• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do You Still Hate to Grate Cheese?

In summary, most people use a cheese grater at shows, but some people do not like to do it. People also have different issues with grating cheese. Some people do not like to squeeze hard and others do not like to nuke it. There are also different issues with grating cheese depending on the recipe.

Do you still have to grate cheese?

• Yes!

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • No, I love doing it!

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • I tell my host to get the pre-grated cheese!

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I could care less about this questions! :)

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
jrstephens
Even with all of our wonderful grating products I still do not like to grate cheddar cheese at shows! But then I do not want to tell my host to buy the already grated when we sale so many graters!

I need to start grating ahead of time, so, I do not have to do is for so long at shows.

The pole should say "Do you still HATE to grate cheese?" I cannot figure out how to correct that type-o even going advanced.

Last edited:
I will not grate cheddar or swiss at my shows - only parmesan. I let my host buy the grated cheese and I show how you can measure it in any of our measure tools! Personally, I still use my box grater at home for cheddar or swiss.

As long as it's just out of the fridge, I don't mind. The other night I was doing mozzarella and the host had brought it to me long before I needed (we did the show on her back deck) and it was too warm and hard to grate. I was glad none of the guests wanted to give it a try!!

What's everyone's issue with grating cheese?
I use my cheese grater at every single show and sell several every time.
If you're grating soft cheese (mozz, chedd, etc), remember to barely squeeze - hardly any pressure at all...and nuke it for about 10 seconds first to release the oils.

I'm not a big fan of it so I'll do most of it BEFORE the show then just demo a little on the Deluxe Cheese Grater. I call it a "Crank & Spank" and it usually gets a laugh. I also talk about how a pre-school teacher I'm friends with uses it in her classroom for the kids to grate crayons for their wax crafts.

I also use my box grater at home. I know that the UM will do the same thing, but I like the way the box grater stands up on the counter. And the UM lives in the basement, while the box grater lives with my Batter Bowls. (OK, now I have a bizarre image of little cross-bred box grater-batter bowls running around the cupboard in diapers. :) ) Most people I know use pre-grated cheese anyway. Yes, it's cheaper to buy the brick and grate it, but people are willing to pay for the convenience. The only cheese I DON'T let my hosts get pre grated is Parmesan. No substitute for fresh. ;) (And of course, if there isn't a grated version, like the white cheddar in the BLT Mac and Cheese recipe.)

dannyzmom said:
If you're grating soft cheese (mozz, chedd, etc), remember to barely squeeze - hardly any pressure at all...and nuke it for about 10 seconds first to release the oils.
I've tried nuking mine and don't have any luck. Maybe I have just nuked too long... I usually have better luck when it's just out of the fridge.

Did you realize the question on the poll says "Do you still have to grate cheese?" - too funny!

I love using our grating tools and am always happy when my hosts choose to get the block cheeses. I compliment them on saving money and buying healthy. I always have them leave it in the refrigerator and sometimes have them put it in the freezer until we are ready to use it - makes it all work so much easier. Depending on what we're doing I will use the cheese grater or the UM for the soft cheeses and the microplane for the hard cheeses.

I find them all easy to use!

dannyzmom said:
I have done the microwave for a few seconds thing but have run into a couple of microwaves that were way hot which messed things up so I tell them that's an option and show them the chilled method.

BethCooks4U said:
I have done the microwave for a few seconds thing but have run into a couple of microwaves that were way hot which messed things up so I tell them that's an option and show them the chilled method.
Good idea :thumbup:

Depends what else the recipe involves. Sometimes it's easier to just meausure the pregrated stuff whereas sometimes I want to show another tool and then will grate. I ALWAYS grate parmsean if the recipe calls for it.

I hate grating cheese! I know that there is a lot of add-in nasty stuff in bagged shredded cheese, but I still buy it.... I think I hate cleaning the tools more than anything!

Well, I wouldn't grate in the DCG at all if it wasn't dishwasher safe. I don't think it would EVER come clean if washed by hand!

I grate chedder cheese with the Ultimate Slice and Grate...guess I need to change to the UM. I use my cheese grater for chocolate, nuts, and parmesan cheese.

kearstin said:
Well, I wouldn't grate in the DCG at all if it wasn't dishwasher safe. I don't think it would EVER come clean if washed by hand!

