• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

First Booth a Flop...bad Venue or User Error??

In summary, the author did not do well at a small two-day kids consignment sale because he did not have any quality leads. He should have done a draw and had something to hand out to draw people in. He should have kept his table less cluttered and put more emphasis on product. He did better at events with other vendors where people came prepared to shop.
Jennie50
I have been a PC consultant for a whopping week and a half and was riding high on a pretty successful week. That all came to a screeching halt this weekend...I just had my first vendor booth at a small two-day kids consignment sale, and it was a complete bust. No orders. No bookings. No recruits. I need help in determining what I did wrong so that I can improve my success next time...

First of all, I'm wondering if I chose the wrong place to start. It was only the second consignment sale for these ladies, and it was small and not terribly well organized. It was not in a great location and foot traffic was slow throughout the whole event. I did talk with a couple of people and hand out a few mini catalogs, but did not have any quality leads.

I shared a booth with a friend who represents Scentsy, in order to swap childcare. We kept our products on opposite ends of the table, but tried to pull the booth together with cohesive decor (attached pic...it was a holiday kids' sale, so our decorations were Christmasy). I started out standing, but ended up sitting off to the side most of the time because 1) it felt awkard to stand for two straight days, and 2) I worried that people would avoid the table entirely, if they felt that I was standing there ready to pounce. I stuffed a bunch of tools in stockings and had a sign saying that PC kitchen tools and gift certificates made great stocking stuffers. I did not do any demos, did not have any drawings, and did not have any cash 'n carry items...should I have?

What do you find are the best venues for vendor booths? Craft fairs? Flea markets? Holiday shows with vendors from a variety of home party businesses? I'd appreciate any feedback or advice you may have!

Attachments

• Pampered Chef booth.jpg
    Pampered Chef booth.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 946
Definitely do a draw. That's a way to start a conversation and get information from people...you can fill out the draw slip for them so you can ask the questions you need to and more importantly, ask the follow up questions you need to. I like having something to hand out, like recipe cards...it draws people in and breaks the ice so they don't feel awkward when you're standing there. It's really hit and miss. . . but don't quit! I do every single one I can. Some I get nothing, some are awesome. Never many sales, but usually bookings and recruit leads. I would say 99% of the bookings come from me doing a draw and have some kind of "Book TODAY and get...." promo (this month it was just the host special - "Book a November show TODAY and get 2 items at 60% off!")

To add to what PamperedK said . . . A consignment sale will generally draw people who like to get the very best bargain. While you and I know that PC is a great deal, many people really don't get that. In that setting I might have gone with a big sign that said, "Never Pay Retail!" Your table is lovely, but there's a lot on it. My experience says that the less I have on the table the more they pay attention to what's there. Many people are quickly overwhelmed visually. Finally, I never, ever do cash & carry. It just isn't worth it to me to invest in something if I'm not sure someone wants it.Now, these are my opinions of things that work with in my area. My guess is that someone will disagree with every single one of them. LOL! The most important things are (1) keep at it, whether that's with this venue or others, and (2) never pay more for a booth than you can afford. I always consider booths a way of advertising.That said, make sure the place you were has your contact info in case someone comes in a week from now asking about the Pampered Chef person who was there.

I just did a booth recently at a Just Between Friends (resale) event. I also found that everyone there was looking for super cheap bargains. I did get one booking who decided to sign at her show & is now on my team. And 2 orders which were enough to make a catalog show. But I find that tables at events with other vendors where people come prepared to shop do better than that booth did. I'd rather do a 1 day event too. In Japan, I found that I did better at 2-5 hour events than I did at 2 day events. People tend to write down the shorter events on their calendar & make a point to be there during that time. On the longer events they just have it in their plans to come by sometime during the event & often times don't MAKE the time to get there. Plus, people are more likely to stop when a group is looking at something. The swarm around the table tends to do better for me than stragglers walking by.

I like to have some cash n carry on hand. Even having a few sets of quikut paring knives, twix-it clips and seasons best are great. I use these for gifts anyway so if they don't sell, doesn't matter. Also, as you earn free items, you may not want everything, especially if it's discontinued. People love discontinued items too. I would say it's more the venue. If it's a find something cheap event, people want a deal (not a good investment...we know we have products that are definitely cheaper over time). Stick with it and try again. You'll find something that you can see a future for and do it each year. Good luck!!

A drawing of some sort is the key for me as well! I always invite them to sign up for the free door prize, take a catalog (mini, usually, or old ones), and/or a recipe. I also ask about their favorite PC product. Be friendly at all times, smiling, saying hi to everyone that walks by. :) Better luck on the next booth! :)

I did a holiday bazaar this weekend and it went very well. 4 bookings in this month, 10 more possibles, 2 recuit leads, and $500 in sales. Now this was a annaul event and cost $100. I personally do not do drawings as many people dont want a show that enter just the free item. I do have some cash & carry but I also have a credit card terminal so people who dont have cash can still buy. I am thinking this was more a venue issue rather than a "you" issue. Alot of times those type of events wont turn out to well for those involved same with Stop and Shops set up by groups of Direct sellers. These types of events like said before are hit and miss. Try looking for Holiday Bazaar where people are looking to shop and spend money, not looking for deals. And events that cost money usally are successfull as they do advertising for the event. But remember only spend what you can afford to lose if the event does not go well. Do your homework on the event ask questions like.. How many usally attend? Do I need inventory to set up? What is the reason for the event? (such as company set-up event, foundraiser for a school or large organization) Is this an annaul event? Is the event inside or out? How big is the space? How many vendors? Will there be vendors selling the same type of thing? Does it cost for people to get into the event? These questions will let you get an idea of what the success will look like. Try to look for events that have an average attendence of about 2000 or more. Thats just my two cents :) I have done alot of booths in my one year in buisness( cluster refers to me as the booth king LOL) so I have learn a few things. Id love to share more but I need to get off lol

Sounds like the venue didn't have the right demographic for Pampered Chef. The best events have families with school-age kids and people who love cooking. I hope you didn't have to pay much for it!

Also, I think you need to stand and draw people into your booth. Sitting off to the side looks like you're disinterested, don't you think? At least at fairs I go to, I don't usually talk to people who are sitting down. It looks like they don't want to interact. I am much more likely to talk to someone who is standing right there and smiles & says hello to me.
It is a lot to stand for two days, and you need to keep positive & upbeat the entire time.Maybe ask a cluster mate to share events longer than one day.

I would not do any food demos at a booth, but I would definitely put product into people's hands and show/tell them how they work and how great they are.

The best booths I had were a chocolate festival & various ethnic festivals (Italian, Irish, Hispanic, etc) because those always have food, draw families, & make people think of cooking. Unfortunately the chocolate festival is no more, and the ethnic festivals have gotten so popular, the booth cost has gotten out of my price range.

I have a new booth next Saturday, a combination dance/cheer competition and holiday mart. The holiday mart is free to the public and the competition costs money to get into it.It was $50 for the the space and it's a one-day event. I am going to set up a lot of things to look like the holiday ideas on pamperedchef.com, red bows around git sets and the trifle bowl & prep bowls filled with red, white & green stuff. I will hand out free PC recipe cards with my label on them. I will raffle the free turkey,a chance for everyone who places an order.

Usually I don't do cash and carry, because they always want something I didn't bring. I did get the last sample order package A with all the taupe stoneware (cluster mate backed out on splittling it :mad:) so I hope to sell it there. Also I have a lot of odds and ends like old Season's Bests I am going to try & move. Wish me luck!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me! I appreciate all the feedback, and will take it all into consideration as I look for the next vendor opportunity.

I was disappointed with the lack of leads from this event, but it DID give me the opportunity to pull together a display and the experience of flopping without a huge investment...the booths were $30, which I split with my Scentsy friend, so the only expense I had was the $15 fee and the $5 I spent on candy for the trifle bowl.

I will order some recipe cards in ASAP (as I said, I have only been a consultant for a very short time and didn't have time to get anything in when the booth opportunity presented itself), and will think about a drawing. The only item I had on-hand from my kit that I considered doing a drawing for was the Classic Batter Bowl. Those of you who find drawings beneficial, what do YOU give away? Is there a pricepoint that you find worth it? Do you put limitations on those who can enter the drawing or give incentives to those who book parties (ex. double entries for hosts?)?

Again, thank you so much for your words 'o wisdom! ☺

As a rule, my raffles are as follows:

Enter to Win a $25 PC Gift Certificate (made by me, redeemable only through me, and must be used by a certain date.)

After the raffle, I pick a winner, call that person, and either send them a catalog with the certificate or pick a day (2-3 days later) to call to get order. 95% of the time they spend $50-$100 with me so the $25 is totally worth it.

Then I call every single person that entered the raffle and tell them the won my consolation prize of a Free Cooking Show! (said with tremendous excitement) Go on to explain the "Free" and then either book a show then or find out when to call back. I usually give them a certain amount of time to schedule the free cooking show (right now it'd be between now and end of January).

Before hanging up, I always ask if there was anything they saw at my booth or in the catalog that they'd like to have now. Generally will get a few last minute orders.

I always have a drawing for a $25 gift certificate, just like the above post, redeemable only through me.

I love drawings because I get contacts. I have many people book parties this way, but also tons of people who give me email addresses and phone numbers. Then I can put them on my newsletter list, and/or give them a customer care call. This has been a huge business booster for me.

If they don't want to sign up for some reason or another, I always offer a recipe and/or mini-catalog with my information on it.

Good luck!

Since you are brand new, ask your recruiter or director if either has old some catalogs you can use for booths. I put a sticker on each that indicates it is out of date "Though the date may be old, just look inside and you'll be sold. Many great products you will see; host a party and earn some FREE". Then I staple a current promotional flier (1/4 or 1/2 sheet of paper) letting them know this month and next month's special, with an offer to get an extra $10 product FREE if they book and host by a certain date (no more than 10 weeks out. Normally 2 months, but with the holidays I add a little time.)I like the drawing idea with the party as the "consolation prize." I've had the FREE party as my main prize before so that I only get good leads. When you have a drawing, you can simply ask each passerby "Would you like to enter to win X?" Also, as you heard, offer recipes. I print out the Holiday recipes we have online on colored paper (rather than using colored ink) so I can offer each person recipes as well. So if they don't want a free gift certificate/party/batter bowl, at least they have a holiday recipe with your contact info. on it. Have clipboards with the drawing slip on it so they had it back to you. That way, you can make notes on the back before you put it in the box/bag/pot so that you remember something about the person later. If they give you their contact info, then it is OK to contact them later! Definitely do not sit behind your table or off to the side, as you will look disinterested. If sharing a booth, simply ask the other person to cover for you while you take a 5 minute restroom break and go sit elsewhere for a few moments if you need it.

aPamperedBride said:
Since you are brand new, ask your recruiter or director if either has old some catalogs you can use for booths. I put a sticker on each that indicates it is out of date "Though the date may be old, just look inside and you'll be sold. Many great products you will see; host a party and earn some FREE". Then I staple a current promotional flier (1/4 or 1/2 sheet of paper) letting them know this month and next month's special, with an offer to get an extra $10 product FREE if they book and host by a certain date (no more than 10 weeks out. Normally 2 months, but with the holidays I add a little time.)

I like the drawing idea with the party as the "consolation prize." I've had the FREE party as my main prize before so that I only get good leads. When you have a drawing, you can simply ask each passerby "Would you like to enter to win X?" Also, as you heard, offer recipes. I print out the Holiday recipes we have online on colored paper (rather than using colored ink) so I can offer each person recipes as well. So if they don't want a free gift certificate/party/batter bowl, at least they have a holiday recipe with your contact info. on it. Have clipboards with the drawing slip on it so they had it back to you. That way, you can make notes on the back before you put it in the box/bag/pot so that you remember something about the person later. If they give you their contact info, then it is OK to contact them later! Definitely do not sit behind your table or off to the side, as you will look disinterested. If sharing a booth, simply ask the other person to cover for you while you take a 5 minute restroom break and go sit elsewhere for a few moments if you need it.

When doing a booth, I usually have my apron on or PC logo wear, and alot of times, when I'm on a break, someone comments on my apron. I've gotten lots of leads in the bathroom or by the lunch stand!! LOL

1. What is considered a "flop" for a first booth at a Pampered Chef event?

A "flop" for a first booth at a Pampered Chef event would be when the sales and attendance are significantly lower than expected or desired. This could also include a lack of interest or engagement from attendees.

2. How do I determine if the venue or my own efforts are to blame for a poor first booth experience?

It can be difficult to determine the exact cause of a poor first booth experience, but some factors to consider are the location and layout of the venue, the target audience, and your own marketing and promotional efforts. It's important to gather feedback from attendees and analyze your own performance to make improvements for future events.

3. What can I do to improve my booth setup and presentation for a first event?

Some tips for improving your booth setup and presentation include creating an eye-catching display, offering samples or demonstrations, providing clear and concise information about your products, and engaging with attendees in a friendly and approachable manner.

4. How can I attract more attendees to my first booth at a Pampered Chef event?

To attract more attendees to your first booth at a Pampered Chef event, you can utilize social media and other online platforms to promote the event, offer special deals or promotions, collaborate with other vendors or event organizers, and create a visually appealing and inviting booth setup.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid for a first booth at a Pampered Chef event?

Some common mistakes to avoid for a first booth at a Pampered Chef event include not researching the target audience and their interests, not properly promoting the event, not having enough product on hand, and not engaging with attendees. It's also important to have a backup plan in case of any unexpected challenges or setbacks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kasper2010
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
jbondr
  • SPAMSTIME
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies