• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Fit It All in to Run a Pampered Chef Business??

In summary, this woman has many responsibilities and is struggling to balance them all. She recommends using a weekly planner to block out time each week to work on her business, making calls to past customers, and organizing her office.
esavvymom
Staff member
I really want to get my business back off the ground. I've been "stagnant" for the last year or more....barely maintaining active. But I do want to have at least 1 show per week, but I struggle with time!

I homeschool my kids, which is top-priority for time during the day. I'm on our Cub Scout Pack committee, and that takes up a lot of time for all of us (my DH is also a Den Leader, so I help him with behind-the-scenes stuff, help with lots of planning and handle several roles (short on volunteers!)).

I'm just struggling to figure out when to get PC business in there, without sacrificing what little family-time I have left to manage the house, the bills, etc.

I know it's doable- lots of you have full-time jobs, and families. When do you do it? I'm not the most organized, so when I'm super busy with one or the other of my other "jobs", my office gets out of control very fast, so sitting down to do ANYTHING for even 10 minutes is near impossible, because I have to clean up first. :)

What do you do to manage it all? *And I'm terrible at using a planner -I've got three- don't use a single one CONSISTENTLY. It's been so long since I've talked to ANY of my customers, I'm not sure where to start anyway....I'm starting from scratch basically- which doesn't help much!

Use a weekly planner....the one PC supplies us with is perfect, or you can print out the weekly pages that you can download on CC. Block out 1 hour a week to work your business. Make your calls and do host packets during that time. If you find that's not enough time, maybe block out one more hour per week. USE YOUR CALENDAR! I can't stress that enough. Make it work for you. If the kids want you to watch a movie with them during that time, politely tell them that Mommy has to work until ____ (insert time here) and that you'll be happy to watch with them when you're done working. Treat it like something that is set in stone on your planner. Don't change it! That's my $.02. (-:

First CLEAN YOUR OFFICE :) that would be number 1 on my list. Then what I do is make lists everyday. Not with a lot on there to do, but 1-5 things. I make it a priority to do them. Now, I do have a toddler who still takes two naps a day, and that is when I get my list done. So you will have to find just 10-20 minutes a day. If you haven't keep in contact with your past customers, I would start will calling every single one of them to check on them and offer to email them a recipe or something. But just start small with the number of calls, and work your way up! It is achievable! GOOD LUCK!!!

You sound overwhelmed and that's not the way to go about it. I love the other 2 suggestions.

I am a stay at home mom with 2 kids and an elderly mother and a husband who works a lot of hours, I manage our house, our rental properties, have my PC business, another business, and I am involved in several networking groups on which I hold leadership positions. Some days I feel like I'm pulled in so many directions and I know that I don't have it all together, all the time.

Time managment is paramount. Use your calander... use the one on your phone to set reminders. Make a list of things you want to accomplish the next day after the kids go to bed, and not just with your business, everything... like do a load of laundry, clean the bathroom, make at least 3 phone calls. Once you check those items off your daily list you'll feel more accomplished and essentially be more organized. You can't do it mentally, you have to see it written down.

Definitely organize your office... that's the fun part. Set yourself up for success. Get a file organizer and label it with everything thing you do in your office, PC, Scouts, Home School stuff. Then put your to-do stuff in each file. Pull one thing out at a time and finish it, then put it in it's permanent location... be it the trash can or permanent filing system.

I treat my home office as I did my cubicle when I worked outside the home. My kids know that this is Mommy's job and when I'm in there, I am working. Doesn't mean they don't come in and ask me for a drink or a snack or whatnot, but it sets some sort of boundary.

Good luck, and know that you can do it. PC gives us the tools to help us be successful.

Dawn- yes! Overwhelmed some days barely describes it when you are driving home from one event, thinking about all the things I still need to do, or the next deadline. I keep see-sawing back on forth about my biz- if I'm doing too much, am I not giving my best because I'm trying to give too much to too many things....I don't know if that makes sense.But I like all 3 of the suggestions and will work on being INTENTIONAL about the tasks and about my business. I think if i can accomplish the organization and the calendar, ALL of those areas will greatly improve. I know when I created a calendar for our School this year, it made a HUGE difference. I didn't have to stress about that part. now I just need to do the same for the rest of my "work" and figure out how to attach my calendar to my hip. ;) Thanks all! I'm not ready to throw in the towel...not till I've given it my all!

What ages are your kids? If you are homeschooling perhaps you can incorporate some of the real world aspects of your business into what you are teaching them. My kids watched the dvd that came with the changeover kit with me yesterday. It entertained them and allowed me to do something I felt I needed to do. Depending on their ages you might be able to find tasks that would enhance their learning - like writing a letter (for a Pamper a Business) or a phone script for your calls. Real world opportunities for learning is probably among the greatest benefits of home schooling. Use it to your advantage! Or at least have it be an activity you can work on together. Just a thought.

I have homeschooled for 15 years and am a full-time caregiver for my elderly mother in law. I know you can do this. My thought is that you put everyone else first, natural for homeschooling moms - after all it's a HUGE responsibility. That said, you must show your kids you value yourself as much as you value them, their activities, and your husband. They will value you and gain enormous respect for you as they see you planning, organizing, and being rewarded personally for your work.

I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestions thus far. Organize your office (I bet you are pretty organized w/homeschooling stuff!). Don't go overboard, just basics - phone, calendar, notepad, customer contacts, computer. Then, like was mentioned, make a list for each day. BUT, I would suggest you be specific - write the names and phone numbers of the 5 people (or however many you chose) you're going to call that day. Carry that list with you so when it's lunch time, kids are on their break, you've got 5 minutes, make a call or two. Then make notes next to that person's name about what happened (l.m., c/b tonight or tomorrow at 4, send mini catalog, booked a show, what ever). Make the calls while making dinner or driving in the car or after the kids are in bed. And, let the family know your work is important. Ask your husband if he could monitor bathtime for 15 minutes 3 nights a week so you can make calls. I bet if you do this for a month, you'll have a system down, your family will be on board with your work, and you'll be heading off to shows on a regular basis. As you build your confidence, your organization skills will follow.

You're off to a good start by asking for suggestions. You can do it.

We just started homeschooling in January, and I have 3 boys (ages 3,4, and 5). I also help DH with his business, as well as us running our own farm, all on top of PC. I am selfish, and wouldn't dream of giving up PC. We need the income, but I also need the time away. PC time is Mommy time. I wouldn't dream of telling my DH I need 2 girls night's a week, but with my job I get to go to two each week and call it work (I say this at all of my shows).
I am not organized, but have learned a few techniques to help me be organized enough to function and keep my business running smoothly. I really do utilize my calendar. I am not good at making follow up calls, but am working on it. I have a big paperclip in my calendar and clip door prize drawing slips on it. I take it with me everywhere and when I am somewhere and have 2 extra minutes I make a phone call or 2. I keep a bag of skittles in the glove box of the car, and everyone who is quiet while mommy is on the phone gets a skittle when I get off (wow, what 1 skittle will do!!!!). I schedule my host coaching calls, and usually do them in the evening btwn. 8&9 after the kids are in bed. I do occasionally make calls btwn 2&3 (quiet/nap time). Planning meals is one other things that has made a huge difference and really helps. We also only go to town 1 day a week (groceries, bank, Post Office etc.), except when I go in the evenings for shows and can usually squeeze an extra few minutes to run by the bank or such if needed. I have a sitter (or mom- they live next door 1/2 time) watch kids for an hour or so until DH gets home if I need to on nights I have shows, however sometimes I take them and meet him and switch off kids. I make crock pot meals for my family the nights I have shows (if my mom isn't here- if she is, then she cooks for my family). Check out anneelliott.com she is a homeschooling mom who writes for a living from home (w/ 6 kids). She is great about keeping it all in perspective. I took one of her classes back in Dec (via email- you get an email every 3 days or so with lessons and tasks to help you get organized and focused) and it really made a difference for me. I need to go back and review some of the stuff, but she has lots of great stuff on her blog. I don't remember how much the course was, but I would guess I didn't pay more than $10, and it was well worth it. Something else I have recently done is let go, and let my kids help. I let them help put stickers on all of my stuff (I print labels). My kids love to help mommy work. It used to bother me that the labels were crooked or upside down, but I point it out at my shows, and I think it helps make me human and show that I am a mom first and that I why I do this job. We have the trip incentive poster on the wall in the kitchen and the kids are helping me color the beads on the New Orleans side of the poster right now. They get excited and tell me "Do a good job so we can color more dots". They don't really get it, but I know they are learning and it helps for them to understand what I do. When I go to shows I call it a "meeting". I want my kids to take my job seriously and not just think I "PARTY" all the time.
I put together 8-12 host packets for each month when the specials come out. I keep each month in the same color folder for organization and so they are easy to spot and distinguish at shows when giving them out.
I know there are lots of other small things, but those are some of them... Hope this helps.

I would schedule time to work on your office (maybe while others are sleeping) and use your calendar. Schedule time for your business just like you have appts. with other things. My kids are grown and I work full time. DH knows what are my office nights and show nights and he helps stuff envelopes, make packets, etc. I do my office time from 7-9 for phone calls and 9-11 for office cleanup, mailings, etc. Organization is key in your office. If you would be "scared" for a guest to come in your office, it's time to organizie it. I've had to do that and it was a long process. Once done, it is much easier to work and keep it maintained. Just my thoughts....