I use a toothbrush and tell my guests to use one if they don't have a dishwasher. I get a few laughs when I tell them "Don't worry, I use a different one for my teeth!":D

I don't like the deluxe cheese grater - in fact, mine broke, and I've never replaced it! I use either the microplane grater (LOVE that!) or the UM when I have to grate cheese - but except for parmesan, I tell my hosts that pre-grated cheese is just fine! At home - I use pre-grated.......

ChefBeckyD said:
I don't like the deluxe cheese grater - in fact, mine broke, and I've never replaced it! I use either the microplane grater (LOVE that!) or the UM when I have to grate cheese - but except for parmesan, I tell my hosts that pre-grated cheese is just fine! At home - I use pre-grated.......

Becky, my DCG broke recently as well! I was able to do an adjustment but now I hardly use it.

I grated Monterey Jack with the UM for the first time today and was surprised at how well it worked.

DebbieJ said:
Becky, my DCG broke recently as well! I was able to do an adjustment but now I hardly use it.

I grated Monterey Jack with the UM for the first time today and was surprised at how well it worked.
That's what I have found - it's easier and faster to grate the softer cheeses with the UM - and I am demoing a higher $ item with more versatility too!

Okay, I guess I'll have to grate more cheese on my UM! I didn't like it the first couple of times I tried it and gave up. I actually use a non-PC one (gasp!) at home for grating. (The stand up ones.)

I hate grating cheese but I dont buy the pre grated cheese. I have my Dh grate the cheese for me:blushing:

jenniferknapp said:
I hate grating cheese! I know that there is a lot of add-in nasty stuff in bagged shredded cheese, but I still buy it.... I think I hate cleaning the tools more than anything!

That sounds just like me. I hate cleaning tools.

I always grate a lot of cheese with my food processor. I love it! I don't like to buy the already grated cheese. It's not as good. I may not like to grate, but I like the flavor better, so I will grate.

I love using the MPG for Parmesean- pregrated Parm is YUCKY!:yuck:

If it's softer cheeses, I will use my UM- even though I am (secretly) OK if my host buys pre-grated! I do NOT like the DCG, except for chocolate, nuts, or hard cheeses. I know all the tricks, but still don't like it.

I rarely use the DCG too (at least for cheese) but DH and DS reach for it every time. They prefer it to the microplane.:eek: - Just gotta retrain them!

I find a reason to use the microplane at EVERY show I do! I LOVE that tool!!

I love to grate parm cheese but not the soft cheeses.

And yes Becky I did see it says "have" I tried to correct it but it will not let me even when I go advance.

I added a note in my first post but I really wish I could correct it.

I used the UM last night and it just takes to long when you need a cup to me. I had put it in the freezer to get it really cold. I love using the DCG and Microplane for hard cheeses but I cannot find anything I like to use for sotf cheeses.

Like others, I do like the Stand up Graters for soft better than anything. I wish PC had one of them!!!

I just by the pregrated at home.

chefann said:
(OK, now I have a bizarre image of little cross-bred box grater-batter bowls running around the cupboard in diapers. :) )

THIS is why I love you, Ann!

I always use my DCG too; just nuke the cheese for a bit like Carolyn said. I use the microplane for Parm.
If a recipe won't use an entire block of cheese, which they rarely do, I tell the host to buy whichever she'll use the remaining of. If she doesn't use block cheese, she can buy already shredded. That way she's not buying something she'll never use the rest of.

tlennhoff said:
That sounds just like me. I hate cleaning tools.

I think I wouldn't mind it as much if I had a dishwasher....

I feel the same way about the UM, it is much easier for me to slice up a zuchinni with a knife.....a knife is so much easier to clean!

I put my UM in my dishwasher on the top rack. I turn my heated dry off when I out things like that in there.

