tend to happen again. Sometimes, it's to no avail. I've also just completely shut-up and continued doing my demo. This has actually worked better here lately. Someone will typically notice that I'm not talking and then they're like "hey, be quiet" and then it's back to normal. Don't know if that helps, but we've all been there - felt that. :D

I read something once (can't remember if it was here or someplace else) that it's better to let them socialize and have a good time than to be the "Nazi consultant" by insisting they be quiet and listen. That's a sure way to not be invited back. If there's someone in the crowd who is truly interested, they'll listen to you, and maybe tell the others to be quiet.

I agree with Kelly, I think these hands on shows that are being encouraged will help. But as Ann said don't be "that consultant". If they are using the tools they will talk about them. Think Sunday family dinner. Let them talk and laugh, and do it with them, just make sure you sprinkle in all of your important facts. While they are eating go over the specials, booking benifits, bus. oppertunity, etc.
That's how I'm approaching it anyway! First show tomarrow, let you know how it goes!

I've given up trying to get them involved. I had a party of over a dozen attending and NO one wanted to come up. I made one (a friend of mine) come up to try the micro-plane grater... but everyone else was rooted to the ground. LOL... I'll try the 'let's get through the demo first then socialize' thing at my show tonight. Sounds like that might help. I don't want to be pushy or insist they pay attention but it gets really frustrating when I want to progress the show and it feels like some folks just don't want to be there, even. My last show I had a gal who dominated in talking but she was also a big 'love it' gal too... so I used that to my advantage asking folks when they got chatty by saying 'so who has this gadget?' and that helped a little too... maybe if I do both things it'll get better.

Make your shows interactive and hands on, that way you'll keep the conversation focused.We've all had talkative crowds. Just go with it. Remember they are there to socialize, not listen to "the teacher." You could just say, I'm going to finish up the recipe here so if anyone is interested to watching, come on up. Then finish and take orders and be on your way.The worst "talkative" show I had was when I had a new recruit with me to observe. We still laugh about that show! :)

I've had a few of these. The ones where people are also dealing with small children are the worst. Generally, I just keep going. Those who want to pay attention will. Those who can't hear will move closer or ask the others to pipe down. I tend to use lots of humor, so sometimes the laughter of the ones who are listening is enough to bring the others back in line. The hardest (and, I believe, most important) thing to do is not turn into a disciplinarian. They've come to have fun. I don't want to ruin that for them.

chefann said:
I read something once (can't remember if it was here or someplace else) that it's better to let them socialize and have a good time than to be the "Nazi consultant" by insisting they be quiet and listen. That's a sure way to not be invited back. If there's someone in the crowd who is truly interested, they'll listen to you, and maybe tell the others to be quiet.

I definitely agree. PC has become a household name and most show attendants "know" what they want before they even come. With people as busy as they are anymore, PC shows are a time to "get together". If people have questions I will answer them as they come up but I don't expect to talk much--especially at a Friday night show :chef:

I start out most of my shows with a big Wahooo. Not to loud bout loud enough to get the attention. Then I thank the hostess. I love to have a fun time at the show and keep them entertained while talking about the items and getting everyone in the room talk about something the love or heard about.
This way when I make the big Wahoo,everone knows i'm ready to go.
I keep it short and fun. Then they eat and get to gabbing.

Hope that helps.

A friend of mine will bang on a pan or something to get their attention, smile and keep talking or she'll just stop talking and watch them. It seems extreme but she is a top seller in our cluster and does an awesome job. She has a personality where she can get away with that. I couldn't! I haven't had too much trouble with this. Mostly, it's talking about the product, which just sells to each other. However, I talk to my hosts about doing a cooking or an express show. After all, THEY know what their friends/family are like. If they don't like to sit still, then a quick show possibly around an island or dining room table (standing somehow makes it harder to chat). Then I make them talk a lot too...fave products, etc.

My worst show like that was my second...my sister's. It was all my family and when they started yakking like a bunch of hens, I told them ok, I drove 2 hours to get here and you see each other all the time so shut up and listen! I got called a few choice words and then they paid attention. lol

If it happened at another show, I'm not sure what I'd do. For someone who never meets a stranger, I have the hardest time speaking to a group. I guess I'd probably just go quiet and carry on with what I was doing or find one in the crowd who looked interested and speak directly to her/him. The others will eventually notice...maybe. lol

I haven't tried it yet, but I was just looking at a couple of games where it is questions sprinkled thru the show where you get points for different things, and whoever has the most gets a prize. They say people get competative to get more points and really listen to hear what the questions are. Maybe that?

I know if it were me, I would be irritated to be griped at by the consultant for talking, even if it is not polite to be talking the whole time. It is really about having fun and letting the guests enjoy themselves. I think a fun way of keeping attention would get a much better response.

Jules711 said:
A friend of mine will bang on a pan or something to get their attention, smile and keep talking or she'll just stop talking and watch them. It seems extreme but she is a top seller in our cluster and does an awesome job. She has a personality where she can get away with that. I couldn't!

I've gotta tell ya - I have gotten several HO Leads over the last 2 years that were people who had been guests at shows where the consultant did just what you mentioned above. These guests wanted desperately to have a show and earn free stuff...but NOT with the consultant who did those things mentioned above (and just a note...I don't live in your area and know for a fact that the consultant *I* am talking about is NOT the same one you are talking about, don't worry - LOL) But I get these HO leads and they tell me they recently attended a show by Consultant XYZ and they and their friends were SO put off by her attitude they refused to book with her.:(

I agree, Sal. I wouldn't like it either. Luckily, my sisters and I have the type of relationship we can slam each other and not think twice about it later. We just carry on as usual. lol I'd NEVER do that at someone else's show. I'd be more horrified at myself than the guests would be at me.

I've been fortunate to not have the extremes that ya'll are talking about. I do have my share of talkers, I usually just tend to ignore them and talk to those who are listening to me. I think what keeps my chatters down is that I don't really have any quiet time for extra conversations to start. I try to keep everything upbeat and moving so they don't have time to get bored. Throughout my show I play the Have It/Love It, Love It/Want It, Got a Question game. And I don't do intruductions at the beginning, I do them throughout the demo. I'll start the introductions when I finish my opening and start my recipe. Usually while I'm cutting, mixing or doing something repetative or where I'm not the focus. I'll get in 1 or 2 or 3 intros and then back to the recipe or product that I'm talking about. Then in the next lull I'll continue the intros and I'll finish them by the time I'm done with my demo. I have them tell me their name and their favorite PC product, I also tell them that no-one else is allowed to have the same favorite so if it was already named they have to pick a new favorite - this also help to start conversations (at one show I had this woman who was so passionate about the Rice Cooker that everyone there bought one!) Sometimes instead of having them tell me their favorite I will have them tell me the one product that they do not own that they wish they did.

Good Luck! Don't let it get to you.

What I was told to do many years ago and it has worked well for me is this...if someone is talking too much, call her out - "Hey Suzie, come on up here and chop this/mixthis/stir this/etc" - she'll come up and do it...and she won't talk again cuz she won't want to get singled out again - LOL

In my "other life" I teach school. In the past 25 years (has it been THAT long?) there has been a move...

Be the Guide by their Side, not the Sage from the Stage

Less lecture, more interaction. PC is now on the bandwagon and it's a whole new world of interactive shows out there!! God Bless!

-praying for Paige and her family-

It's a tough call--especially if you are among complete strangers.

A few years ago, I went to a demo for a completely unrelated product. Thought me and a pal were talking softly, at the back of the room, but we obviously we weren't --and weren't listening.

How do I know this? Because the consultant asked us for help, and we weren't aware of it. Other guests had to nudge us to get our attention. Yikes!

It was an uncomfortable moment, but I got over it and participated. : ) My friend was put off by the experience. :(

I have had many shows like this. I just keep on with the demo--I quit talking and I let them talk to each other, I make the food. I've tried the "teacher" thing and it seems rude to me, so I just keep working. Eventually they shut up and watch me.

