• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have You Ever Helped a Loved One Cope with Cancer Through the Power of a Wig?

In summary, Rae shared the story of her friend PBB who recently underwent chemotherapy and lost her hair. PBB found comfort and support at a store in Indiana called Belinda's Boutique. Rae encourages others to support their friends during difficult times.
raebates
Staff member
It will surprise no one that I have a very long post. :rolleyes: You've been warned.

I have a very good friend (my pig butt buddy hereafter referred to as PBB) who was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She had her first chemo treatment on February 26. She called me on Wednesday to tell me that her hair was starting to fall out, and she asked if I would take her to be fitted for a wig. Of course, I agreed.

It was a wonderful experience. Let me start by saying that PBB had gone with another friend to a place in another city a couple of weeks before her first treatment. She left nearly in tears. Every wig was either gray or in an "old lady" style--not what a 40-year-old wants to wear. So, as you can imagine, she was a bit uneasy about our little outing.

We drove a little over an hour to Lafayette (in west-central Indiana). The woman who owns the shop, Belinda, has been through more than one cancer battle. She is a funny, outrageous, caring, Christian woman. The shop has the feel of a boutique. She carries a variety of products for women with special needs. She was with a customer when we walked in, so she pointed out "the wig room, the boob room, and the hat room."

She helped PBB to find a wig and other accessories that would help her to "recognize herself" as she goes through her treatments. We were there for over 2 1/2 hours. We left with a wig, a halo (a fringe of hair to wear under hats), and two hats. Her main concern the entire time we were there was that PBB be able to do whatever helped her to cope with things in the way that she needs to cope.

In addition to helping her make her purchases, she shared some of the things that helped her through her own experiences. My friend left feeling confident and much better than she did on the way over.

If you are anywhere near Lafayette, IN, and know of someone who needs the services of this shop, I'll be glad to share the contact info. I'm sure there are other wonderful people in this line of work, but I know for a fact that this woman worked a miracle for my friend. And, yes, she is approved for most insurance carriers as a provider of cranial and/or mastectomy prosthetics.

Just so you know, I don't think everyone who loses their hair due to chemo needs to get a wig. I've know people who chose to bare their cute little bald heads with pride as they did battle with cancer. That simply was not this buddy's choice.

Rae, that's awesome. I'm glad you were there for your friend that this shop was here for her as well.Big (((HUGS))) to both of you.

Awww...my DD is growing her hair right now for Locks of Love - her choice! She heard about it and marched into me one day and announced what she was doing...she is 6.

That's awesome!

I've been to Lafayette ... last year I drove there to visit a friend. I think she has moved since then, but may still have family. I'll get in touch with her.

Wow! I never knew there was anything in Layflatte besides Boilermakers.
71526.gif
Great story, Rae, and that lady obviously knows that life is far too imporatant to take seriously. I always make it a point to strike up a conversation with someone wearing a do rag with no do under it, because I know what it's like. Been there, done that, puked in the bucket and didn't get a t-shirt at the finish line. (I never make mention of their condition, either, unless they bring it up first.)So, give my regards to PBB and, in the immortal words of my follicley-challenged oncologist, "It will grow back - but only where you have it now."(I may just have to stop at that store, next time I'm in Layflatte. I actually spent an eternity there one day.)

Rae...

That is such a nice story! Sorry to hear about her first (crappy) experience at the other place. You would be one of my first choices to go wig shopping with! I am sure that you, as well as the owner, made your PBB feel much better about herself and what she is dealing with! You are a blessing to those around you!

{{{HUGS}}} to you and your PBB!

One of the girls in my cluster is recovering from falopian tube cancer, which is treated almost the same as ovarian cancer. Shannon is Beautifully Bald after her chemo that ended toward the end of 2007. If PBB ever needs someone to comiserate with, I'll put her in touch with Shannon.

Rae...
what a wonderful post! Prayers to your PBB for a quick recovery and healing from her cancer, and what a blessing that lady who owns the shop must be to everyone that comes into her store! I'm so glad your friend was able to be a part of that blessing! :)

Thanks to all for the kind words.Katie, I'll let PBB know about Shannon. She probably won't need the contact, though. She's in touch with at least two other ovarian cancer survivors. She also has a book about taking control when you have ovarian cancer. We spent a good part of the day together yesterday at a 1/2 day women's retreat. It was great. The speaker was really funny, and, as the Bible says, laughter is good medicine.

wow, now I know two great things about Layflatte Indiana. There is a great BBQ place that my family and I always stop at when we go between IL and IN. The food is great! But it sounds like this shop was a lot more fulfilling.
Thanks for sharing a wonderful story.

Just remember the motto of every chemo patient..."Hair today, gone tomorrow!"

Not Now, I'm Having A No Hair Day!Would you like to help out someone who's just embarking on the road to recovery?

51Y7Y9BXARL._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

It's available at amazon and other fine booksellers.

I saw an article about Christine Clifford, and her book, in the St. Paul paper when I was working in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, back in the mid 1990's. The article and title of the book stuck with me, probably because my mother beat cancer twice. (Then her heart killed her, so no one ever said life was fair!)

I never thought I'd need the laughs in this book myself, just a few years later. Like I said in a post earlier today, in another thread, there is no situation in life that is so serious and so solemn that there isn't something funny about it.

Laughter IS the best medicine!

PBB has a copy of that one, KG. When we got to the shop, Belinda, the owner, asked me what we'd done on the way. PBB said that we'd gone to lunch at McAllister's Deli. I then pointed out that she had forced me to go to the Coldstone Creamery next door. Belinda looked at me and said, "You the one with cancer?" I said, "Nope."She said, "Then suck it up! It's all about her right now."She went on to tell us that when her husband asks if she should be eating something, she tells him she has to die of something and its not going to be cancer. ;)The woman is wonderful. I think you'd like her, KG.

raebates said:
I then pointed out that she had forced me to go to the Coldstone Creamery next door.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k262/mrsford7/blinky/22rofl.gif

Rae!

Did you actually say that with a straight face!??

Listen, from one ice cream lover to another, we both know there was no "forcing" involved!!

Yeah. Forcing me to visit cold stone sounds a bit like this:
Friend who is doing the "alleged" forcing: "I was thinking maybe we could go to Cold Stone for dessert."
Me: "Well, if you are going to force me, I guess I will go. I don't want our friendship to dissolve over something as trivial as ice cream. You don't have to be so pushy though!"

Was that the same conversation you guys had? LOL

Kelly, you've met me. Of course, I said it with a straight face.

Actually, when we drove up to McAllister's, we noticed the Coldstone Creamery. PBB said she thought we might need to get a little ice cream. I told her I'd go if she really insisted [wink, wink]. We both made nice, healthy choices at the deli.* As we finished, she said that she felt the need to add a bit more protein/dairy to her food choices for the day. She offered to literally twist my arm if I needed it. She's a good friend. I chose the smallest serving of dark chocolate with coconut. Not too bad, considering the other choices. :angel:

*PBB is doing her best to make healthy food choices to help her body fight the cancer. I fell off the diabetes bandwagon big time for about six weeks, and I'm doing my best to get myself back on track. I had a period of about 6 weeks (late December through early February) that I battled insomnia. During that time I never once, seriously, not once, slept for more than 45 minutes straight. Usually I'd sleep 30-40 minutes, then wake up for 1/2 hour. After about a week, my brain turned to mush. When you don't get sleep, you tend to crave simple carbs. There were days when the only thing that would help was a cream-filled, chocolate-covered donut, which I willingly drove 8 miles each way to get. Needless to say, the blood sugars went a bit haywire. Melatonin worked wonders, and I'm now sleeping through the night. :) At my recent doctor appointment I confessed my slippage to him. He said that, considering my donut (and candy, and bread, and . . . well, you get the idea) dive, my numbers were pretty good. I'm back on track and feeling muuuuuuuch better.

Rae...glad to hear that you are getting back on track with your foods. I forgot that you had to watch your sugars, but I really could not FATHAM needing to get talked into Cold Stone! I very rarely go there since it is sooooo expensive, and I can't even imagine their calorie count!

Hmmmm....actually, the last time I went was when I was prego with Evan. Seems a Cold Stone run will be in my future...

Tee Hee!

You're entitled. You are carrying a precious life inside you. You have my permission, for what it's worth.

raebates said:
You're entitled. You are carrying a precious life inside you. You have my permission, for what it's worth.
Well, since you are insisting on twisting my arm, I may have to go soon! :love:

Hey, it's dairy. Dairy is important when you're pregnant. Add a few nuts, and you can count it as protein, too. Healthy all the way, baby!

She already gets more than the government RDA of nuts just by visiting this place.

Last edited:
Point taken.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
She already gets more than the government RDA of nuts just by visiting this place.
Boy I'll say!!

(That's one of DH's favorite sayings...too bad we don't have "hear-o-vision" on here so you can hear him. It's like BBOUY Ialllsay! With the B very loud and the "oy" really drawn out.) Sorry. Probably makes more sense in person! LOL

Thought I'd give you an update on my PBB. She just completed her third chemo treatment. She's been experiencing some neuropathy, so they kept her overnight this time, drawing out the treatment over 30 hours and adding another drug. She's half finished with the chemo.

Plus, her numbers are great! For one of her blood tests, 20 or less is considered normal. Before her surgery, her result was over 12,740. After surgery but before her first chemo treatment, it was 135. After her first treatment it was 38. After the second it was 13! I tease her that normal (which equals average) is not a good goal. However, I've told her that just this once I will support her goal of becoming normal. :)

Thanks for all your prayers.

1. What is the purpose of "What a Wonderful Ministry"?

The purpose of "What a Wonderful Ministry" is to support and empower individuals to serve their communities through acts of kindness and generosity.

2. How does "What a Wonderful Ministry" work?

"What a Wonderful Ministry" works by providing resources, tools, and ideas to help individuals and groups plan and carry out service projects in their communities.

3. What types of service projects does "What a Wonderful Ministry" support?

"What a Wonderful Ministry" supports a variety of service projects, including but not limited to, volunteering at local soup kitchens, organizing donation drives, and participating in community clean-up efforts.

4. Can anyone participate in "What a Wonderful Ministry"?

Yes, anyone can participate in "What a Wonderful Ministry" regardless of age, background, or skill level. The only requirement is a willingness to serve others and make a positive impact in your community.

5. How can I get involved with "What a Wonderful Ministry"?

There are several ways to get involved with "What a Wonderful Ministry." You can start by checking out our website for project ideas and resources, joining our online community to connect with others, or organizing your own service project and sharing it with us. You can also follow us on social media for updates and inspiration.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
nikked
Replies
Views
Admin Greg