• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has Anyone Taught a Cooking Class

In summary, the author is considering teaching a monthly cooking class, but has not yet decided what to do. The class would be for people to pay $X to get ingredients and then would prepare a meal together. The class would be for people who are not advanced cooks and would focus on a certain type of cuisine. The author has experience teaching this type of class, but is worried about liability. The class would be for people who live in the same town as the author.
vogee13
I have the opportunity to possible teach a monthly cooking class, but have not idea what to do.

Here is the tentative outline as we are still planning. Each participant would pay $X for ingredients and we would prepare a meal, etc. I am still deciding who to gear the class towards.

Can anyone give me ideas , tips, their experience with this sort of thing as I have never done something like this.

The ones I see offered around here usually focus on a certain type of cuisine - Asian, Indian, Spanish, etc. I believe they are for more advanced cooks who want to learn something new.

I've also seen some for kids, where they just do one recipe - not a whole meal.

Are you doing this as a Pampered Chef thing?If so, Pampered Chef doesn't charge for our shows and that would be the impression you are giving if you charge people to attend, whether it's covering the ingredients or not. Our shows are free... we get paid to sell products, not teach people how to cook. I'm guessing that it's a show since you posted this under Bookings.If it is just a regular cooking class without promoting PC's products, you'd be fine.Where would you be teaching the class? Also, if it is a regular cooking class, not a show, be sure that you have the proper insurance coverage to do something like that.

I was teaching monthly classes before I moved in December. It was not PC related, but of course the tools were all our products (and I ended up getting some nice orders). It was with a volunteer organization so I only charged for groceries.

I called it "Relaxed Cooking" (with the tag line "...because it just doesn't have to be stressful".) It was very informal and well, relaxed. There were two groups of gals, about 14 per group. Each month we covered different skills by making a meal together (everyone was divided into two-person stations).

For example, in October the focus was puff pastry, pureed soups, and a basic formula for salads. We made a mushroom & creme fraiche puff pastry, a potato-bacon soup, a broccoli-almond soup, a cranberry-pecan-blue cheese salad, and individual apple puff pastry desserts. It sounds ambitous, but we always managed to be sitting down to eat two hours after starting (the sessions were 10:00-1:00). We also had a lot of fun (egos were checked at the door).

Colleen raises a good point about liability. It would be wise to ask people to sign a disclaimer. I offered these classes in conjunction with the volunteer group I belonged to...so there was already some 'overhead protection.'

I taught a series of classes a couple years ago. I charged a small fee and gave participants a (redeemable through me) PC gift certificate in that amount. I taught the class using just PC items but did not ask for orders. Everyone did use their certificates and some spend more than that. It was not profitable (the cost of the food was not covered by my commission on their purchases) but all agreed it was a lot of fun and I did meet some new people through doing it.

There is a gal (I'm assuming also a PC cons.) in the next town to me doing this. I saw her classes listed in the comunity ed brochure. All of the classes were centered arround PC recipes and themes.

Further clarrificationThe class woule be at the local YMCA and it would not be a Pampered Chef class but like someone else said - I would be using PC products for the teaching. I was considering it more for the contacts I could make. The minimal charge would cover the food only. It would be a volunteer type class, I would not be getting paid for it.

I am trying to persue other avenues of making contacts for my businesss and thought this might be an option.

Sounds great. Check with the YMCA if their insurance will cover you if something happens at the class... like someone has an allergic reaction or gets sick from the food. Also, in most states you will need some sort of license to cook for others and be sure you're using an inspected commercial kitchen. You can probably get a permit for the day from your county... figure that into the cost as well so you won't be out $$$. Just be sure to cover you hiney.

1. How do I find a cooking class taught by a Pampered Chef consultant?

You can search for cooking classes on our website by entering your zip code and selecting "cooking classes" in the search bar. You can also reach out to your local consultant to inquire about upcoming classes.

2. Do I need to have any cooking experience to attend a Pampered Chef cooking class?

No, our cooking classes are designed for all skill levels. Our consultants will guide you through the recipes and techniques so that you can successfully create delicious meals.

3. What types of dishes are typically taught in a Pampered Chef cooking class?

Our cooking classes cover a variety of dishes, from appetizers to desserts. The specific dishes taught may vary depending on the consultant and the theme of the class, but all of our recipes are easy to follow and use high-quality Pampered Chef products.

4. Can I purchase Pampered Chef products at a cooking class?

Yes, our consultants often have products available for purchase at their cooking classes. You can also browse and order products on our website or through your consultant.

5. Is there a cost to attend a Pampered Chef cooking class?

The cost of our cooking classes varies depending on the consultant and the type of class. Some classes may be free, while others may have a small fee to cover the cost of ingredients. You can contact your local consultant for more information on pricing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
stacywhitlow
  • its_me_susan
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
SillyChef
  • Michael Serrano
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies