• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host's Mom Has Heart Attack: Show Must Go On

In summary, my host for tomorrow night just called to tell me that her mom had a heart attack last night and is in the hospital. Her biggest concern was that she didn't order the DCB at her show, because she was going to get it from her daughter's show - so my host for tomorrow is taking a catalog to the hospital this afternoon so she can place her order.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
My host for tomorrow night just called to tell me that her mom had a heart attack last night and is in the hospital.

She booked her show from her mom's show - and her mom is my sweet, wonderful 90 year old host who pulled off an $800 show w/ 3 bookings!

Right now, she is saying unless there is a change for the worse, she still wants to have the show. I told her I would pick up ingredients for her, so she doesn't have to worry about that part. She told me her mom is worried about not being able to make it to the show, and wondering who is going to pick up her friends and bring them? (She was bringing 2 friends with her!) Her biggest concern was that she didn't order the DCB at her show, because she was going to get it from her daughter's show - so my host for tomorrow is taking a catalog to the hospital this afternoon so she can place her order. (Can you tell that Grandma Esther is one spunky lady?)

Part of me wondered if I should offer to reschedule the show, but they seem to have a "the show must go on" attitude....so I'm following their lead on this.

Poor Grandma Esther! I think taking their lead is the right thing to do. Don't know, but maybe could you stop by the hospital before the show to say hi? I'm sure she would love that!

Could you move the party to her hospital room? That is a way out there suggestion, but maybe you'll get more orders from the nurses and staff members.

I would keep the show if the host still wants to, but just make sure she knows that she can cancel at the last minute if something happens with her mom. Personally, I would not even try to have a show in a hospital... it is NOT the place for it. However, if you wanted to make extras of what you were making and take it to Grandma Ester (and the hospital staff), I'm sure everyone would love you and you might pick up an extra order or two from the staff!

I would do as the host wants. These are some dedicated PC host from the sound of it!

Having been through heart attacks with my dad... I think that having something positive to focus on ... and having this dear soul worrying about her friends getting a ride... then for sure: The show MUST go on! Have fun!

I think that is a GREAT idea to stop by the hospital! She is the most amazing woman, and it's something I would like to do - with or without a show!

I agree- if they are still planning to have it, then let them! Would a lot of the guests of this show know Grandma Esther? If so, maybe you could pick up a funny get well card and have everyone sign it for her. Maybe even take a group picture of everyone with a digital camera and put a print of it in the card.

Maybe you could even do heart healthy food in honor of the past host!

instead of food since she may be on a restricted diet now I would send a bouquet of flowers tomorrow morning and maybe include a note that the shipping is on you or something.....

Go with the show - it's what she wants!!!! It is keeping her going! :)...and yes, bring her a gift at the hospital, that would be sweet!

I would do the show if that's what the host wants - they could use that distraction. I would not do it at the hospital - first of all they would kick you out anyway and second of all it's not appropriate. A visit would be nice if you feel that you know her well enough - I'd at least get a card and leave it with her daughter though.

Ask the daughter to leave a catalog on the table in the room. The nurses will see it and you might get a booking or at least orders from it.

Good luck! And I'll keep her and the family in my prayers.

Update:I just talked to MaryAnn (the daughter) and she said her mom is doing good - but tomorrow she has to have 2 stints put in. So I think tomorrow I will just let her rest. I usually give my past host a small gift at the shows booked from hers, so tomorrow evening I will pass around a Season's Best, and have everyone write a note to her, and then maybe the next day, take it to her and visit for a few minutes.
I'm just glad that she is doing better!

ChefBeckyD said:
I just talked to MaryAnn (the daughter) and she said her mom is doing good - but tomorrow she has to have 2 stints put in. So I think tomorrow I will just let her rest. I usually give my past host a small gift at the shows booked from hers, so tomorrow evening I will pass around a Season's Best, and have everyone write a note to her, and then maybe the next day, take it to her and visit for a few minutes.

Good plan - it will be extra special signed by everyone there!

ChefBeckyD said:
I just talked to MaryAnn (the daughter) and she said her mom is doing good - but tomorrow she has to have 2 stints put in. So I think tomorrow I will just let her rest. I usually give my past host a small gift at the shows booked from hers, so tomorrow evening I will pass around a Season's Best, and have everyone write a note to her, and then maybe the next day, take it to her and visit for a few minutes.

:thumbup: Great idea! I'm sure she'll love your thoughtfulness. And don't forget to have some catalogs on you when you go to visit. Hospital staff hold WONDERFUL shows (they can do amazing things with a catalog show).

I would take cues from the host. When my mom had a stroke something fun would have been wonderful! For the fact she asked for a catalog at the hospital tells me the heart attack may have been mild (still not good, but not massive). I would not attempt a show at the hospital at all - she is probably on a special diet, and I think that would be too many people in a room, but you could encourage an outside order from the nurses! Maybe even offer to "Pamper the Nurses" with a healthy recipe for taking good care of such a wonderful past host.

Heh....I keep reading the posts on this thread and just wanted to say...the show at the hospital was a joke!!! I didn't really mean it!!! I guess I forgot to put the smilies - I was trying to get off the puter as fast as possible :D

cmdtrgd said:
Heh....I keep reading the posts on this thread and just wanted to say...the show at the hospital was a joke!!! I didn't really mean it!!! I guess I forgot to put the smilies - I was trying to get off the puter as fast as possible :D
No worries! :love: Just didn't want the newbies to think this would be a good idea!

Here's your smilies:
:D :p :p :D :rolleyes:

cmdtrgd said:
You're getting like me - no one knows if I'm serious or not anymore.

I'm usually not.

I think having a small show in her room is a GREAT idea. A hospital room is a pretty boring place - and the last place anyone needs to go, if they need rest, is a hospital!

ChefBeckyD said:
My host for tomorrow night just called to tell me that her mom had a heart attack last night and is in the hospital.

She booked her show from her mom's show - and her mom is my sweet, wonderful 90 year old host who pulled off an $800 show w/ 3 bookings!

Right now, she is saying unless there is a change for the worse, she still wants to have the show. I told her I would pick up ingredients for her, so she doesn't have to worry about that part. She told me her mom is worried about not being able to make it to the show, and wondering who is going to pick up her friends and bring them? (She was bringing 2 friends with her!) Her biggest concern was that she didn't order the DCB at her show, because she was going to get it from her daughter's show - so my host for tomorrow is taking a catalog to the hospital this afternoon so she can place her order. (Can you tell that Grandma Esther is one spunky lady?)

Part of me wondered if I should offer to reschedule the show, but they seem to have a "the show must go on" attitude....so I'm following their lead on this.

Becky, I TOTALLY understand! When I had my show 7+ years ago to get started as a consultant, my recruiter was the consultant that did it. While she was doing my show, her mother was having open heart surgery! I really felt like a heel having the show, but she kept assuring me she would rather be doing PC at my house than pacing the floor at the hospital! Maybe it is the same situation for your host???

I would go with the host. Most people I know would tell me if they did not want to the show in this kind of situation.

I'm getting ready to go to this show.....I bought the ingredients, so she wouldn't have to worry about shopping....and am doing all of the prep here, and will be doing a quick demo. Instead of the 30 minute chicken, we are doing Mom's Apple Crisp, and I have Spinach Artichoke Dip that guests will snack on during the demo. That way, we can pull off an Express Show. She has been at the hospital all afternoon with Esther, so I don't want this to be a long evening for her.

Let us know how it goes. Have a good night!

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm getting ready to go to this show.....I bought the ingredients, so she wouldn't have to worry about shopping....and am doing all of the prep here, and will be doing a quick demo. Instead of the 30 minute chicken, we are doing Mom's Apple Crisp, and I have Spinach Artichoke Dip that guests will snack on during the demo. That way, we can pull off an Express Show. She has been at the hospital all afternoon with Esther, so I don't want this to be a long evening for her.

I made the Apple Crisp on Sunday - yum!
Have a great show!

Hope you have a great show! This just might be the little "pick me up" the host needs in this situation.

Update:Sort of a weird show.......

There were 10 in attendance, but 2 ladies left without ordering. Everyone was VERY quiet.....most were either family or friends of Grandma Esther - so that may have alot to do with it. My host was wonderful - and she had possibly the most beautiful kitchen I have ever worked in. (and I've worked in MANY - both as a PC consultant, and as a personal chef & caterer)

Anyway, like I said, they were all quiet, and my normal joking around and teasing fell FLAT!
Sales are only at $220 (with 8 orders!) and so far, 1 booking.
Grandma Esther placed her order - the host bonus DCB, an All The Best cookbook, and Bamboo Tongs! Everyone did love the idea of signing the cookbook for her.......and she may be able to come home today. When she comes home, she will be staying with her daughter (Host from last night).
MaryAnn (the host) said that even under medication, Esther was most concerned about the PC party. She said she was very disoriented - kept forgetting she was in the hospital, etc......but when MaryAnn walked in the first thing she said to her was "don't forget I want those tongs"......and then "what are you doing here - you need to go get ready for the party."!:D

It's actually quite a tribute to Grandma Esther that everyone was worried about her. She sounds, from this and from your previous posts about her, like quite the firecracker!

chefann said:
It's actually quite a tribute to Grandma Esther that everyone was worried about her. She sounds, from this and from your previous posts about her, like quite the firecracker!

She is a firecracker! A most incredible woman......

Oh - and one more strange thing from last night - all but one of the people who ordered paid me in cash! I've never had that happen before.

Becky - It may have been wierd, sales were low, but you fulfilled YOUR purpose for the night of doing what the hosts and Grandma Esther wanted. That will last far longer than a show with large sales! Give them great customer service and who knows where it will lead someday! Good job!

1. What is "Conflicted Feelings" and how does it relate to Pampered Chef?

"Conflicted Feelings" is a cookbook written by Pampered Chef's founder, Doris Christopher. It features over 100 recipes that are perfect for busy families and individuals, as well as tips and tricks for using Pampered Chef products in the kitchen.

2. Can I purchase "Conflicted Feelings" through Pampered Chef?

Yes, "Conflicted Feelings" is available for purchase through the Pampered Chef website or through any Pampered Chef consultant.

3. Are the recipes in "Conflicted Feelings" easy to make?

Yes, the recipes in "Conflicted Feelings" are designed to be simple and easy to make, perfect for busy lifestyles. They also use common ingredients that can be found at most grocery stores.

4. Does "Conflicted Feelings" include any vegetarian or vegan recipes?

Yes, "Conflicted Feelings" includes a variety of recipes for different dietary preferences, including vegetarian and vegan options.

5. Are there any reviews or feedback from customers who have used "Conflicted Feelings"?

Yes, there are many positive reviews and feedback from customers who have used "Conflicted Feelings" and found the recipes to be delicious and easy to make. You can find these reviews on the Pampered Chef website or by asking your local Pampered Chef consultant.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Dotty
Replies
Views
sherri lynn
  • Nanisu
  • General Chat
Replies