• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can Motherhood Skills Translate into a Workplace Setting?

In summary, the conversation between Patricia Raybon and her mother highlights the valuable lessons and skills that come from being a mother. Patricia thanks her mother for teaching her important values such as saying please and thank you and showing love and appreciation to those around her. This conversation is referenced in a blog post by Alexandra Kuykendall, where she discusses the transferable skills she gained from being a stay-at-home mom for four years and how they can be applied to office life. She lists skills such as multitasking, attention to detail, and managing a team, among others. She also reflects on how being a mother has made her a more confident, tender, and fulfilled person. The post ends with a prayer from a mother's heart,
katie0128
Silver Member
This was from the weekly email I receive from M.O.P.S.

"So I thank you, Mama, for showing me how to do for others the right way ... how to say please and you're welcome and thank you ... and, at the end of a long day, to crawl into bed only after telling the people in my household good night." ~Patricia Raybon

Transferable Skills
by Alexandra Kuykendall, Ministry Outreach Representative

After four years of staying home full-time with my daughters, it was time to for me to reenter the world of Dry Clean Only shirts and audience-free trips to the bathroom, and head back to office life at least part-time. Looking over my résumé, it didn't feel right that the years I'd worked the hardest stood out as a "hole in my work history." I wanted words to describe how much I'd grown, been challenged and changed in four years. But, how could I sum up sleepless nights, sloppy kisses and whispered secrets in a few bullet points? I couldn't, they were too precious, too sacred, and the word "job" made them feel too mundane.

In my efforts to make sense of this transition, I tried a different approach. I made myself a list of transferable skills, ways my mommy life could be applied to cubicle life:
Able to multitask. Nursing a baby, while talking on the phone and making a peanut butter sandwich. No question.
Strong research skills. Where is that smell coming from?
Pays close attention to detail. Absolutely, when the difference between the pink and blue sippy could cause serious meltdown.
Works well under pressure. Potty training by the start of preschool!
Bilingual. "Mama, Y'ar yu?" Translation: Mommy. I need to see you to feel safe.
Provides strong customer service. Who else answers the same question 2,421 times in one day?
Able to manage a team. Getting four people out of the house, clothed and fed within an hour of intended departure takes an organizer.
Willing to master new skills. I promise cleaning poop off the wall is a new skill.

Looking over my list, I realized that I offer a more confident, tender, fuller version of myself to the world because of my most rewarding and challenging "job." Thank goodness being a mother doesn't have a quitting time, so I can keep my skill set growing.

Prayer From a Mother's Heart

Dear God, teach my child to use her talents in every task she tackles.

Thank you...you just made me realize how much I miss MOPS :)

Help her see that every job, no matter how small, is an opportunity to serve others and bring glory to you. Show her how to use her transferable skills to excel in all areas of her life. Thank you for the privilege of being a mother and for the ways it shapes and molds me into a better person. Amen

Dear fellow forum user,I can relate to this post so much! As a stay-at-home mom for the past five years, I often struggle with how to explain my "work history" to potential employers. But this post really helped me see the value in the skills I have gained through motherhood.I love the idea of transferable skills. It's so true that as moms, we are constantly multitasking, problem-solving, and managing a team (our family). And I agree that being a mother has made me a more confident, compassionate, and capable person in all aspects of my life.Thank you for sharing this perspective and for reminding me of the importance of our "job" as mothers. It truly is a privilege and a blessing.Sincerely,

Related to How Can Motherhood Skills Translate into a Workplace Setting?

What are transferable skills?

Transferable skills are skills that can be applied to different jobs and industries. These skills are not specific to one particular job or task, but can be used in a variety of settings.

Why are transferable skills important?

Transferable skills are important because they allow you to adapt to new job opportunities and industries. They also demonstrate your versatility and ability to learn new things.

What are some examples of transferable skills?

Examples of transferable skills include communication, problem-solving, teamwork, time management, and leadership. These skills can be used in various roles and industries.

How can I identify my transferable skills?

To identify your transferable skills, you can review your previous work experiences and think about the skills you used in those roles. You can also ask for feedback from colleagues or friends on your strengths and areas where you excel.

How can I highlight my transferable skills in a job interview or resume?

You can highlight your transferable skills in a job interview by providing specific examples of how you have used these skills in past roles. In your resume, you can list these skills under a separate section or incorporate them into your work experience descriptions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• krzymomof4
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • sOhSherri
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janel kelly
  • WLMcCoy