The worst talkers when I do show are my in-laws. One of my first shows was for my SIL and they talked non-stop and her kids ran around the whole time. Her kids, my nieces, did the same thing at my MIL's show a few months later. I've tried to get the older one to help with my demo, and she likes to help, but she doesn't like to listen to my directions. At my MIL's show I was doing a trifle and it turned out looking horrible (tasted good but looked horrible) I put a the season's best out next to it so the guests could see how it would really look if they tried it at home. I think it's hard to deal with talkers, but I think the kids running around is even harder to deal with.

dannyzmom said:
I've gotta tell ya - I have gotten several HO Leads over the last 2 years that were people who had been guests at shows where the consultant did just what you mentioned above. These guests wanted desperately to have a show and earn free stuff...but NOT with the consultant who did those things mentioned above (and just a note...I don't live in your area and know for a fact that the consultant *I* am talking about is NOT the same one you are talking about, don't worry - LOL) But I get these HO leads and they tell me they recently attended a show by Consultant XYZ and they and their friends were SO put off by her attitude they refused to book with her.:(

It definitely isn't the same person and I think very few could get away wth it. She's had people book shows after the "reprimand" and has a ton of loyal hosts and customers. It sounds horrible, but she is great and fun and does a great show. I would NEVER do it b/c I couldn't get away with it. I always tell people, you aren't at school. I'm not the teacher...you can't get in trouble! If people want to gab, I just keep talking and usually it is regarding PC.

I know people too that have consultants that yell at them for talking. I think it's crazy b/c they are there to have a good time. I think that humor is good. I've heard "do I have to separate you?". I kind of like that b/c it's playful.

My show the other night was essentially a high school reunion for my host. She only had 5 guests, but it had been 15-20 years since they had seen eachother! There was NO way I could compete with that. I did my demo, conversing with whoever was paying attention at the time. I did my best not to compete with their fun. I got 2 bookings and a potential recruit. The host and each guest thanked me, telling me that they had a fun time and learned so much! So, even though they are talking with eachother, they are still paying attention!

I was told early on by others in my cluster not to compete with the guests. "Just keep doing the demo." It has worked for me so far!

Just did a party where the guests felt this way about their last consultant. They said that she told them all to shut up, but I know the consultant and I am sure that they misinterpreted what she meant. The were steamed enough where I knew it was best to stay away from how I felt about the consultant..their minds were made up. I just told them that I was sorry that happened. This is a party first and foremost. Sometimes they just get out of control. I keep doing the demo and try to chat with them at order time or even after I am packed up will stay and chat.

I let them talk. They are really there to see each other, and I am secondary!! I just go ahead and pretend I don't hear them, because some people are listening to what I have to say. If it starts to get out of hand, I'll say: "Can I interupt for a min, I forgot to tell you....." They usually laugh and I get back on track! I have good bookings! I have people come up to me and say "you handled that crowd really well" They are there to be entertained, either by me or someone else, and quite frankly, if I loose them it's most likely because I became boring to them for some reason!! I ask them a lot of questions: Who has this, what do you do with that?

There are different points of view on this subject but I guess I'm old fashioned..........when someone is talking to you, be quiet and listen. These demos don't take that long and I think people should have enough respect for the consultants to at least pay attention. If they insist on talking, they need to leave the room and do it. I would never tell my guests to "shut up" but it is annoying when I'm trying to talk about a recipe and 4 or 5 people are in their own little worlds and then one of them asks me later what ingredients I used. If they had been listening they would know!!
As for kids being at a show.....I had a show several years ago, before joining PC, and there were seven kids there. I have two kids myself and my husband has always taken them off with him when I had home shows. Those seven kids were so bad that the consultant had to stop the show and ask the moms to please (and she really emphasized "please") do something with their kids. I was so embarrased and ended up crying after everybody left. Most of the kids lived on my road and their dads or older siblings were home so it wasn't even necessary that they come. But the moms thought it would be "neat" to bring them.
I called this same consultant a year later to have her do a bridal shower for my neice and she flat refused. She said the last show at my house was her worse ever and she has never seen kids act like that and get away with it. I assured her that none of those kids were related to me and that they wouldn't be here. She finally agreed to do the show and it went well. But I was still sooooo embarrassed.

I had a show like that last Sat. Lots of talking. I just continued on to whoever was listening. I usually allow a little time after they start to arrive for them to talk. I put on my apron then and kind of herd them to settle in for the demo....doesn't always work though.
Oh well, show is at $950+ so far so I guess I can't complain.

