• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hosting Dilemma: Should You Host a Party at Your Place or Someone Else's?

In summary, the potential host does not want to host the party at her house because her mom won't let her. She asked the author if she would host it here and the author is not sure. Personally, the author would host it because it is less work for the host and the hostess is sure to appreciate it.
pamperedape
I have a potential booking who doesn't want to host the party at her house. Her mom won't let her host it there, and she asked me if I would host it here. I'm not sure - what would you do?:confused:

Personally, I would! Less stuff you have to tote to someone else's house! You also get your own kitchen to cook in, and when that customers wants to see that one item that would normally have not brought, you will have it!

I have 2x and would for any of my hosts! It is easier and the host is sure appreciative!

I had a hostess who was thinking of becoming a consultant and that is what she wanted to do regularly--host the shows from her own home. If your house is usually clean and organized then it is really maybe easier for you and the hostess will appreciate it--(AND OWE YOU--haha).

Julie

jenniferknapp said:
Personally, I would! Less stuff you have to tote to someone else's house! You also get your own kitchen to cook in, and when that customers wants to see that one item that would normally have not brought, you will have it!

I second that!

Depends on how well I knew the host and the reason she didn't want to have it at her house. You don't want to have a show at your house and have the host invite a bunch of inconsiderate guests. But, if you know her well and know the type of people she would invite, I'd say go for it! I have done this for a friend and had a great time!

Yeah, I'm a *TAD* anal...

Okay, so I AM anal and my house always looks good despite having a four year old and a two month old. She has two small children and NO organization skills - when it comes to organizing stuff OR time!!

NOT packing up all that stuff sounds great and I am now going to call her and offer my home to her! Thanks for the input!!

Oh, do it for sure. In fact, starting this fall, I'm hosting one a month, calling it Cooking Classes - and getting a min of 3 "students" each. Prepaid and class comes with PC stuff. If your kitchen is set up for it, do it! It makes your host happy and other potential bookers might book because now they have an option over their small kitchen or other space limitations that might barr them from hosting their own show!

If you don't feel comfortable having it at your house (or your husband and/or kids don't) why not have it at a park? They are usually inexpensive or free to reserve and the guests could bring their kids and shuffle them off to the playground!

I would do it, and I have offered to potential hosts who used the excuse that their house wasn't big enough (not that mine is huge, but it's open so I have plenty of room). I say go for it!!

My Longaberger lady does this all the time. Her excuse is that she's severely allergic to both cats and dogs, so she can't actually stay in most people's homes for more than a few minutes.

As long as you're in the same area, I say go for it! (I tend to get a lot of shows with hosts who are 45 minutes away from me.)

I offer this. I don't have to carry my stuff and I live in a convenient location with lots of parking so it works great!

My Mary Kay lady only does shows in her home (though will do the odd poolside legs party on request from regular customers). She has a room dedicated to this (this obviously doesn't work for PC). I personally love it, you host a party, get the benefits, bring a snack and that's it! It's more like a "girls night out" than having it in your home.

My mom has offered me her kitchen if anyone wants to have a show for me but can't do it at their own home. I'm so thankful and excited cause my mom has a perfect setup (L shaped bar area by the oven, huge kitchen table in the same room, just perfect!!)

You could even try to get a couple of shows lined up one night after the other - no set-up and minimal dishes!

Devil's Advocate here.

It's your house. It's screaming children of people you don't know running through your house. What do you do?

There are some friends, family and long time Hosts I might do this for. . .but I would be leery of people I don't know well.

I would love to have my shows at my house. So much easier. Ground rules, first. NO children under a certain age, shoes off, they must give you the guest list with addresses and phone numbers, start and end time, hospitality bonus only if there are a certain amount in sales ($500). Creative Memories consultants have their classes in their own homes all the time. It seems to work for the ones I know.

yes, I LOVE to do the shows here, especially the fundraiser kickoff shows!!

