• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help My Micro Cakes Are Dry and Spongy

In summary, the author is trying to make a microwave cake and the texture was dry and spongy/springy. The author recommends cutting down the cook time by 5-10%.
susanr613
Gold Member
I have tried making microwave cakes in the prep bowls and the fluted pan, and both times the texture was dry and spongy/springy, to the point where I threw out the cakes. :cry:

Any idea what may be the culprit?

Thanks!

I can't say for sure but I think you are cooking them too long. Maybe try cutting down your cook time by 5-10% of whatever you are cooking and seeing if that is any better.

In the Fluted Pan are you remembering to put the frosting scoops on? I forgot once and the cake was ... not so good.

If you are using box cake mixes, then I have found that Duncan Hinz is way better than Betty Crocker! The Betty Crocker ones do not come out very good! But this is in the rice cooker!

Ditto on too long. The part of the cake you see won't actually look correctly cooked - you should take it out just when you are SURE it is pulling away from the sides and/or cone of the pan. The bottom will still look gummy. It's OK!In my microwave it's 10 minutes, 2 minutes to rest on the counter, then flip for OO's and AHH's.And of course you're not doing a normal cake mix of ingredients, right? You want a mousse consistency as the batter goes in the microwave.

scottcooks said:
Ditto on too long. The part of the cake you see won't actually look correctly cooked - you should take it out just when you are SURE it is pulling away from the sides and/or cone of the pan. The bottom will still look gummy. It's OK!

In my microwave it's 10 minutes, 2 minutes to rest on the counter, then flip for OO's and AHH's.

And of course you're not doing a normal cake mix of ingredients, right? You want a mousse consistency as the batter goes in the microwave.

I mix it like the box says (my guests like this 'cus it's easy) then add 5-6 small scoops of frosting in the Small Scoop on top, then nuke it for 10 mins. It's alwasy yummy and so easy I sell a Fluted Pan ans Small Scoop to every pregnant woman who see's and eat's it, as well as several who aren't expecting. LOL

thanks so much for the tips - i was trying to make the choc velvet cake with strawberries in the fluted pan, which does not have icing in the ingredients or instructions. i will try to shorten the cooking time.

Good luck!!!

1. Why are my micro cakes dry and spongy?

Dry and spongy micro cakes are usually the result of overmixing the batter or not adding enough liquid. It is important to follow the recipe and only mix the batter until all ingredients are just combined. Additionally, make sure to accurately measure and add all liquid ingredients as specified in the recipe.

2. How can I prevent my micro cakes from becoming dry and spongy?

To prevent dry and spongy micro cakes, make sure to accurately measure and add all ingredients as specified in the recipe. Avoid overmixing the batter and only mix until all ingredients are just combined. You can also try adding a little bit of extra liquid, such as milk or water, to the batter if it seems too thick.

3. Can I salvage dry and spongy micro cakes?

In some cases, dry and spongy micro cakes can be salvaged. Try brushing the cakes with a simple syrup or flavored liquid, such as fruit juice, to add moisture back into the cakes. You can also try topping the cakes with a creamy frosting or drizzling them with a glaze to add moisture and flavor.

4. Is it necessary to use a specific type of flour for micro cakes?

Yes, using the correct type of flour is crucial for achieving the right texture in micro cakes. It is recommended to use cake flour for micro cakes, as it has a lower protein content and will result in a lighter and softer texture. All-purpose flour can also be used, but the cakes may be slightly denser.

5. How long should I bake my micro cakes for?

The baking time for micro cakes may vary depending on the recipe and oven. It is important to follow the recipe instructions and use a toothpick or cake tester to check for doneness. The cakes should be lightly golden and the toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center of a cake.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
  • SusanBP0129
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
SusanBP0129
  • pamperedlinda
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies