• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Get a Grease Spill off of Stone?

In summary, the customer's pizza stone is greasy and the grease is not coming off. The customer tried using the scraper that came with the stone, but that didn't work. The customer tried using a baking soda paste, but that didn't work. The customer tried using coarse salt to remove the "gummy-ness" and rinse with hot water, then layer the paste on the oil and let sit a few hours and then rinse again. The customer said that no one else HAS to do the same, but she knows that a bunch of people do.
pamperedtracy
Gold Member
Hi,

I had a customer email me this morning with the problem below.

Any ideas?

"How can I clean my pizza stone? It suffered from a grease spill of
fish filets and now I can't get the grease off. I don't want to soak
it in hot soapy water because it might get soap in it. I tried using
the scraper that comes with it and that isn't working because the
grease turned "gummy". Any advice?"

Thanks in advance to all of you cheffers!!

Tracy :)

I would try a baking soda paste, with maybe some course salt in it.

Baking soda paste has always worked for me. I will let it sit a few minutes and it scraps right off. Be sure to let her know the stone will still look brown no matter what b/c that is part of the seasoning of the stone that makes it so great for non sticking. She may be thinking it should go back to its original appearance.

Yep- baking soda paste and REALLY HOT water. She may have to repeat this till the stickyness goes away!

Our Easy Clean Kitchen Brush would help her greatly. I love that thing. :)

She can also run through the dishwasher with baking soda in the soap section with NO rinse aid in the dishwasher.

If she uses the paste, use coarse salt to remove the "gummy-ness" and rinse with hot water, then layer the paste on the oil and let sit a few hours and then rinse again.

A HUGE thanks to everyone. I will let her know.

Tracy :D

I would not recommend the dishwasher. It says right on the use & care that our stones are not dishwasher safe.

The pressure of the water can cause hairline cracks and it will POP! a crack later!

I know LOTS of people who run theirs through the dishwasher and never heard of them popping a crack -- the dishwasher can reduce the seasoning effects of the stoneware and soap can leave a residue, but I have 14 pieces of stoneware and have been running them through the dishwasher for more than 7 years (some are newer than that, but three pieces are almost 8 years old) and I've only had one stone crack on me -- and it was brand new and my sister shocked it with frozen chicken.

My aunt and two of my former consultants also always run theirs through the dishwasher.

I have super sentive skin (my hands have been broken out and raw since December and will probably stay this way until June or July because I'm really sensitive to soaps -- dishwashing, hand washing, etc. and also react to my own sweat inside of gloves, so I try and limit the amount of time my hands will be in hot water (or in contact with soap) as much as possible. I do scape my stones usually, but at least once a month I run a load or two of just stoneware in the dishwasher (after removing the rinse aid which can leave a film on them).

Certainly no one else HAS to do the same, but I know that a bunch of people do -- and I've even seen the dishwasher and stoneware as a "quick tip"

And yeah, I know none of the knives are dishwasher safe either, but the ALL go in too -- and I have a set of the stamped knives that are also 7 years old and are just fine.

1. How do I get a grease spill off of my stone baking sheet?

If the grease spill is recent, you can try wiping it off with a damp cloth and mild dish soap. For tougher stains, sprinkle baking soda on the affected area, spray with white vinegar, and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing with a non-abrasive sponge. Rinse with warm water and dry with a clean cloth.

2. Can I use harsh chemicals on my stone to remove a grease spill?

No, it is not recommended to use harsh chemicals on your stone as it can damage the surface. Stick to mild dish soap and natural cleaners like baking soda and vinegar.

3. What if the grease spill has been on my stone for a while?

If the grease spill has been on your stone for a while, it may have penetrated the surface. In this case, you can try using a degreaser specifically designed for stone surfaces. Follow the instructions on the product and rinse thoroughly afterwards.

4. Can I use steel wool or abrasive scrubbers on my stone to remove a grease spill?

No, using steel wool or abrasive scrubbers can scratch and damage the surface of your stone. Stick to non-abrasive sponges and cloths for cleaning.

5. How can I prevent grease spills on my stone in the future?

To prevent grease spills on your stone, make sure to properly season your stone before use. Also, avoid using too much oil or butter when cooking on the stone. If a spill does occur, wipe it up as soon as possible to prevent it from soaking into the surface.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefmelody
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • Malinda Klein
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • Traci loves tocook