• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help for Managing Exzema in Children: Real Solutions from Parents

Intesive Skin Therapy lotion helps with the itch and it softens the skin. Renew contains deinoized water, glycerin USP, petrolatum USP, distearyldimonium chloride, isopropyl palmitate, cetyl alcohol, dimethicone, allantoin, T36-C5 brand Melaleuca Oil, methylparaben, propylparaben, and fragrance. She is able to use this product even with the fragrance in it. I think the key thing may be the melaleuca oil which is a tea
PCSarahjm
Does anyone or have a child with exzema?? My son has had it since he was about 6mths old...he is now almost 2 1/2. I am at my wits end with it. I need help. He had a severe break out this week...took him to the dr. he thinks it is time to have an allergy test. Ok that is great maybe we can really figure out what is triggering the break outs. So they refer me to a Allergy Dr. but guess what the appt isn't until July 16th...Hello that is over 6 weeks away! Last night he didn't sleep at all because he was up scratching and digging at the areas that are inflamed! I call the dr. office this morning to see if we can get in any earlier....she checked now we have appt. for June 17.
So now what do I do in between now and then?

He takes zrytec daily....oatmeal based soaps, we use eucerin and aquaphor lotion/moisturizers.....dreft laundry soap. Does anyone else have anything else that I can try or that works best for you or your child? I am willing to try anything!!

thanks for listening!

We just have minor exzema here. I just keep her well oiled!! Sorry to hear about your little boy. Hopeful the allergist will be able to help.

I have it on my elbows, a small patch on my inner left eye lid (yes that can be attactive!) and a few other patches.. Have tried a bunch of over the counter and prescription stuff and nothing really works.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I did see somewhere that Eucerin/Aveeno/Goldbond, one of those, was supposed to be coming out with a lotion and wash that was suppose to help. A lot of "supposed to" in there. So far, I haven't seen anything but I keep looking.

I have a friend who suffers from severe exzema. The skin on her feet and hands litterally peel off and it looks aweful...I know it is painful for her. She can't use detergent with dyes, chemicals or perfumes...and she can't use bath or body products that contain dyes, chemicals or perfumes either. But, she has found that Melaleuca's Renew Intesive Skin Therapy lotion helps with the itch and it softens the skin. Renew contains deinoized water, glycerin USP, petrolatum USP, distearyldimonium chloride, isopropyl palmitate, cetyl alcohol, dimethicone, allantoin, T36-C5 brand Melaleuca Oil, methylparaben, propylparaben, and fragrance. She is able to use this product even with the fragrance in it. I think the key thing may be the melaleuca oil which is a tea tree oil...the highest concentrate available. Melaleuca Oil is actually the key product in the Melaleuca company...most of their products contain the oil.

You will need to find a rep in your area. I am not sure if you can go to their website and set up an account without a rep...but to do that I think you have to join their company. But it shouldn't be hard to find a rep in your area.

You might be able to find a rep in the yellow pages or online. The main website is Melaleuca: The Wellness Company

I have heard all kinds of stories about Renew helping people with exzema. One of the best things about melaleuca products is that they are natural products that do not contain toxins. Hope you find some relief for him.

One of my nieces used to break out in it, caused by dairy. My sister switched her over to soy milk, and that took care of it. She can eat aged cheeses OK, but they have to limit her ice cream and soft cheese consumption.

My son is having a nasty breakout right now too. I thought it was b/c I changed fabric softeners. Hmm....thinking about eliminating dairy. Boy, he won't be happy. :(

My son had it when he was younger. We found out he is allergic to gluten & dairy. Try cutting back both of those & see if that helps.

Both of my DS were diagnosed with before 2. Benadryl will help with the itching, as will hydrocortizone...we also cut back to every other day baths, use Aveeno Eczema Wash & put Eucerin Cream (the thick goop in the tub) on after they bathed & patted dry. The good news is, they can outgrow it or have less severe outbreaks. HTH

Shawnna said:
I have a friend who suffers from severe exzema. The skin on her feet and hands litterally peel off and it looks aweful...I know it is painful for her. She can't use detergent with dyes, chemicals or perfumes...and she can't use bath or body products that contain dyes, chemicals or perfumes either. But, she has found that Melaleuca's Renew Intesive Skin Therapy lotion helps with the itch and it softens the skin. Renew contains deinoized water, glycerin USP, petrolatum USP, distearyldimonium chloride, isopropyl palmitate, cetyl alcohol, dimethicone, allantoin, T36-C5 brand Melaleuca Oil, methylparaben, propylparaben, and fragrance. She is able to use this product even with the fragrance in it. I think the key thing may be the melaleuca oil which is a tea tree oil...the highest concentrate available. Melaleuca Oil is actually the key product in the Melaleuca company...most of their products contain the oil.

You will need to find a rep in your area. I am not sure if you can go to their website and set up an account without a rep...but to do that I think you have to join their company. But it shouldn't be hard to find a rep in your area.
I was just going to say Tea Tree oil, also your local Arbonne rep MIGHT be able to help as well. Melaleuca oil is tea tree oil, so I hope you are able to find a rep! :) Prayers of relief going out to your son! Poor fella!

DH has exzema really bad. What helps is vaseline (he gets funny looks when he buys 4 big jars at a time! :D ). He will coat his legs, arms and hands at night when he's watching TV. He will do his hands and wear cotton gloves at bed to help them. He is on a steriod cream but it's expired so he needs to go back to get more. You have to be very careful with that stuff though. My baby brother had it so bad all over when he was a baby his skin looked like alligator skin! They would baste him up with baby oil a couple times a day and that seemed to help.

After bath time he gets slatherered with aquaphor. Which usually helps but for some reason it isn't working as well anymore. As a baby he was switch to soy formula then to soy milk at about 1 1/2 he just would not drink it anymore so I gradually switched to 2 % milk. He had no type of reaction when he switched to regular milk. But this last break has been terrible. And I know that he isn't sleeping very well.

Thanks for all of the ideas. And if there are any others that come to mind please let me know!

Yes, In most cases they do grow out of it. My son had it from 6 months until about 7 years old. We found that using Dove soap(really a moisturizing bar)helped out his skin tremendously. We also used it as a shampoo since he was sensitive to hair shampoo. Give it a try, using the unscented bars.

RossDeb2 said:
Yes, In most cases they do grow out of it. My son had it from 6 months until about 7 years old. We found that using Dove soap(really a moisturizing bar)helped out his skin tremendously. We also used it as a shampoo since he was sensitive to hair shampoo. Give it a try, using the unscented bars.

I have not tried the dove bar....it is worth a try. It is weird how one day they are fine and the next we have a break out!

you can find tea tree oil in your local health food store too. I always ask them (at the store) for advice on what to use for certain issues and so far so good!

I have tried the arbonne baby wash but my son said it burned so stopped using that. I will see if I can find some tea tree oil. I am game for anything at this point.

PCSarahjm said:
I have tried the arbonne baby wash but my son said it burned so stopped using that. I will see if I can find some tea tree oil. I am game for anything at this point.
Tea Tree Oil, and Tea Tree Oil soaps and lotions, would be available at any local health food store.eta: whoops! should have read Reba's post first!

I have eczema VERY badly on my hands that comes and goes. I sometimes break out so bad (I think mostly in winter) that my skin cracks so I end up with these little cuts all over the tips of my fingers. Have to sleep with bandaids and neosporin because they hurt so bad. The itching can get really bad at times. Funny thing is I never had eczema until after I started Pampered Chef. Blamed it on working with my hands a bunch and washing my hands more often. I have terrible allergies and my allergist and dr. has prescribed ointments that seem to work ok. Mainly to stop the itch/infection. Of course you can't get them over the counter as the hydrocortisone creams really don't do much good. They are too thin. The ointments I use are white and pretty thick and I cake it on and then sleep with socks on my hands. I think one of them is called Alocon but in a generic form

One of my old boyfriends had eczema really badly. He was allergic to wheat gluten and had celiac disease. He was constantly itching.

Kids are fussy, but you always have the option to limit anything with wheat and milk products until you get to the appointment. It may subside the reaction until you know for sure what is wrong.

My DH has some that comes & goes. He uses the over the counter Cortisone(sp?) spray & I used to get him a Tar shampoo (sebutone) but they took it off the market. Probably cause it worked. I recently found another brand & he says it ok. If you want I'll go downstairs & get the name. He also rubs some on his chest,mustache & eyebrows....HTH

Thanks Ginger.....and to everyone. I will let you know how things turn out.

PCSarahjm said:
Thanks Ginger.....and to everyone. I will let you know how things turn out.

Its called T-Gel by Neutrogena, There is also a Generic & get the extra strength!

My son has severe eczema as well. His is a bit different in that he ends up with open sores rather than just dry skin. We were referred to a pediatric dermatologist who was awesome. She ordered an allergy blood test (we have actually never been to an allergist) and at 6 months old we found out he was allergic to egg whites and peanuts. Didn't help us much though since at 6 months he had never had either.

He has been on differing strengths of triamcinalone, a topical steroid. They also gave him hydroxizine to help with the itching. She recommended Cetaphil for washing with and short baths. We stay away from anything that has soap or perfume in it. For washing we use All Free and Clear and for the dryer I use Bounce dryer sheets that are perfume and dye free.

Dreft actually has perfume in it, so I would cut that out and go to the free and clear type. Make sure to check everything for the perfumes. Some things that you wouldn't think have it will, you are just used to the smell. Like Pampers Diapers, they have perfumes, but Huggies don't. Weird.

Good Luck. I know how hard it is when your child is suffering that seems like it should be so simple to treat. Call your doctor back and talk to them about a dermatologist instead of a allergist.

My dd has had eczema since she was a couple of weeks old. She also happened to later develop a dairy allergy.

B/c of her skin issues we use scent-free laundry detergents. She bathes only in water -- no soap. We used to use Oilatum on occasion in her bath.

For creams -- eucerin glycerin, fucidin (if she develops a secondary fungal infection), elocom with hydrocortisone. The hydrocortisone is what helps the best.

Her hands look like the hands of an 80 yr-old. WE need to be super careful about drying her hands really well after each washing, plus rinsing really well as hand soaps are a really bad trigger.

sfdavis918 said:
My son has severe eczema as well. His is a bit different in that he ends up with open sores rather than just dry skin. We were referred to a pediatric dermatologist who was awesome. She ordered an allergy blood test (we have actually never been to an allergist) and at 6 months old we found out he was allergic to egg whites and peanuts. Didn't help us much though since at 6 months he had never had either.

He has been on differing strengths of triamcinalone, a topical steroid. They also gave him hydroxizine to help with the itching. She recommended Cetaphil for washing with and short baths. We stay away from anything that has soap or perfume in it. For washing we use All Free and Clear and for the dryer I use Bounce dryer sheets that are perfume and dye free.

Dreft actually has perfume in it, so I would cut that out and go to the free and clear type. Make sure to check everything for the perfumes. Some things that you wouldn't think have it will, you are just used to the smell. Like Pampers Diapers, they have perfumes, but Huggies don't. Weird.

Good Luck. I know how hard it is when your child is suffering that seems like it should be so simple to treat. Call your doctor back and talk to them about a dermatologist instead of a allergist.

Thanks for mentioning diapers....I used huggies all the time until the last few months and bought some Luvs.....And have noticed that he is breaking out more around the diaper areas. So this is a start switching back to huggies....hopefully we will need no diapers very soon working on potty training!!!
The other thing is there is a new lady at daycare...she has very strong perfume....do you think this could be part of the problem?
I will call the dr. tomorrow and talk with them about seeing a dermatologist.
Thanks for all of the advice. It is just so frustrating when he is so miserable....and when he is miserable like that I feel so helpless.

PCSarahjm said:
Thanks for mentioning diapers....I used huggies all the time until the last few months and bought some Luvs.....And have noticed that he is breaking out more around the diaper areas. So this is a start switching back to huggies....hopefully we will need no diapers very soon working on potty training!!!
The other thing is there is a new lady at daycare...she has very strong perfume....do you think this could be part of the problem?I will call the dr. tomorrow and talk with them about seeing a dermatologist.
Thanks for all of the advice. It is just so frustrating when he is so miserable....and when he is miserable like that I feel so helpless.
It definitely could be. My DS will have a reaction almost immediately when he is around strong perfume. He starts to itch right away.

OH, and another big thing, we run a humidifier in his room whenever he is sleeping. Just helps to keep him from drying out. It's harder to do in the summer because the one we have is a warm mist one and it really does make the room warmer. We haven't tried a cool mist one yet, but I'm sure it would work just as well.

My daughter Lucy has had it now for about 3 years - she is 8 now.

She is such a beautiful girl except when you look at her arms, it looks as if she has poison. We would get it all cleared up and then back again - sometimes even worst than the time before.

The dermatologist told us to use FREE everything, no laundry sheets, no purfumes, air fresheners, etc. NEVER did they say about anything else

Lucy LOVES chocolate milk so she drinks that a lot. I am switching her tonight to 8th Continent soy milk - cholocate and vanilla - (I drank this right after my hysterectomy, I didn't want to talk pills and I didn't like the hot flashes so a cousin of mind told me about 8th continent - I drank the soy milk for about 1 year and the hot flashes were GONE.

So off to the market (well after I update another thread that I posted)

Thanks

:chef:

By the way DH uses J&J Baby Shampoo for his hair and body since it's about the only thing that doesn't contain alcohol to dry his skin out.

I don't know how helpful this might be, but I have exczema on my hands, and have had it since probably the 5th grade. It's gotten better as I got older

I get really bad breakouts when I come in contact with acidy foods - not ingesting, but handling. I can't cut potatoes, tomatoes, and a lot of other vegetables. I get itchy and breakout.

Again, I don't know how helpful this might be, but any port in a storm, eh?

PamperChefCarol said:
I have it on my elbows, a small patch on my inner left eye lid (yes that can be attactive!) and a few other patches.. Have tried a bunch of over the counter and prescription stuff and nothing really works.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I did see somewhere that Eucerin/Aveeno/Goldbond, one of those, was supposed to be coming out with a lotion and wash that was suppose to help. A lot of "supposed to" in there. So far, I haven't seen anything but I keep looking.

I get it on both of my eyelids!! I agree it can be very attractive.

My sister has really bad exzema that nothing has ever worked on. My other sister started working in a body store that sells pure Emu Oil that is supposed to help exzema. It's a little pricey, but she decided to try it. It has been amazing and it truly has worked. I use it on my hands (they are sooo dry) and it has made a world of difference. Just another idea :)

This will be long! I KNOW your pain!
PCSarahjm said:
Does anyone or have a child with exzema?? My son has had it since he was about 6mths old...he is now almost 2 1/2. I am at my wits end with it. I need help. He had a severe break out this week...took him to the dr. he thinks it is time to have an allergy test. Ok that is great maybe we can really figure out what is triggering the break outs. So they refer me to a Allergy Dr. but guess what the appt isn't until July 16th...Hello that is over 6 weeks away! Last night he didn't sleep at all because he was up scratching and digging at the areas that are inflamed! I call the dr. office this morning to see if we can get in any earlier....she checked now we have appt. for June 17.
So now what do I do in between now and then?

He takes zrytec daily....oatmeal based soaps, we use eucerin and aquaphor lotion/moisturizers.....dreft laundry soap. Does anyone else have anything else that I can try or that works best for you or your child? I am willing to try anything!!

thanks for listening!
Sarah,
I don't know how I missed this thread?! Your life with your son sounds like a page out of my history books! And it still is an on-going struggle! My DD has suffered from eczema from infancy. I didn't get referred to an allergist until she was almost 2 1/2 also.
I have read through this whole thread and have not seen this mentioned.... do you have pets, especially inside pets? Yep, pets! When I took my daughter in, she was tested and found out that she was allergic to cats, and we had an indoor cat, well, needless to say he became an outdoor cat (he was originally, but he adopted us and eventually we moved him in!) My DH and I felt so guilty!! My DH spent his entire weekend on his hands and knees with a carpet cleaner, just digging into our carpet to pull as much dander out at he could.
Okay, but it doesn't end there, two years later, we find out she's allergic to dogs too, didn't have a dog, but it explained why she itched more when her grandparents were near!
Then about 6 months later, she and I are at McDonalds and I'm letting her play with a friends's son in the play area, and she comes up to me out of breath and can't get enough air..... I take her home and give her a breathing treatment (have a machine from when she was an infant) and I call and make an appointment (her allergy clinic is also an asthma clinic). We go in and find out that she has exercise induced asthma.
Now fast forward 2 more years (last year) and I found out she has now developed allergies to grass, mold, and trees!!!!!!!!:eek: I find out that she is highly allergic to cats and only mild to moderate on the rest of her allergies. We also do a breathing test and she only was getting about 1/2 the air she needs!!! They put her another medicine and she takes that everyday now too, and it has helped a lot!!

I'm about to take her in again, it's time and she's struggling again, and I pray she hasn't developed any more allergies!
So, I tell you all this because I truely understand! I have been in tears with my DD!!!!! :cry: ..... I get so frustrated that I can't take care of it and she looks at me like "just make it go away, Mom!"
Okay, so here is what I've learned over the years.........
Don't ever use ordinary soaps or lotions! We have used Dove Sensitive skin, and my whole family has switched to it because it just works well with all of us!
Another brand of products that I find works well is Vanicream. My allergist reccommended this stuff.... we buy the lotion and sometimes the sunscreen. Aveeno and ones meant for babies work well, because they don't heavily scent those either. I have tried Melaluca and it was okay, but not worth it to me, I use any laundry detergent that says "free" on it.... free of dyes, scents and the what-not!
I could own stock in petrolium jelly industry!! Vasoline or any generic works wonders with my DD. It has no alcohol, and that is what works here. Jessica(my DD) would just scream when we'd put on lotion sometimes. The other thing we got taught was to not let stay in the water for a real long time and to let her play, and then wash her and get her out. The soaking in the bath after washing her was a no no! Because it irritated her skin. My doctor told me I had about a 4-5 minute window of time in which I had to get her lathered in either lotion or Vasoline (most of the time it's vasoline). She told me that the water could be Jessica's friend and/or worst enemy! She said that the lotion and vasoline locked in the moisture from the bath but without it she would just go crazy with itch and swelling and everything!
Keep your son's nails short, it will prevent secondary infections in the areas in which they itch.
I do not reccommend the hydrocortizone too much, sometimes it's necessary but they are steroids and prolonged use makes the skin too thin! We use Protopic which is non-steroidal, petroleum based product (a product that doesn't make her howl in pain) and when she's not real bad we can use Elidel too, which is lotion based and contains alcohol. The alcohol is the enemy in creams. That's why vasoline works, no alcohol. My doctor lets me keep some liquid steroid on hand and I go though a very small bottle about every 3 months. I only give her 2-3 MG or is that ML?... I don't know which it is but it's less than 1/2 a tsp. twice a day, and I only do it when she is so broke out, and when she has hives.... which now we are dealing with that along with the eczema. Oatmeal baths work but don't leave him in there for too long because it can make him more itchy!
My DD takes Zyrtec around the clock, ask your Doctor when you see him/her to write you a prescription because you might need more than what that small bottle they sell over the counter now, and then you won't be paying way too much for it! Also the generic medicine for Zyrtec works just as well and costs 1/2 the price!
Let's see...... watch pools and lakes, rinse them off and lock in the moisture right away.... my DD use to ruin all our trips to the lake for me!!! She would cry and cry and go crazy and I was an emotional wreck trying to help her.... I finally have figured out that the lake water and chlorine make her crazy itchy and inflamed!
Jessica also take singulair, which helps allergies and asthma.... She has an inhaler but doesn't need it as much anymore. I carry her protopic and a small container of vasoline everywhere we go! and her Zyrtec and her inhaler, I also carry a second set of clothes around in case, if someone with a cat is near her or she is near too much grass and tree polen or if it's been raining a lot and she plays near somewhere that attract mold. Then I change her clothes. I also immediately put her in a bath when we get home so that it doesn't rub off all over the house and especially not in her bed!
Jessica's inner arms where they fold are her worse place and the back of her knees where they fold. She has trouble up her legs too but not near as bad as when she wore diapers. She gets it on her wrists, on the insides on her legs by the knee and her ankles. Lately I've noticed it's trying to happen around her nose and a patch on her neck by her adams apple.
Her and I are deligently trying to prevent that!

She uses everything with no fragrances, dyes and scents. She hates it! She wants to smell good like me and her girl cousins! She has to be careful with earrings and can only wear good quality solid gold ones. She can't handle costume jewelry at all!
You will have to stay deligent (sp?) with him, especially with the vasoline or lotions. Eczema is a immune problem and there is no cure. Only cure is Jesus! And we pray all the time! We are believing in Him for her healing! I just have to stay stong in my faith, because sometimes I have to have the faith for the both of us, especially when she's in bad shape and crying!
Hopefully both my DD and your DS will outgrow it! My DD will be 8 next week and she has been the most exhausting child for me but I'm close to her because she knows I'm the one who understands and sits up with her at night when she can't stop itching. My heart aches for her and it's so hard sometimes to make her understand that she has done nothing wrong. She hates it and cries about it when she's in middle of an outbreak! In fact right now we are struggling with it! She has a bruise in her inner arm from scratching so much!
One last thing, whenever possible dress him in clothes that doesn't expose to much skin, it prevents itching.... lightweight long sleeve shirts and the like!
If I think of anything else I will let you know!
Good luck, hun! And if you need to pm me, go for it. I DO FEEL YOUR PAIN!! I live it daily! I will help you in anyway I can, even if it's just a shoulder to cry on because you're exhausted from a rough night or at your witts end!;)

Last edited:
MissChef said:
Sarah,
I don't know how I missed this thread?! Your life with your son sounds like a page out of my history books! And it still is an on-going struggle! My DD has suffered from eczema from infancy. I didn't get referred to an allergist until she was almost 2 1/2 also.
I have read through this whole thread and have not seen this mentioned.... do you have pets, especially inside pets? Yep, pets! When I took my daughter in, she was tested and found out that she was allergic to cats, and we had an indoor cat, well, needless to say he became an outdoor cat (he was originally, but he adopted us and eventually we moved him in!) My DH and I felt so guilty!! My DH spent his entire weekend on his hands and knees with a carpet cleaner, just digging into our carpet to pull as much dander out at he could.
Okay, but it doesn't end there, two years later, we find out she's allergic to dogs too, didn't have a dog, but it explained why she itched more when her grandparents were near!
Then about 6 months later, she and I are at McDonalds and I'm letting her play with a friends's son in the play area, and she comes up to me out of breath and can't get enough air..... I take her home and give her a breathing treatment (have a machine from when she was an infant) and I call and make an appointment (her allergy clinic is also an asthma clinic). We go in and find out that she has exercise induced asthma.
Now fast forward 2 more years (last year) and I found out she has now developed allergies to grass, mold, and trees!!!!!!!!:eek: I find out that she is highly allergic to cats and only mild to moderate on the rest of her allergies. We also do a breathing test and she only was getting about 1/2 the air she needs!!! They put her another medicine and she takes that everyday now too, and it has helped a lot!!

I'm about to take her in again, it's time and she's struggling again, and I pray she hasn't developed any more allergies!
So, I tell you all this because I truely understand! I have been in tears with my DD!!!!! :cry: ..... I get so frustrated that I can't take care of it and she looks at me like "just make it go away, Mom!"
Okay, so here is what I've learned over the years.........
Don't ever use ordinary soaps or lotions! We have used Dove Sensitive skin, and my whole family has switched to it because it just works well with all of us!
Another brand of products that I find works well is Vanicream. My allergist reccommended this stuff.... we buy the lotion and sometimes the sunscreen. Aveeno and ones meant for babies work well, because they don't heavily scent those either. I have tried Melaluca and it was okay, but not worth it to me, I use any laundry detergent that says "free" on it.... free of dyes, scents and the what-not!
I could own stock in petrolium jelly industry!! Vasoline or any generic works wonders with my DD. It has no alcohol, and that is what works here. Jessica(my DD) would just scream when we'd put on lotion sometimes. The other thing we got taught was to not let stay in the water for a real long time and to let her play, and then wash her and get her out. The soaking in the bath after washing her was a no no! Because it irritated her skin. My doctor told me I had about a 4-5 minute window of time in which I had to get her lathered in either lotion or Vasoline (most of the time it's vasoline). She told me that the water could be Jessica's friend and/or worst enemy! She said that the lotion and vasoline locked in the moisture from the bath but without it she would just go crazy with itch and swelling and everything!
Keep your son's nails short, it will prevent secondary infections in the areas in which they itch.
I do not reccommend the hydrocortizone too much, sometimes it's necessary but they are steroids and prolonged use makes the skin too thin! We use Protopic which is non-steroidal, petroleum based product (a product that doesn't make her howl in pain) and when she's not real bad we can use Elidel too, which is lotion based and contains alcohol. The alcohol is the enemy in creams. That's why vasoline works, no alcohol. My doctor lets me keep some liquid steroid on hand and I go though a very small bottle about every 3 months. I only give her 2-3 MG or is that ML?... I don't know which it is but it's less than 1/2 a tsp. twice a day, and I only do it when she is so broke out, and when she has hives.... which now we are dealing with that along with the eczema. Oatmeal baths work but don't leave him in there for too long because it can make him more itchy!
My DD takes Zyrtec around the clock, ask your Doctor when you see him/her to write you a prescription because you might need more than what that small bottle they sell over the counter now, and then you won't be paying way too much for it! Also the generic medicine for Zyrtec works just as well and costs 1/2 the price!
Let's see...... watch pools and lakes, rinse them off and lock in the moisture right away.... my DD use to ruin all our trips to the lake for me!!! She would cry and cry and go crazy and I was an emotional wreck trying to help her.... I finally have figured out that the lake water and chlorine make her crazy itchy and inflamed!
Jessica also take singulair, which helps allergies and asthma.... She has an inhaler but doesn't need it as much anymore. I carry her protopic and a small container of vasoline everywhere we go! and her Zyrtec and her inhaler, I also carry a second set of clothes around in case, if someone with a cat is near her or she is near too much grass and tree polen or if it's been raining a lot and she plays near somewhere that attract mold. Then I change her clothes. I also immediately put her in a bath when we get home so that it doesn't rub off all over the house and especially not in her bed!
Jessica's inner arms where they fold are her worse place and the back of her knees where they fold. She has trouble up her legs too but not near as bad as when she wore diapers. She gets it on her wrists, on the insides on her legs by the knee and her ankles. Lately I've noticed it's trying to happen around her nose and a patch on her neck by her adams apple.
Her and I are deligently trying to prevent that!

She uses everything with no fragrances, dyes and scents. She hates it! She wants to smell good like me and her girl cousins! She has to be careful with earrings and can only wear good quality solid gold ones. She can't handle costume jewelry at all!
You will have to stay deligent (sp?) with him, especially with the vasoline or lotions. Eczema is a immune problem and there is no cure. Only cure is Jesus! And we pray all the time! We are believing in Him for her healing! I just have to stay stong in my faith, because sometimes I have to have the faith for the both of us, especially when she's in bad shape and crying!
Hopefully both my DD and your DS will outgrow it! My DD will be 8 next week and she has been the most exhausting child for me but I'm close to her because she knows I'm the one who understands and sits up with her at night when she can't stop itching. My heart aches for her and it's so hard sometimes to make her understand that she has done nothing wrong. She hates it and cries about it when she's in middle of an outbreak! In fact right now we are struggling with it! She has a bruise in her inner arm from scratching so much!
One last thing, whenever possible dress him in clothes that doesn't expose to much skin, it prevents itching.... lightweight long sleeve shirts and the like!
If I think of anything else I will let you know!
Good luck, hun! And if you need to pm me, go for it. I DO FEEL YOUR PAIN!! I live it daily! I will help you in anyway I can, even if it's just a shoulder to cry on because you're exhausted from a rough night or at your witts end!;)

Thanks Cathy....I just sent you a message!

Keep me posted about you DD!

My daughter (3.5) is like Sarah's (um, pcdavis, not PCSarahjm!) - her exzema flare ups move very quickly to open sores. It's terrible, and terrifying, frankly.We were given a steroid cream last year and an antibiotic cream because it had opened up. On very dry winter days we run a humidifier. We also have to limit full baths to only once or twice a week, which is another reason summer is so bad - I HAVE to bathe her more than that!! I try to get away with "bird baths" during the week in the winter (basically a sponge bath - that's just what my mom called them :) ). WE use lotion like it's going out of style, and have to rotate through about 6 - each works great for about a week, and then she seems to worsen and if we continue that lotion she gets worse. We use liquid detergent, and the dye and scent free type; no dryer sheets.Liquid body wash as opposed to bar; we basically use baby bath wash.She does better in cool, moderate environments - humidity is actually worse than dry weather for her, and my husband is very anti-AC so it's a big problem in the car and house and outside in the hot, muggy summers of VA!Even though the heat isn't good for her, I try to have her wear long, loose, thin pants when she has flareups, to try to ease the scratching that exacerbates the situation. And I clip those fingernails ubershort!After reading through this list, I'm going to ask for a referral for a pediatric dermatologist and a full allergy screen!

1. What are some common triggers for eczema in children?

Some common triggers for eczema in children include allergens, irritants, dry skin, heat and sweat, stress, and certain fabrics or materials.

2. How can I manage my child's eczema?

Managing eczema in children involves identifying and avoiding triggers, keeping the skin moisturized, using gentle skin products, and possibly using medication or treatments prescribed by a doctor.

3. What can I do while waiting for my child's allergy test appointment?

In the meantime, you can continue to follow your child's current treatment plan and try to avoid known triggers. You can also keep a diary of your child's symptoms and any potential triggers to share with the allergist during the appointment.

4. Are there any alternative remedies or products that may help with eczema?

Some parents have found success with using natural remedies like coconut oil, tea tree oil, or witch hazel. However, it's important to consult with a doctor before trying any new treatments.

5. Is there anything I should avoid when managing my child's eczema?

Avoiding harsh chemicals, fragrances, and irritants in skincare products, clothing, and laundry detergent can help prevent flare-ups. You may also want to limit your child's exposure to extreme temperatures and keep their skin moisturized at all times.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • Jessamary
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
candiejayne
  • ShelbyMichalek