• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Holding a Show on an Indian Reservation (Tax Exempt Customers)

In summary, the conversation is about submitting a show that was held on an Indian reservation. The guests are all tax exempt and require a specific tax exempt number, which is known as their band number in Canada. The process for obtaining this number involves filling out a form and indicating tax exempt status on the customer's order screen. There is some confusion about the process and someone suggests asking for feedback from others who have held similar shows. The conversation ends with someone expressing frustration with the wait time for customer service.
Karen
Gold Member
I'm in need of information on submitting a show that was held on a nearby Indian Reservation. This is a catalog and all of the guests live on the reservation, therefore they are all tax exempt.

I know there is a specific tax exempt number that I need from each guest, however I'm not sure if that is specifically what the number is called or if there is another name for it. (I believe this is similar to a tax-exempt organization placing an order, am I correct?)

Has anyone held shows similar to this that can provide some feedback?:confused:

Thanks a bunch!

In Canada it's called their band number. They all have it and know it off by heart or have easy access to it since they would use it regularly when doing their day to day shopping. In Canada you have to go on CC, under downloads, and get the 'Tribal Purchasing Chart', print it off, fill it out and mail or fax it in, in addition to clicking 'tax exempt' on the customer's order screen.

Clear as mud?

kcjodih said:
In Canada it's called their band number. They all have it and know it off by heart or have easy access to it since they would use it regularly when doing their day to day shopping. In Canada you have to go on CC, under downloads, and get the 'Tribal Purchasing Chart', print it off, fill it out and mail or fax it in, in addition to clicking 'tax exempt' on the customer's order screen.

Clear as mud?

Clear as mud! Thanks Jodi, I'll give it a try. I did try calling HO yesterday and after being on the call back list with a wait time of 3+ hours, receiving a call back and then still being put on hold for over 25 minutes I gave up. Why have the call back option if you are going to keep people on hold? Anyhow, thanks for the info!

1. How do I handle tax exemption for customers on an Indian reservation?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you are responsible for collecting and remitting sales tax for all purchases made during a show. However, since customers on Indian reservations are considered tax exempt, you will not need to collect sales tax from them. It is important to keep track of these tax exempt sales separately from your other sales for reporting purposes.

2. Do I need to provide any documentation for tax-exempt customers on an Indian reservation?

Yes, you will need to obtain a valid tax exemption certificate from the customer. This certificate should be on file for each tax-exempt customer and should include the customer's name and address, as well as their tax exemption number.

3. What if a customer on an Indian reservation does not have a tax exemption certificate?

If a customer on an Indian reservation does not have a tax exemption certificate, you will need to collect sales tax from them. It is important to follow the tax laws and regulations of the specific reservation, as they may differ from state or local laws.

4. How do I report sales to tax-exempt customers on an Indian reservation?

You should keep track of all sales made to tax-exempt customers on an Indian reservation separately from your other sales. This information will be needed for reporting purposes and may be requested by the tax authorities. You should also keep a record of the tax exemption certificate for each customer.

5. Are there any restrictions for holding a show on an Indian reservation?

It is important to check with the tribal authorities or the reservation's business department before holding a show on an Indian reservation. Some reservations may have specific regulations or restrictions for outside businesses conducting sales on their land. It is always best to obtain permission and follow any guidelines set by the reservation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sburnside
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
  • pampered.chris
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
chefann
  • ltricarico