• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Know When Bleu Cheese Goes Bad?

do you think it goes bad when it's just a greenish color, or does it go bad when there are actual mold spores growing on it?When it is just a greenish color, I would say it is still safe to eat. When there are actual mold spores growing on it, I would say it is not safe to eat.
SusanBP0129
This is an odd question.
How do you know when bleu cheese has gone bad??
WIth other cheese, it is obvious by the mold! But with bleu cheese - how do you know??
I am guessing someone will know this answer.
I am a huge Stilton fan but don't buy it often because I never know how long it'll keep!

LOL!!! THIS is an AWESOME question that Im DYING to hear the answer to!:cool:

When it mugs the mayonnaise.Anyone else picturing a wedge of cheese wearing black leather and packing heat?No? I'm the only crazy one around here?

I just heard the snare drum and the cymbol on that one...

chefann said:
When it mugs the mayonnaise.

Anyone else picturing a wedge of cheese wearing black leather and packing heat?

No? I'm the only crazy one around here?

LOL LOL!!!
TOTALLY picturing it!!

I just want your brain and TKG's brain for ONE day....:balloon:

chefann said:
When it mugs the mayonnaise.

Anyone else picturing a wedge of cheese wearing black leather and packing heat?

No? I'm the only crazy one around here?

You know I'm ROTFLMBO!! Ann, you crack me up!
I have no idea how to answer this question, I guess when it goes bad you would just know.... I'm sure it taste really gross!:yuck: :yuck:
Ann, I thought for sure you were going to give us the real reason, you mean you really don't know!:confused: :eek: I'm shocked!:eek: :D

When it isn't blue anymore.

okay, Kate, I'm game, you really aren't serious are you!?!:confused: :D

Darnit... and I was hoping for REAL answers. LOL... figures. I'd say when it starts resembling real cheese and actually smells good? LOL

lkprescott said:
Darnit... and I was hoping for REAL answers. LOL... figures.

I'd say when it starts resembling real cheese and actually smells good? LOL

It will come....by the way, LOVE your quote....:balloon:

Thanks! A good friend of mine has it on a beautiful tile hanging in his house... makes me smile every time I read it.

While I much more prefer Chef Ann's answer (you crack me up ...) this is what I got off of chowhounds...

"Yes, it goes bad. First, yeah, the "native" mold gets a little out of hand, but then it turns from bleu to rose to jaune and even a bit of l'orange, even.:) Like most softer cheese, it can get really disgusting when it goes truly bad - much worse than hard cheese like Cheddar, Emmentaler, etc.

The very first stage of going bad for most blues is for the ammonia flavour and back of the nose taste to get out of hand and overly strong. If you regularly have a particular blue cheese you can tell how far along a given batch is by tasting it before you buy it -- your cheesemonger will expect that, and the one by me will insist you sample any cheese before they'll sell it to you."

:eek:
lkprescott said:
Thanks! A good friend of mine has it on a beautiful tile hanging in his house... makes me smile every time I read it.

I love those! The one in my kitchen says "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away"

They're so inspiring. Although they're rarely noticed. Sorry, done HJing....

Thanks Jenn, for a real answer, we were having to much fun on this thread!:D

hahaha... this is great... I had forgotten this was a comic book.

Milk and Cheese... Dairy products gone bad!

http://home.blarg.net/~wayule/graphics/milk_cheese.jpg

yummybytes said:
hahaha... this is great... I had forgotten this was a comic book.

Milk and Cheese... Dairy products gone bad!

http://home.blarg.net/~wayule/graphics/milk_cheese.jpg

LOL!!!!! Priceless!

LOL... I think I've seen that happen in my fridge a couple times... mostly with cheese though.. and yogurt. I can't seem to remember I have yogurt before it goes south.

lkprescott said:
LOL... I think I've seen that happen in my fridge a couple times... mostly with cheese though.. and yogurt. I can't seem to remember I have yogurt before it goes south.

I am SO glad I am not alone there. I shop with the best of intentions... I eat with selective memory, however.

Yogurt and bags of salad are the bane of my existance.

Last edited:
yummybytes said:
I am SO glad I am not alone there. I shop with the best of intentions... I eat with selective memory, however.

You and me both, sister... you and me both.

The saddest part is I have guinea pigs to give the salad to too... and yet I STILL forget :rolleyes:

yummybytes said:

That made me laugh! So true!

I was serious!!! When it turns another color, it is no longer safe to eat.

...and when in doubt, throw it out!Yes, color and texture changes are usually the best tell-tale signs.

I thought it was bad when you bought it! Gross stuff!!
I've never bought it!!I'm loving all these funny answers!!

The Furry Guy gets upset when I allow things to go bad in the fridge. He'll throw them out, then ask me why I let the ____________ go bad. My answer is almost always, "You didn't throw it out, did you? No! Dang! Now I have to start my experiment all over!" Once he smiles, he can't be mad any longer. Works nearly every time.Now that I think about it, that's kind of sad. I may have to come up with a new response. Lord knows I'm not going to stop letting things spoil in the fridge. ;)

it will get very soft and runny when it goes bad.

instead of a guinea pig i have 3 kids and a husband & I forget to feed them the bagged lettuce, it usually stays in the crisper until its no longer identifiable except for the label
I line my crispers with press and seal keeps the bottom of the crisper clean and when its full of rotten fruits and veggies just roll it all up throw it away and put down fresh :)

:yuck: :yuck:
Stampaholic1961 said:
I thought it was bad when you bought it! Gross stuff!!
I've never bought it!!
:yuck: :yuck:

I second that!!!!!!!:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Sorry for so many :yuck: but :yuck:

~

Teresa Lynn said:
it will get very soft and runny when it goes bad.

instead of a guinea pig i have 3 kids and a husband & I forget to feed them the bagged lettuce, it usually stays in the crisper until its no longer identifiable except for the label
I line my crispers with press and seal keeps the bottom of the crisper clean and when its full of rotten fruits and veggies just roll it all up throw it away and put down fresh :)

That's a great tip! Would save having to pull the drawers out, soak 'em and scrub 'em down in the bathtub!

My next fridge will have see-thru drawers... maybe then I'll remember when there's things in them! LOL...

raebates said:
The Furry Guy gets upset when I allow things to go bad in the fridge. He'll throw them out, then ask me why I let the ____________ go bad. My answer is almost always, "You didn't throw it out, did you? No! Dang! Now I have to start my experiment all over!" Once he smiles, he can't be mad any longer. Works nearly every time.

Now that I think about it, that's kind of sad. I may have to come up with a new response. Lord knows I'm not going to stop letting things spoil in the fridge. ;)

As long as it still makes him smile - that response is a good one!:D

lkprescott said:
That's a great tip! Would save having to pull the drawers out, soak 'em and scrub 'em down in the bathtub!

My next fridge will have see-thru drawers... maybe then I'll remember when there's things in them! LOL...

Hasn't helped me any. :eek:

raebates said:
Hasn't helped me any. :eek:

Me either!:D Except now I know at a glance where the funky smell is coming from, and if my lettuce has turned to liquid yet!:D :D

Oh you guys... a girl can hope, eh? LOL.. Well, I do have the ultimate excuse now... not only are my drawers opaque but I have absolutely no light in my fridge so it's VERY easy to not see anything past 4 inches in the fridge. LOL... I really need a new fridge. When I tried making the Truffle Brownie Cups, the ganache just would NOT set up in my freezer... even after half an hour it was still runny. I found out how it's SUPPOSED to work at my friend's party when hers set up in 10 minutes! I told her she had a great fridge and she was like "really? I thought ours was going"... perhaps but then that would mean mine's already gone! LOL..

LOL
You guys all crack me up!!
Thanks for all the responses and LAUGHS!! :D

1. How do you know when bleu cheese has gone bad?

Bleu cheese typically has a strong, pungent smell and flavor, so if you notice a significant change in either of these characteristics, it may be an indication that the cheese has gone bad. Additionally, if the cheese appears to be slimy or has an unusual texture, it may be spoiled.

2. With other cheese, it is obvious by the mold! But with bleu cheese, how do you know?

Unlike other types of cheese that may develop visible mold when they go bad, bleu cheese contains mold as a part of its production process. This mold is safe to consume and is what gives bleu cheese its distinct flavor. Therefore, the presence of mold in bleu cheese does not necessarily mean it has gone bad.

3. I am guessing someone will know this answer.

Yes, as a representative for Pampered Chef, I am knowledgeable about food safety and storage guidelines for various types of cheese, including bleu cheese. I am happy to provide helpful tips and information on how to tell if your bleu cheese has gone bad.

4. I am a huge Stilton fan but don't buy it often because I never know how long it'll keep!

Most types of bleu cheese, including Stilton, can last for several weeks if stored properly in the refrigerator. It is recommended to store bleu cheese in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. However, if you notice any signs of spoilage, such as a foul odor or unusual texture, it is best to discard the cheese.

5. What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "How Do You Know When Bleu Cheese Goes Bad?

The five most frequently asked questions about how to determine if bleu cheese has gone bad are: 1. How do you know when bleu cheese has gone bad? 2. With other cheese, it is obvious by the mold! But with bleu cheese, how do you know? 3. I am guessing someone will know this answer. 4. I am a huge Stilton fan but don't buy it often because I never know how long it'll keep! 5. What are the signs of spoilage in bleu cheese?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pc_jessica
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
JennLizFran
  • SilverCeladon
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
thecougchef
  • akrebecca