• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Understanding Foot in Mouth Disease: My Apology and Humorous Perspective

In summary, Crystal is apologizing for her past and future posts, saying that she doesn't want to offend anyone, but that she can come across wrong sometimes. She also states that she is not one to judge others and that some people mouth off without thinking.
Crystal Patton
With all the threads on CS right now that have gotten ... heated;) I felt that I should say something about this horrible disease I have, it's called Foot In Mouth. This can hit almost everytime I open my mouth, I carry the Carmel Sprinkle in my purse to cut the taste. LOL

Seriously, I have a twisted sence of humor and I know some of my posts can come across the wrong way. So I just wanted to give a blanket apology for past and future posts. If I have, in any way, hurt anyone with the things I may or may not joke about, I am truely sorry. I don't intentionally want to offend anyone, nor do I want anyone to feel judged or attacked by me.
When in dought about a post of mine read it aloud with a goofy smile on your face and see if it still bothers you. If it does please PM me so that I can clarify and/or apologize. I feel strongly about keeping an open mind and not 'condeming' someone without further attempts at understanding. Then I'll burn you at the stake - JK! (Where are those darn sprinkles:rolleyes:)
We can always agree to dissagree. I don't feel that my views on the world and how it works are the only or 'right' way. Varity is the spice of life.

Also, every once in a while (like 2-3 times a day LOL) one of my small men will interrupt me while I am posting and I don't get a chance to really articulate my thoughts. And I can't spell to save my life LOL.

Thanks for reading - I felt compelled to share this with you all. :)

I have learned that no matter how nice you may type something, with ALL the personalities/people in the world, SOMEONE will get offended if you speak.I've learned there are sometimes times to apologize because you didn't mean to hurt someone, and sometimes you just have to have a tough skin yourself because the same ones taking offense often cause offense later.If you don't want to offend at all, you have to not speak, which is not what forums are about. They are about sharing life and helping. Hopefully, I and you and others word things in a way to help MOST people and offend few, versus offend most and help few.:)(I too have a sense of humor on 90% of occasions if no one noticed...)

Crystal,
I had to take a second look at your thread after I started reading. I thought you were talking about Hoof n Mouth disease (yes there really is a disease named this). I was intrigued to read from the heading title.I know what you mean about not always being able to say what I am thinking. Sometimes when it comes out is sounds all wrong as well. I don't want to offend anyone with any of my comments, but I know I can come across wrong sometimes. Please know that I have never wanted to condemn anyone for their choices. I am not one to judge others. I was an high school drop out and unwed mother at 16 years old. I know how it feels to have people judge you for their own reasons, but don't know you at all.

tlag1986 said:
Crystal,
I had to take a second look at your thread after I started reading. I thought you were talking about Hoof n Mouth disease (yes there really is a disease named this). I was intrigued to read from the heading title.

I know what you mean about not always being able to say what I am thinking. Sometimes when it comes out is sounds all wrong as well. I don't want to offend anyone with any of my comments, but I know I can come across wrong sometimes. Please know that I have never wanted to condemn anyone for their choices.

I am not one to judge others. I was an high school drop out and unwed mother at 16 years old. I know how it feels to have people judge you for their own reasons, but don't know you at all.

What a real shame people have to judge others for their past! I always look at as "but for the grace of God, I would be in that situation" so I never judge others for their past! You have to realize some people mouth off without thinking. I had a man at my former Church that "If you had been a more submissive wife, you would still be married." I looked at him and said, "Being submissive had nothing to do with it. He hit me and knocked me down and I refuse to be abused." His mouth dropped and he never said another word!

Crystal, that being said (sorry for the minor highjack), I think sometimes we all need to realize that the typed word has no "emotion" attached to it unless it is in ALL CAPS. Opinions are just that... Sometimes we all need to take a step back and breathe...

Crystal--I'm with ya, sister. Most of the time this forum is fun, lighthearted, and a great source of PC info/suggestions. Things do get heated at times. Some people are more sensitive than others. Once you're upset or offended, it's nearly impossible to read other people's posts without hearing more offense. From there it just snowballs.Because others can't see the "goofy smile on your face," they don't know you're kidding. Because you can't see their posture and facial expression change as you're speaking, you have no chance to change the course of your statement. (Using "you" in the general sense, of course. Trust me. I speak from experience.)I decided years ago that most of the time when we're offended or have our feelings hurt it's because we misunderstand the meaning behind someone's statement. Since that time I have chosen to not take offense. If there is a positive way to take a statement (i.e. interesting sweater), that's the one I choose to take it (yep, my sweater is interesting--that's why I bought it). This makes it easier for people to come to me with all kinds of issues, since they've seen that I don't easily take offense. It makes my life easier because I'm not nursing hurt feelings over lots of little things. And, finally, it really irritates that small percentage of people who were actually trying to offend or hurt me. Frustrates them to no end. ;) Now that's fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the disclaimer Crystal. That was very nice of you.

Here's my new approach, especially with internet boards - do I really care what the poster thinks of me/my ethnicity/my politics/my religion/my lifestyle? Sure it would be nice to be liked, respected, or just understood by everyone, but that's not going to happen.

When you think about it, how many people's opinions of you really matter to you, and in what areas? The shorter that list is, the happier you will be, because you'll live your life according to your values, not someone else's.

With regard to posting comments that might hurt others, the "in their shoes" approach is a good one, and it's hard to do!

Words on paper (or computer) cannot convey the same as words spoken. It's always a risk. It's like someone said in another thread...the post may have been with all the best intention, but if that person is having a bad day or feeling a particular way, they will read the tone they think it has. Can't please all of the people all of the time. I'm just glad we have an 'edit' button on our posts!! Even a DELETE button! Some places, you don't even get that or it disappears after 10 minutes or something.

:D I thought you were talking about that rash that kids get on their feet and in their mouth!:D

I stick my foot in my mouth all the time but that is my out spoken personality. Most people just know to look at me or laugh with me.:D

I have to laugh, too! I was thinking the same thing Jennifer was thinking ("uggghh, someone's baby has hand,foot mouth disease":yuck:)...glad it wasn't that...not a fun experience to go through...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will take all your words of advise to heart.

Mainly I wanted to state in black and white (actually our brackground is kind-a tan LOL) that when I am posting my intention is never to hurt anyone's feelings. Whether they agree with me or not I always try to be respectful, but my sence of humore can make it come across in a different light.

Got to go, small men want breakfast.:cool:

pamperedbybarbara said:
I have to laugh, too! I was thinking the same thing Jennifer was thinking ("uggghh, someone's baby has hand,foot mouth disease":yuck:)...glad it wasn't that...not a fun experience to go through...

Me too. I was thinking to myself "what was she doing in the McDonald's playground?" (that's where my friend's kids got it)

Related to Understanding Foot in Mouth Disease: My Apology and Humorous Perspective

1. What is "Foot in Mouth Disease"?

"Foot in Mouth Disease" is a figure of speech used to describe a situation where someone says something inappropriate or embarrassing without intending to.

2. How do you avoid getting "Foot in Mouth Disease"?

The best way to avoid getting "Foot in Mouth Disease" is to think before you speak and choose your words carefully. It's also important to be aware of your surroundings and the people you are speaking to.

3. Can "Foot in Mouth Disease" be cured?

While there is no cure for "Foot in Mouth Disease", it can be prevented by being mindful of your words and actions. Apologizing and acknowledging your mistake can also help in mitigating the effects of the disease.

4. Is "Foot in Mouth Disease" contagious?

No, "Foot in Mouth Disease" is not a physical illness and cannot be transmitted from one person to another. However, it can spread through social interactions and cause harm to relationships.

5. What should I do if I accidentally get "Foot in Mouth Disease"?

If you find yourself in a situation where you have said something awkward or inappropriate, the best course of action is to apologize sincerely and try to make amends. It's also important to learn from the experience and be more careful with your words in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sherri lynn
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • Shawnna
  • General Chat
Replies