• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help- I'm Following Asleep-Anyone Here?

In summary, the speaker's 13-year-old son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and they have been having difficulties managing his sugars for the past week. The speaker, who is a teacher, has taken on the night shift to test her son every 3 hours, including through the night. She is feeling exhausted but trying to avoid hospitalization. They also discuss the rainforest and the speaker shares a fun fact about sloths.
lockhartkitchen
My 13 yr. old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in November. We've had troubles with his sugars for the past week. Since yesterday, we've had to test my son every 3 hours, including through the night. Since I teach, and I have the day off Saturday, I'm the night shift tonight. I have to test him at midnight and 2 AM. I am Soooooo tired right now. uggh only 9:30 PM. I'm here for awhile then I'm watching a movie. It's like having a baby, yet with a baby I would wake up, not have to stay up. Too much hastle bringing out the alarm clock, I have to just stay awake. We're trying to avoid hospitalizing him, so wish us luck this weekend.

I've worked on preparing a unit on the rainforest for next year, but after an hour I needed a break.

Wow, Julie- prayers going out to you! Do you have a cell phone? You could set your alarm on that to go off so you could at least nap...

Break out the caffeine! HUGS!

I know this sounds crazy, but the best way I have found to stay up when I need to be up that late is to clean. I hate cleaning. I am the world's worst housekeeper. But if I get going cleaning the kitchen or the living room, places that won't cause the rest of the house any disturbance, I can stay up and moving for at least a few hours. Especially since I have trouble getting motivated to clean, so those areas need lots of attention whenever possible! Good luck with the night shift tonight...it's 1 a.m. EST here and DH has to work tomorrow (leaving me alone with two toddlers all day), so if I didn't have to get to bed myself I'd definitely hang out and keep you chatting. :)

Julie good luck. I have had nights where I have had to stay awake for some tests and it was hard. the worst thing you can do is put a movie in.
Good luck with his sugars my BIL has diabetes and for awhile there his sugars were so uo and down it was scary.

Thanks everyone. You're right about the movie. Not probably the best choice after not much sleep last night and teaching all day. As much as I hate to do it, Katie is on the right track. I'm sitting looking at a sink of dishes. I'm on the other side of the house, so I probably should do that. I'll stay here for awhile and catch up. My husband let my son go to the neighbor's house until 11:00, so he's not here to "breathe over me" while I'm on the computer. I don't have a cellphone, but my son does (for emergencies). I'm always with my husband, when I'm not at work, so haven't gotten one yet. I need one before NC though, so I don't pay high phone prices.

Okay- here's a new fact for you: (I'm researching the rainforest for a 6 week science unit) Did you know that the sloth only comes down to the rainforest floor once a week to defecate? When he does, the fleas on his coat hop off, lay eggs in the feces, then the sloth covers the feces with leaves (like a cat and litter), and it protects the fleas. Interdependence- Ickkkk..

lockhartkitchen said:
Thanks everyone. You're right about the movie. Not probably the best choice after not much sleep last night and teaching all day. As much as I hate to do it, Katie is on the right track. I'm sitting looking at a sink of dishes. I'm on the other side of the house, so I probably should do that. I'll stay here for awhile and catch up. My husband let my son go to the neighbor's house until 11:00, so he's not here to "breathe over me" while I'm on the computer. I don't have a cellphone, but my son does (for emergencies). I'm always with my husband, when I'm not at work, so haven't gotten one yet. I need one before NC though, so I don't pay high phone prices.

Okay- here's a new fact for you: (I'm researching the rainforest for a 6 week science unit) Did you know that the sloth only comes down to the rainforest floor once a week to defecate? When he does, the fleas on his coat hop off, lay eggs in the feces, then the sloth covers the feces with leaves (like a cat and litter), and it protects the fleas. Interdependence- Ickkkk..

Um- that is just plain WRONG! YUCK!!!!

ANd the mental picture of the "Head-Flea" telling everyone 'alright you mangey insects, let's hop off and go roll in some warm pooh- on the count of three we jump..."