My worst one was the host that had collectibles in boxes along with a jillion stuffed animals lining the path in the living room. She obviously just made for me to walk through. Dust everywhere. Then her DH came out of a room wearing a little noisy pouch-purse type thing around his neck. He said the noise was from the flying squirrels in it. They sounded p***ed. Come to find out they were sugar gliders and he was "bonding with them":rolleyes:

The new thing seems to be when I just start my demo & someone will come up and ask me to give them their total because they have to leave Then while I do that, everyone starts talking again.:mad:

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Chef Endora said:
Then her DH came out of a room wearing a little noisy pouch-purse type thing around his neck. He said the noise was from the flying squirrels in it. They sounded p***ed. Come to find out they were sugar gliders and he was "bonding with them":rolleyes:
I have no idea what this is.........

chefann said:

I agree ~ I have had guests tell me about the consultant w/control issues that took up so much of their time. When I first experienced the chattiness, I too, became really fustrated. But I now remind myself that this is a "party" and they all want to unwind a little too (especially after a work day or being home all day with little ones). Lately I let them talk while I finish setting up (I arrive no earlier than 30 minutes before shows now, because I find they are happier after having a little time first). Before I start I give them a heads up, to get their drinks or food. Then I start... if they are talking I let them know that I will let them know when something important is coming up that they won't want to miss... if it seems I just can't "recapture" them, I tell them I want to let them know what the upcoming specials are, and then I'll "release them" & to please enjoy themselves. I invite those that want to watch me complete my recipe to please come forward so they can hear me, that I'll be available to answer questions at check out.

*I* enjoyed myself more, and it is so great to just "release them" when they just aren't in the mood for a demo (to sit quietly and listen to me when they want so badly to be together).

I have to say the time I just let it go and let them talk... I had a $900 dollar show!
I just involved those who wanted to be involved and answered questions when needed.
After the demo, got the recipe in the oven and started cleaning up. They all eventually came to me with their big $$ orders.
Then the host of one who was one talking, said I'm going to do this next year again it was a lot of fun!
So I think also that some just talk, talk, talk, just to talk. I really look forward to the interactive show, guess I already did one without knowing it!
Schel

I'm the opposite!I have to say, that I kinda like it when they are talking! This gets some of the focus off me. I just had a show last night where the guests didn't know each other and were new to pampered chef. So, I couldn't use my "Who has this?" No one wanted to try anything out, they stood there looking at me...didn't answer any questions...ugh! I had the host doing lots of things...I think we had one guest try out the UM. It was a $500 party, so it was still a good one! I was so flustered though, that there were so many things that I forgot to mention...it just didn't flow well. Oh well, you never know what you are walking in to.

Related to How Do You Make Them Be Quiet???

1. How do you handle guests who won't stop talking during a Pampered Chef show?

This is a common issue that many consultants face during their shows. One approach is to politely remind the guests that you are there to share information about Pampered Chef products and to ask for their attention. You could also try incorporating interactive elements into your presentation, such as asking the guests questions or involving them in a recipe demonstration, to keep them engaged and interested.

2. What can I do if the guests are only talking about non-Pampered Chef related topics?

If the conversation is completely unrelated to Pampered Chef, it may be helpful to redirect their attention back to the products. You could try asking for their opinions on a specific product or sharing a personal experience with the products to spark their interest.

3. How can I handle guests who are being rude and not paying attention?

It's important to remain professional and polite in these situations. You could try addressing the guests directly and explaining that their behavior is distracting and disrespectful. Alternatively, you could speak to the host privately and ask for their help in keeping the guests focused.

4. What should I do if some guests are not interested in the recipe or products?

It's important to remember that not everyone will be interested in every product or recipe. You could try offering alternative options or suggestions for those guests, such as offering them a different recipe to try or showing them a different product that may align with their interests.

5. How can I still make the most of the show if the guests are not paying attention?

Even if the guests are not fully engaged, you can still make the most of the show by staying positive and enthusiastic. Use the opportunity to showcase your knowledge and passion for Pampered Chef products and continue to share information and tips. Additionally, encourage the guests to try the products and recipes and offer incentives or special deals to entice them to make a purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kristine2011
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Barry Carlton
  • thehaleykitchen
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Deb Bixler
  • MrsNetNut404