I always try to spray it with hot water as soon as I use it to make it easier to clean. Even when I use at for a show, I have the host do it for me. Makes clean up a lot easier!

lacychef said:
I always use my DCG too; just nuke the cheese for a bit like Carolyn said. I use the microplane for Parm.
If a recipe won't use an entire block of cheese, which they rarely do, I tell the host to buy whichever she'll use the remaining of. If she doesn't use block cheese, she can buy already shredded. That way she's not buying something she'll never use the rest of.
I have the host use my product to finish grating if she doesn't have it - she usually buys it then. :cool:

BethCooks4U said:
I have the host use my product to finish grating if she doesn't have it - she usually buys it then. :cool:
Ahhh, nice:D

Jennie4PC said:
I hate grating cheese but I dont buy the pre grated cheese. I have my Dh grate the cheese for me:blushing:

Hehehe, ME TOO!!!!:blushing:

Dunno... I must be weird. I like my DCG. I don't have a dishwasher, but I don't have trouble getting the cheese out. If I leave it sit and get dry- I have to put it in a pot and boil the stuff out, but that doesn't happen very often. I grate at shows all the time... I love the thing. I am sort of afraid of the UM. I don't use it at shows if I can avoid it. I am terrified of cutting myself at a show (again...)

Alison

I actually have found some very successful ways to use the deluxe cheese grater...but, in terms of frustration levels of myself and guests at shows, I intentionally don't take it to most shows cause I really don't like having a tool that I have to worry about working for me.

I do use it at home.

Of course it works perfect on hard cheeses...but I LOVE the microplane for that. If folks ask about it, I will offer my advise and also that for a different use, I suggest that the barrels are perfect to shredd small carrots and radishes, etc.

Mozzarrella actually seems to work better than cheddar cheese; not really sure why but less trouble.

My main method of telling people how to get soft cheeses not to stick is what I call "the Spritz and Smack" method. (This also gets a laugh). For soft cheese use, I spritz the inside and outside of the barrel. Put cheese in, press (not to hard as mentioned above), turn the handle, and then SMACK the unit over a bowl/plate when it fills up. With this method, I don't have to have the cheese right out of the fridge or freezer.

Curious about the carrots and radishes for the DCG. I can grate cheese tickity boo, but I just end up with a sloppy mess when I grate carrots. What am I doing wrong?

I don't bring the cheese grater anymore, since it's not in the kit. If people ask questions about it, I answer, but I promote the Microplane Adjustable Grater more now, and use it more in my kitchen than I ever used my cheese grater. I've had more handles break on me than I can remember!! I hope the re-furbish that product soon - GRR! Don't get me started!! ;)

cathyskitchen said:
I don't bring the cheese grater anymore, since it's not in the kit. If people ask questions about it, I answer, but I promote the Microplane Adjustable Grater more now, and use it more in my kitchen than I ever used my cheese grater. I've had more handles break on me than I can remember!! I hope the re-furbish that product soon - GRR! Don't get me started!! ;)

My handles break too Cathy - and I know I can get it replaced - but it's a pain to do that. I would much rather use the Microplane.....and it's easier to clean!:thumbup:

I have learned with cheddar cheese to cut the block in half and stick half of it in the microwave for 12 seconds then it glides thru the grater with no problems. Heating it brings the oils to the surface and no problems.
Everyone is amazed then.

dannyzmom said:
I do this too and it works great!!

1. How can I make grating cheese easier and less time-consuming at Pampered Chef shows?

One solution is to grate the cheese ahead of time and store it in an airtight container until the show. This will save time and effort during the demonstration.

2. What are some tips for using Pampered Chef graters to make grating cheese more efficient?

First, make sure to choose the right grater for the type of cheese you are grating. For harder cheeses, use a microplane grater, and for softer cheeses, use a rotary grater. Additionally, make sure to keep the cheese cold for easier grating and always grate in a downward motion.

3. Is it worth it to buy already grated cheese instead of using Pampered Chef graters?

While pre-grated cheese may be convenient, it can also be more expensive and may contain added ingredients for preservation. With Pampered Chef graters, you can grate fresh cheese right before using it, ensuring the best flavor and quality.

4. Can I use Pampered Chef graters for other types of food besides cheese?

Yes, Pampered Chef graters are versatile and can be used for grating other foods such as vegetables, chocolate, and nuts. Just make sure to clean the grater thoroughly between uses.

5. How can I fix a typo in the pole that says "Do you still HATE to grate cheese?"

To correct a typo in the pole, you can click on the "advanced" option and make the necessary changes. If you are unable to do so, you can reach out to the Pampered Chef support team for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • domiche
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
reesefamily5
Replies