Insane!

I'm laughing!!!! The kids thought this was a cool fact. I made them use the correct terminology too. And yes, they all can remember interdependence.

lockhartkitchen said:
I'm laughing!!!! The kids thought this was a cool fact. I made them use the correct terminology too. And yes, they all can remember interdependence.

I still think it's wrong on EVERY level- too funny

My husband was watching a "scary movie" my four year old says, so she's going to help me empty and fill the dishwasher. I'll be back, as Arnold says.

I'm going to go ahead and watch the "poseidon" (sp). I cleaned my kitchen!

Wow, that is tough. I just finished working on cleaning my garage - didn't finish, but figured since it's 2 a.m. I better get ready for bed. Figured I'd come here to catch up and to calm down for a little while. I agree cleaning helps keep you awake. I could go all night, but then I'd sleep all day tomorrow!

Good luck!

The movie was awesome. My son's making blueberry mini muffins right now, and I'm going to put June recipes on my website tonight. I'm waiting for 2 AM so I can do his last test.

My trick to stay awake is to be as productive as possible. The moment I take a break, I'll drool all over my keyboard. I have fallen asleep in the tub. Heh.

Coffee works in a pinch, too.

Until you drink so much you crash.

Hope your kiddo gets better and you get some well deserved rest and relief!

Thanks PamperedTre. His sugars are within normal range at the last test, but the doctor thinks it may be on its way up again. We have one more test at 2 AM then I can sleep until 11:00 at the latest and call in his numbers to the doctor. I got my recipes updated for next month for my June shows I've been in contact with. I'm staying productive.

Sending prayers your way!

My husband MADE me get up at 11 sounds late, but I'm dragging. He left town for the day to work, so I'm dealing with high sugars and bad language from my son, part of deal when sugars get high. I'm cleaning house today. It will be a long day again.

I'm sorry, Julie- prayers going out to you guys! Will some concentrated protein get his sugars down? I am insulin resistant and need to eat protein with every snack and meal. I eat a lot of raw almonds, and drink rice based protein drinks with NO sugar in them.... just a thought it works really well for me, so I wanted to share it with you. Admittedly I have no idea just how bad type II diabetis is, so don't hate me if I just suggested something that would make him worse. :)

Prayers for you to wake up! (Eat an apple- they can wake you up better than a cup of coffee!)

Thanks kitchen diva. His high sugars are unknown: from his body suddenly producing insulin to hormones ? so but we're working on adjusting his long dose insulin. It takes several days with constant adjusting. It got better this afternoon.

1. How can I stay awake while following a recipe?

To stay awake while following a recipe, try incorporating some physical activity into your cooking routine. Take a quick break to stretch, walk around, or do some jumping jacks. You can also try listening to upbeat music or enjoying a cup of caffeine-free tea.

2. What can I do if I'm feeling tired while cooking?

If you're feeling tired while cooking, try taking a short nap or power nap before starting your recipe. You can also try snacking on healthy, energy-boosting foods like nuts, fruits, or dark chocolate. And don't forget to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.

3. How can I prevent falling asleep while cooking?

To prevent falling asleep while cooking, make sure to get a good night's sleep before starting your recipe. You can also try setting a timer to remind you to take breaks throughout the cooking process. Additionally, make sure to have proper lighting in your kitchen to help you stay alert.

4. What are some tips for staying focused and awake while cooking?

To stay focused and awake while cooking, make sure to have all your ingredients and tools ready before starting the recipe. This will help you stay organized and avoid wasting time searching for things. You can also try breaking down the recipe into smaller, manageable steps and taking short breaks in between each step.

5. Are there any supplements or foods that can help with staying alert while cooking?

While there are no specific supplements or foods that can guarantee alertness, incorporating a balanced and healthy diet can help with overall energy levels. Foods rich in B vitamins, magnesium, and iron are known to help with energy production. You can also try incorporating ingredients like ginger, turmeric, or matcha into your recipes, as they are believed to have energizing properties.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ahammons
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedgirl3
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies