• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I effectively approach people and book parties at my first booth event?

-something pretty on the table (like flowers or décor), but don't overdo it-something to hand out (like flyers, catalogs, etc.), and make sure it's not too distracting-a place for people to sit-a place for people to eat (if you're providing food)
Dreamer1930
Well I have 2 different occassions for booths. Mind you this is my first booths every!!!!! :eek: First I've been reading a ton on this site and got some great ideas. What is the best way to approach people and start talking to them? How would you begin to start booking parties, recruiting and so on? Will it be like a swarm of people coming to your table or do you approach them while passing?

So far I've gotten:
1. Decorate the table tastefully! great products but don't over do it!
2. something to hand out such as Smartie with tag, old catalogs, mini catalogs, flyers, small gifts

The thing I'm not sure of is.....what or how much flyers or handouts should I try to predict? What's the safe number? I have no clue how many plan or have came in the past either.

Any help or direction would be so greatly appreciated!!!!;)

I have done a ton of booths/fairs/vendor days/etc, etc. My advice...

Be approachable. Smile, have breath mints available and use them. Comb your hair and/or style it appropriately. Slap on a bit of lip stick/lip gloss (if you wear this sort of thing. Myself, I find that it livens up your face somewhat, but that's just me) Make sure your clothes are neat/pressed, etc. I have stopped wearing my apron (I hate it) and have gone to a Pampered Chef shirt. In the summer, I wore my PC ball cap for the outside fairs. But always something that says PC on me.

Love the idea of having some products, but not the whole catalog on display. Way too busy. Be creative with your tablescape. Add some seasonal decoration, but keep it simple.

I make a recipe card that I print on glossy stock and cut into quarters to pass out. One side had a recipe, the other my info regarding booking shows, recruiting etc. I used the same recipe all summer long so I made a bunch (probably 500 for myself this summer. Like I said, I do alot of these sort of things,whenever I get the opportunity. Plus, any cards I have left over I just keep for the next occasion.) It's always better to have too many than not enough.

I don't offer catalogs to just anybody. Of course, if you book and pick a date then and there, you get the host packet, but if you want a catalog, I need your info. I usually have a drawing for a cookbook at my table/booth. I use the slips to ask for contact info so that I can follow up with someone if I give them a current catalog. I am currently using the door prize slips for booths, but not really happy with them.

I don't hand out candy or anything like that. No samples. People just swarm for the samples and you are left with an empty bowl/tray and nothing to show for it.

If I have old catalogs/mini cats around, I will give them out. Once again, to get something current from me, I need to see some interest and have contact info so that I can follow up.

I smile and talk to everybody. Someone once told me I could talk to a streetlamp! Leave any shyness in your car and just be warm and welcoming. Seriously, this could mean the difference of someone booking a show with you, or not. I had the experience this summer of a lady coming to my booth at the last fair I was at and telling me that she was ready to book a show at the fair the week before, but didn't get a good feeling about the consultant in the booth. So, be friendly, happy, cheerful, and confident.

Bring some water. Regarding eating in/at your booth, sometimes you just have to have a bite of something, esp when you don't have someone to cover for you. Be discreet and neat. People at these things understand, plus who can resist fair food!

Make friends with the vendors around you. 9 times out of 10, I end up booking someone who is next or near me. Everyone loves PC!

I almost forgot, have a help wanted sign and have recruiting information available.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck, you will do fine.

I just listened to a training CD about Fairs and Trade Shows (it wasn't PC, but it was good). Here are a few additions to the good advice Carol has given you:If your booth makes it possible, put your table against the back of the space so people have to enter your both to get a good look at what you have and sign up for your giveaway. Make sure you have an attractive giveaway. Wrap it in cellophane and add a ribbon. Make it something people will want to sign up for. (You don't have to spend a lot to give away something good.)Make sure your sign-up sheet is quick and simple. The more people have to read and fill out, the less likely they are to complete the form.When you speak to people, ask if they are enjoying the expo/fair/whatever. Polite conversation will draw them in.Don't view this as a selling opportunity. View it as a booking/recruiting opportunity. I usually have decent sales, but I don't go in with that expectation. (I don't do cash & carry, but I do pay the extra to have the products shipped directly to the customer's house. This keeps me from spending time and money delivering the products later.)

Thank you, I'll be taking everything into consideration. Seems like it will be fun so I'll make sure I'll have some extra coffee in me..LOL Usually that gets me going and kinda gets rid of the shyness.

PamperChefCarol said:
I have done a ton of booths/fairs/vendor days/etc, etc. My advice...

Be approachable. Smile, have breath mints available and use them. Comb your hair and/or style it appropriately. Slap on a bit of lip stick/lip gloss (if you wear this sort of thing. Myself, I find that it livens up your face somewhat, but that's just me) Make sure your clothes are neat/pressed, etc. I have stopped wearing my apron (I hate it) and have gone to a Pampered Chef shirt. In the summer, I wore my PC ball cap for the outside fairs. But always something that says PC on me.

Love the idea of having some products, but not the whole catalog on display. Way too busy. Be creative with your tablescape. Add some seasonal decoration, but keep it simple.

I make a recipe card that I print on glossy stock and cut into quarters to pass out. One side had a recipe, the other my info regarding booking shows, recruiting etc. I used the same recipe all summer long so I made a bunch (probably 500 for myself this summer. Like I said, I do alot of these sort of things,whenever I get the opportunity. Plus, any cards I have left over I just keep for the next occasion.) It's always better to have too many than not enough.

I don't offer catalogs to just anybody. Of course, if you book and pick a date then and there, you get the host packet, but if you want a catalog, I need your info. I usually have a drawing for a cookbook at my table/booth. I use the slips to ask for contact info so that I can follow up with someone if I give them a current catalog. I am currently using the door prize slips for booths, but not really happy with them.

I don't hand out candy or anything like that. No samples. People just swarm for the samples and you are left with an empty bowl/tray and nothing to show for it.

If I have old catalogs/mini cats around, I will give them out. Once again, to get something current from me, I need to see some interest and have contact info so that I can follow up.

I smile and talk to everybody. Someone once told me I could talk to a streetlamp! Leave any shyness in your car and just be warm and welcoming. Seriously, this could mean the difference of someone booking a show with you, or not. I had the experience this summer of a lady coming to my booth at the last fair I was at and telling me that she was ready to book a show at the fair the week before, but didn't get a good feeling about the consultant in the booth. So, be friendly, happy, cheerful, and confident.

Bring some water. Regarding eating in/at your booth, sometimes you just have to have a bite of something, esp when you don't have someone to cover for you. Be discreet and neat. People at these things understand, plus who can resist fair food!

Make friends with the vendors around you. 9 times out of 10, I end up booking someone who is next or near me. Everyone loves PC!

I almost forgot, have a help wanted sign and have recruiting information available.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck, you will do fine.

Wow Carol, you have some great ideas. Have you done bridal fairs? Just wondering about decorating for those or any other specific ideas relating to this type of fair.

Honestly .... I have become an advocate of the "free cooking show" drawing ... but also have been taken to asking people for their contact info in exchange for a catalog, explaining that it doesn't obligate them to anything but allows me to keep them in the loop about specials and stuff. Sometimes I get an "I'll call you" (they never do) but sometimes it works out.

These are great ideas, especially the recipe cards. Where do you get the recipes for that size to print out?
Thanks,
BeckyS

You don't have to make one Becky. You can purchase Recipe Card packs from the Supply/Paperwork Order form. It will save you ink and time. I'm sure Carol's look lovely though.

PChefPEI said:
Wow Carol, you have some great ideas. Have you done bridal fairs? Just wondering about decorating for those or any other specific ideas relating to this type of fair.

I have done several bridal expos and haven't had much success with any of these. My experience is that the brides attending these things have a future date a year or more down the road and are just window shopping for ideas and freebies. The ones I have been involved with have all been very pricy and I have gotten nothing out of them. Doesn't mean you won't or can't and maybe it's just the area of the country that I am near.

My display at bridal fairs is pretty simple. I use the 3 tier stand to get some height, white tuile draped around some items, the trifle bowl with some tools in it, wedding brochures, a piece of cookware, some SA items.and some stand up signs about PC and the wedding registy.

Chef Kearns said:
You don't have to make one Becky. You can purchase Recipe Card packs from the Supply/Paperwork Order form. It will save you ink and time. I'm sure Carol's look lovely though.

I wouldn't say lovely!! But I like doing them myself as it allows me to customize them and have them available at a moments notice. Plus, I have a huge laser printer! I do use the PC recipe cards when I work a booth with a fellow consultant. We coordinate the same recipe so that a person won't take mine, then go to her and take hers too.

1. What is "Okie Dokie, Where Do I Begin"?

"Okie Dokie, Where Do I Begin" is a starter set from Pampered Chef that includes essential tools for cooking and baking. It is designed to help beginners get started in the kitchen and make meal preparation easier.

2. What tools are included in the "Okie Dokie, Where Do I Begin" set?

The set includes a chef's knife, a paring knife, a cutting board, a mixing bowl, and a spatula. These tools are versatile and can be used for a variety of cooking and baking tasks.

3. Is the "Okie Dokie, Where Do I Begin" set suitable for beginners?

Yes, this set is perfect for beginners. It includes all the basic tools needed for cooking and baking, and the quality of the products is excellent. It is also a great gift for someone who is just starting to learn how to cook.

4. Can I purchase additional tools to add to the "Okie Dokie, Where Do I Begin" set?

Yes, you can purchase additional tools from Pampered Chef to add to your set. We offer a wide range of kitchen tools and gadgets that are compatible with the "Okie Dokie, Where Do I Begin" set.

5. Is the "Okie Dokie, Where Do I Begin" set dishwasher safe?

Yes, all the tools included in the set are dishwasher safe. However, we recommend hand washing for better maintenance and longevity of the products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SPAMSTIME
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
sherri lynn
Replies
Views
niclowther
  • ilovpc
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies