• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you tried using baking sheets instead of stoneware for your recipes?

In summary, the host is considering using a medium baking sheet instead of a large baking sheet for her Club House Chicken Squares show tonight because it would be lighter to carry and show new products. The host anticipates less than 10 people so she is thinking the serving size from the medium baking sheet would be plenty.
Karen
Gold Member
I'm just wondering if anybody has used their baking sheets for something that they normally would use their stoneware bar pan. I have a show tonight that is upstairs and I always take too many products anyhow. I'm doing the Club House Chicken Squares, which I usually do in the bar pan. I'm considering using the medium baking sheet instead of the large bar pan. (It would be lighter to carry and show new products) The host anticipates less than 10 people so I'm thinking the serving size from the medium baking sheet would be plenty. :rolleyes:

Anybody try anything like this or have any ideas? How about baking time comparisons?

Thanks!:)

Use the large sheet pan - it's the same size as the large bar pan. The Medium sheet pan is 9x13.I must confess that the only thing I've used my sheet pan for is as a surface to set my slow-cooker on.

I use mine for cookies now and love it

chefann said:
Use the large sheet pan - it's the same size as the large bar pan. The Medium sheet pan is 9x13.

I must confess that the only thing I've used my sheet pan for is as a surface to set my slow-cooker on.

I used mine to catch some drips from a casserole I had in my Oval Baker!:D Worked great for that.

I have been trying to use my sheet pans and see how I like them compared to my stones. I love my stones so much more and I have noticed that my medium sheet pan and scratched up terribley on the bottom. I am assuming from pulling/scooting it off of my stove rack. I don't even want to take it to a show because it looks terrible! So, I guess that I will be sticking to taking my stones to shows.

Mine is just scratched from taking it to and from my shows. I know that they will scratch but I haven't even baked anything on mine yet.

Hubby uses it for roasting fingerling potatoes...

I have them both but have not used them. I took the medium to a show for people to see.

I trained myself so much to use stoneware, not I do not want to use the metal pans!:eek: I feel like I am betraying my stoneware!:eek:

I have broiled garlic bread on it and I made cookies on it the other day. I think it works fine, but I do prefer the stones. I like that you can broil on it where as you can't on the stones, so I'm really going to talk that one point up. I am going to roast some butternut squash on it today for my baby and see how that works.

jrstephens said:
I have them both but have not used them. I took the medium to a show for people to see.

I trained myself so much to use stoneware, not I do not want to use the metal pans!:eek: I feel like I am betraying my stoneware!:eek:
I'm the same way. So many of the things I make are so great on the stoneware because it cleans up so nicely. I don't want to have to worry about food sticking again like it did on my old metal pans.

I have used mine for roasting veggies, making cookies, garlic bread. I will always love my stoneware but sometimes I like to use the other.

chefshawna said:
I have broiled garlic bread on it and I made cookies on it the other day. I think it works fine, but I do prefer the stones. I like that you can broil on it where as you can't on the stones, so I'm really going to talk that one point up. I am going to roast some butternut squash on it today for my baby and see how that works.
This is what I have done too.
When I did my cookies, I baked one batch on my rectangle stone and one on my sheet pan. The cookies on the sheet pan were just okay. They did not burn but they did not keep their shape, they flattened out and they did not stay as moist as the batch on my stone. My kids were fighting over which one got the "better cookies!" The stone won again!
I will use them for some things but I will always be a stone lover.
I do like the broil feature of the sheet pans and being able to throw then in the dishwasher is nice!;)

dannyzmom said:
Hubby uses it for roasting fingerling potatoes...
:confused: :confused: what is that?:confused: I have no clue what this is!

I love fingerling potatoes!!! Cathy there thinner longer potatoes about the size of your "finger" but fatter.

I used my medium sheet pan for baking chicken breasts (coated in french-fried onions) and for making croutons. Both came out great and cleaned up easily.

I've been a stone junkie for years now, so finding things to fix on my sheet pans has been a little daunting. :) BUT I have baked pork chops (with Shake 'n Bake), biscuits & chicken fingers & they've all turned out great & the pan has been easy to clean...I use a nylon scraper & hot water first then soap & a sponge for the oily residue. I like them both but still prefer my stones for some things. ;)

I used mine to make a batch of the Warm Nutty Carmel Brownies on for my family and it worked wonderfully!! I wanted to try it and also my Large Bar Pan was waiting to be cleaned.

Caroline

Why throw out the baby with the bathwater???I am hearing a lot of baggin' on the sheet pans, but I honestly cheered when I heard they where coming out because I use the broiler so much at my house and do so much with freezer meals that I can't live without a sheet pan. In my bakery, we only ever used sheet pans for cookies because it is best for a chewy cookie and that is what clients prefer. For bread the stone oven... Now mind you, for artisan breads I am a stone junkie-- have used mine for 14 years!!!! I think it is really crazy to say that the stones are the only pan to sell because they are so darn versatile. If th sheet pans get scratched, use the stainless steel cleaner. I for one am very impressed with the sheet pans! They are at least 30% heavier than my professional bakery sheet pans that are much larger!! Again, don't throw out the baby with the bath water here and just disregard the benefits of the sheet pans. They are professional grade and a lot of customers who may even prefer stones will appreciate the other benefits of the sheet pans. I am not betraying stoneware by selling sheet pans any more than I would be betraying a chopper by promoting forged cutlery... It is user preference and fits the needs of the cook... Stones can't do what sheet pans can at high heat. Sheet pans can't do the pourous cooking for crispy crusts...Of all the people who could/should love stones I am a huge fan!!! I will use and sell sheet pans because I think there is a market for them as well.

^^ Most of the people on this thread said they like the sheet pans. Even I who does like stones better, think that the sheet pan is a very nice product. Like our new newsletter says, when comparing stones to less quality metal sheets, the stones will win every time. There is a market for sheet pans, I don't deny that. That is why the company put them in our selling line in the first place. I told my experience with them so far, and I'm sure if I had a bakery and used them on a more regular basis, I would love them even more.... that said my opinion still is that I like the stones better. I do completely agree with your assessment about the Forged Cutlery and the Chopper, it is completely a personal preference thing.
I also think that after a while more people (especially consultants!) will like the sheet pans more with more use and discover that they are quality sheet pans.
For ones like myself who have been selling stoneware and bragging about how it is so much better than metal sheets, will have to make sure that I really show the quality of our sheet pans and how it can't compare to the crappy, cheap ones that most people use, or I will come across as a hypocrite, because I really did not own a metal pan until these came out except for the broiler pan that came with the oven that came with the house!:D And most of my customers know that, because I use to say that!

Last edited:
MissChef said:
^^ Most of the people on this thread said they like the sheet pans. Even I who does like stones better, think that the sheet pan is a very nice product. Like our new newsletter says, when comparing stones to less quality metal sheets, the stones will win every time. There is a market for sheet pans, I don't deny that. That is why the company put them in our selling line in the first place. I told my experience with them so far, and I'm sure if I had a bakery and used them on a more regular basis, I would love them even more.... that said my opinion still is that I like the stones better. I do completely agree with your assessment about the Forged Cutlery and the Chopper, it is completely a personal preference thing.
I also think that after a while more people (especially consultants!) will like the sheet pans more with more use and discover that they are quality sheet pans.
For ones like myself who have been selling stoneware and bragging about how it is so much better than metal sheets, will have to make sure that I really show the quality of our sheet pans and how it can't compare to the crappy, cheap ones that most people use, or I will come across as a hypocrite, because I really did not own a metal pan until these came out except for the broiler pan that came with the oven that came with the house!:D And most of my customers know that, because I use to say that!
I agree with you so much on this! I wasn't complaining about the new baking sheets just stating the fact that I love my stoneware so much I'm having a hard time finding something to make on the new baking sheets.

The difference between forged cultery and the food chopper can be missing fingers for some of us! There are a lot of things I'll use the food chopper over a knife anyday because I'm a klutz and knives just don't work well in my hands. Then again, there are things you need to do that you cannot use the food chopper for and I love our forged knives for those jobs. That's why we have both items available in the catalog - gives you something to pick from that works for you.

One thing that I can never do that you see all the time on the food network is chopping fresh herbs with a knife. That's practically a joke for me! I would rather use kitchen shears and a prep bowl over any forged knife!

Great post Stephanie. Thanks for sharing your professional insights!

Thanks girls. Good to hear that I am not going crazy. I have always used both kinds of pans for the same reason I love my deep dish baker and my torte pan. You are right about the chopper and the knives as far as cutting. I let my 5 yr old use the chopper but not the utility knife. For die hard cooks the sheet pans are a welcome addition, but for most purposes where one wants crispy stuff (lets face it, America loves crispy stuff) the stones are great. I am glad the company came out with the sheets. I think they are better in quality than any other sheet pan out there!!!

I'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way Stephanie!! Because I didn't want you to think that you couldn't voice your opinion! I just wanted you to know that most of us like the new pans. It is a matter of choice and I'm sure as I use them more I'll choose them but as you said for anything with crisp crust, it's only a stone that will do for me!:thumbup:
But I do like the sheet pans! Glad everything is cool on this thread!:thumbup: :cool: ;)

Couldn't take it wrong. It was very sincere. I was a chopping snob until I got the chopper and used it. Love it for so many things... so the thing a bout my 5 yr old using the chopper is not meant in a weird way either -- This is a great thread! Raising awareness. I think it is easy to get so rigid in thinking (myself included with the chopper) that it is hard to be open to a potentially great new idea. Does that clear up what I am saying. If we want people to try new products, we should be open to trying them. Dang. I"ve used PC since I was married 12 yrs ago... I have yet to find a product that I felt was inferior to others out there... We have nothing to be ashamed of or make exuses for our quality!! Horray!!

I love the sheet pans but don't have one yet.I would, however, be hesitant to make any PC recipe in them, especially in my oven! They suggest cooking on the "lower end of the time schedule" because they conduct heat more easily. Well, my oven burns EVERYTHING and I have learned to turn my oven down 25 degrees and check on the lower end of the time schedule even with stoneware! So the cookies I used to bake on airbakes ... OK, but the pizza and brownies? Nah, too much of a risk for me!

Di, check the temp calibration of your oven. It sounds like it runs hot. You can pick up an oven thermometer at Target or Wally World for a couple of bucks. It will save you much heartache and burnt food in the long run. (My oven currently runs 50-75 degrees hot, depending on the weather.)

Di_Can_Cook said:
I love the sheet pans but don't have one yet.

I would, however, be hesitant to make any PC recipe in them, especially in my oven! They suggest cooking on the "lower end of the time schedule" because they conduct heat more easily. Well, my oven burns EVERYTHING and I have learned to turn my oven down 25 degrees and check on the lower end of the time schedule even with stoneware! So the cookies I used to bake on airbakes ... OK, but the pizza and brownies? Nah, too much of a risk for me!

I'm with chefann on that. Oven thermometer (hey why don't we sell these??) The sheet pans are dang heavy! However,I am with you on the pizza-- crispy stone. Sheet pan would be good for brownies as well, extra chewy/moist because they don't have the pourous ability to remove moisture. I make those in the sheet pan. I should cut back on my brownies though...Hey I just gave out a brownie point... HaHa.

hey Chef StephanieI used my sheet pan last night! See what you started! LOL! I put 4 large breaded pork chops on it and they turned out real good, the kids were fighting over who could have the last of the little bit that I left in the pan.
I always add oats to my bread crumb mixture and the toasted oats get my kids every time! But I was really happy with the performance and the food tasted good!
As I was getting out my stuff to cook/bake on last night, I keep the roasting pan in my oven, and I had my sheet pan in there too, I just decided to use it, and I thought of you as I was!;)

If I was in WA I would just hug you!! I think it is open minded souls that change the world! Oh, and if you had frozen those chops after, they do recrisp when heated in the oven... Just another silly tip. Love the rolled oats idea... very sheek.

Hi there, never posted before but wanted to mention that I love using parchment paper! it keeps your metal baking sheets cleaner, you can prepare the sheets with the cookie dough ahead while one batch is baking, using the back of any old baking sheet and just slide it onto your metal pan when it is available. I'm hooked on parchment and wouldn't make homemade pizza or artisan bread or cookies without it. (of course its not for the broiler, that would be an interesting way to meet your local fireman)

bakermum said:
Hi there, never posted before but wanted to mention that I love using parchment paper! it keeps your metal baking sheets cleaner, you can prepare the sheets with the cookie dough ahead while one batch is baking, using the back of any old baking sheet and just slide it onto your metal pan when it is available. I'm hooked on parchment and wouldn't make homemade pizza or artisan bread or cookies without it. (of course its not for the broiler, that would be an interesting way to meet your local fireman)
Thanks for the parchment advice:thumbup: I just thought I'd tell you that you made me smile with your last sentence. Way to get started here, with humor! We love that! :D :D
Welcome to our board!;) :) And to Pampered Chef!

bakermum, hey girl! So true with the parchment and a good item to keep promoting at your shows because it is a consumable... they will definately need more! Agree on the parchment too, wouldn't run a kitchen or bakery without it! It keeps things nice and tidy.

I suppose I should get out of my box and try something new (that being the sheet pans) but I'm a stoneware snob!! I love my stones and honestly, there isn't anything else that goes in my oven. Seriously!! I've got both of the new sheet pans, but one of them just goes back and forth with me to my shows and I do brag about them....because I do agree that the quality is undeniable. But I can't honestly say that I cook with them. Guess I'm in the minority here!!! Maybe one of these days I'll "move my cheese" and try them out!

Could you would you in a box...Andrea,
It took me 12 years to try the food chopper even though I loved PC products. No worries on the not wanting to move your cheese-- A lot of people don't want to get out of their box... Just remember Sam I Am... could you would you in a box... Try them and you may I say. Too many times reading Green Eggs and Ham to my son Sam. I'm not saying to only eat green eggs, just try them now and then...

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "Have you tried using baking sheets instead of stoneware for your recipes?

1. Can I use baking sheets instead of stoneware for my recipes?
2. Are there any benefits to using baking sheets over stoneware?
3. Will the baking time be the same if I use a baking sheet instead of stoneware?
4. Can I still achieve the same results with baking sheets as I would with stoneware?
5. Is it safe to use baking sheets in place of stoneware?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • kcjodih
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • n8vtxn
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies