• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! My Homemade Pie Keeps Boiling Over!

In summary, pie recipes usually boil over. You can prevent it by using a pan under the pie, not overfilling, and making sure there are venting slits in the crust.
princessmeshelle
I GIVE UP! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:i like to make homemade pie. infact, i will even make the dough from scratch! but for the life of me i can't figure out what i am doin wrong. EVERYTIME i make one, it always boils over and makes a mess of my oven! :mad: i don't think i am overfilling & i have tried docking the bottom crust. if anyone has any hints on how to not get the boil over i would gladly appreciate it!

Re: PieFruit pies boil over. It's the nature of the beast. I usually put a pan under the pie. Our Stainless Steel Sheet Pans covered with parchment paper are perfect for that.

Re: Piejust don't use a stone

Re: Piein this instance..... Tin foil is your friend! I line the bottom of my oven with it.

When the fruit and the sugar mix it naturally creates juice. So you end up with LOTS more liquid than you put in.

What kind of Pie are you making?

Re: PieJust be careful lining the oven bottom with foil. If you have a self-cleaning oven you can damage it. I'm not sure why, but my instruction booklet had Big Bold Black Letters stating that I should never put foil on the oven floor while baking.

Re: Pielast night it was peach melba. very good(might be breakfast...) the ones i seem to think oh, that would be good are the fruit pies. which leaves me wondering, if it is the nature of the beast to boil over... how in the world do restraunts and pro-bakeries pull it off. i got a little irritated last night. not that PC means the recipe will come out perfect, but all the ones i try usually do. i guess i had high hopes between a deep dish pie plate and the PC recipe made FOR that pie plate... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: now i realize that was stupid. need to read up on my oven, i know it is self-cleaning, but it's element is unexposed, meaning it is in the floor of the oven, i worry about putting foil or an oven liner striaght on to the floor. oh well. sad part of the recipe, it didn't ask you to add sugar, it called for corn startch. way more that what i thought was necessary. maybe i will play with the sugar contents and see if less will help.

Re: PieI seem to remember from culinary school not having a problem with spill over and there was a point that we were making pies until we couldn't see straight.

Are you putting enough venting slits on your crust? When steam accumulates inside the crust, boil over occurs. Look at the amount of filling. Don't overfill.

Besides that, line the bottom of your oven with foil or bake on one of our baking sheets.

Re: PieEvery Thanksgiving I remember why I didn't toss my old sheet pans. This is the only thing I use them for. That, and freezing stuff I want to separate.I'd line the sheet pan with parchment or tin foil if you hope to use it for anything else.I prefer home baked pies to frozen ones but the cost is crazy ... For what it costs me to buy 3 lbs of apples and a pie crust I could easily buy one to take home and bake.

Re: PieEvery single pie I've ever made has always overflowed a bit! Sometimes a LOT, sometimes a little and I own and operated a professional bakery!!! Don't beat yourself up. I also use self cleaning ovens. Place a CHEAP sheet pan at the base under the pie. I will scrap up too much excess if it causes smoking but otherwise it works perfectly and doesn't damange my oven. Make sure you take the sheets out before you CLEAN cycle them!!

Related to Help! My Homemade Pie Keeps Boiling Over!

What could be causing my homemade pie to boil over?

There are a few potential reasons for your pie boiling over. One possibility is that you have overfilled the pie crust with too much filling. Another reason could be that the oven temperature is too high, causing the filling to bubble and spill over. Additionally, if the pie crust is not properly sealed or vented, steam can build up and cause the filling to overflow.

How can I prevent my homemade pie from boiling over?

To prevent your pie from boiling over, make sure to not overfill the pie crust with filling. Leave some room at the top for the filling to expand while baking. You can also place a baking sheet or foil underneath the pie to catch any spills. Properly sealing and venting the pie crust can also help prevent boiling over.

What should I do if my pie is already boiling over in the oven?

If you notice your pie boiling over in the oven, carefully remove it from the oven and place it on a heat-safe surface. Use a knife or spatula to gently push the filling back into the pie crust. You can also cover the pie with foil to prevent further spills and continue baking.

Can I still salvage my pie if it has boiled over?

Yes, you can still save your pie if it has boiled over. Use a knife or spatula to gently push the filling back into the pie crust. You can also cover the pie with foil to prevent further spills and continue baking. However, keep in mind that the texture and appearance of the pie may be slightly affected.

Are there any specific pies that are more prone to boiling over?

Some pie fillings, such as fruit fillings, are more likely to boil over due to their high moisture content. Custard or cream-based pies may also be more prone to boiling over because they can create steam while baking. It's important to properly seal and vent the pie crust for these types of fillings, and to not overfill the pie crust with too much filling.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • pamperedlinda
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefLoriG
Replies
Views
leftymac