• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has Anyone Made an Ice Cream Cake?

In summary, my daughter's birthday is tomorrow and for her birthday party on Saturday, she wants me to make her and icecream cake! She wants a real chocolate cake with icecream, cookie dough ice cream that is! Like what you'd get at Baskin Robins! But she wants me to make it cause that's what she really wants. So okay. I don't mind saving money.
MissChef
Gold Member
My daughter's birthday is tomorrow and for her birthday party on Saturday, she wants me to make her and icecream cake! She wants a real chocolate cake with icecream, cookie dough ice cream that is! Like what you'd get at Baskin Robins! But she wants me to make it cause that's what she really wants. So okay. I don't mind saving money.:D
I've been to the Rachel Ray website and Martha Stewart and another site (can't remember the name) and I've printed a few recipes but I'd love to see what my cheffer friends can advise. We PC cheffers really have some good recipes!;) :p :D
Please let me know if you do, I have a field trip today with my daughter but I will check here when I come back!
Thanks in advance!:D

Last edited:
Have you tried the Kraft Foods Website? It seems to me they had some cakes like that on there.....also, Allrecipes.com - they seem to have everything I have ever looked for!

If you bake a cake and then make an ice cream layer in the same size pan, you can just stack them. I suggest the round cake pans. Make 1 layer of cake (a Jiffy-size mix, or batter from making cupcakes). Use a second pan to mold ice cream. Line it with plastic wrap, then fill with softened ice cream. Spread to smooth. Put in freezer to harden. Then you can use the plastic to pop it out.

Or, you can bake a 9x13 cake mix in the Springform pan, and then just slice it in half or thirds. Then you could form the ice cream in the pan, and pop off the sides and slide the ice cream onto the cake in layers......then make a chocolate ganache to pour over the top, and stick it in the freezer to harden. Hey! This sounds so good, I think I may try this for DH for Fathers Day - and use French Silk Ice Cream (his fav!)

And MissChef - my little guys 3rd B-day is tomorrow too - but I have to try make a Barnyard Cake for him! It was in Taste of Home a couple issues ago - in the Cupcake issue - and he has been carrying around the magazine and telling everyone that I was making it for him for his B-day! That's mybig project for Today and Tomorrow....besides cleaning the house for company, and doing a show tonight, and getting ready for a Bridal Show on Sat w/ about 25 expected guests.......I wish someone would invent a 36 hour day!

Okay I have made an ice cream cake on several occasions. I have always used the springform pan because it's easier to release. I bake whatever base you want in the springform pan (brownies, cake, grahm cracker crust, or pretzel crust, cookie) Then I let the pan cool overnight w/ a towel over it. In the morning I soften whatever ice cream I want (I always add toppings and nuts in between layers) Then for the finale I take the ead and do rosettes of whip topping w/ sprinkles, choc shavings, drizzle more fudge, caramel.

I reread your post, and this is what I would do. Make a round of choc cake in the springform and that's your base. Do a layer of cookie dough ice cream, drizzle choc over that, then a layer of choc ice cream. Do the rosettes w/ whip topping, then crumble up cookie dough over the top and use the dec. bottles to say happy b-day.

Have fun, I am sure whatever you make your daughter will be happy that you made it.

If you want the ice cream on the bottom (my personal preference) you could bake a box mix in the Lg Bar pan then using the Springform pan like a biscuit cutter and cut out a layer of cake. Then fill the SFpan with the icecream, fudge layer then the cake. I would ganache it or whip cream it with sprinkles or something.

Whichever way you choose to do it I'm sure it will turn out good! Good luck! Take pictures if you have some time to breath for us.

thanks for all the help!

Pamperedalf
For the cookie dough that you sprinkle on top, is there something I could buy that doesn't have the raw egg concern? I am a little leary of that considering I'll be feeding a lot of kids!

I make ice cream cakes alot.
I actually have the Betty Crocker pans, one is baked alaska shaped the other I think is a tube pan. You can find them sometimes at target, a kitchen store outlet type not Williams Sonoma and I've seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond & Linens N Things. (Love those 20% off coupons)

When I make them in my springform pan I freeze the cake for an hour and slice it with dental floss.
We are always making the turtle one.
I use a devils food cake mix, spread caramel ice cream topping on add pralines and cream ice cream, then chopped pecans. Add another cake layer, then hot fudge sauce and more ice cream keep alternating until 3rd cake layer is on top. I gently smash each layer down as I add it.
REFREEZE and take out about 15 minutes before serving. Then we garnish with cool whip , more pecans and drizzled hot fudge sauce I've heated up.

MissChef said:
thanks for all the help!

Pamperedalf
For the cookie dough that you sprinkle on top, is there something I could buy that doesn't have the raw egg concern? I am a little leary of that considering I'll be feeding a lot of kids!

Here's a recipe for unbaked dough - an unusual idea for those who just love raw cookie dough!

1 cup soft butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon water
1 (6 ounce) package mini chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar together. Add remaining ingredients and mix well by hand.

Thanks Jennifer, I wasn't paying attention.

Has anyone used the new torte pan set for ice cream cakes? Just bake the cakes and spread the ice cream in the indentions and put the whole thing in freezer to set up? I'd like to know if that works.

If you want an easy PC recipe that tastes like a DQ cake to me, try the Ice Cream Sandwich Torte! It was a Season's Best recipe a couple of summers ago...yum!!

Good luck!!

Thanks Paula..... I did do that in the past, for her when she turned 5.
Now she wants the actual birthday cake type. Where you make the cake and spread the icecream on it and she want's cookie dough! She loves cookie dough! I have to make double batches of cookie dough when I makes cc cookies because between all three of my kids (husband included, hehe!) I never have enough cookies to even make it worth it! The eat about 1/2 a batch of cookie dough between the three of them! My hubby being the most guilty party of them all!
So, here is my final decission. I think I'm going to do the idea of freezing the ice cream the Rectagle baker with parchment paper because I'm all for easy!
Then I am doing devils food chocolate cakes, 2 of them in my rectangle baker or each in a barpan for thinner layers, and then make 4 layers. I have to feed about 15 people so I need it to be big

Here's another PC recipe, just in case someone else would be on this thread, and need it. It's from an old cookbook called "Kids in the Kitchen", pages 84-85.
I've never made it, but it sure looks good!!

I Scream, You Scream, Ice Cream Cake

15 chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 favorite candy bars (about 2 ounces each)
2 quarts or 1 half-gallon any flavor(s) ice cream
1 container (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
multicolored sprinkles or small candy decorations

1. On Cutting Board, finely chop cookies, 2-3 at a time, using Food Chopper. Place butter in Covered Micro-Cooker. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted. Mix in cookie crumbs with Bamboo Spoon. Press crumb mixture onto bottom of Springform Pan. Freeze 15 minutes.

2. Using My Safe Cutter, cut each candy bar into 4 pieces; chop using Food Chopper.

3. Using Kitchen Shears, cut ice cream container(s) apart to expose block of ice cream. Using Crinkle Cutter, cut half of ice cream into 1-inch-thick slices. Arrange ice cream slices over cookie crust, cutting pieces to fit. Spread into a smooth layer with All-Purpose Spreader. Sprinkle with chopped candy bar. Top with remaining ice cream prepared the same way as first layer. Smooth top with spreader. Cover with aluminum foil. Freeze 3 hours or overnight.

4. Attach open star tip to Easy Accent Decorator. Fill tube with whipped topping and set aside. Run My Safe Cutter around edge of ice cream cake. Release collar from pan. Using spreader, frost top and side of ice cream cake with whipped topping. Decorate with whipped topping using decorator. Top with sprinkles. Freeze 1 hour or overnight. Once whipped topping is frozen, lightly cover cake with plastic wrap.

5. Adult help: To serve, cut into wedges using Slice 'N Serve. (If cake was frozen overnight, place in refrigerator 10 minutes before slicing.)

Servings: 12

Cook's Tip: To make the candy bar pieces easier to chop, wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze for 10 minutes.

thanks again, paula, I think I need to go with what my daughter really wants which is the actual cake, like a baskin robins cake.
I think I'm going to make these other suggestions in the summer though!:D

Absolutely!! I just remembered that we had the recipe, so I thought I'd post it, just in case someone wanted it.

Doing what your daughter has requested is a wonderful thing. She will no doubt be very happy that you love her so much!!

I'm sure it will be great, however you end up making it!!

Have a fun party, and I hope you make lots of happy memories!!

I did it! And everyone loved it!
I'll give you the best word pictures that I can because I don't have much in pictures yet. I should be getting some back soon. My B I L took a few so I should have a few.
It wasn't glamorous but it turned out nice and it was HUGE! And My hubby has given me a couple of compliments throughout the day! It made me feel good when one of my neices said, "whoever made this cake, it's awesome!" And my daughter said, "my Mom made it of course, cause she makes the best cakes ever! And when I asked for a icecream cake she asked around and found all kinds of recipes and came up with her own from all those recipes, and I think it's better than all those recipes!!" awwww shucks!:p :D :eek: :D

I ended making 3 cake mixes! I made all of them on parchment paper in my large bar pans. Then I layered i icecream on parchment paper in the medium bar pan, 1st layer was choc chip and the 2nd layer was choc chip cookie dough. Then I trimed off the edges of the cake to match to the ice cream layers.

I'll come back in a few, I need to put my kids to bed!:D

That sounds so good! I've never had a ice cream cake with a regular cake layered in.It is WONDERFUL to have your mom make every cake for you! My mom ALWAYS figured a way to make my choice of a cake, every year! When she turned 50, my brother and I planned a surprise party, and I made 2 huge sheet cakes of cakes at my grandparents house, because I said that she always made ours...I couldn't go out and buy hers! The writing wasn't great on it, and the 2 weren't the same size....but she loved it, and it tasted pretty good! Oh, and she didn't make me one for my 23rd birthday, because I was on a business trip in Colorado....so instead, she flew out to see me over the weekend there!!! The mother-daughter bond is a wonderful thing :)

I will finish telling you all about it after I get home from church!
I, uhhhh, fell asleep right after I put the kids to bed! I was tuckered out! That's what b-day parties do to me!:) :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Okay, so I put the first layer of cake upside down, then I put 1 layer of icecream and then I drizzled choc syrup, then I sprinkled on a few white and choc. chip, and also small cut up cubes of choc chip cookies. then I put the next layer of cake on, and reapeated the ice cream layer and toppings, then I put the 3 rd layer of cake one. I then put a whole large tub of cool whip all over it! Which was a fabulous idea because it make it pretty and it made the cake not so sweet! I put it in the freezer and let it get nice and hard then we I took it out and wrote Happy Birthday Jessica on the top with homemade choc. frosting, and then we put a chocolate border around it then put 7 little flower designs and put the 7 candles in there and of course got it back in the freezer!
It wanted to keep melting but I wouldn't let it! I'll tell you what those handy scrapers are dream come true products. they just cleaned everything right up! I served it on the lg grooved cutting board turned upside down! It was the only thing that would support it and it worked out great!

I am sure that the day has come and gone, but on the cover of FAMILY CIRCLE they have an ice cream cake, and although I was intimidated by the cover, the recipe is fairly easy!! I think the issue is July 2007.

1. How do I make an ice cream cake using Pampered Chef products?

To make an ice cream cake using Pampered Chef products, you will need the Chillzanne® Rectangle Server, the Ice Cream Sandwich Maker, and the Cake Pan Set. First, use the Chillzanne® Rectangle Server to freeze your ice cream sandwich layers. Then, use the Ice Cream Sandwich Maker to create the perfect ice cream sandwiches for your cake. Finally, assemble your cake in the Cake Pan Set and freeze until ready to serve.

2. Can I use any type of cake for an ice cream cake?

Yes, you can use any type of cake for an ice cream cake. However, it is best to use a cake that is sturdy and can hold up to being frozen and cut into slices. A pound cake or angel food cake works well for this purpose.

3. How far in advance can I make an ice cream cake?

You can make an ice cream cake up to a week in advance. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to serve. Keep in mind that the longer it is in the freezer, the harder the ice cream will become, so it may need a few minutes to soften before cutting into slices.

4. Can I use frozen yogurt instead of ice cream in my ice cream cake?

Yes, you can use frozen yogurt instead of ice cream in your ice cream cake. Just make sure to use the same amount and follow the same freezing instructions as you would with ice cream.

5. How do I prevent my ice cream cake from melting too quickly?

To prevent your ice cream cake from melting too quickly, be sure to keep it in the freezer until right before serving. You can also place it on a chilled serving platter or tray to help keep it cold. Avoid leaving it out at room temperature for too long and try to cut and serve quickly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • KellyTheChef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Partyof5
  • kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies