• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hanging My Apron up - Sort Of...

In summary, the author's husband tells her that she can continue her business as a catalog-only business, but with some changes. She should transition to "catalog-only" status and stop doing home parties. She should also market herself and service those who want to host a home show.
pchefinski
So I talked to my husband b’c I felt like my business was taking up too much of my time and I was unable to concentrate on my duties of wife and mother; he said that I was improving on things and he was confident that I could continue my business if I turned it into a catalog-only type of thing. (Um, I expected him to tell me to close up shop.) He’s sure I’d do fine; after all, Avon is a catalog-only business. (Well, I’d do fundraisers and bridal registries, and probably some express shows where you just take a recipe or a few products, set up and then come back later to pick it up and collect orders.) I know that I couldn’t do the catalog-only thing full-time, and that’s fine by me, as I don’t want full-time hours. I was so sure of what I wanted and then WHAM! out comes news of the incentive trip and then I’m talking to my mom and she suddenly decides to do a catalog show for me (she never would do that the whole first year of my business) in February so that I can get double points from it. She is super supportive of me earning an incentive trip, and then I start thinking of how nice it’d be to go to London for a 2nd honeymoon – on PC – and how we could NEVER afford to do anything like that on our own outside of PC. And how we could really use the financial boost of having a bunch of shows – even catalog ones! (I can pay off all our non-house debt this year by doing four $500 shows per month) I have good results so far with catalog shows. Almost all of my past catalog shows have been $500 or more, and I have a LOT of friends and family that live hours away from me that can only do a catalog show. I’m beginning to wonder if I go “catalog-only” they’d be more apt to host for me, because they wouldn’t feel guilty that they couldn’t have a home show (as a couple of them have already mentioned). The other bonus of going “catalog-only” is that I’d avoid the random anxiety attacks I get when I have to do an actual demo. My catalog show average is higher than my home show average, and I really believe it’s because I lack confidence in the demo area of my show. In the 16 months I’ve done PC, I’ve only done 2 home shows, and in both, I’ve done horribly when it comes to my demo. I read on this board once that if you don’t do demos very often, you’ll most likely lack confidence in doing them. For me, demos almost inhibit my success because I don’t do them often enough to be confident and sure of myself in that area. I’ve tried to pre-set what recipe I do so that I can practice that one again and again and be confident in what I’m doing, but both shows I’ve had, the host couldn’t eat the recipe I had chosen, or didn’t want it and put their foot down in wanting to pick something else. Overall, it just makes me uncomfortable and that turns into lack of confidence and I feel as if I’m not being taken seriously (which I feel I already battle, as I'm thought to be "kind of young to do this") and it reflects in my sales total. I’m so flustered and uncomfortable about an upcoming kitchen show at the end of January that I don’t want to do it – I want to just pass it off to my recruiter (that I don’t have that wonderful of a relationship with). Hubby says that I’ve made the commitment to hold the kitchen show so I need to follow through (I’m getting the stomach guckies just thinking about it). But (after that) can I go to status where I don’t do home parties? I would feel terrible telling someone who wants a demo that I don’t do home parties; I guess I could send them to my recruiter. I guess it’s a matter of putting my foot down and deciding what kind of business I want that will fit into my lifestyle and meet my needs, and then just take the good and bad that come with it. How would I transition? I’m excited about going to just “catalog-only” status, but I’m unsure of how to market myself and how to service those (seemingly rare) people who really want host a home show. Any thoughts or suggestions? (Sorry this is so long!)

This is your business!Amanda this is your business. And how you choose to run it is up to you. I find that my catalog shows are very successful sometimes and my home shows are usually very successful sometimes also. It just depends. You obviously have a better chance getting great sales on catalog shows so I say GO FOR IT!
If your husband and you feel that this is hurting your time at home when you do cooking shows, then by all means do something to fix that. Your family and children are much more important than doing cooking shows that you feel aren't even as successful as your catalog shows.
It may help you to get more bookings since collecting orders is so easy, compared to inviting everyone over to a show. Although everyone is different. I have some hosts that love to have friends over. Some don't. It just depends. It seems your circle of customers prefer the catalog shows, so I say promote it as much as possible and how knows you might be having that second honeymoon.
Debbie :D

not to be negative (this is meant to encourage you to do more cooking shows to achieve your dream) London will be very hard to achieve with only catalog shows points for London at the consultant level are $110,000 with 2 recruits
Teresa

Hi, Amanda! Relax. It will come. Right now, build confidence with catalog shows. Tell everyone how fantastic these are! You know some things about catalog shows that many of us don't. I encourage you to share how you get high averages.

A good next step is, "Express Shows" - having a recipe prepared ahead of time, where you talk for 10 mins. max, about how you prepared a recipe, or show 2 or 3 (higher-priced) tools, then let folks browse with catalogs - you can even leave, and go pickup your stone / items the next day with orders! This is roughly what Tom Marsten does - though he has a whole "schtick" with having guests 'sell' each other for 20+ minutes, by nudging their conversations with 3 amazingly productive positive points...

-Really? Why do you like it so much?

-It sounds like you are excited about that tool. Is it easy to clean?

-You feel like your friends should have one? What would you tell them - why do they need it?

You can accomplish a lot with a warm personality, and a "spin" on the show, that keeps products in the customer's minds and ears.

Its ok to do catalog only shows. Maybe what you also need to do is decide that you are only working on PC stuff from 9-11 am 3 times a week or 8-10 at night 2 times a week, whatever makes sense for you. Obviously there will be days when you have to do your work at other hours because a host calls or you have appointments. But try to set limits as it sounds to me like what you want is to feel more in control of your life.

Teresa Lynn said:
not to be negative (this is meant to encourage you to do more cooking shows to achieve your dream) London will be very hard to achieve with only catalog shows points for London at the consultant level are $110,000 with 2 recruits
Teresa

It says on the "rules" page that it's 78,000 pts for consultant lvl 3.. it's 110,000 for lvl 4. I know that unless Heaven itself opens up on my business, I won't make London by doing catalog shows. :rolleyes: I have lofty dreams; a lot of which never come true. but I guess I can always dream right?

Amanda,

I would encourage you to suggest an express show for your January show. Maybe by not doing a full demo you will regain your confidence in cooking shows. Sometimes people really like a chance to get together and to see the products. The last three shows I did were express shows and one of them ended up my highest ever at $1300! I find it gives me more time to talk to them about the products and what they can use them for.

That being said, if you're not comfortable with it or it takes up too much time then by all means do the catalog shows. I have a hard time making my catalog shows into an actual show so that's awesome that you have a $500 average. Make your business fit your family not the other way around.

As for the trip, recruiting is definately a factor and don't forget about those bridal registries and online orders. Those are great extras!

Good luck and don't forget to have fun!!

I know this sounds stupid, but I am also deathly afraid of cooking shows! I get REALLY nervous and even lightheaded! I wrote out my whole show, not just an outline, and practiced over and over in front of my kids. They think I am nuts and now know a little too much about stoneware, but once I had a show it felt great to have my "routine" to fall back on!

At this point in my business I am doing just catalog shows. My job is with La Homeland Security which means I am super busy with Huricane Katarina and Rita. I started selling PC the month before the hurricane. Well, to say the first year was slow would be an understatement. Now things are picking up my job is very demading and I have to give that 110%, So I decided about 3 months ago ( when I became a supervisor) that PC would become a catalog and onlice sales business for me. I am still here making $$$. It is a little harder because you don't have the people in front to impress with the products. Use the website as much as possible. And make phone cals as offten as you can, And carry catalogs and orders all the time.
You can do it.
Good Luck
Charlene

gilliandanielle said:
I know this sounds stupid, but I am also deathly afraid of cooking shows! I get REALLY nervous and even lightheaded! I wrote out my whole show, not just an outline, and practiced over and over in front of my kids. They think I am nuts and now know a little too much about stoneware, but once I had a show it felt great to have my "routine" to fall back on!

I get nervous also to the point that I feel like a total idiot sometimes also. I just thought everyone here had it all together unlike me, "Nervous Nellie!"
Schel

Amanda, I'm totally feeling you on the demos. I'm migrating to all catalogs and individual orders too. We'll see how it goes. May not make a ton of money, but keeps us active.

I am so sorry you all feel like this about cooking shows. I was so shy before PC. You couldn't have paid me enough to stand up in front if a room to talk to a group of people. NO WAY!!! Now you can't shut me up--LOL!!!!
PC has been so positive for me. It has definitely brought me out of my shell.
In the beginning I would tell people that I really am a shy person so bare with me and they all helped me through! Best of luck!!!;)

WHAT IS SUCCESS?

"Success isn't something you chase. It's something you have
to put forth the effort for constantly. Then maybe it'll come when you least expect it. Most people don't understand
that." -- Michael Jordan

People often get frustrated because they aren't achieving "success." One reason I have found for this frustration is that many people allow their definition of success to be driven by someone or something else.

Instead, we ought to be looking at our own skills, opportunities and life situations to determine what it would mean for us to be a success in our own mind, rather than someone else's.

For one person, being a success may mean making $100,000 a year. For another, it may be $250,000. Others may not be motivated by money and may consider themselves sucessful by how many people they positively impact each and every day through their work.

So, my advice is: Set your own course, and stay on course. Don't measure yourself against any other standard of success. Do what you do best, and the rest will take care of itself.

Belinda hits it on the nail. For so long, my definition of "success" has been something I've chased and never caught. The chase of an incentive trip (that probably isn't possible to achieve with my current status), or full-time work. But now, after a lot of struggle, I'm changing my personal definition of success. I'm defining success (at this moment in my life and circumstance) as being able to stay on course as an active consultant, without doing full home (demo) shows. My life situation at this point in time makes that a success in my mind (and my husband's), though it may not seem like a success to others. Thank you to everyone who is encouraging me in the decision to change my business - it may not be the way others want to run their business, but I no longer wish to measure myself against everyone else (whom at times I envy for such a high standard of success). I will strive to do what I do best, and to bend my business around my family, so that I can have the best of both worlds -- a business that brings joy, personal escape and financial blessing to our family, and the necessary time needed to devote on personal responsibilities. As it stands, I have 4 people interested in hosting catalog shows for me, a home show set for the end of January (which at Michele's suggestion, I will pitch the host on turning it into an Express Show), and another friend to ask. I have some emails to send and phone calls to make. I am excited, ready to take on a business that seems challenging but not overwhelming, and having faith that the "rest" will take care of itself (God's faithful like that!).

Good luck Amanda! It is YOUR business to run YOUR way!

gilliandanielle said:

Omgosh Gillian that does NOT sound stupid at all. I have a cooking show tomorrow and I am like, freaking out right now. My first show, I (TMI - Threw up from being SO nervous) lol. Sounds insane. I would LOVE to just have catalog shows and make the money I do at a cooking show. lol. :cool:

Amanda,
I agree with everyone else that this is your business. It sounds like you have a handle on what you can do (very good!)
One more idea for your upcoming January show. For your express show, have the food made in advance. Then set up stations with tools that guests can try. Welcome guests, tell them the food is just about ready, and invite them to play until you are ready to serve. They will sell to each other while they play.
One of the speakers at Leadership said before each show, she prays to God to help her change lives (or something like that) at her upcoming party or meeting. Don't think about yourself at your party. Think of how you are helping your hosts and her friends. Hopefully that will stop your nerves.

No one is immune to feeling nervous before a show! :eek:

pchefinski said:
It says on the "rules" page that it's 78,000 pts for consultant lvl 3.. it's 110,000 for lvl 4. I know that unless Heaven itself opens up on my business, I won't make London by doing catalog shows. :rolleyes: I have lofty dreams; a lot of which never come true. but I guess I can always dream right?

If you manage to recruit (2000 points each that qualifies) and promote, you could do it! I have had several $500-600 catalog shows. But since you won't have the chance to tell those customers, be sure to tell your hosts.

Do what I do - compliment people who are in customer service roles who have given you great service. Tell them you are always looking for good people on your team, and would they like some more information; get their name/address/phone. In one week I offered the opportunity to the ldy at Payless and a college student running our local bowling alley - one signed 2 days later, the other is going to sign before the kit/price change. I'm not bragging, I just want you to hold onto your dream and go after it more aggressively in other ways.

For shows, why not do it the "open house" way, without calling it that. Be more like the jewelry shows and show your wares creatively (you might want to spend more time on set up?). Talk to people one-to-one. Have a board with upcoming specials.... Have "try me" stations where people can try the chopper and knives ~ have cucumbers & potatoes out to use.

We'll all be here for you! Maybe without the demo you'll become less nervous about talking to people and find yourself wanting to at least talk about the oipportunity?

You'll have to stay busy ~ and yes focus on getting fundraisers. The glorified catalog show type can be HUGE!

Good luck!!!
Susan :)

chefkristin said:
I am so sorry you all feel like this about cooking shows. I was so shy before PC. You couldn't have paid me enough to stand up in front if a room to talk to a group of people. NO WAY!!! Now you can't shut me up--LOL!!!!
PC has been so positive for me. It has definitely brought me out of my shell.
In the beginning I would tell people that I really am a shy person so bare with me and they all helped me through! Best of luck!!!;)

Me too Kristin! I used to be shy also; but now I'm comfortable in front of people. The more shows you do it helps too. But that's one thing I'm grateful for PC for; bringing me out of my shell:)

Amanda,

Keep us updated. I have such a hard time getting catalog shows to work myself and you seem to have a good success rate. Any tips?

I guess I am one of the weird or lucky ones as I enjoy doing the shows. It is like a performance to me. When I get started, I forget about how nervous I was and just do the show. Like I said it is like it is a performance to me and I "pop" when I get on stage.

I am constantly critiquing myself after shows - Those of you that do good shows what is your secret. I followed my director on one of her shows and it seemed so smooth but of course she has done more than 900+ shows.

I wnat to get better about keeping people engaged during the demo

MicheleC said:
Amanda,

Keep us updated. I have such a hard time getting catalog shows to work myself and you seem to have a good success rate. Any tips?

I make the host feel like a catalog show is better than a home show (don't have to clean their house) - gets them every time! :D I'll post more later. Thx everyone!

pchefinski said:
That's right! You need to dream Big to achieve. Much success to you in earning your dreams.

dollfangs said:
I guess I am one of the weird or lucky ones as I enjoy doing the shows. It is like a performance to me. When I get started, I forget about how nervous I was and just do the show. Like I said it is like it is a performance to me and I "pop" when I get on stage.

Me too. Guess I still love to be on "stage" hehe. Not to mention I get great decorating ideas from going to all these different homes.

$500?wow Amanda,

your catalog show average is better than my cooking shows. I struggle to get to $400. Like everyone else has said this is YOUR business. If you're not comfortable with cooking shows don't do them. I wish you the best of luck doing your cattys. Im beginning to think that is the way to go. I'd be happy to be active for longer than a month:confused:

Amanda, I applaud you for doing what you think is right for you and your family. I am also going to 'downsize' my PC business some atleast for the next 4 or 5 months. I am going to school full time and having some issues with my 4 yr old in preschool. Both things that I feel are more important in the long run that how many shows I have a month. I hope you have TONS of success with the catalog shows. That's the route I'm going to try to take also. The only thing I'm worried about is the bookings. I usually get 1 or 2 bookings from every home show and I'm scared I won't get any w/ catalog shows.

It is great to hear of some folks having success w/catty & online only. I am seriously considering going this route as well. I haven't had a cooking show (full demo) since November as my day job has required 150% (LOL!)...and it looks like since my hard work paid off, my job is being restructured and I'll be taking on more responsibility. I don't want to give this up completely but am happy right now with just enough to keep me active for discounts and maybe try hard for promos the months they are good like Feb.

mom2leelee said:
Amanda, I applaud you for doing what you think is right for you and your family. I am also going to 'downsize' my PC business some atleast for the next 4 or 5 months. I am going to school full time and having some issues with my 4 yr old in preschool. Both things that I feel are more important in the long run that how many shows I have a month. I hope you have TONS of success with the catalog shows. That's the route I'm going to try to take also. The only thing I'm worried about is the bookings. I usually get 1 or 2 bookings from every home show and I'm scared I won't get any w/ catalog shows.
I think the only way to get bookings from catty shows is to host coach your butt off!! Tell her to show her friends how easy it was to host a catty show and how much free stuff she is getting while skipping the "party". Then once you get the orders I would call them all individually, go over their order, offer cross sell items, tell them the benefits of hosting for them and their host, and see what you get!!

Could you also maybe offer an incentive if she gets say 2 bookings off hers...maybe a small item or something? Ditto on recruits? Just a thought.

What does "Hanging My Apron up - Sort Of..." mean?

"Hanging My Apron up - Sort Of..." is a phrase used by Pampered Chef consultants to describe taking a break from actively selling Pampered Chef products, but still remaining a consultant and receiving the benefits of the business.

Why would someone choose to "hang their apron up"?

There are many reasons why a consultant may choose to "hang their apron up", such as focusing on other commitments or priorities, taking a break from the business to recharge, or transitioning to a different role within the company.

Can I still earn money as a consultant if I "hang my apron up"?

Yes, as a consultant, you can still earn money through your existing customers and team members, even if you are taking a break from actively selling Pampered Chef products.

Do I lose my consultant status if I "hang my apron up"?

No, "hanging your apron up" does not mean you lose your consultant status. You will still have access to your consultant account and all the benefits that come with it.

How do I "hang my apron up"?

To "hang your apron up", you can contact your Pampered Chef mentor or the company's consultant support team for assistance. They will guide you through the process and help you make the best decision for your business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• blarrabee
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • luvmypomeranian
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
mountainmama74
  • chellb1234