OK, I've read this thread, and I have to agree! I only did it once, and no, I didn't actually know her, but she was a guest at a show. She was very pleasant, and told me she'd love to have a show, but hesitated, because she didn't think anyone would come.

As we talked, I found out that she'd attempted a candle party once. The demonstrator came, set up, she had lots of food prepared, and, she was right, no one came!!

I kept pursuing things, to find out that she lives in a very bad area of town!! In fact, she told me that she could "hear the gunshots" on Saturday nights from her windows!! YIKES!

She told me that cars could be "shot up", stolen, etc. I was thinking about how to politely "get out of this one", to tell you the truth. All I could think about is, I drive to her house, just to be mugged, maybe worse, and have no one even show up anyway?? No thanks!!

Anyway, before I knew it, I was offering my own home! She took me up on it, and her guests were literally "thanking me"!! as they entered the front door of my home!!

It was a good show, and they were very polite and appreciative. For me, it was a good decision.

As a previous poster said, I would definitely allow "no children" for this type of situation, however!!

Best of luck to you!!
Paula

A show is a show! I would love to have shows for others at my own home. I actually did a show once for a woman at someone else's house...fine with me, if it's okay with everyone else!

I did a show at my home once before, loved it. I would do it again in a heart beat. :)

Hosting at your home...my opinionI have a good friend selling PartyLite candles and she does most of her shows at her home. Quite successful at it BUT she has a room that can remain set up and doors that block off the living room from the rest of the home (i.e. pets, etc.) Because of her success, I tried offering shows at my home. It did lead to bookings from folks who couldn't or didnt' want to have a show at their home, however, it became a major hassle and I stopped. The reason? I felt that I was doing TWICE as much work as a regular show and just couldn't wrap my head around that on a regular basis. My house has several pets and kids coming thru all the time. No way to block off an area to leave products set up so I found myself being completely overwhelmed with time issues when I did the shows at my house. Also, I did about 6 and only 1 had more than 5 people in attendance, for whatever reason. (My philosphy is that people feel less "pressured" to attend if the show isn't at a host's actual home).

I DO do open houses, mystery host shows, etc. at my house, but I no longer offer my home as location option for a host. When an issue of "can't host at my house" comes up, I do work with the potential bookings to recommend a) find a person who will let you borrow their house... a friend, another family member, etc. ; b) find a secondary location that will allow the host to have an actual cooking show. Church centers are a big possibliity but I've also had parties in the back of a resteraunt/bar or city buildings or resterauants that allow such events with a small rental fee (host pays); and c) consider if a catalog or office party might be a better option. With the office party, you can make it a cooking show if you have the host bring recipe food and make a quick, ez, recipe for the co-workers.

If your home circumstances allow it WITH EASE, then go for it and congrats. Otherwise, I'd really coach for a different location.

1. What are the benefits of hosting a party at my own place?

Hosting a party at your own place allows you to have more control over the environment and set-up. You can also save on costs by not having to rent a venue. Additionally, you can showcase your own style and personal touch to the party.

2. Will I be responsible for all the preparations and clean-up if I host at my own place?

Yes, as the host, you will be responsible for preparing the space, setting up decorations and food, and cleaning up after the party. However, you can also ask your guests to help out with the clean-up to make it easier on you.

3. What are the advantages of hosting at someone else's place?

Hosting at someone else's place removes the stress of preparing and cleaning up, as the responsibility falls on the host. You also have the opportunity to experience a different environment and possibly try out new party ideas.

4. Are there any drawbacks to hosting at someone else's place?

One potential drawback is that you may have less control over the environment and set-up. You also may need to consider any rules or limitations set by the host, such as noise levels or bringing outside food and drinks.

5. Can I split the hosting responsibilities between my place and someone else's?

Yes, you can definitely split the hosting responsibilities between locations. For example, you can have the main party at your place, but have a smaller gathering at someone else's place for a different atmosphere. Just be sure to communicate and plan ahead with the other host to avoid any confusion or conflicts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• clshirk
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
katie0128
Replies
Views
Dotty
Replies
Views
LarissaRed123