Last edited:
I live and die by schedules. Decide when you'll work. Work then. No personal calls. No fb games. Work. You can get more done in 15 planned, focused minutes than 60 I-should-work minutes.

I don't know how I missed this thread when it first came through. I'm also a homeschooling mom trying to juggle that with Pampered Chef. I'm the Co-leader of our hs group and also the Membership Team Coordinator and about 5 other things.

I recently worked out a new schedule for my kids (ages 16, 14, and 11) so I can work individually with them when they need it and have time for my other work in between. One thing that has really helped me to think differently about the time that is mine in our new schedule is to designate a specific day for each of my main jobs (PC, Homeschool Group and Home). Any time I have that day goes to that job. For example, PC is Mondays and Thursdays. All my printing, mailings, office organization, emails, host coaching, customer care, etc for PC are done on those days. Then Tuesday and Friday are for my homeschool group and Wednesday is for personal work (paying bills, budgetwork, homeschool scheduling, etc). Weekends are for shows, catch-up on things that fell behind or fun.

Before, I was trying to designate 15-30 minutes at a time for each task each day (15 minutes for PC phone calls, 15 minutes to pay bills, 15 minutes to enter new member info on the HS database, etc.) and I found that when I was supposed to be doing PC, I would be thinking about planning the HS Board Meeting and when I was supposed to be paying bills, I was reading ChefSuccess and printing great new PC flyers. I was just jumping from one thing to the next and very little was getting done.

Now what I'm doing is, if I think about a homeschool thing on Monday that needs to be done, I quickly add it to my homeschool list and then I'm ready to do it on Tuesday. And any free time I have on Monday stays devoted to PC. I also think it helps me when talking to customers. For example, when someone books a show at a weekend show (I do most of my shows on Saturday and Sunday), I can tell them that I'll be calling them on Monday to discuss their packet. Since I know that Monday is PC day, I know I'll remember to call them. And I'll book the next phone appointment for a Monday or a Thursday depending on when their show is. That way I know I'm getting my 3 Host-Coaching calls in instead of thinking "Oh, I'll just call them tomorrow."

Finally, like a previous poster said, I've started including my kids in some of my PC work. They label my catalogs, order forms and SB Cookbooks now. They really enjoy the work and it doesn't take them any time at all. And while they're doing that, I'm free to do something else. I'm going to try to find other jobs they can do too.

I've only been doing this for about a week so I'm sure I'll find some kinks to work out. But I love how freeing it is for me mentally so far. And it is making me more intentional about my PC business because I know that if I don't get something done today (since it's Thursday), I won't be able to do it again until Monday (unless I want to work on the weekend and I really don't). I have high hopes for this new plan! Thanks to everyone else for your suggestions too. It's nice to know that there are others trying to juggle these particular tasks in life.

Shari

Thank you everyone! All great ideas. Shari- I especially like how you schedule things. I can see that being a method that works well for me...if not the full day- then I can probably see doing half-days, etc. Either way- great stuff!Being able to focus and plan is key, I've always known that at some level. I want to give my best to each of the tasks I'm involved with - whether it's teaching reading/math, planning Cub Scouts, or my PC Biz....:)

I don't homeschool - but I do teach for a living. My daughter is in 3rd grade, we both show horses, she's in Brownies, and I'm working to help open a Community Arts Center. Oh, and I sell PC. My husband also works full time (or more often) so it's safe to say we have A LOT on our plates. One thing that we do is keep a Google calendar. We put all of our things (work schedules as his changes, meetings I've got, scouts, shows, etc.) onto one calendar that we can both access from our phones. I also do TONS of work for the Center and PC away from home - couldn't make it happen without my iPhone and its email and internet access.

Something else I have recently done is let go, and let my kids help. I let them help put stickers on all of my stuff (I print labels). My kids love to help mommy work. It used to bother me that the labels were crooked or upside down, but I point it out at my shows, and I think it helps make me human and show that I am a mom first and that I why I do this job. We have the trip incentive poster on the wall in the kitchen and the kids are helping me color the beads on the New Orleans side of the poster right now. They get excited and tell me "Do a good job so we can color more dots". They don't really get it, but I know they are learning and it helps for them to understand what I do. When I go to shows I call it a "meeting". I want my kids to take my job seriously and not just think I "PARTY" all the time.
I put together 8-12 host packets for each month when the specials come out. I keep each month in the same color folder for organization and so they are easy to spot and distinguish at shows when giving them out.
I know there are lots of other small things, but those are some of them... Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE the idea of the host packets in different colors to know which month is which

I'm so glad you asked this question and I'm so happy I took time to read all the wonderful responses!! Good ideas I'm ready to put into action!Shari

Chef Shari said:
I'm so glad you asked this question and I'm so happy I took time to read all the wonderful responses!! Good ideas I'm ready to put into action!

Shari

Ditto! I know that part of my problem of not having the time for my biz is my need to actually MAKING the time for it, as well as being organized and having my call list ready ahead of time. I am also ready to put these ideas into action today!!!!

I don't have a family (just a cat) but between work full-time (actually, in June-August, closer to time and a half! Averaging 55 hrs a week right now!), plus school full-time, and three softball leagues, I have almost no time.
I agree with the suggestion to use your calendar - that's my saving grace. I also have different colored highlighters I use to block off time, so I know what it's for (school/work/PC/other commitments).
I do 3-5 shows a month this way, and it's incredibly helpful to know exactly what time I have set aside for what.Another thing I do - blue tooth is my best friend. I will make dinner while making calls, or do follow up calls on my way home from work. Otherwise I'd never get anything done!

andrealynne719 said:
I don't have a family (just a cat) but between work full-time (actually, in June-August, closer to time and a half! Averaging 55 hrs a week right now!), plus school full-time, and three softball leagues, I have almost no time.
I agree with the suggestion to use your calendar - that's my saving grace. I also have different colored highlighters I use to block off time, so I know what it's for (school/work/PC/other commitments).
I do 3-5 shows a month this way, and it's incredibly helpful to know exactly what time I have set aside for what.

Another thing I do - blue tooth is my best friend. I will make dinner while making calls, or do follow up calls on my way home from work. Otherwise I'd never get anything done!

Oh, also, I'm in the process of planning a move to Nashville in the fall, so add in time spent sending resumes and making travel plans for interviews! OI!

I totally hear you!! I work a more than full time job teaching 2 year olds, PC, another direct sales business, and work for a band on the weekends...sometimes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! My weekend job causes me to work long late hours, so sometimes between everything I am trying to get done it really gets to me too! I also have 3 planners, none of which I totally LOVE the setup of, so it's hard for me to use them consistently. I try to make time each night to either do computer work, make phone calls, organize my business...whatever I can get done that day. Little steps really help, because when I find myself looking at everything I need to get done I get overwhelmed. Just break everything down into small, achievable steps, and every item you mark off your list will make you feel so much more accomplished! That confidence really goes a long way!

I signed up to take the workshop about working PC and a Full-time job. Even though my "full-time job" is not a traditional 9-to-5 job, it's close enough! Hopefully I will learn something useful....but I've gotten great ideas from the posts above! I've got time the next 2-3 weeks to cross off some "to-do" items on my list that are just absolutely bugging the heck out of me (like a disorganized kitchen, office, school space)....those things have to get fixed or I get so distracted by the chaos, or things don't run as smoothly as I know they could if things WERE in some sort of order or system.

I signed up for the same workshop! Perhaps I'll meet you there!

1. How do you balance running a Pampered Chef business with other commitments?

Balancing a Pampered Chef business with other commitments is all about time management and prioritization. It's important to set a schedule and stick to it, making sure to carve out time for both your business and other responsibilities. It's also helpful to delegate tasks and ask for help from family and friends when needed.

2. What are the most effective ways to promote a Pampered Chef business?

Some of the most effective ways to promote a Pampered Chef business include hosting in-home cooking parties, attending vendor events and fairs, utilizing social media platforms, and offering specials and promotions to attract new customers. Networking and word-of-mouth referrals can also be highly effective.

3. How do you stay organized and keep track of orders and inventory?

Organization is key when running a Pampered Chef business. Utilizing a planner or digital calendar can help with scheduling parties and keeping track of orders. It's also important to regularly check and update inventory levels to ensure you have enough products on hand for upcoming parties and orders.

4. What are the main challenges of running a Pampered Chef business?

Some of the main challenges of running a Pampered Chef business include managing time effectively, staying motivated and persistent, and overcoming rejection from potential customers. It can also be challenging to keep up with new products and promotions, as well as balancing the demands of the business with personal commitments.

5. How do you handle customer complaints or issues?

When faced with customer complaints or issues, it's important to remain calm and professional. Listen to the customer's concerns and try to find a solution that satisfies both parties. It's also important to follow up and ensure that the issue has been resolved to the customer's satisfaction. Maintaining good customer relationships is crucial for the success of a Pampered Chef business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered2007
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
katylunsford
  • andi330
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Lani
  • wcsis